Author Topic: Kleman trial to start April 26/2010!! Daily updates & discussion..  (Read 25866 times)

Edsonmom

• View Profile
Starting tomorrow April 26/2010 Global new Edmonton will be following Kleman's trial, and will update the days events on the 6:00 pm news.. For those who can get to the trial in person, it is at the Hinton Provincial court house @ 10:00 am. For all others, the link to Global Edmonton is http://www.globaltvedmonton.com/
I will also post a breif up date here daily as well, as soon as I hear something..

Soon Emily & her family will get the justice, they so deserve..
Still think of you every day Emily.. We miss and love you!!

Edsonmom

• View Profile
Re: Kleman trial to start April 26/2010!! Daily updates & discussion..
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2010, 10:58:54 AM »
First update of the day..

FROM THE FOX NEWSROOM:

Today's Top Stories

(Monday, April 25th)

A high-profile Edson murder case gets underway in a Hinton courtroom this week. The Ross Edward Kleman trial starts today at 10AM. The 43 year old former town of Edson employee faces a first degree charge in the murder of 14 year old Emily Stauffer. The charge means Kleman was allegedly following a plan, and the act was not spontaneous. The incident took place in late September of 2008 when Kleman allegedly attacked Stauffer on Edson town trails. A search followed, with a cash reward offered.... leading to the eventual arrest of Kleman. He has previously plead not guilty to the charge, and waived a preliminary hearing to proceed with the trial.
http://www.thefoxradio.ca/index.asp?mn=4&id=125&cc=2

Edsonmom

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2010, 12:10:11 PM »
This breif update comes from Global Edmonton Noon hour news..

Trial was to start @ 10:00 am today, was delayed until 1:30 this afternoon, where Kleman is expected to enter his plea.. Kleman was in person at court, and they said he has let his hair grow out, and kept his face down during his quick appearance this morning..
Will update again, when I hear more..

I do have a question though.. Kleman already entered a plea of not guilty back when he was first charged.. So why today, is he entering another plea.. what does this mean, is it because he is going to change his plea, or is it the normal thing, after the preliminary hearing was waived?? does anyone know..
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 12:40:43 PM by Edsonmom »

Edsonmom

• View Profile
Re: Kleman trial to start April 26/2010!! KLEMAN PLEADS GUILTY
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2010, 02:47:11 PM »
BREAKING NEWS:  ROSS EDWARD KLEMAN PLEADS GUILTY   ;D ;D ;D ;D  YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! will give you more with next update..

Ross Edward Kleman appeared in Hinton court today and pled Guilty in the death of 14 year old Emily Stauffer.  All the details at 3pm on The FOX. 

Edsonmom

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2010, 03:06:53 PM »
K guys.. He was charged with FDM, why did he plea guilty to SDM ?? was this part of a deal??
They kept the sexual touching charges, but why drop it down to SDM??
I need help with this one, any idea's??

Edsonmom

• View Profile
Kleman Trial..The guilty plea was bargained-down
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2010, 03:39:06 PM »
So what was the Bargain for?? all of the other charges are still there..

BREAKING NEWS:  ROSS EDWARD KLEMAN PLEADS GUILTY

Ross Edward Kleman could be heading to prison for a life-time sentence after pleading guilty to second degree murder in connection with the death of 14-year old Edson resident Emily Stauffer in September 2008. Kleman killed Stauffer on a trail in the North-West end of Edson and was later arrested after an extensive search.

The guilty plea was bargained-down from original charges of First Degree Murder, and the 45 year old former Town of Edson employee could face life in prison with parole opportunities. Kleman also pleaded guilty to unrelated sexual assault charges.

He will have a chance to address the public at his sentencing on June 9th at 10am in a Hinton provincial court room. Psychiatric exams have also been ordered for Kleman as he had no previous criminal record.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 03:40:38 PM by Edsonmom »

Edsonmom

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2010, 04:32:08 PM »
This one has a bit different information..The statement in red, is comming from Pastor Jim's ex wife.. The one we have discussed through out other related threads..

Klemen pleads guilty to second-degree murder of Edson girl
Updated 27 mins ago

By Marilyn Gray

The man accused with the 2008 murder of 14-year-old Emily Stauffer pleaded guilty to second degree murder in a plea bargain today at the Court of Queen's Bench in Hinton and will face sentencing June 9.

Ross Edward Klemen, 44, also pleaded guilty to two counts of touching a five-year-old in a sexual manner in 2008.

Kleman, a former minister, has been ordered to undergo a psychiatric assessment that will assist in sentencing, but will not be used to determine if he is not criminally responsible.

It was read into the record that the Edson man intentionally caused the death of Emily Stauffer, a 14-year-old girl who was walking on a trail in Edson Sept. 27, 2008.

Kleman struggled with her, choked her and slashed her throat which caused her death.

With the guilty plea, Kleman will be sentenced with a minimum of a life term for the murder.

Kleman had no criminal record prior to his arrest in connection with Stauffer's murder.

He did not speak during today's appearance other than to confirm his age, but will be given the opportunity to speak to the court before being sentenced.

"I will give Mr. Kleman a chance to speak and probably won't record the conviction or issue a statement until after that," said Judge L.J. Smith who is presiding over Kleman's proceedings.

Emilie Findlay had known Kleman well for many years while working with him at the Bread of Life Mission in Edson and described him as a generous man with "a heart of gold."

"He ended up to be totally different than what he [seemed]," said Findlay, "God will forgive him [but] maybe others won't."

Findlay also knew Emily Stauffer, whose father is the minister at the local Baptist Church in Edson.

"She was a lovely girl, she sang and played the piano and had a lot in her future," she said. "It's so sad. It's something that happens all the time but when it really happens [to you] you're never prepared."

http://www.hintonparklander.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=2551379

Edsonmom

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2010, 08:46:46 PM »

Edsonmom

• View Profile
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 11:36:44 PM by Edsonmom »

Edsonmom

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2010, 09:57:51 PM »
Funny thing is Des, that today, the talk in Edson, is that the town wants him looked into for not only Margarets death, but also the Hiway of tears.. this is what we here, have been saying all along.. Many are now comming forward, saying that they know, Emily was not his first..
If you look at the video from today, the whole town agrees that Kleman looks healthier now, then when he was arrested..

Edsonmom

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2010, 10:36:17 PM »
I hate to say it, but I think the hardest part for them is yet to come, with giving a victims impact statement, and having to see him face to face.. I know it will be really hard for them if Kleman does speak to them on that day, as he has the right to address the public..
I don't know if you have watched the video I posted a few weeks back, the interview that Emily's parents gave, but Emily's mom said, that she herself, is not even sure, if she has started the greiving proccess yet..I really think, that once this is all over, that it is going to hit them both, harder, than it has in the past year and a half..
I know the judge is planning on giving a statement as well, when this is all over.. I am interested to hear what he/she has to say..

Edsonmom

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2010, 11:01:17 PM »
I agree.. I know that they have been getting a great deal of support, from not only the town, but from their church family, through out the world as well. In her interview, she says, that sometimes, she wishes that she did not have to deal with this in the public eye, but others, she is grateful, because they have more support, than they could ever dream. Her faith in God, has been the biggest support for her, and I am glad that she has that, as many who are strong believers, lose their faith, when something like this happens..
I don't think Emily's parents or siblings will ever have closure from this.. It is something they will have to live with, for the remainder of their lives, and with every holiday, every fall, every day with out her, it will always be in their minds..
May 8 would have been Emily's 16th birthday. :'( :'(
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 11:03:17 PM by Edsonmom »

D1

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2010, 11:51:50 PM »
We had mentioned this earlier about the possibility of a "deal" in the works for Kleman. Sure the family is spared the ordeal but questioning is cut short and other suspicious cases go by the wayside. With the upcoming psyc tests and the tumour rumour yet to play out, this isn't over and done yet. Many wanted a deeper investigation for all the victims and all the reasons previously mentioned; its not likely to happen now. Watch closely how this unfolds, it just doesn't feel right IMO. I was under the impression that psyc tests were supposed to be done prior to making a deal! Otherwise, how do you know what you are dealing with and chancing to be let out again?

The guilty plea was bargained-down from original charges of First Degree Murder, and the 45 year old former Town of Edson employee could face life in prison with parole opportunities. Kleman also pleaded guilty to unrelated sexual assault charges.

He will have a chance to address the public at his sentencing on June 9th at 10am in a Hinton provincial court room. Psychiatric exams have also been ordered for Kleman as he had no previous criminal record.

nander

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2010, 01:37:39 PM »
Hi Everyone,
I am an Edson resident and after finding this site in March, have read all of the posts about this case and have been intrigued by the different outlooks into Kleman. I have mentioned this site to various family members and friends and about Kleman being suspected in various cases. Many that I have talked to have the same opinion - we think he is guilty of more than just Emily's murder.
I however, do not agree with the pyschiatric evaluation that has been ordered (due to him not having a criminal record). I think he managed to stay under the radar in previous cases not to have had a criminal record.
I hope that other cases are looked into and if he is responsible that he pays for the senseless loss of life of his victims.