Welcome to UnsolvedCanada.ca

This forum lists unsolved murders and missing people from Canada and other related discussions. If you wish to add a case, please create an account and add it, or send the information using the 'Contact' link on the top menu. Please Read The Rules Here.

Question:

Why are many people unwilling to provide tips to police that could solve a murder?

Author Topic: Robert Aho Missing October 20,2009  (Read 10365 times)

curiouskitty

• View Profile
Robert Aho Missing October 20,2009
« on: March 25, 2010, 10:15:48 AM »
I have a new missing person I would like to add to this list. 

The sadest part about this missing person, is that there has been little to no media coverage, except a local cable channel and a local newspaper.  His friends and family are looking for any help they can get.
There is a facebook page dedicated to finding Rob.

The page is called Missing Rob Aho.
I have attached the missing person flyer made by the family.

curiouskitty

• View Profile
Re: Robert Aho Missing October 20,2009
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2010, 10:32:13 AM »
I am posting a NEW missing person on this site in hopes of getting more attention drawn to this family's situation.
There is also a facebook page dedicated to locating Rob or information as to his whereabouts.  

The Facebook page is simply called "missing Rob Aho"

Name : AHO, Robert "Robbie"

Date Of Disappearance :  12 October 2009
Additional Images
Location Of Disappearance :  Marten River, Ontario
Age At Disappearance :  31 years
Date Of Birth :  17 January 1978
Height (estimate) :  175 cm (5'8")
Weight (estimate) :  75 kg (165 lbs)
Hair Colour :  Bald(ing)
– shaved  
Eye Colour :  Brown
Race :  Caucasian

Dental Information :  Unknown
Medical Information :  Epileptic – requires daily medication
Notable Identifiers :  Build – medium

Clothing/Jewelry :  Vest – black in colour
Shirt – long-sleeved Toronto Maple Leaf jersey
Headwear – blue ball cap
Other Personal Items :  Packsack
Duffle bag

Additional Information :  At approximately 1 p.m., Robert left the Land O'Lakes Cottages in Marten River. He was seen heading westbound on Highway 64 towards the town of Field.

Since Robert was on foot, police would like to speak with anyone who may have seen Robert or stopped to give him a ride.

Robert did have a change of clothes and may not be wearing the clothing described.

Police and the Aho family would like to speak with Robert to verify his well-being. Robert has not been in contact since October 12th.

Robert lives with epilepsy and required daily medication. At the time of his disappearance he only had enough medication to last a few days.

Cst. Peter McKee or Cst. Erin Thomas
705-647-8400

OR

Missing Person and Unidentified Bodies/Remains Unit
Ontario Provincial Police
1-877-9FIND ME (1-877-934-6363)

OR

Crime Stoppers 1-800-222-TIPS (8477)
Source Links :  Missing Rob Aho - Facebook Group
Ontario Provincial Police  

« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 08:41:35 AM by curiouskitty »

jobo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2010, 02:01:22 PM »
I do remember reading about Rob's disappearance....didn't he go missing around Marten River, just north of North Bay, Ontario??   Last seen on the Hwy to Field?   I notice there is a fair number of men missing from the NorthBay and north area.  It is sad to not have answers, curious kitty, any more info you can add?  I have travelled Hwy #11 north a fair bit the past 3 years, as my daughter lived way up there,  and it is very remote once you get north of North Bay, In fact, I think Marten River is the first place you come to north of N.B.,and that's a fair ways, but you pass the turn off to Field before you get to Marten River. Did the police search with dogs?  To me, that would be one of the main ways to figure out how someone disappeared out in the middle of nowhere.

curiouskitty

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2010, 08:40:21 AM »
When he first went missing they searched, but weather up there is very unpredictable. The family has tried just about every angle to locate him. They are in the process right now of waiting for the snow to melt. They went to a psychic, and are waiting to get back into the bush with dogs, to follow up on the lead.  The even emailed Mantracker, but he wouldn't help unless the police asked him to.  Which they didn't.  It is a very upsetting case, cause the media never really grabbed ahold of it, no matter how many emails we have all sent them.  The North Bay Nugget has run the story, and a local cable news has run it once.  No major attention, and it has the family wondering why.  If anyone could help, it would all be greatly appreciated.

Woodland

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2010, 09:25:14 AM »
You are right jobo that many men are missing from northern Ontario.  Equally perplexing is how many of them have gone missing in the months of October and November, over a very long period of time.

Some were known to be in a boat, some were thought to be in a boat, some were at hunting camps and some were driving.  No bodies ever found.  Very strange.

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2010, 09:37:41 AM »
Oct 20, 2009 By: Sudbury Northern Life Staff

Alice Aho wants her nephew Robert Aho, who has been missing since around 1 p.m. on Oct. 12, to be found safe and sound.

The Aho family has been searching since Robert walked away from the Land O'Lakes Cottages, located in Marten River, where he had been helping his father pack up a trailer. He was carrying a pack-sack and duffel bag, and was headed west on Highway 64 towards the town of Field.

Alice and her family are concerned about Robert's health.

"Robb has seizures and when he has one, he doesn't know where he is or who he is," said Alice. "That's why it's so important we find him. He has no meds on him and we want him home, safe and sound."

The OPP have been "a real big help," said Alice, from searching with a helicopter with infrared as well as organizing search parties in the bush.

"It is a rough bush area they are looking at, (and it's) not easy to go through," said Alice.

A pair of shoes confirmed to be Robert's have been found, but they were not the ones he was wearing when he left, said Alice, but ones he had in his pack. Clothing has also been found, and there have been reports that Robert has been seen hitchhiking in Sturgeon Falls.

"My parents (Robb's grandparents) live in Field, (and) that's where we thought Robb might (have) been going to."

He is described as 5-9 tall, about 166 lbs, bald with brown eyes and wearing a blue hat, a Maple Leafs jersey and a black vest.

Police are asking for the public’s assistance, should someone have seen, picked up or given him a ride.

Anyone with information that can help determine Robert Aho’s location, is asked to contact the Temagami Detachment of the Ontario Provincial Police by phoning 1-888-310-1122. His friends have set up a Facebook group called "Missing Rob Aho."

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2010, 10:11:24 AM »
This is the link for Robert's facebook page.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=152044298806&ref=share

jobo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2010, 06:24:19 PM »
So, I gather that Robert was hitch-hiking towards Field, on Hwy #64?  And Sturgeon Falls (where there was supposed sightings) is south of Field, so did anyone ever see him arrive in Field?   Where were the articles of clothing found?

curiouskitty

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2010, 11:47:52 PM »
The family, and public held a ground search today, of the bush along the highway Rob was last known to be walking along. Which would have been the highway between marten River and Field.  He never arrived in Field, as far as information has said. There were cloths found along the highway, and into the bush on a trail. Today there were some more cloths found, but they need to be confirmed as Rob's before they can be considered true evidence.  There have been repoted sightings in North Bay and surrounding area, but nothing has panned out as of yet.  The facebook page, which the address is posted on this thread, has alot more information. You are invited to join the group, or just go on and read up on the situation.

Concerned

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2010, 09:24:49 AM »
They are still looking for Mr. Aho. The story below was the last I've heard of the case. The person they found, mentioned in this article, was NOT Mr. Aho, but Ann Marie Shirran. My heart breaks for Mr. Aho's family. This process must be unbearable.

Human remains found northwest of Sturgeon Falls

Local News

Terry Aho headed to site

By Nugget Staff

Updated 21 days ago

West Nipissing Police are treating the site where human remains were found Thursday as a crime scene.

Insp. Ray St. Pierre said police are releasing little information on the discovery at this time, in the hopes the Centre of Forensic Science in Toronto will be able to provide answers.

"We don't have any information yet" as to the person's identity. He said police hope forensic investigators will be able to provide information such as the sex of the person found.

"Right now, we have no indication if it is a missing person" known to police, he said.
"We are waiting for the centre to give a determination."

The remains were found about six kilometres northwest of Sturgeon Falls, in the area of Clear Lake Road and Lafond Road. The remains were discovered by a local resident while walking in a wooded area near the road.

Ontario Provincial Police Forensic Identification Unit was called in to assist with the investigation.

He said police will not speculate on who the person is.

"The investigation is still in the early stages," St. Pierre said.

Terry Aho, the father of missing 32-year-old Robbie Aho, isn't waiting until Tuesday when details are expected to be released.

Aho is currently on route to the scene where the body was found.

He said he is looking for "any additional information."

Robbie Aho was last seen Oct. 12 at about 1 p.m. near Land O'Lakes Cottages in Marten River.

He was on foot heading west on Highway 64 toward Field.

A few clothing items were found shortly after Robbie's disappearance, as well, the Aho family organized a massive ground search on Easter weekend, but no body was discovered.

Article ID# 2742736
http://www.123people.ca/ext/frm?ti=person%20finder&search_term=terry%20aho&search_country=CA&st=person%20finder&target_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nugget.ca%2FArticleDisplay.aspx%3Fe%3D2742736&section=weblink&wrt_id=430

Concerned

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2010, 05:33:07 AM »
This family has been through a lot. Bless their hearts.

His mother and father's account of the disappearance (and tribute to his son) is posted on YouTube:
Robert Aho

Aho family relieved; remains do not belong to son
Local News
By Jennifer Hamilton-McCharles, THE NUGGET
Updated 21 hours ago

Remains found in West Nipissing last month are not those of missing North Bay man Robbie Aho.

Terry Aho, Robbie's father, confirmed the news Thursday afternoon.

"I just received a call from the New Liskeard Ontario Provincial Police and they told me the remains found were not Robbie's," he said. "The dental records and DNA do not match. So there's still hope."

The remains haven't been identified and West Nipissing Police Service couldn't be reached for comment.
Aho said when police call his home he always expects the worst.

"Today was kind of good news," he said.

The Ahos have been searching for their son since Oct. 12, 2009 when Robbie left Land O'Lakes Cottages in Marten River. He was heading toward Field on foot.

Clothing was found in the area a few days later, but family members haven't spoken with him since.

According to West Nipissing Police Service, the human remains were found Sept. 2 by a local resident walking in a wooded area near Lac Clair Road and Lafond Road.

Police said examinations of some of the articles discovered with the remains suggest that the individual died after May 2010.

Aho said the wait for the results has been agonizing and difficult for the entire family.

"It's a little relief. The light is getting a little brighter," he said. "But this individual is a member of another family and I'm sure they're grieving. My heart goes out to them."

According to OPP Const. Carolle Dionne, there are 93 missing persons cases in the Northeast region, dating back as far as 1959.

jhamilton-mccharles@nugget.ca

Article ID# 2821564

http://www.nugget.ca/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=2821564
« Last Edit: October 30, 2010, 05:42:30 AM by Concerned »

soft_spot

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2010, 04:08:13 PM »
Search shifts to dam
Local News
By JENNIFER HAMILTON-MCCHARLES, THE NUGGET

The focus of a search for a man missing more than a year will shift back to the Marten River Dam.

Terry Aho said Ontario Provincial Police are deciding whether to assign police divers to search an area around the dam, one kilometre from High- way 64 near Marten River Provincial Park. His son, Robbie, 32, was last seen Oct. 12, 2009 in Marten River.

Four dog teams recently combed 900 acres of property in the area.

The OPP had a few maps and identified a few key areas of interest," Aho said. Of those 900 acres, about 500 to 600 acres was new ground and nothing was found.

When they got to the dam, there was a definite indication from the dogs that something was in the water."

Aho said this isn't the first time the dam, which Marten River runs through, has drawn attention.

In the spring, a search dog from Massey led its handler and searchers to the same spot. A psychic working on the case also suspected that body of water would be a good place to look.

If police don't decide to put together a dive team before the lake freezes, we will get divers into the water," Aho said.

We've had a lot of support, divers have called me and offered their services."

Aho said the area in which he wants to concentrate is about 100 feet from the dam.

He said the most recent search was emotionally draining for the entire family.

My thoughts and prayers go out to the Aho family and I hope they are able to find closure soon.  May god bless you.

« Last Edit: November 25, 2010, 04:15:10 PM by soft_spot »

jobo

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2010, 05:22:28 PM »
Thank you for posting this soft_spot.    My thoughts often go to Robert Aho, as I have driven past Marten River many times the past 5 years, until last year.    It is such beautiful country, and I always wonder what could have possibly happened to him.   Robert is not the first person to go missing from there either, which I find unusual in such a desolate area.
I hope the family does get answers soon. 

stephanie

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2011, 12:39:20 PM »
 I have one question?

"A pair of shoes confirmed to be Robert's have been found, but they were not the ones he was wearing when he left, said Alice, but ones he had in his pack. Clothing has also been found, and there have been reports that Robert has been seen hitchhiking in Sturgeon Falls"

Where and when were the shoes found?

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2012, 12:31:01 PM »
It seems to me, that he was caught up in the elements. I know that this is not helpful to the family.
But, it is one thing that they may think of, especially for future searches.

Blessings to the family, and I can't imagine what they are going through.

JB

A garden of tears: the murder of Kathryn-Mary Herbert

A casefile of events and story related to the 1975 murder of Kathryn Mary Herbert (Sutton).

Click Here