Author Topic: Sharin' Morningstar Keenan | Murdered (Jan 23, 1983)  (Read 44187 times)

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
Sharin' Morningstar Keenan | Murdered (Jan 23, 1983)
« on: March 06, 2010, 10:57:46 PM »
Sharin' Morningstar Keenan was nine years old when she disappeared at around 4 p.m. from Sibelius Park in Toronto's Annex neighbourhood on January 23, 1983.

Sharin' was in grade four and had gone to the park to play that Sunday afternoon. City-wide searches were conducted, however her body was found nine days later, on February 1, very close to the park - in a rooming house on Brunswick Avenue. A man eventually identified as Dennis Melvin Howe was named the perpetrator by police. Howe lived under several aliases and fled the area the day after the murder after receiving an advance on his pay cheque.

Since then, Howe has been on the run. Some believe he may still be alive in Canada, the United States, or Mexico. In this program Sharin's mother Lynda comes forward publicly for the first time in nearly 20 years to work with David Ridgen on the case to explore the evidence and help memorialize Sharin' as the young artist that she was.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/coldcase/cases/morningstar-keenan.html

Watch Documentary By David Ridgen
http://www.vuvox.com/collage_express/collage.swf?collageID=012e62c9f5

Emily_C

• View Profile
Re: Sharin' Morningstar Keenan | Murdered (Jan 23, 1983)
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2010, 07:52:01 PM »
I was born at the beginning of March 1983...even though Sharin' was murdered just over a month before I was born, her case haunts me. I first heard about her when I was 10 or 11 and I remember my mom telling me about how she remembered when it happened. I am so sorry that Sharin' never got the chance to grow up. She looks like such a nice girl in her pictures. I really hope that justice will be served for her one day. I also watched the slide show on here and I think the Keenans are a very STRONG family. I hope they know that their daughter has never been forgotten, even by someone who was not yet born when she died.

wantedwanted

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2010, 11:08:16 PM »
It's an utter tragedy that Howe was never brought to justice for this. One of the two officers who found Sharin' committed suicide later. What an awful, awful thing to happen to anyone. I find it so hard to believe that Howe isn't dead somewhere, I can't imagine anybody helping him hide after killing a child. Unfortunately I do remember seeing in a documentary about Sharin' that it was possible somebody did help him, perhaps one of his brothers - I think the brother is deceased now, and I think it must be very likely Howe is too - I can't imagine somebody as degenerate as him being able to keep himself under control well enough to get along in society. If he recieved help from anyone, it could only have been from family - the only people who might not turn him away. Whoever helped him, I truly hope Howe is dead. I was born and raised in Toronto, and this is one of the worst things that has ever happened in our city.

lostlinganer

• Silence, in the face of injustice is complicity wi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2010, 11:17:59 PM »
wanted; if he crossed the boarder, as we believe possible, the Americans don't pay attention to missing and murdered cases in Canada .... not like we do there. 

As late as it is in the game, we should start emailing his face and profile to every American we know.

amIam

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2010, 03:15:34 PM »
Lost, it is my understanding that America's Most Wanted has run several segments regarding
Sharin's murder over the years with age enhanced pictures of Howe and 
very little response..or at least nothing that panned out.  and even with the follow up this year on the 25th anniversary, there seems to be no new leads.  Makes you wonder, don't ya think??

lostlinganer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2010, 04:03:48 PM »
well am! guess I was wrong... It's our own country that has less interest!

art-hu

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2010, 07:11:53 PM »
Oh, I still think they will get him. He can't move around as well as he used to. I'm sure someone will spot him sooner or later, even if he is an old man.!!!

amIam

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2010, 01:13:48 PM »
Good grief, how old does Howe have to be before he is arrested?  He wasn't that young when he murdered little Sharin'  he has now outlived a few Toronto Police officers who investigated
the crime. one of the two who found her body in that working fridge has since committed
suicide. I watched the interview with Sharin's mother that was aired a few months back. the one living police officer showed her a one dollar bill found in Sharin's coat..from the video, Sharin's mother was surpised to see this..25 yrs later as Sharin had no money on her that day.   

One would think, the Toronto Police would have shared this information with the parents.  This is not as a case of whodoneit here, this is a case of they know who it was, and he had no money, so where is he?  Yes, the documentaries main focus is Howe's now deceased brother funding hs escape to the US...but why did it take 25 yrs to make this public??

lostlinganer

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2010, 01:24:17 PM »
I agree am;  and it's long past time to renew the search.... to get this animal's "age enhanced" face all over North America.  What are they waiting for.  He's had way too much time laying back saying to himself "oh well, guess i'm safe now! may as well relax and enjoy sitting back."  Get his picture/s out there again...everywhere.... revive the hunt.  The old bastard is out there.... dead or alive, we want his head! >:( >:(

lostlinganer

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2010, 03:37:12 PM »
am; I did watch that program .... it left me fuming.  If I had the dollars, I would find that old ........ myself.

amIam

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2010, 04:48:40 PM »
There has been very little media coverage over the years regarding Sharin's murder.  There were other children abducted and found murdered in and around the same area of Toronto
but there were never any leads.  In the case of Sharin',  TPS eventually decided who
the killer was and not the usual suspects.   
I have always found it amazing that wanted people in Ontario just seem to go missing and are never, ever found.     

Unsolved

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2010, 04:41:05 PM »
Has anyone found out more information on this article Toronto Police were at a Sudbury cemetery Thursday to exhume the remains of a man wanted in connection with a child killing more than a decade ago.
Nine-year-old Sharin' Morningstar Keenan was abducted in 1983. Her body was found 10 days later stuffed in a refrigerator in a room rented by a man named Dennis Melvin Howe. Howe disappeared and apparently died in Sudbury five years after the murder.

Records say the man buried in the grave they are exhuming is Peter Steven Sanderson, but the Sudbury force is convinced the remains are those of Howe, the man wanted for Sharin's murder.

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/1999/09/30/exhume990930.html#ixzz0ujjcMy2j

lostlinganer

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2010, 05:27:12 PM »
I don't think those results from the autopsy were ever released.  I remember seeing a documentary last year about that child's murder and Howe ..... it was hard to watch.

There's a gentleman's blog online - this guy swears he turned Howe in back in 1998.... and that Ontario and US are covering it up for some reason.  http://vanrijngo.bravejournal.com/entry/29940

by the way, here are a few alias/s Howe used south of the border:

White male
5'9" (175 cm)
165 lbs.(75 kg)
Brown hair
Brown eyes
Tattoo / Identifying Marks:
scar under chin
short crooked fingers
weathered complexion
small gap between front teeth
hairy chest and arms, square shoulders, left handed
known to wear a moustache, walks quickly and smokes heavily
Aliases:
Michael Burns
Wayne King
Ralph Ferguson
Jim Myers
CONSIDERED VIOLENT AND EXTREMELY DANGEROUS. TAKE NO ACTION TO APPREHEND THIS PERSON YOURSELF.

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2010, 01:06:47 AM »
I don't think they must consider those remains to be Howe anymore. I think the CBC documentary would have caught on to that.