Welcome to UnsolvedCanada.ca

This forum lists unsolved murders and missing people from Canada and other related discussions. If you wish to add a case, please create an account and add it, or send the information using the 'Contact' link on the top menu. Please Read The Rules Here.

Question:

Why are many people unwilling to provide tips to police that could solve a murder?

Author Topic: Abigail Andrews | 28 | Missing | Pregnant | Fort. St. John | April 7, 2010  (Read 30037 times)

cana_nomad

• View Profile
Re: Abigail Andrews | 28 | Missing | Pregnant | Fort. St. John | April 7, 2010
« Reply #105 on: September 16, 2012, 12:00:05 AM »
In reading the father of her baby saying that he was meeting up with her to discuss what to do about everything (the pregnancy and all that relates to it, etc)- I know they ruled out his DNA, but have they ruled out this man's wife?  Were there traces of anyone else being there, unbeknownst to Abigail until she showed up?  I'm wondering if she walked into a setup?

what disturbs me the most is how far along she was.  If she was murdered, what became of the baby?  I wonder how to go about finding out if there were abandoned babies left with child protection services/hospitals across Canada around when Abigail would have given birth? 

I realize how paranoid this next part sounds, but stranger things have happened- could Abigail have decided to adopt the baby out, and perhaps to the father and his wife?  Perhaps she felt she couldn't care for it?  Or, she could have been forced to give it up, under threat perhaps?

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: September 17, 2012, 11:58:20 AM »
I believe Abigail was murdered. I believe she was murdered the night she went to meet up with this so called person to talk about the baby. It was a setup, of course it was, there was plans to harm her and get her out of the way. Something happened. People don't just disappear who are pregnant, go over to have a few words with someone and nobody sees them anymore. The common sense has gone out the window here and Fort St. John sure doesn't sound like a good place to live. Totally unacceptable if some bastard is getting away with a crime like this. This could be another Lacey Peterson, remember the case, he murdered her on Christmas Eve, imagine and threw her body in the ocean. This SOB could have done the same thing. ABIGAIL'S CASE HAS TO BE INVESTIGATED. COME ON FORT ST. JOHN, GET THIS CASE SOLVED. >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

art-hu

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: September 17, 2012, 06:36:52 PM »
I still think that Abigail had a stalker. She worked at the bar. She disappeared leaving the boyfriends house,? evening ,dark street, no one saw anything.?  I don't think the baby's father knows anything.  I agree cape it was a set-up, but by some one that knew she was going to visit him. I think Abigail is being held against her will. And I agree cape, Abigail's case should be investigated, this case should get solved and the perps put where they belong.

SAP

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 17, 2012, 08:59:59 PM »
The search for Abigail went very quiet. About the same time Abigail was removed from Missing persons list, the family were also resigned as to her fate. None of it was shared with the public as to why.

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: September 18, 2012, 03:04:27 PM »
There was no report of anyone stalking Abigail. The last known person she saw was having coffee with her. But who saw her leaving his residence?????? And why did things get so quiet????? They seemed very tight lipped on the west coast. We hear this over and over again, nobody wants to talk about anything that went on. There are several missing women and it is quite evident where they were. Just think about all of the women on here in the west that just disappeared. I believe the guy she went to see has something to do with her disappearance. Was she walking??? Was she driving? Where is the vehicle she drove in??? Did the police investigate this man thoroughly. Like did he have a bank account that there was a big advance of money taken out??? Did he pay someone to get rid of Abi???? All of these questions would be definitely on my list. And if it was my sister or family member, I'd be sitting on the doorstep of the police station. I'd be squawking day and night about it and not letting it rest. They'd do something or they wouldn't have a job. >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

eyeswideopen

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: September 18, 2012, 06:39:24 PM »
Has it in fact been aserted that she actually left the babys fathers house, or is it just his word we are trusting, after all he was a married man, so how good is his word. JMO.

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: September 18, 2012, 07:45:50 PM »
Eyes, exactly. He is the last known person to have seen her. And we'll look at Kyron's case and there were many witnesses, but yet they accuse Teri of doing something to Kyron. But this lady went to an apartment, a place that she was alone with the individual, something surely could be suspicious here. He had a motive to make her disappear, that is what I'm getting at. I say he knows exactly what happened to Abi. :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

Concerned

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: November 17, 2012, 09:38:06 AM »
Could the father be cleared, but still involved? This reminds me of the story from the states http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2012/05/pregnant-woman-who-was-kidnapped-set-on-fire-and-shot-gives-birth/  where a pregnant woman was lured to a drive-in movie by the baby-daddy. After the movie she drove him to his girlfriend's home where she pulled into the garage, but then the garage door shut unexpectantly behind them. She was attacked by the baby-daddy's friend who had agreed to help his friend murder her for free. They kidnapped her by gunpoint, gagged her, tied her up and blind-folded, then took her to an alley. They poured liquid on her and set her on fire. She was able to get out of the car and began rolling around on the ground trying to put the fire out. When that didn't work, they shot her in the back. At that point she played dead until the men left.  She was somehow able to get to her mother's house and taken to the hospital. The baby was delivered by emergency C-section one month early. Both mother and baby survived.

I tell this story because it is another twist on the pregnant mother missing or found murdered. In this case she was pregnant with the baby-daddy's third child. He had a girlfriend. It appears he thought it would be best to take care of the situation and make it go away. One scenario. In other cases we hear of a woman who told her boyfriend a lie that she was pregnant to keep them together and she "steals" a baby by abducting a woman. A third scenario is baby trafficking; following a pregnant mother to have babies to traffic. The fourth, is scenario is women wanting a baby of their own and taking them. The fifth is the spouse/girlfriend of the baby-daddy.

I can't help but think that Abigail's situation falls into one of these. There is a lesson here, though. If you are not married and you become pregnant, you need to be extra cautious if you do not have an iron-clad relationship with the baby-daddy. Babies are life changers for many. Add to that, they require financial commitment, time and extended relationships between parents. There are panic emotions involved by many.  Sometimes I wonder if the new mom is in a fantasy expectation and does't see the warning signs of possible harm. Perhaps they should be  schooled on the risks so they can be vigilent of not putting themselves into harm's way.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2012, 09:41:14 AM by Concerned »

D1

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 17, 2012, 02:17:15 PM »
I agree with all of the above, the "situation" points at a most likely highly probable poi. No arrest does not mean someone is innocent of the crime, possibly just not enough evidence. Abigail did not fit other usual case scenarios of high risk lifestyle with multiple potential poi origins. I wonder the level of investigation, the modern day forensics that were employed at the time? Did this just fall through the cracks due to location of occurance and inexperience of investigators? Could forensics play a role even today if called upon? Speculation can lead to probable locations where one may dispose of a body. Look at what sort of vehicle the poi has, the terrain involved, the time schedule, the past experience etc.. Abigail was a big girl, too hard to carry too far off a road. Which road to take how far?

SAP

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 17, 2012, 05:53:20 PM »
According to what has already been said, Abigail's parents were resigned to the fact Abigail was deceased and seemed to be wanted to be spared the details. Missing signs came down, etc. What choices did police have to press on?
I don't understand this at all.

D1

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: November 17, 2012, 06:26:50 PM »
It shouldn't require family or friends pushing the Police to carry on a search. There may well be a killer on the loose. Resignation to the apparent fact of Abigails demise is obvious and very sad. Best hope maybe someday her remains will be found and she can be laid to rest in proper and respectful fashion despite all all else.

SAP

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: November 17, 2012, 06:42:05 PM »
D1, please reread this thread listed below. There were new recruits; also explains lack of search efforts by some and when police take the person off the missing list ... what is one to think? They usually only take the person off the official list if they are alive somewhere or found deceased.

http://www.unsolvedcanada.ca/index.php?topic=3413.75

This can't be passed off as shoddy police work imo.

D1

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: November 17, 2012, 07:26:35 PM »
I read your links SAP and more. Your later posts in reply explain your position . You may be right.. the what if otherwise though is troubling. One could be an illusion to cover something else. Why else would they say the Police did so much investigating originally if she disappeared on her own free will? ?

Sorry, rephrase: If murder was involved, there is only one viable poi that fits under the circumstance. I myself cannot see her having to move away from home due to what is being said, that being the child by married man thing unless that man is very well connected and wealthy. Its not the life changing condition it once was years ago with no lasting stigma attached imo.

I understand the perception there may be motive for her to move away and start a new life and some accept that. If that is so, it is only the manner in which it has been carried out that is causing all the problems and her friends should have been made more aware of what happened. For her to disappear so totally and completely under circumstance such as this is highly unusual almost a throw back to something that may have occured generations back or under something akin to islamic law.

As far as the Police, I know they are under no obligation to say so if a person wishes to willingly disappear but they know it is not right to carry on in this manner. In a recent similar case out of Kamloops (Ted Tree) where everyone was searching high and low for a missing man resulted in Police issuing a statement. That should have been done here imo. Its not good to have something like that going on where well meaning citizens are searching and expending resources and energy for nothing. Much like crying wolf when there is no danger, you do that often enough and people quit searching or helping in other instances where they should be. Otherwise the suspicion and sideways innuendo linger..

Maybe not so much shoddy Police work as shoddy handling and poor pr. Say so imo.. or the possibilities remain.

SAP

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: November 17, 2012, 07:40:48 PM »
That's just it, I really have no position. I find it confusing totally. I don't understand a family being resigned to unknowns without proof. Nothing makes sense. Yet I also don't think Abigail is having a secret life with her child somewhere ... there really was no need for that unless the baby's father was threatening.
If he didn't want to ruin his own family life (wife and kids) he sure didn't think things through well at all. He should have thought that taking a life and disposing of the person would get him in hotter water. It does not make sense.

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: November 18, 2012, 08:15:48 PM »
There maybe a method to this madness that is going on in this investigation. Maybe they feel if they took those signs down and such, that the murderer would slip up and relax and feel he had gotten away with something. This does not add up, the way this investigation is going. It has nothing to do with what the parents want, a person is missing. Because sometimes parents harm their children, so police don't listen to that kind of advice. I never heard of anything so stupid. Everybody has the right to the law, everyone has the right to be found, if something has happened to them. I certainly wouldn't rest until this case was solved, if it was anyone I was related to. And especially knowing where they were before they disappeared. Someone has gotten away with murder. Every day, I get sick to my stomach at these cases that are all across this country. Come on police, please get this case solved. Nobody has the right to call off an investigation. There must be somebody that loved Abigail Andrews, she had a life, she was having a baby. I don't get it. :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

A garden of tears: the murder of Kathryn-Mary Herbert

A casefile of events and story related to the 1975 murder of Kathryn Mary Herbert (Sutton).

Click Here