Author Topic: Margaret McWilliam - 21 - Murdered - August 28, 1987 - Toronto, ON  (Read 27276 times)

jobo

• View Profile
Margaret McWilliam (21yrs.old) was found strangled and sexually assaulted in Warden Woods Park on August 28,1987, she had been jogging....I found this on another website, and I do remember this crime, as I lived in Scarborough at the time.....There was a footprint found with AAU on heel, and it was from a rare Bata grey and white high top sneaker...witness saw a young man with a red cap....Now, this happened in 1987 and timeline for Corp.Russell Williams is that he graduated U of T in 1987....He calls himself an avid runner, and he would have been in his 20's at the time.....I wonder if there is any connection here??
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 11:24:50 AM by jobo »

capeheart

• View Profile
Re: Margaret McWilliam - 21 - Murdered - August 28, 1987 - Toronto, ON
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2010, 11:39:10 AM »
Jobo, you could be onto something there. The fact that he was an avid runner, it sure could put him in the spotlight on this one. And to Trentoncfb, I can just understand how everyday you think about this that you thank your lucky stars that this person is behind bars. Now that you know who you were greeting everyday, it has to be very frightening to you. As stated by a profiler, these kinds of murders escalate to stealing female underwear and such to more serious crimes, which in his case escalated to murder. I daresay he has been getting away with quite a lot for many years. The investigators certainly have a lot of work ahead of them, unless he lays the cards on the table and confesses his crimes. And even then, the evidence has to corroborate what he says.  I hope he doesn't get the best criminal lawyer in Ontario, because we will have a long time waiting for him to get to court. One thing we can be sure of is that he will be tried separately for these crimes, because they happened at different times. So there will be no way he will ever get out of prison.

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2010, 01:06:32 AM »
Well he does seem to be cooperating with the police. I hope he did this only because it would give some closure to the family to know who did it.

LAB

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2010, 09:22:15 AM »
I used to babysit Margaret in Deep River. Now I see in today's paper that Williams lived in Deep River as a kid in the late sixties, early seventies. I'm going to have to ask my parents if they knew that family and if there was any chance the families interacted. Still it seems farfetched that he would find her years later in Toronto. It is a relief that he is confessing.

As for people spitting on soldiers in Belleville, if a serial killer is found to be a plumber by profession, should we harass all plumbers? Keep your chins up in Trenton, it will soon pass.

amIam

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2010, 05:08:01 PM »
Lab, just happened upon your post.  There are so many here with Williams connections that it just boggles my mind and to me it's hard to make sense of them all..stuff seems to be all over the web map!
Have you managed to speak with your family as to whether or not they knew Williams family?
As for the incident in Belleville with the soldier being spit on; there was never a further report.  So I figure it never happened for if so, this would have resulted in a charge of assault. No one was arrested unless it was another military person and if so we the public would never hear of this.
Besides we are an intelligent lot here, not  Red Necks as the military would have us perceived.  The military spin doctors were at work doing damage control.

LAB

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2010, 02:58:18 PM »
Hi amIam,
Not so strangely enough, there was a big spread in the Ottawa Citizen a few days after I posted with the McWilliams being interviewed and a companion article that was rather scathing about Deep River being an artificial town with high incomes (the Chalk River scientists)and a hothouse atmophere. Gee, it's a wonder we aren't all serial killers with all that wife swapping going on in the 70's! A Google search will bring up that article from a number of newspapers that picked it up.

My parents didn't remember the Williams but Dad was a technician and there wasn't much social mingling between the PHd's and the techs. The McWilliams were school teachers.

Incidently, Dad didn't find that spitting report believable because the base is Belleville's bread and butter to some extent. Intellegent lots don't bite the hand that feeds them.

I really hope Williams confesses to Margaret's murder but it's amazing how the whole story has vanished from the newspapers. A one week wonder.

DCAK

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2014, 12:35:55 PM »
Join Dr.Mike Arntfield and his squad as they investigate Canadian cold cases with fresh perspectives and new approaches.  Season Premiere of TO CATCH A KILLER will go to air March 1st 8PM EST on the Oprah Winfrey Network (Margaret McWilliam will be episode 2 and will be aired Saturday March 8, Thursday March 13 & Friday March 14)

http://ownca.oprah.com/Shows/To-Catch-A-Killer/Schedule.aspx

PLEASE NOTE: We have been advised to follow certain guidelines in regards to what information we are allowed to share until the show goes to air for certain confidentiality and legality reasons.  The media reach will be ramping up full-throttle as we head towards the launch date - Season Premiere is March 1st at 8pm ET.

We don't have the full-line up of air dates for every case online as of yet because some are still in post production.

The cases we will be examining are the following (although not in the exact order):

Donna Jean Awcock
Margaret McWilliam
David Buller
Jackie English
Nadine Gurczenski
Tricia Roach
Clyde Frost
Lynda White

Ocean Entertainment has also activated a facebook and twitter account for the news series "To Catch A Killer".  Please visit these sites, as there will be updates on episodes, air-dates etc.

Social media posts will be very basic to start.  We are embarking on a slow build toward launch.  We will roll out more and more as we get closer to launch and beyond (addressing each episode as they are about to air).

https://www.facebook.com/ToCatchAKillerTV

https://twitter.com/ToCatchAKiller_

Thanking you all in advance for your continued support.
 Friday March 14)

http://ownca.oprah.com/Shows/To-Catch-A-Killer/Schedule.aspx

PLEASE NOTE: We have been advised to follow certain guidelines in regards to what information we are allowed to share until the show goes to air for certain confidentiality and legality reasons.  The media reach will be ramping up full-throttle as we head towards the launch date - Season Premiere is March 1st at 8pm ET.

We don
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 07:58:06 AM by DCAK »

Wintermute

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2014, 09:10:23 AM »
Hi all, quick correction: Margaret's last name is "McWilliam," without a trailing "s." (Source: CBC and most other news sources.) It's an easy mistake to make when discussing the possible involvement of ex-Col. Williams.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 12:40:34 PM by Wintermute »

DCAK

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2014, 09:25:03 AM »
Noted - thank you Wintermute!

jobo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2014, 11:23:50 AM »
I will correct my post, thanks Wintermute.

Wintermute

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2014, 12:38:32 PM »
Thanks - you guys are fast!

I guess authorities (and probably a few journalists) have by now pieced together Russell Williams' whereabouts in August 1987. He both graduated and joined the military in that year, but I haven't been able to narrow down the month of either event. All the online sources I've found say that he graduated from UT Scarborough in 1987 and then "enrolled in the Canadian Forces in 1987" (Toronto Star, Feb 2010). Interestingly, he went by his stepfather's last name of Sovka until joining up: "After graduating from university in 1987, Sovka reverted to his birth name of Williams and enrolled in the Canadian Armed Forces" (Vancouver Sun, Feb 2010).

I also haven't found out whether his '87 enrollment in the Canadian Forces entailed a move away from Toronto. The articles I link to above just mention his move to Portage la Prairie in 1990.

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2014, 06:15:56 PM »
I hope the following will be of some help/jb :)

http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/training-establishments/recruit-school.page

Williams would have started here- Basic Officer Training, in Quebec.

Canadian Forces Leadership and Recruit School

About CFLRS

The Canadian Forces Leadership and Recruit School (CFLRS) conducts basic training for officers and non-commissioned members joining the Regular Force component of the Canadian Armed Forces. Saint-Jean Garrison located in Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu, Quebec, while its Non-Commissioned Members Professional Development Division is located on the site of the Royal Military College Saint-Jean.

Every year, more than 4000 people start their military career at CFLRS, while 2000 military members train, either by Distance Learning or in Residency. CFLRS employs more than 650 military and civilian employee

After Basic Training, to be selected for pilot training, it is on to Portage La Prairie, MB, for further training, and if successful, from there to Moose Jaw, SK for flying experience and training.  They must obtain 4,000 hours of flying time before they get their wings.   plse read the following link. 
http://www.vintagewings.ca/VintageNews/Stories/tabid/116/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/116/language/en-CA/The-Beat-Goes-On--training-Continues-at-Portage-La-Prairie.aspx

Williams would have been at these bases.  It takes a long time to become a pilot. The selection process is rigid - not all of them make it.

jb

« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 08:39:07 PM by jellybean »

DCAK

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2014, 09:49:05 AM »
Dear Members,

Friendly Reminder: The 2nd episode of "To Catch A Killer", which investigates the case of Margaret McWilliam, will air on Saturday March 8th @ 8pm ET, Thursday March 13th @ 9pm ET, Friday March 14th @ 12am ET, and then again on Thursday April 10th at 4pm ET (on OWN Canada).

Please cross-reference with the Oprah.com SHOW Schedule  - in case they make any last minute changes (link below).

http://ownca.oprah.com/Shows/To-Catch-A-Killer/Schedule.aspxhttps://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=210907625774624&set=vb.196186283913425&type=2&theater
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 03:32:48 PM by DCAK »

Jesa

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2014, 08:39:06 PM »
Watched the McWilliam episode tonight. Again 2 viable suspects were ruled out but the case has ended with a very good poi. Apparently the police are now re opening Margaret's case. I hope that my understanding was correct & this case is put on the table again, so hopefully the McWilliam family is finally able to have the "hope" of finding who the person responsible for taking Margaret's life, & that person can be identified.
What amazes me most, is that the law enforcement have had all info on all the cases for months now & so far we (the public) have heard nothing further. Perhaps LE is gathering & supporting the follow up from Mike's investigation.
IF LE is not....then I wish Le would share their investigative work at the time of the crimes....so that the team would have access to all pertinent info & could have more to work with.
All these families have put themselves back to the most horrific times of their lives & all in the hope of finding the person responsible.
At the least....the family members should be updated as their loved ones cases are reexamined.
I hope the McWilliam family is kept in the loop by LE & not excluded again.
These cases belong to the family members (or should) if LE can not(for whatever reason(s))  officially publicly acknowledge the names.... for some chance at a certain peace....by knowing the identity of the person who ended your loved ones life.
Mr. & Mrs. Mcwilliam....keep hope, & keep Margaret from being shelved again. As Mike states these cases ARE solvable & Margaret is long overdue for justice or at least the person being identified.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 10:32:29 PM by Jesa »

jobo

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2014, 04:54:03 AM »
I also watched the show.
 I agree Jesa, I was kindof surprised they spent time on Williams and Bernardo....I understand they were both living in the general vicinity when Margaret was murdered, but once Bernardo and Williams were arrested I would've thought LE would have charged or cleared them immediately. But Mike and his crew had to go through and check and see that Bernardo was out of the country...and Williams is a no go too.  I had mentioned Williams on my very first post, but I agree with Mike and his team that Williams didn't do it.
 Back in the '80's I lived just up the street from this murder and had completely forgotten about the other woman found murdered near the apartments....but I did recall hearing about it, once Mike and his team focused on it last night.
 I see it turns out the running shoes were very common, but the hat/cap was not.  The running shoes still point me in the direction of thinking this perp was under 30 years old.....and knew Warden Woods like the back of his hand, like the team alluded to.
  I was very interested in the geographical profiling.   One thing that was not mentioned is that Warden Woods is right beside the subway station..it probably doesn't have any bearing on who the perp is, I do think the perp lived nearby and spent a lot of time in that park.

.Mike mentioned that Margaret's clothes were not soiled and also in a neat pile.......there is another case in Ontario, where the Victim's clothes were in a neat pile...I'll have to go back and see who it was, I believe it was up by Barrie.
I went back and checked....the murder victim I was reminded of was Cindy Halliday (17) murdered near Waverly April 1992.....they figure her coat was washed by the perp and returned to the site...neatly folded.
There is also the case of the Unidentified woman found in Clarington that was probably murdered back during that time as well...

Glad to hear this case has been re-opened, and the McWilliams were given the name of the detective working on this case.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 05:45:58 AM by jobo »