Author Topic: Jeffrey Dupres Aged 3 (now 30) - Missing (Slave Lake Alberta)  (Read 22375 times)

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
By CARY CASTAGNA, SUN MEDIA

Denise McKee says she'll never forget that panicked feeling in the pit of her stomach when she discovered her three-year-old son had vanished from the family's Slave Lake home.

More than 27 years later, that feeling of dread persists.

"It was an instant realization that something was wrong," she recalled. "I've never been able to get past it because it never got better."

Jeffrey Dupres, who would now be 30 years old, has never been found.

His mysterious disappearance is believed to be one of the oldest missing children's cases in the country.

Shortly before 1 p.m. on April 24, 1980, Dupres told his mother he was going with his five-year-old friend, Rodney, to play next-door at his house, McKee told Sun Media.

McKee and her son were both outside at the time in the small town, 251 km northwest of Edmonton. McKee said she took the opportunity to go back inside her home to transfer a load of laundry from the washing machine to the dryer.

About 20 minutes later, Rodney showed up looking for his playmate, McKee said. That's when McKee realized the horror of the situation.

She can only guess at what happened - that Dupres wandered off instead of going to his childhood friend's home, and then someone snatched him.

"No one knows what happened," she said in a phone interview from her Ottawa home. "He could've been taken by aliens."

McKee, now 53 years old, said RCMP initially accused her of being involved in her son's disappearance.

She said she was forced to take a lie detector test that summer.

Her husband, who she has since divorced, was in High Prairie on business at the time Dupres vanished.

The biggest lead came in 1999, when a woman in Cornwall, Ont., walked into a police station and told officers her husband, who had lived in Slave Lake in 1980, was responsible for killing Dupres.

Police investigated but were never able to gather enough evidence to make an arrest, McKee said.

McKee has two sons - Chris, a 23-year-old IT professional in Ottawa, and Mark, a 20-year-old University of Alberta student.

She also has a 16-month-old grandson.

The heartbroken mom said she just wants to know what happened to her first-born son.

"I think about him every day. It's traumatic. Mother's Day is always tough," she said, likening the loss of her son to losing a limb. "It's something that's gone that should be there."

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
Re: Jeffrey Dupres Aged 3 (now 30) - Missing (Slave Lake Alberta)
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2007, 11:09:12 PM »
Wow, I wonder why this woman believes her husband did it?

mauvelilac

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2008, 02:13:18 PM »
Maybe the woman who was seen leading Jeffrey towards the truck is the same woman who later accused her husband of killing the child...Just a thought

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2008, 10:07:01 PM »
She said she was forced to take a lie detector test that summer

That caught my eye. She never said what the result was either. And it is impossible for teh RCMP to force anyone to take a lie detector.

One thing I am starting to open my eyes too, is that mothers do kill there children and no one (even me) was open to enough to even consider that possibility.

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2009, 11:34:57 PM »
I don't remember this at all even though I lived in Spruce Grove at the time. It is just sad.

save_elephants

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2009, 09:01:37 AM »
I always remembered seeing Jeffery's picture on the missing persons posters. I'm a little younger then him and grew up in Calgary so it always touched me.
Poor Jeffery

calgarygirl

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2009, 11:19:34 AM »
 My Cousins were neighbors of the Dupres when this happened. I remember my mom talking on the phone with my Aunt when this happened.  At the time, my mom told me that Mrs. Dupres had said to my Aunt that jeffery had gone into the backyard, and she went inside, when she looked out she saw the gate open and a van speed off to the street shutting it's door.  I was only 6 at the time, but my mother never forgot it and talked of this often.  I wonder if the vehicle wasn't a truck but a van? I personally think that Jeffery is still alive, most people who abduct very young children don't do it with the intent to kill but seems they do it more with the intent to keep or sell them.  I think of Jeffery often, and remember seeing his picture on missing posters alot (even today).
I don't think his mother is responsible for this crime, but details seem kind of wishy washy. Hopefully one day this will be solved.

BigAl2

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2011, 10:39:42 AM »
the womens story about her husband could very well be the whole truth in this case, but just not enough proof to bring it to an end... no body or other evidence to confirm her story. Hopefully they are still investigating her husband... she may believe her husband killed him, because she was there... she was the woman leading him to the vehicle...

peaches44

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2012, 11:49:43 AM »
I lived in Slave Lake at the time of the disappearance. It was indeed an awful day for the town; two fires burning, one on each side of town and the crash of a water bomber at the airport in which the pilot was killed - the RCMP detachment was stretched pretty thinly. It became known as "Black Thursday" in the community, I believe.

There was speculation at the time that the fire burning on the side of town from which Jeffrey disappeared may have been set to distract people. God knows, people were distracted.

We searched for that little boy day in and day out. I was in the party that walked the dammed up and partially drained creek with rakes and hoes. There were suckers running in the chest-high water. We found everything from old tires to dead dogs. It wasn't pleasant and we were all torn between hoping to find nothing and wishing someone would find anything.

Nightly, we rode in trucks to the "nuisance grounds" (dump) and opened garbage bags. Same feeling. We kept that up for weeks.

As time wore on, I felt progressively more sorry for Mrs. Dupres. Everyone could and did resume their normal lives except her - her reason for living had disappeared.

To this day, I think about Jeffrey and wonder who took him and why.  To the person who was wondering about who lets their 3 year old play outside unattended, it wasn't that way. The houses were in a subdivision through which no vehicles much passed without a purpose for being there. It was a quieter neighborhood than some. To allow your child outside to play in the neighbour's backyard was no big deal for anyone.

Slave Lake at that time was a boom town with the population swelled by oil development. The town of 4,000 people had probably double that population and triple the number in trucks. There were a lot of strangers in town, a lot of recreational drug users. We used to entertain ourselves by sitting in the dark in our mobile home listening to the neighbours partaking of "magic mushrooms".

With that many strangers around, who knows what the chain of events may have been.

medic_ziz

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2012, 03:55:24 PM »
Peaches is right. I am a former EMS worker for Slave lake, grew up there. When the fires hit the town a couple of years ago now all we heard from people was that it brings back memories of Jeffrey. He is the one person that when you talk to anyone in that town they know who he is.

My brother played with him as a kid. My parents lived down the street at the time it happened. Very tragic. They had the school kids walk down the streets hand in had looking for him while others went to the dump, the creek, river, lake and bear trails. At that time it was a quiet town. Yes we had a lot of people who were from else where but really crime wasn't big. Everyone knew everyone. Heck you didn't even lock your doors. That day shattered that feeling.

I feel for this family. Everyone wants to know what happened to Jeffrey. That was such a bad day in the history of the town that just finding out what happened would make it seem a little better. I look for new information when ever I get the chance but not much out there.

The problem with the husband of the woman who said he killed Jeffrey is that there is a lot of hate between the two and the police couldn't really get a good story of event or much proof. The RCMP in Slave Lake are also less the great. They are one of the biggest complaints people have. They seem to work on their own time. I am not a police hater either. I use to be a tactical medic for a police service that worked on band land around slave lake for a time. I respect police officers just not the ones that work in slave lake. Not any more.

SAP

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2012, 05:27:25 PM »
Thanks for weighing in medic-ziz and also peaches previously. I have no connection to the case of Jeffrey but it also left an impact on me. These are the kinds of things one remembers when they start raising their own children and I feel for anyone who has gone through such a loss.
I always hope that Jeffrey and others were taken to fill a gap for a childless couple and that they are being raised with care and love; it's a dream I know, since there is adoption available for those people who are childless.
Many couples seem to split up after such a tragedy and I find it odd that they had a real hate for each other, yet went on to have two more children after Jeffery disappeared, or am I understanding that incorrectly. It seems like many clues were missed since the police were not that available to the family  and the fact that two people under hypnosis describe the same things while another person recounts what Mrs. Dupres said at the time that Jeffery was in the back yard ... it does leave room for various questions.
The townspeople really pulled together for Jeffrey in all they did for days on end and their work is commendable. I'm sorry you have problems with the detachment ... it has happened in other small communities as well and when they get so dispassionate about their work, it's time for a good turnover with a new head of operations.

SAP

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2012, 06:52:41 PM »
I found the following post at Chris's Crime Forum:

Posted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:30 am

A woman I work with lived in Slave Lake when Jeffrey went missing. Apparently a fire was raging and a helicopter had crashed trying to put it out. All the roads in and out of the town were closed. The only road that was open was a logging road that wasn't known about except to locals. Which means whomever took Jeffrey had to be either extremely familiar with the area or had to hole up somewhere until they could leave. There's also the possibility that he may have died in the fire. I sure hope we'll find out someday what really happened.

I've been in areas surrounded by wildfires and it always took awhile after fires began, before highways/roadways were closed off and only open to emergency vehicles and police.
Whomever, and IF, they started the fire to distract attention from the napping, planned this out very well it would seem. What are the chances that Jeffery was alone in his yard often? I would think more than likely he would be with the neighbor kid more often and as I've seen kids who are called home for lunch or whatever, slowly the other kids will also run home for a drink or whatever for a time out from playing. As for Jeffery's mom ... switching a load from washer to dryer is only a matter of seconds really.
Either well planned or someone was scouting for kids not attended and may even have taken another child/children if they couldn't find one alone ... a brazen attempt at kidnapping.

There were other attempts at luring kids in the 80's. In Edmonton once a description was given of an older woman trying to lead a child away from a gathering. After that I was shopping in Kingsway mall, with a toddler and very much pregnant with a second. A woman, maybe 50 ish or so, approached me and asked if she could look after my child while I shopped. That was it! I left the store.   
« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 07:01:09 PM by SAP »

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2013, 10:22:51 AM »
Jeffrey is still missing.

The Doe Network:
Case File 117DMAB

http://doenetwork.org/cases/117dmab.html

Jeffrey Andrew Dupres

Missing since April 24, 1980 from Slave Lake, Alberta, Canada
Classification: Non-Family Abduction

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vital Statistics

Date Of Birth: March 16, 1977
Age at Time of Disappearance: 3 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 3'0; 35 pounds
Distinguishing Characteristics: White male. Curly, dark blonde hair; gray eyes. It is believed that Jeffrey's hair may now be brown. 
Medical Conditions: History of poor eyesight runs in the family, therefore Jeffrey probably wears glasses. Blood type A-positive.
Marks, Scars: Dupres has flat feet and wore orthopedic shoes at the time of his disappearance.
Clothing: Jeffrey was last seen wearing rust colored pants, a long sleeve, beige T-shirt, with brown trim and dark brown, orthopedic shoes.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Circumstances of Disappearance
Shortly before 13.00 on April 24, 1980, Dupres told his mother he was going with his five-year-old friend to play next-door at his house. Dupres and his mother were both outside at the time in the small town, 251 km northwest of Edmonton. The mother took the opportunity to go back inside her home to transfer a load of laundry from the washing machine to the dryer.  About 20 minutes later, the friend showed up looking for Jeffrey.

A White female was seen leading the child into a car driven by a White male. The vehicle was described as a 1979 or 1980 model Chevrolet truck, light to dark blue in color.

Investigators
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:
Royal Canadian Mounted Police
877-318-3576
All information may be submitted on an anonymous basis.

NCIC Number:
M-054299039
Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

Source Information: The National Center For Missing and Exploited Children
The Edmonton Sun

#1: Dupres, circa 1980
#2: Age-progressed by NCMEC to age 30 (circa 2007).

lola77

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2017, 01:17:54 PM »
I found the following post at Chris's Crime Forum:

Posted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:30 am

A woman I work with lived in Slave Lake when Jeffrey went missing. Apparently a fire was raging and a helicopter had crashed trying to put it out. All the roads in and out of the town were closed. The only road that was open was a logging road that wasn't known about except to locals. Which means whomever took Jeffrey had to be either extremely familiar with the area or had to hole up somewhere until they could leave. There's also the possibility that he may have died in the fire. I sure hope we'll find out someday what really happened.

I've been in areas surrounded by wildfires and it always took awhile after fires began, before highways/roadways were closed off and only open to emergency vehicles and police.
Whomever, and IF, they started the fire to distract attention from the napping, planned this out very well it would seem. What are the chances that Jeffery was alone in his yard often? I would think more than likely he would be with the neighbor kid more often and as I've seen kids who are called home for lunch or whatever, slowly the other kids will also run home for a drink or whatever for a time out from playing. As for Jeffery's mom ... switching a load from washer to dryer is only a matter of seconds really.
Either well planned or someone was scouting for kids not attended and may even have taken another child/children if they couldn't find one alone ... a brazen attempt at kidnapping.

There were other attempts at luring kids in the 80's. In Edmonton once a description was given of an older woman trying to lead a child away from a gathering. After that I was shopping in Kingsway mall, with a toddler and very much pregnant with a second. A woman, maybe 50 ish or so, approached me and asked if she could look after my child while I shopped. That was it! I left the store.   

I'm the person who used to work with someone who was lived in Slave Lake when Jeffrey went missing and posted on Chris's Crine Forum.