Author Topic: Steven O'Brien | Missing | Charlottetown (1993)  (Read 9498 times)

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
Steven O'Brien | Missing | Charlottetown (1993)
« on: March 21, 2010, 02:06:56 AM »
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/prince-edward-island/story/2010/03/20/pei-stephen-obrien-missing-person-anniversary-656.html

here are renewed efforts to find a Prince Edward Island man who disappeared 17 years ago in Charlottetown.

Steven O'Brien was 18 years old and attending the Holland College Culinary Institute when he disappeared on March 20, 1993.

He was last seen at an intersection on Queen Street on a Friday night during March break.

Janet O'Brien, the missing man's mother, has issued a written statement as the latest anniversary of her son's disappearance rolled around.

"Not a day goes by that we don't think about Steven," O'Brien's statement said.

"Please look into your heart and try to imagine what it would be like to have a family member missing without explanation."

The Missing Children Society of Canada is conducting a targeted search on Prince Edward Island and in the greater Toronto area.

The family believes if O'Brien left P.E.I., he may be in or near Toronto.

The society is offering a $10,000 reward for new information and is sending thousands of posters of O'Brien to stores and youth centres in the Toronto area.

Det. Randy Currie, a spokesman for the Charlottetown Police, said the force's investigation into O'Brien's disappearance is still open.

"I'm sure the family is very interested, and that's an understatement, in having this matter resolved. To put some closure regarding where he may be and what happened," Currie said.

O'Brien was five-foot-six, 140 pounds, with brown hair and dark brown eyes and he wore prescription glasses

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/prince-edward-island/story/2010/03/20/pei-stephen-obrien-missing-person-anniversary-656.html#ixzz0inRQyWbS

Diesel

• View Profile
Re: Steven O'Brien | Missing | Charlottetown (1993)
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2011, 10:11:45 PM »
O'Brien disappearance still a mystery 17 years later - THE GUARDIAN

Published on March 27th, 2010

Jim Day 

Topics : Missing Children Society of Canada , Charlottetown Police Service , Culinary Institute , Charlottetown , Iceland , Toronto

Steven O'Brien's disappearance two months shy of his 19th birthday in 1993 remains a long, painful mystery for his Island parents.

"Not one day goes by that we don't think of Steven,'' Janet O'Brien of Iona said of her son in a statement.
"Our family is missing a piece of itself, and we miss him very much. We don't know where or why he disappeared, but what is most important to us, his parents, brother and sisters, is to know that he is alright.''
Det.-Const. Randy Currie of the Charlottetown Police Service declined to speculate as to the most probable explanation to Steven O'Brien never being seen again after he ended his shift on March 20, 1993 at the Culinary Institute in Charlottetown and joined a few friends for a night out on the town.
He left without his wallet, keys or other personal effects. He was last seen walking south on Queen Street in Charlottetown around 1:30 a.m. wearing a white t-shirt, jeans and a burgundy winter jacket.
Did he meet with foul play? An accident? Or did he have cause to just leave his life behind and sever ties?
"I am not ruling out any possibilities,'' said Currie. "We are looking at all avenues.''
O'Brien's family believes if Steven left P.E.I., he could be in the greater Toronto area.
The Missing Children Society of Canada (MCSC), a national non-profit organization dedicated to the active search for abducted and missing children, began conducting a targeted poster campaign in Toronto and P.E.I. last week on the 17th anniversary of O'Brien's disappearance.
Photo age enhancement has been done to show what a 35-year-old Steven O'Brien, who had dark brown hair and brown eyes and stood five feet, six inches tall, might look like today.
Janet and Charles O'Brien hope their son is safe and happy. They want him to know he is always welcome to come home.
"If anyone has information on our son's whereabouts, please look into your heart and try to understand what it would be like to have a family member missing without explanation,'' said Janet.
"Please Steven, or anyone who knows where Steven is, contact us.''
MCSC is offering a $10,000 reward for information that leads to locating Steven O'Brien.
The organization made a concerted effort in 1995, after being contacted by the family, to locate him with two investigators assigned to the case.
"The reason we need to continue is I know somebody out there knows something...whether two years or 17 years has gone by, somebody out there knows something,'' said Maria Sbert, director of the special investigations unit of the MCSC.
"So we will not stop our search. But it would be nice if somebody knows something that they would call us confidentially.''
Currie says police are investigating the "several tips'' received since a public appeal went out last week for information.
"Every one wants closure to this to find out exactly what happened,'' he said.
Anyone with information about this matter is asked to contact Currie at 902-629-4172 or call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477.

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2011, 10:35:00 PM »

Steven O'Brien age enhanced 35 years

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile

lostlinganer

• Silence, in the face of injustice is complicity wi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2013, 08:41:29 PM »
Everytime I see how someone disappeared or was murdered while out with friends, it makes me want to vomit.  There is just something of a paradox about the words "disappeared", "murdered", "friends"..... in the same sentence.