Author Topic: Corporal Christopher Raymond Chaulk-Petewawa  (Read 14457 times)

jobo

• View Profile
Corporal Christopher Raymond Chaulk-Petewawa
« on: May 10, 2010, 07:34:39 AM »
This was just announced that Cpl.Christopher Raymond Chaulk , signal operator, was charged with 4 sexual assaults. He was from Newfoundland/Labrador, and at Petewawa, before he was to be deployed to Afghanistan.  He was charged with 2 assaults on the base on May 6 & 8, and 2 from last fall.

amIam

Re: Corporal Christopher Raymond Chaulk-Petewawa
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2010, 08:34:37 AM »
Jobo, I didn't realise you had begun a thread for this guy.  I posted the news story on the Williams thread.  Sorry.
--------------------------------------

The Canadian Press

PETAWAWA, ONT.—A member of the Canadian Forces has been charged with four counts of sexual assault in connection with attacks on women at CFB Petawawa in eastern Ontario.

Canadian Forces officials say the charges stem from two incidents in the CFB Petawawa area in the fall of 2009, and two recent attacks this past week.

Authorities say on May 6, an unknown man broke into a home and sexually assaulted a woman who was alone.

The following day, a man sexually assaulted a woman walking outside. In both cases, the man fled the scene.

Cpl. Christopher Raymond Chaulk is charged with four counts of sexual assault and four counts of assault.

Chaulk has been a signal operator for seven years. His home unit is in St. John's, but he was in Petawawa for pre-deployment training ahead of going to Afghanistan.

Maj. Paule Poulin, a spokeswoman for the Canadian Forces, said she did not have the exact date Chaulk was supposed to leave the country, but it was "very soon."

Poulin said no warning was issued about the alleged attacks.

"With cases like this it's always treated on an individual basis. If there's need to go out and warn the population, it does go, but there was no warning issued from our office," said Poulin.

Chaulk currently is in custody at the Ottawa-Carleton Detention Centre, and will appear in Pembroke Provincial Court on Monday for a bail hearing on the allegations against him.

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/article/806773--soldier-charged-after-two-women-attacked-at-petawawa-base?bn=1

Woodland

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2010, 09:22:28 AM »
I take it Maj. Paule Poulin does not have a choice on what she says on behalf CF.

'Treated on an individual basis'?  Two attacks in the fall at CFB Petawawa, a murder of a CFB Trenton soldier also in the fall and no warning was issued?

I think a more accurate statement would be 'it's not my job'.

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2010, 04:34:38 PM »
Thankfully this man is behind bars. This has to have brought fear to the women in that area, especially since Williams was behind bars for sexual assaults and murder. This almost sounds like a copycat kind of thing. The women can now breath a little easier that he is behind bars. 8) 8) 8) 8)

amIam

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2010, 04:56:23 PM »
I find this very disturbing, I have always felt Williams was an abberation within the military, now with Chaulk, I am not so certain.

And now St. Johns, NF police are looking into Chaulk for several unsolved sexual assaults in and around where he was stationed in St. Johns.
-----------------------------------------------------------

Corporal charged in sex attacks at base
Police in St. John's also reviewing unsolved sex assaults
Last Updated: Monday, May 10, 2010 | 5:46 PM ET
CBC News
On May 6, a man broke into a home at CFB Petawawa and sexually assaulted a woman who was alone inside. On May 8, a man sexually assaulted a woman walking outside at the base. (CBC)
A Canadian Forces member appeared briefly in court Monday, charged with sexually assaulting four women living at CFB Petawawa or near the base northwest of Ottawa.

Cpl. Christopher Raymond Chaulk, who used to live in St. John's, will remain in the Ottawa-Carleton Detention Centre until his next court appearance at 1 p.m. Thursday in Pembroke, Ont. His bail hearing was put over until then, so he has time to find a lawyer to represent him, staff at the court office reported.

Chaulk is charged with four counts of sexual assault and four counts of assault causing bodily harm.

Five other charges were laid against Chaulk during the court appearance, including trespassing, breaking and entering and disguise with intent.

Meanwhile, the Royal Newfoundland Constabulary said it is reviewing some unsolved sexual assault cases that occurred while Chaulk was stationed in St. John's during 2008 and 2009.

Maj. Paule Poulin of the Canadian Forces provost martial said the charges laid Monday relate to alleged incidents that occurred May 6 and May 8. More charges could be laid, Poulin said.

Chaulk was arrested Saturday in relation to two sex assaults at CFB Petawawa in the early mornings of May 6 and 8 and two others in the area near the base in the fall of 2009. The base is about 160 kilometres northwest of Ottawa.

According to the Canadian Forces National Investigation Service, in the May 6 case, a man broke into a home and sexually assaulted a woman who was alone. In the May 8 incident, a man sexually assaulted a woman walking outside.

Chaulk, who worked as a military signal operator for seven years, came to Petawawa for pre-deployment training before being sent to Afghanistan.

Poulin told The Canadian Press she did not have the exact date Chaulk was supposed to leave the country, but it was "very soon."

Base commander Col. Keith Rudderham said he was “disappointed” at the news of the charges.

“We train our people to protect the public, not to attack them,” Rudderham said. “We are aware of recent developments, and we are in the process of reviewing case files."

News causes residents unease
Residents of the base who spoke to CBC News said the charges have shaken their sense of safety about living on the base.

"I've lived on bases before, and I've always felt safe," Naomi Gudlasson told CBC's Jeff Semple. "And now you just — you never know. Even the military isn't safe anymore."

An official from Canadian Forces Station St. John's said Chaulk, a regular member of the force, was transferred to St. John's in November 2008 and left in the fall of 2009 to work at Petawawa.

The official said Chaulk worked with the technical services section of CFS St. John's and specialized in trouble-shooting computer problems.

The Canadian Forces National Investigation Service is an independent military police unit that investigates serious and sensitive matters in relation to National Defence property, Department of National Defence employees and Canadian Forces personnel serving in Canada and abroad.

With files from CBC's Jeff Semple

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/ottawa/story/2010/05/10/nl-military-sexual-assault-510.html#ixzz0nfCxvIaT

Concerned

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2010, 09:31:48 PM »
Whatever happened with this case? Can't find a thing on it. What happened June 14th and what is the next step and when?

Chaulk to remain in custody

Posted By SEAN CHASE

Updated 2 months ago

A Petawawa soldier facing numerous sexual assault charges will remain in custody.

Cpl. Christopher Chaulk, 25 appeared via video from the Ottawa-Carleton Detention Centre Wednesday. He will next appear in a Pembroke court by video remand on June 14.

Dressed in an orange jump suit, Cpl. Chaulk listened intently as Justice of the Peace Nancy Mitchell granted a two-week adjournment to allow time for a counsel pre-trial which will take place on June 10. He spoke briefly with defence duty counsel before the adjournment was granted.

The soldier was originally based at Canadian Forces Station St. John's before being tasked to CFB Petawawa as a member of Task Force 1-10. He was to have deployed to Afghanistan when he was arrested on May 8 following a joint investigation by military police, the Ontario Provincial Police and the Canadian Forces National Investigation Service (CFNIS).
He is charged in connection with incidents alleged to have occurred at the base on May 6 and 8, 2010 and Sept. 26 and Nov. 29, 2009.

In relation to the May 6 and 8 occurrences, Cpl. Chaulk is charged with two counts of sexual assault, two counts of assault causing bodily harm, two counts of break and enter with intent to commit an indictable offence, one count with intent to commit an indictable offence had his face covered, breaking out of a dwelling house after committing a sexual assault and loitering.

He is also charged with two counts each of sexual assault and assault dating back to two alleged incidents at the CFB /ASU Petawawa last fall.

A court-imposed publication ban prevents the identities of the victims from being released. A ban on the publication of evidence has been ordered by the courts.

(with files from Tina Peplinskie)

Sean Chase is a Daily Observer reporter
http://www.thedailyobserver.ca/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=2606136

amIam

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2010, 04:36:13 AM »
Petawawa soldier faces more charges
Last Updated: Monday, August 23, 2010 | 7:45 PM ET Comments1Recommend0CBC News
A Canadian Forces soldier originally charged with four sexual assaults in May is now facing more charges.

Cpl. Raymond Chaulk, 25, was charged with attacking four women in and around CFB Petawawa between September 2009 and May 2010.

At the time of his arrest, police said they would look at other unsolved cases that Chaulk might be connected to.

Chaulk now faces a total of 17 charges involving five victims in the Kingston and Petawawa areas.

The charges include five counts of sexual assault, as well as assault causing bodily harm, break and enter, and wearing a disguise.

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/ottawa/story/2010/08/23/chaulk-charges.html#ixzz0xWCaR91O

amIam

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2010, 04:12:42 PM »
News has been scant on Chaulk but LE seem to have been very busy as further charges against him have been laid.  So far no murder charges have been laid as in the " alleged" case against
RW but so far the additional charges have been but up to 17..one short of CFB Trenton's base commander, Colonel Russell David Williams.  Chaulk is reported to be 25 yrs old, Williams is an old guy by comparison.  I wonder if Williams will be ticked off that this guy might outshine him....?

Another curious note I find that in the case of Chaulk, the comment section on CBC is open but in the case of Williams any comment section in any major newspaper or media source has been closed since day one.  I wonder what give with that?

Concerned

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2010, 06:10:51 PM »
Please tell me we don't have a secret lil ole boys network going on here. These are just random acts sick individuals?  I suppose we can still say that compared to the normal population, there are some bad apples...so are we only going to find two? Or, do we need to be checking our inventory and backgrounds, and rethinking our processes yet?

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2010, 09:17:51 PM »
Sounds to me like this little Cpl is following in Mr. W's footsteps. Maybe he wanted to make Colonel someday. The services will have to change their screening processes most definitely.  But, those that pass, can still turn ugly.   The Camp Liason , and Military Police should meet on a regular basis with the local LE to get regular updates on the crimes occurring within the community. Half the knowing never hurts. Too late, in finding out after the fact that one of their members is doing these types of things. I think it is time.

me

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2010, 11:37:08 AM »
Growing up in the rural community of Renfrew County, I frequently heard whispers about rapes and disappearances on and around the base in Petewawa.  A comment would be made, and immediately hushed.  I don't know if it was because I was a child, or if people thought that they were unfounded rumours, or a bit of both.  One of the reason's that I started coming to this site, was to search for information on disappearances in that area.

amIam

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2010, 04:42:42 PM »
Call me pessimistic but given what we now know regarding RW, Chaulk and the unnamed military person from CFB Trenton who committed incest against his daughter for years..and has resecently plead guilty, there are more than a few bad apples.  And then of course there is the former Chaplain up on charges. 

Please tell me we don't have a secret lil ole boys network going on here. These are just random acts sick individuals?  I suppose we can still say that compared to the normal population, there are some bad apples...so are we only going to find two? Or, do we need to be checking our inventory and backgrounds, and rethinking our processes yet?