Author Topic: Pedophile Toft released from custody after violating a court order that bans him  (Read 1233 times)

Edsonmom

  • Member
  • Posts: 790
    • View Profile
Pedophile Toft released from custody
Last Updated: Tuesday, May 4, 2010 | 11:27 AM MT
CBC News
A convicted sex offender accused of violating a court order that bans him from visiting public places where children are often present has been released from custody.

Karl Toft, 73, appeared in an Edmonton court on Tuesday and was released on a $1,000, no-cash deposit. He is due back in court on May 25.

Toft now must report to police weekly rather than monthly, which was the original reporting requirement imposed when he was released from an Edmonton halfway house in 2005.

He had been released from prison to the halfway house in October 2002, three years before the end of his 13-year sentence for sexually assaulting 18 boys while working as a guard at the Kingsclear Youth Training Centre in New Brunswick.

Edmonton police said they received a call from a member of the public Friday night who said they spotted Toft in a fast food restaurant. That violates one of the 18 conditions Toft is subject to, police said.

Toft was arrested at his home on Friday night.

Toft was convicted in 1992 of assaulting boys at the youth detention centre between the mid-1960s and the 1980s.

He has since admitted to assaulting a total of 200 boys over a 35-year period.


Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/edmonton/story/2010/05/04/toft-arrest-release-condition.html#ixzz0mzhLweHB

Chris

  • Administrator
  • Member
  • Posts: 7215
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
What a stupid judge. I mean come on, they did not ahve to let him out.

Sap1

  • Member
  • Posts: 1178
    • View Profile
Karl Toft dead! Not sure exactly to where his soul was delivered!

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/karl-toft-pedophile-kingsclear-dead-1.4640582

A pedophile who spent over a decade in prison for sexually assaulting boys while he was employed as a guard at the Kingsclear reform school in New Brunswick has died.

Karl Toft died in Edmonton Saturday morning from lung cancer, according to Charles Ingles, a close friend who met Toft through a community program when the offender was still living in an Edmonton halfway house.

He was 81.

Toft served 13 years in prison after he pleaded guilty in 1992 to 34 charges related to the abuse of boys at the school near Fredericton. He later admitted to assaulting 200 boys over a 35-year period.

RubyRose

  • Member
  • Posts: 607
    • View Profile
I'm not sure who would even want his soul, Sap1, but if he was being truthful and honest, I guess that's a good thing.  Personally, I'm skeptical of anything Karl Toft would say but at least wherever he is, he is in a place where he can't hurt anyone else.  And it does appear that he tried to abide by the terms of his parole toward the end of his life.

He may have been able to obtain a degree of peace before his passing but I wonder how many of his victims, at least those who are still alive, have truly been able to escape their demons.  The poor boys, most of whom were really not bad boys, had two strikes against them to begin with and then to have to deal with that monster.

It makes me so angry to know that this abuse was able to go on for years and that successive NB governments (and both parties of the day were equally guilty) just swept it under the rug as though the boys were worthless.