Author Topic: Aaron Reid 1999 cold case  (Read 6894 times)

solvy

• View Profile
Aaron Reid 1999 cold case
« on: February 10, 2010, 10:13:39 PM »

February 10, 2010
Nicole O'Reilly
The Hamilton Spectator
BRANTFORD (Feb 10, 2010)

A Hamilton man has been charged with first-degree murder in the decade-old death of a Brantford teen struck by a train.

When 17-year-old Aaron Nigel Reid, lying face-down on the main line train tracks between Clarence and Elgin streets in Brantford, was struck by a passing CN freight train, police originally believed it to be an accident or suicide.

Reid's death in the early morning of Oct. 16, 1999 remained a closed case for more than nine years despite the disbelief of his family.

Aaron Nigel Reid

But as tips continued to swirl about what happened at a house party on Colborne Street and at the now-defunct Turnaround Bar across the street, Brantford police opened the case.

They began investigating Reid's death as a homicide last year, said Inspector Kent Pottruff.

A 10-month investigation that included more than 150 witness interviews resulted in the Hamilton man's arrest Monday, followed by three second-degree murder arrests of Brantford residents yesterday, he said.

Throughout the years, the victim's mother Donna Reid refused to believe there was no foul play in her son's death and fought for justice.

In an article published in the Brantford Expositor eight months ago, Donna said she believes her son was beaten and then placed on the tracks.

When reached by phone at her Brantford home yesterday, Donna said she wasn't feeling well, having the details of her son's horrible death stirred up again.

"I honestly don't know how I feel," she said.

A Facebook group called Remembering Aaron Reid is filled with photos of him through childhood, several in sports uniforms.

Some of the group's almost 240 members share memories of Reid along with calls for justice.

The newest posts starting yesterday expressed joy over the arrests.

Garrett Jordan Michael Henderson, now 29, of Hamilton is charged with first-degree murder. He was 18 at the time of Reid's death.

Two Brantford men, also 18 at the time of the death and now 29, are charged with second-degree murder.

A 25-year-old woman has also been charged with second-degree murder. However, she cannot be identified under the former Young Offenders Act.

Anyone with information is asked to call police at 519-756-0113 ext. 3330.

noreilly@thespec.com

905-526-3199

solvy

• View Profile
Re: Aaron Reid 1999 cold case
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2010, 07:13:24 PM »
Am :

Not sure of that, just read this on canoe and thought it should be mentioned here so Aaron was not forgotten.  So young to pass such a shame.

solvy

• View Profile
Re: Aaron Reid 1999 cold case
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2016, 06:13:56 PM »
Thanks for the time line Long.  Another sad case, so many hurt people, and finally 4 years, such is justice. I hope mom will be able to let go now and heal, I fear it will still be an uphill battle.