Author Topic: Sharin' Morningstar Keenan | Murdered (Jan 23, 1983)  (Read 43775 times)

amIam

Re: Sharin' Morningstar Keenan | Murdered (Jan 23, 1983)
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2010, 01:19:17 PM »
Little Sharin's case is so very old..27 yrs, I can't believe this file has just two measly pages long  But perhaps this is my fault and there are more elsewhere on this forum.   

I have always found it very odd that although there has always been a Canada wide warrant for Howe (and from that, it is my understanding every police force across Canada has his
picture posted in their cop shops) for the life of me, I can't figure out why a transient with no means and a previous criminal record has been able to avoid apprehension all these years.

Personally, I don't think he ever made it out of Ontario alive. 

lostlinganer

• Silence, in the face of injustice is complicity wi
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2010, 02:03:07 PM »
Am; there is a main thread for the little sweetie;  you might get Chris to merge them.

For instance, the Dennis Melvin Howe threads are about her.  I know how you feel; this is one that sticks with ya!

Most informative of all (and I commend Chris for making this so available to every reader) is the SHARIN' link you see at the bottom of all these pages here.  It is incredible to have that documentary in such clear and informative "point form" fashion..... all you do is draw your curser across it - and it keeps moving for you to read and watch...... and you can't slow down or stop anywhere, in it, you want.

You can click her picture at the bottom of any page here..... or just click the link right here now:
 http://www.vuvox.com/collage/detail/012e62c9f5
« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 02:34:13 PM by lostlinganer »

Woodland

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2010, 03:55:05 PM »
I really like your thought am, and would silently support it if true - unfortunately Sharin was not discovered for about 9 days after she went missing, therefore his name did not surface until that moment.  Howe could have been anywhere by then - however you are correct on his limited means.  Unless he had a passport, at most he was still in Canada somewhere - and that's a pretty big somewhere - or he slipped across a US border.

So the question remains - how did this guy disappear for so long?

The problem with serial offenders - which I believe Howe is - they are smart.  Whether we like the thought or not, a serial offender gets away with their crimes time and time again because they have the smarts to elude LE and they know how not to leave a trail of their existence.  Yes they are low lifes, but first and foremost they can elude the best of the best.

I am now of the opinion that if LE thought of them as smart first, then low lifes, they may have a few more successes.  Then again, maybe they do that already - I don't know.

There are so many missing with no trace of them for 20, 30, 40 years and countless unsolved murders.  What are LE and law abiding citizens such as ouselves doing wrong?

art-hu

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2010, 05:35:17 PM »
Just today someone was telling me that they poster-ed a missing child  at a mall, and had this child hand out flyers inside the mall. Hardly anyone took notice that this child was actually inside the mall.
What does that tell us.? The general public is not very observant when it comes to actually looking for missing persons.  The hustle and bustle of life seems to get in the way.

jobo

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2010, 05:53:18 PM »
I believe that Art-Hu.   There was a show on the other night, where they switched the clerk at the desk,(both young, attractive and dark haired) and not one single customer noticed.  In one instance they switched the clerk from a young, attractive, dark haired young woman to a middle aged blonde, and the customer didn't notice.   They were all taken into the back room to pick the clerk out of a picture line up of 6, and each customer (except one who was totally wrong) picked one of the two girls, but could not believe that there was 2 and they had been switched.

Woodland

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2010, 06:07:20 PM »
Exactly art-hu and jobo - if there is no commotion we will not notice others all that well.  That is why eyewitness testimony should never be relied upon as the only evidence - sometimes they will be right, more often than not, they will be wrong.

Serial offenders capitalize on that - no commotion.  Smart.

amIam

« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2010, 03:00:54 PM »

Hi Lost, yes, thanks, I am aware of the Howe thread and perhaos they should be merged but its not my call. 
The Sharin' link is invaluable, it great that it's been posted here.  It's just too bad so many years passed before something such as this was done.

Am; there is a main thread for the little sweetie;  you might get Chris to merge them.

For instance, the Dennis Melvin Howe threads are about her.  I know how you feel; this is one that sticks with ya!

Most informative of all (and I commend Chris for making this so available to every reader) is the SHARIN' link you see at the bottom of all these pages here.  It is incredible to have that documentary in such clear and informative "point form" fashion..... all you do is draw your curser across it - and it keeps moving for you to read and watch...... and you can't slow down or stop anywhere, in it, you want.

You can click her picture at the bottom of any page here..... or just click the link right here now:
 http://www.vuvox.com/collage/detail/012e62c9f5

amIam

« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2010, 03:08:58 PM »
Woodland, I am wondering if you have dug around for info regarding Sharin's murder.  You have often mentioned on other cases... old Toronto Star cases or what have you.   I believe there are a few things there or at the least, there should be..the Toronto Sun archives would as well be a good
source. 

There were a few things mentioned in the Toronto Sun way back then as to why it took nine days plus to discover Sharin's remains.

I really like your thought am, and would silently support it if true - unfortunately Sharin was not discovered for about 9 days after she went missing, therefore his name did not surface until that moment.  Howe could have been anywhere by then - however you are correct on his limited means.  Unless he had a passport, at most he was still in Canada somewhere - and that's a pretty big somewhere - or he slipped across a US border.

So the question remains - how did this guy disappear for so long?

The problem with serial offenders - which I believe Howe is - they are smart.  Whether we like the thought or not, a serial offender gets away with their crimes time and time again because they have the smarts to elude LE and they know how not to leave a trail of their existence.  Yes they are low lifes, but first and foremost they can elude the best of the best.

I am now of the opinion that if LE thought of them as smart first, then low lifes, they may have a few more successes.  Then again, maybe they do that already - I don't know.

There are so many missing with no trace of them for 20, 30, 40 years and countless unsolved murders.  What are LE and law abiding citizens such as ouselves doing wrong?

Woodland

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2010, 04:44:28 PM »
Have read about Sharin's case but have not made an attempt to delve into it - with so much public outrage, I am of the opinion all has likely been said and done.  If someone wanted me to look up a particular point or event I would oblige.

Another clever aspect of Howe and others like him is - his needs are small and he travels light.  His motivation for living is his/their crimes.  He can/could be up and gone in the blink of an eye with no worries about what he is leaving behind.  Smart.

Apathy sets in with LE long before 27 years are up.  No doubt someone is assigned to the case - but actively looking for him?  Would have to see proof of that to believe it.  Far more likely they are waiting for a call - even then they might miss the boat thinking it's just another dead end.  Only time will tell.

Those unidentified remains in Dyers Bay still bug me though - it's so close to the TransCanada.  Having his teeth fixed in the US is not so out of the realm of possibility - it's what would have identified him.

amIam

« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2010, 02:00:41 PM »
Woodland, the recent documentary regarding Sharin's murder ( publicity wise) leads us to
believe the case is still active..it's still open, but not actively being persued..I wonder why??

It truly struck me as odd that until the documentary, the one remaining ( lead) living police officer and Sharin's mother had never previously met.   And at the time, he handed her a one dollar bill that had been found in Sharin's coat pocket..her mother confirmed Sharin' had had no money that
day.  Now why, 27 yrs after the fact, would the ( retired) lead investigator produce such evidence the victims mother had never before seen?

Insofar as new info and leads, I have none that would perhaps peak your interest all that much.    However, there were a few articles run at the time by the Toronto Sun and by a gal named Christie Blatchford..a former Toronto Telegram writer.  After all these years, she is still writing but has changed Toronto newspapers many times. 

Very much to do has been made regarding the state of Howe's teeth.  Every chance at free
dental care was available to him during the years he was incarcerated.  Why wait until he was a free man?  And had to pay..which was the reason for asking for a cash advance for his employer.

Woodland

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2010, 06:13:20 PM »
Howe told his employer he needed the advance for his teeth, and promptly left town.

Who knows why he didn't fix his teeth if he had the chance behind bars - to me it goes with what we know about most serial offenders - 0.  Most haven't been caught, therefore not studied let alone interviewed.

Have not been a fan of Christie Blatchford for 20+ years - seems to be a good reason she moves around.

lostlinganer

• Silence, in the face of injustice is complicity wi
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2010, 07:00:55 PM »
am... check this out if you get a chance... see what you think?

http://vanrijngo.bravejournal.com/entry/29940

jobo

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2010, 08:12:47 PM »
I don't think it would be too hard to slip into the States from Saskatchewan...there is no water there to seperate our countries.  Areas around southern Saskatchewan and Montana are rural, I would Imagine Idaho is like that too.  I am sure there are many smaller towns with their countrysides where he could remain under the radar. 
I don't understand anyone not arresting him if they have info leading to him.
I also think the story about needing an advance to get a tooth fixed was just a lie to get money to get away....
a believable lie because his teeth needed it.

amIam

« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2010, 01:40:43 PM »
Woodland, you mention public outrage..there is none, never has been. 

Have read about Sharin's case but have not made an attempt to delve into it - with so much public outrage, I am of the opinion all has likely been said and done.  If someone wanted me to look up a particular point or event I would oblige.

Another clever aspect of Howe and others like him is - his needs are small and he travels light.  His motivation for living is his/their crimes.  He can/could be up and gone in the blink of an eye with no worries about what he is leaving behind.  Smart.

Apathy sets in with LE long before 27 years are up.  No doubt someone is assigned to the case - but actively looking for him?  Would have to see proof of that to believe it.  Far more likely they are waiting for a call - even then they might miss the boat thinking it's just another dead end.  Only time will tell.

Those unidentified remains in Dyers Bay still bug me though - it's so close to the TransCanada.  Having his teeth fixed in the US is not so out of the realm of possibility - it's what would have identified him.

amIam

« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2010, 01:57:01 PM »
So many minds here that perhaps are at a great disadvantage.  Yeah as the story goes, Howe had very bad teeth and needed immediate attention, so he gave his employer a sob story  and the need for a cash advance.  He was a con man remember?  Dental care is paramount in prison.  Howe had been a  behind bars for years.  Or so the Toronto Police have said.  The last sighting of Howe was in Sault St. Marie where it is reported he boarded a bus to MI.  This opf course was learned far after the fact of the discovery of Sharin's body, stuffed in a garbage bag inside a working refridgerator in the rooming house Howe rented.

It might be of interest to some to delve behind the scenes regarding a few old newspaper stories as to why such a police delay in the actual search for this poor little girl.  They were focused on the wrong person in the nest.