Welcome to UnsolvedCanada.ca

This forum lists unsolved murders and missing people from Canada and other related discussions. If you wish to add a case, please create an account and add it, or send the information using the 'Contact' link on the top menu. Please Read The Rules Here.

Question:

Why are many people unwilling to provide tips to police that could solve a murder?

Author Topic: Steven Michael Hall - 21 - Murdered - 1996 Chester, NS  (Read 6369 times)

itdoesntmatter

• View Profile
Steven Michael Hall - 21 - Murdered - 1996 Chester, NS
« on: May 08, 2010, 08:21:46 AM »
http://gov.ns.ca/just/Public_Safety/Rewards/case_detail.asp?cid=58

Homicide
DOB: 74-06-16

The Government of the Province of Nova Scotia is offering rewards of up to one hundred and fifty thousand dollars ($150,000) for information leading to the arrest and conviction of the person(s) responsible for the murder of Steven Michael HALL.

Steven Hall disappeared on Saturday, April 27, 1996. He left his parentís home in Seffernville, Lunenburg County, around 10:30 AM. Mr. Hall paid a bill at the Ultramar in Chester Basin. While at the service station, Mr. Hall was seen having a brief conversation with a person in a vehicle at the gas pumps. Mr. Hall last seen hitchhiking on Highway #3 towards Chester.

Mr. Hallís body was discovered on November 23, 1996, in a wooded area on the Hogg Lot Road, which is off Highway #14, approximately 13 kms North of the Chester area. This was seven months after his disappearance. It was determined that he died of unnatural causes. An extensive investigation ensued, however, no criminal charges have been laid. Although this investigation remains unsolved, it is still ongoing.

Any person with information regarding the person(s) responsible for the murder of Steven Michael HALL should call the Rewards for Major Unsolved Crimes Program at 1-888-710-9090.

The reward is payable in Canadian funds and will be apportioned as deemed just by the Minister of Justice for the Province of Nova Scotia. Employees of law enforcement and correctional agencies are not eligible to collect this reward.

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
Re: Steven Michael Hall - 21 - Murdered - 1996 Chester, NS
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2011, 11:30:58 PM »
Why would any provincial govt pay up to $150,000 for a solving of this crime?  Never heard of that ever before.  Was he an employee.  Also that is tax payers money.  I don't get it.Crime Stoppers will pay $2,000. IMO Something is strange here. ???

Peace
JB

whispersoftly

• justice ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2011, 10:35:17 AM »
Taken from the govt site

Homicide
DOB: 74-06-16

Mr. Hallís body was discovered on November 23, 1996, in a wooded area on the Hogg Lot Road, which is off Highway #14, approximately 13 kms North of the Chester area. This was seven months after his disappearance. It was determined that he died of unnatural causes. An extensive investigation ensued, however, no criminal charges have been laid. Although this investigation remains unsolved, it is still ongoing.

It was a murder.... he's not any better or worse than some of the other cases that reward money (the $150,000) is being offered for.
and if the only rumor surrounding his murder is true, you don't have to worry about your tax money being paid out.
No one will speak up about it, even today the rumor is whispered. seriously it is whispered!!!!

no he wasn't a govt employee just a labourer I think, an average joe.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2011, 11:01:59 AM by whispersoftly »

jellybean

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2011, 06:10:26 PM »
Whisper: I did not mean that this young man was not worth $150,000.00.  What I should have said,is reward money is about $2,500 from Crime Stoppers in my community.
In our province $150,000 reward money would have to be raised by individuals and posted . Our province cannot afford $150,000 for each person missing, etc.  Crimes are never published on our provincial government publications either. Such differences between provinces ay? Setting that aside, how tragic and this may not be solved - ever? Someone in a high position perhaps or one of their relatives. (only guessing)
PEACE
JB
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 06:18:38 PM by jellybean »

whispersoftly

• justice ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2011, 07:07:22 AM »
.. mostly because of connections the person(suspect) has  :-\. If true, they're scary
Also He was on the crimestoppers thingy for years until rather recently, and the family themselves have/had a reward to offer ....I think they did, because I remember reading posters that had a reward when he first went missing, so I dont know if they're still offering it or not.

edited to remove stuff I thought better of... :-X

« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 12:31:40 PM by whispersoftly »

friendofafriend

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2012, 10:09:02 PM »
This message is to whispersoftly......could you please contact me with regards to the Steven Hall murder, I am not sure if you can send me a private message or not.

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2012, 04:51:59 PM »
Why would any provincial govt pay up to $150,000 for a solving of this crime?  Never heard of that ever before.  Was he an employee.  Also that is tax payers money.  I don't get it.Crime Stoppers will pay $2,000. IMO Something is strange here. ???

Peace
JB
There are several murders in Nova Scotia that are now offering the same reward for  solving the crimes. There is nobody in N.S. that has said one negative thing about this reward that is a new thing being done by our government. I am all for it. We need to get these killers off the street. To think that a young man hitched a ride in his own community and ended up murdered for nothing but a few dollars, it is pathetic. I do remember this case. I never heard a soul here in N.S. say anything about these great rewards being posted. I am for it.

friendofafriend

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2012, 09:15:11 PM »
I don't know why people are so closed lipped about the rumours surrounding Steven's death. I have been doing research and digging on this case for awhile now and I have actually talked to mediums. I found out alot of information but not ready to come forward yet....the time will come and his killer (s) will be brought to justice. I made a promise to Steven that I will not stop until justice has prevailed.

SAP

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2012, 10:50:38 PM »
Chester is only about 2 1/2 hours from Stellarton where a family man was also shot the same way. Is there a connection possibly?

rebelgirl

• Reaching Everyone By Exposing Lies
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2012, 08:34:11 AM »
Mounties seek new leads in decade-old death of Steven Hall

By LISA BROWN

COUNTY - It's been 10 years since Steven Hall was murdered and no one has ever been charged with the crime, but police haven't given up hope that sooner or later they'll catch a break in the case.

"Somebody out there has that information. It's just a matter of getting to it," Sgt. Frank Skidmore said April 27 at an RCMP news conference held on the anniversary of the young man's death.

Steven Michael Hall was 21 years old on April 27, 1996, when his younger sister dropped him off in Chester Basin. He was on his way to East Chester to visit his girlfriend that Saturday morning.

He'd spent a few months in British Columbia the previous year, then returned to Seffernsville in December and was scheduled to start a new job tuna fishing two days later.

But Steven didn't show up for work. He didn't show up anywhere. It was as if he simply vanished. For seven months, his family had no idea where he was or what had happened to him.

Then, on November 23, a hunter discovered Steven's remains in a wooded area near Hogg Lot Road off Highway 14. He'd been shot to death.

"Since that time, the investigation has been ongoing. South West Nova major crime unit as well as Chester detachment are still working on the murder and are still looking for information," Sgt. Skidmore said last week.

Investigators have never revealed whether Steven died at Hogg Lot Road or if his body was dumped there. They came as close as they've ever come to confirming he was killed there last week, when they said at one point an anonymous tipster reported hearing gunshots in that area around the time of Steven's disappearance. A light-coloured van was seen leaving the area.

That van could be the piece that will solve the entire puzzle surrounding Steven's death. Mounties know at least four people in a van were looking for Steven the previous evening.
 "The only thing we can release is that they were looking for him that night," major crimes investigator Cst. Ken Snook said. "Witnesses say they were asking near the Chester arena."

Police don't have a licence plate number. They aren't even certain if it was a Nova Scotia plate.

The following day after his sister dropped him off in Chester Basin around 10:30 a.m., Steven cashed a $278 cheque at the Petro-Canada station. He walked to the Ultramar and paid off a $19 bill. He was seen talking to two people in a small red car, then hitchhiking on the Middle River hill. Police don't know if the red car is significant, but those people have never come forward.

"Again, those people must know who they are. If they chose to come forward and discuss it with us, it might prove to be helpful," Sgt. Skidmore said Thursday.

Investigators would also like to speak to the tipster who heard the gunshots near the Hogg Lot Road.

"If they have more information and would like to come forward and talk to the police, of course that would be ideal. We'd have more questions for that individual," Sgt. Skidmore said.

Whether the Hogg Lot Road is significant, no one is certain. The woods road runs between Highway 12 and Highway 14 and had only opened that day or the day before. Police say that could indicate the killers knew the area, but they also may have stumbled on the road looking for an out-of-the-way location.

As with many violent crimes where motivation is unclear, there have been rumours in the community that drugs were involved in Steven's death. Mounties neither confirm nor deny that.

"It wouldn't be fair to speculate as to whether or not drugs played any kind of a role," Sgt. Skidmore said.

"We do know that there's people out there in the community who probably know what went on and probably have a lot of other information about Steven Hall and his associates which might prove to be helpful," he added. "So anybody who has even the slightest bit of information, whether even they think it might be helpful or not, if they come forward sometimes the smallest clue can be that one clue that you're looking for that can pull the whole story together."

Although it has now been a decade since the young man was killed, Sgt. Skidmore said investigators and his family remain hopeful that the murder will be solved.

"It could still happen, there's no question," Sgt. Skidmore said. "Ten years may not make any difference. There's lots of older murders than that that do eventually get solved and usually it results from someone coming forward with some new information."

"http://www.southshorenow.ca/archives/2006/050306/news/13.html"

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2012, 10:08:36 AM »
Steven Michael Hall is pictured below.

friendofafriend

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2013, 02:30:56 PM »
When did the murder in Stellarton take place ?????

jellybean

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2013, 03:35:40 PM »
Quote police: "We do know that there's people out there in the community who probably know what went on and probably have a lot of other information about Steven Hall and his associates which might prove to be helpful,"

The fact that 4 people in the same car were out looking for him says quite alot -- He may have owed them money.
Guns?  Gun shots heard?  He was targetted for murder.  Do good citizens carry guns?
Or did the 4 people out looking for him, carry the guns?

Jb

lostlove36

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2013, 04:22:03 PM »
I hope this murder gets solved and soon! Steven was a wonderful person and had a heart of gold! He was a dear friend of my family and is truly missed by all of us! I know someone who heard a rumor as to what happened to him and someone I know called crimestoppers and nothing was done! This case needs to be reopened or have some action taken to talk to people who HAVE HEARD THINGS!!!! Steven did not deserve to die and whoever did this WILL be caught! RIP Steven! We will always love you!

Besani

• Searching for Kimberly McAndrew! August 12, 1989
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2014, 04:23:35 PM »
I was in Chester the other day and was thinking about Steven. Hoping one day someone will do the right thing and confess to his murder.

A garden of tears: the murder of Kathryn-Mary Herbert

A casefile of events and story related to the 1975 murder of Kathryn Mary Herbert (Sutton).

Click Here