Author Topic: Gregory David Wry - Missing - February 21, 2010  (Read 25613 times)

Concerned

• View Profile
Re: Gregory David Wry - Missing - February 21, 2010
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2010, 06:26:25 PM »
It always breaks my heart when I hear a reward for a family member. To think of what it takes for people missing a loved one, to gather whatever they can together to offer a reward.  Especially when the searches have ended. Bless their hearts. We all know there is no value that can be placed on those you love. I hope someone comes forward with some good news soon. Prayers, again, for the family.

No more searches for missing Woodstock man
Published Thursday April 1st, 2010

A $2,000 reward from Crime Stoppers has been posted for anyone with information that leads to finding Greg Wry.

Wry of Woodstock disappeared the night of Feb. 21 after he checked into the Howard Johnson Hotel on Prospect Street in Fredericton.

Wry's car was found in a woodlot area about 32 kilometres east of Woodstock off Allandale Road at Pokiok. It was found in a clear-cut where timber was being harvested.

On March 19, a member of the Carleton Ground Search and Rescue team and an RCMP dog handler found footwear near the Shogomoc River.

It hasn't been conclusively identified as Wry's, although it's a similar size.

Woodstock police Chief Dana Collicott said several hundred metres were searched around the location of the car, where the footwear was found and around the family's camp in the Kilmarnock area.

Further searches are being halted unless there are new leads to pursue.

"In total, trained search and rescue volunteers tallied 217 hectares, about 535 acres, of thorough ground searching and almost 600 man hours," Collicott said.

Some 1,440 hectares, or 3,560 acres, were searched using the RCMP helicopter.

The Carleton Ground Search and Rescue team had assistance from search and rescue groups from Tobique, York, Sunbury and River Valley.

"Members of the Carleton Ground Search and Rescue, District 7 RCMP and Woodstock Police Force

have reviewed the areas that have been searched and have made the decision to suspend any further searches pending new information," Collicott said.

The search has been complicated by weather conditions, he said.

"A fairly significant snowfall occurred during that time period, making detection of clues very difficult.

"The unseasonably warm temperatures at the time of the search made the operations more difficult and dangerous. The rough terrain coupled with melting snow created a treacherous combination," he said Wednesday.

The chief said police are continuing to investigate and anyone with information is asked to contact District 7 RCMP at 325-3000 or Woodstock Police Force at 325-4601 or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477.

Concerned

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2010, 06:39:07 PM »
Missing man's family stays hopeful
Published Monday April 19th, 2010
By HEATHER MCLAUGHLIN

It's been eight long weeks since 30-year-old Greg Wry of Woodstock disappeared, but family and friends continue to cling to hope that he's still alive.

A Facebook page dedicated to locating Wry is filled daily with prayers and hopes for his safe return. Friends have spread Wry's picture across the country, hoping someone might recognize him.

He was last seen in Fredericton on Feb. 21 at a hotel.

Woodstock Police Force and District 7 RCMP called off further ground searches for Wry at the end of March after hundreds of hectares were trod to look for him in a clearing where his vehicle was found March 6.

Wry's beige Chevrolet Malibu was parked and locked in woods off Allandale Road, which is 32 kilometres east of Woodstock.

The car didn't show any signs of a disturbance and a forensics review hasn't turned up anything that would point to foul play.

On March 19, a pair of shoes were found near the Shogomoc River. Investigators have been trying to find evidence that might conclusively identify the footwear as belonging to Wry.

The shoes are of a similar size, but family members weren't able to be 100 per cent certain if they came from Wry's closet.

"One of the things we're awaiting word back on is the shoes that were found. Were or were they not his shoes?" said Andrew Garnett, Wry's brother-in-law.

"We want them not to be, because it may lead to a less happy ending if they are."

Garnett, who is married to Wry's sister Lori, said the family is trying to remain optimistic.

"The family is still positive, still in hopes that he is alive," he said.

But every day that passes without word from or a sighting of Greg Wry is disappointing.

Although the search was called off, Garnett said he was thankful for the extensive effort to search near the location of the car, the location of the footwear and the family camp in the Kilmarnock area.

Trained search-and-rescue volunteers covered 217 hectares of ground on foot. Another 1,440 hectares were searched by air. A police tracking dog was called out to help with the ground search.

Garnett said police have made a number of inquiries.

Wry came to Fredericton on Feb. 21 and stayed at the Howard Johnson Plaza Hotel, formerly the Wandlyn Inn, on Prospect Street for the night. He didn't come back for his deposit the next morning, which was taken as a damage security because he paid for his room in cash.

Garnett said police have questioned hotel staff, but nothing was unusual about Wry's demeanour.

When Wry got to the hotel, he went to the hotel bar for a drink to take back to his room. A hotel employee told police she had to deliver the drink to his room for him because of provincial liquor laws which don't allow customers to carry their drinks out of the bar to other parts of the hotel.

"They talked with them (hotel staff) directly. He (Wry) went down there (to the bar) and went back to his room fairly quickly."

But Garnett said Wry didn't mention anything to the bar worker that seemed out of place or that would supply a fresh lead.

"They recognized him from being there and showing up on that evening," Garnett said.

The family has talked about posting a reward, but one has already been posted by Crime Stoppers which will pay $2,000 for information which leads to Wry's whereabouts.

Garnett said police have advised the family that for the time being, it's probably best to work through Crime Stoppers, which vets tips anonymously.

Anyone with any information about Wry is asked to contact the Woodstock Police Force at 325-4601, RCMP at 325-3000 or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477.

Wry is 5-foot-8 and weights 140 pounds. He has brown hair worn brush-cut style, green eyes and scruffy facial hair.

He often wears a ball cap and was last seen wearing a jacket with leather sleeves and brown cloth patches, jeans and sneakers.
http://dailygleaner.canadaeast.com/front/article/1021680

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2010, 04:04:03 PM »
quote: Woodstock police Chief Dana Collicott said several hundred metres were searched around the location of the car, where the footwear was found and around the family's camp in the Kilmarnock area.  I do not live in this province.  Did the family have a camp site, which they owned.?  The shoes were found around the car area, surely then, they must belong to him.

lostlinganer

• Silence, in the face of injustice is complicity wi
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2010, 05:27:37 PM »
This would be Greg with baseball cap... last seen wearing a baseball cap:

« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 05:30:27 PM by lostlinganer »

amIam

« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2010, 05:00:35 PM »
I can't believe there has been nothing on this poor young man since LE ( after much prompting) found his car and runners in the snow.

quote author=lostlinganer link=topic=3318.msg41094#msg41094 date=1281482857]
This would be Greg with baseball cap... last seen wearing a baseball cap:

[/quote]

jellybean

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2010, 10:03:43 PM »
I ask myself, why did he want a passport? To travel obviously, but there was no mentioning by his Dad as to why his son wanted a passport,  or where he wanted to travel to.  This man was very sweet and very gullible.  (I don't mean that in a derogatory way) eg. not knowing that you can't take a drink up to your room.. My gosh, most people know that. So, obviously he didn't stay in hotels very often, if at all. I am not familiar with that area, but does it look like he was heading back home in his car, which was found abandoned?  Did LE check the passport office, to see if he did get a passport?  His Dad said that his son expected to receive it right away. I get the impression that he just applied for it.  Don't know about you, but it can take up to 6 weeks.  Let us hope that the shoes do not belong  to him.  We are all vulnerable to our lives changing in an instant, and the answers are not always forthcoming.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 10:14:31 PM by jellybean »

amIam

« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2010, 02:09:13 PM »
I could be wrong but from a few articles I have read regarding Greg his family weren't in very close contact with him for quite some time.  The runners that were found..his family were unable to identify them as they were unaware of his shoe size...
I am unsure as to whether LE has checked re passport..but one would surely think they
would have.  IF they have done so they would be able to determine if he had left the country.

I ask myself, why did he want a passport? To travel obviously, but there was no mentioning by his Dad as to why his son wanted a passport,  or where he wanted to travel to.  This man was very sweet and very gullible.  (I don't mean that in a derogatory way) eg. not knowing that you can't take a drink up to your room.. My gosh, most people know that. So, obviously he didn't stay in hotels very often, if at all. I am not familiar with that area, but does it look like he was heading back home in his car, which was found abandoned?  Did LE check the passport office, to see if he did get a passport?  His Dad said that his son expected to receive it right away. I get the impression that he just applied for it.  Don't know about you, but it can take up to 6 weeks.  Let us hope that the shoes do not belong  to him.  We are all vulnerable to our lives changing in an instant, and the answers are not always forthcoming.

jellybean

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2010, 06:30:55 PM »
Thank you for the update on him. Could they not check the DNA from the inside of these shoes?  Or would that be taking up too many resources?

amIam

« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2010, 06:01:52 AM »
A badly decomposed body has been discovered in the Saint John River.

http://telegraphjournal.canadaeast.com/front/article/1195900

Concerned

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2010, 11:30:51 AM »
amIam, is there any mention Gregory Wry is under consideration in this discovery?  I've been following this story. As much as we would like to find Gregory, this is perhaps not the way one would hope to find him.

I was trying to map out the possibility, but my google map skills are useless. If anybody is good at locating multiple points on a map to look for possibility, here are the addresses I was able to find:

Greg Wry lived in Woodstock, New Brunswick.
He was last seen at the Howard Johnson Plaza Hotel in Fredericton. Address: 958 Prospect Street, Fredericton, New Brunswick.
His vehicle was found 1 kilometer from Y intersection near where roadway is not normally plowed and is unpaved.
The article states the decomposed body was discovered in the Saint John River.

amIam

« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2010, 02:41:56 PM »
Hi Concerned, I know nothing other than the link I posted.  The badly decomposed remains were found in the Saint John River in the city Saint John.  The Saint John River is very long and
winds it way far north of Fredricton NB and ends in Saint John as it empties into the
 Bay of Fundy.
(The Reversing Falls is located in Saint John and has been known for years as place of choice for those desperate souls whose only option they feel is suicide)  This could be the case as mentioned in the article.
Perhaps I should not have posted it....

amIam, is there any mention Gregory Wry is under consideration in this discovery?  I've been following this story. As much as we would like to find Gregory, this is perhaps not the way one would hope to find him.

I was trying to map out the possibility, but my google map skills are useless. If anybody is good at locating multiple points on a map to look for possibility, here are the addresses I was able to find:

Greg Wry lived in Woodstock, New Brunswick.
He was last seen at the Howard Johnson Plaza Hotel in Fredericton. Address: 958 Prospect Street, Fredericton, New Brunswick.
His vehicle was found 1 kilometer from Y intersection near where roadway is not normally plowed and is unpaved.
The article states the decomposed body was discovered in the Saint John River.

Concerned

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2010, 02:56:05 PM »
amIam, actually I was just fishing for more info if you had it. Personally, believe it is great when any leads are posted on the threads. So, please don't stop. With my poor mapping skills it actually looks like it could be a possibility. Straight paths down major roadways in the area.

amIam

« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2010, 03:29:57 PM »
No I have nothing further to add than the newspaper has stated..perhaps something
tomorrow.  Somewhere along the way, I either heard or read that Greg never returned to retrieve his security depost for his room at the Howard Johnson Plaza hotel in Fredricton.

amIam, actually I was just fishing for more info if you had it. Personally, believe it is great when any leads are posted on the threads. So, please don't stop. With my poor mapping skills it actually looks like it could be a possibility. Straight paths down major roadways in the area.

Concerned

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2010, 08:19:07 AM »
They have ruled the body found in the St. John River is not Gregory David Wry, but a man in his 20's who committed suicide. The search for Gregory continues. Prayers to the family of this young man.

Body from river identified

Police have identified the body that was found in the St. John River last weekend. A man in his 20s died about two months ago after he leapt from the Reversing Falls Bridge, committing suicide, said Sgt. Pat Bonner of the Saint John Police Force. At the request of family, the man's name is not being released. Bonner said investigators likely used dental records and DNA to identify the man's remains.
http://telegraphjournal.canadaeast.com/city/article/1202289

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile