Author Topic: Russell Williams: Timeline  (Read 579353 times)

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
Russell Williams: Timeline
« on: February 09, 2010, 01:15:41 AM »
WIlliams joined the Canadian Forces in 1987 after obtaining a degree in economics and political science from the University of Toronto.

Williams earned his wings in 1990 and was posted to 3 Canadian Forces Flying Training School, based in Portage La Prairie, Man., where he served for two years as an instructor.

In 1992, Williams was posted to 434 Combat Support Squadron in Shearwater, N.S., where he flew the CC-144 Challenger in the electronic warfare and coastal patrol role.

He was then posted to the 412 Transport Squadron in Ottawa, where he transported VIPs, including high-ranking government officials and foreign dignitaries, also on Challengers.

Williams was promoted to major in November 1999 and was posted to Director General Military Careers, where he served as the multi-engine pilot career manager.

From August 2003 to June 2004, Williams obtained a master's of defence studies from the Royal Military College in Kingston, Ont.

In June 2004, he was promoted to lieutenant-colonel and was appointed commanding officer of 437 Transport Squadron in Trenton, Ont., a post he held for two years.

Between December 2005 and June 2006, he was the commanding officer for Camp Mirage, the secretive Canadian Forces forward logistics base that's not officially acknowledged by the government or military but has been widely reported to be near Dubai.

He was posted to the Directorate of Air Requirements in July 2006 where he served as project director for the Airlift Capability Projects Strategic (CC177 Globemaster III) and Tactical (CC130J Hercules J), and Fixed-Wing Search and Rescue.

In January 2009 he was posted to the Canadian Forces Language School in Gatineau, Que., for a six-month period of French language training, during which he was promoted to colonel.

Williams succeed Col. Mike Hood as commanding officer at CFB Trenton on July 15, 2009.

On Dec. 11, 2009, Col. Russ Williams welcomed the Olympic torch when it stopped in Trenton. He said: "On behalf of the base I would like to take the time to thank RBC for providing us with the opportunity to participate in this event. It's very exciting to be a part of this."

On Jan. 30, 2010, Williams was interviewed about 8 Wing's participation in Haiti relief. Williams said that in addition to Haiti, 8 Wing co-ordinates the resupply for Canada's mission in Afghanistan and air support for the Vancouver Olympics, which has a significant military presence.

According to Williams's DND profile, he is a keen photographer, fisherman and runner. Williams is married to a woman named Mary Elizabeth, and they lived on Cosy Cover Lane in Tweed, Ont., which is about 60 kilometres northeast of CFB Trenton.

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/ottawa/story/2010/02/08/f-williams-biography.html#ixzz0f1L3oYER

me

• View Profile
Re: Russell Williams: Timeline
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2010, 08:10:46 AM »
On one of the other threads, the subject of phsycological evaluations of senior military personal was introduced.  I read a quote by Col. Willilams' direct commanding officer that stated that the military does not conduct routine phsyc evaluations of senior personel as part of the promotion process - promotions are based purely on performance.

Another poster stated that this was a real Dr Jekyl/Mr. Hyde scenario.  From all the comments from locals, both on this site and in the general media, that truly seems to be the case.

Unfortunately, the public timeline for Willilams' carreer does not specify where he was in June 2001.  The closest date provided is for 1999, but there is no specific mention of exactly where he was based while posted to Director General Military Careers.  Perhaps there is a reader involved with the military who would be able to shed some insight on this.

It does appear that a great deal of his career focused on the Ottawa, Kingston, Trenton areas.

barbara

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2010, 09:39:19 AM »
i,m sure it wont take long to find out where he was working in 2001..bother,s me to know since he,s been charged,why we know everything about him,and nothing about the victims,how the media goes full to get a story on a killer but no story,s about the victims.this will be in the papers for years to come,and the trial.and as for kathleen she,s only in the paper on her anniversary.because trenton needs to be reminded every year what happened to her..my heart goes out to all the family,s who have lost there love ones here.......and eveywhere else....as for russel who cares where he works who cares where he lives who cares how many degrees he has  who cares who he travels with who care how many homes he has,who care what his rank was..it all come down to the military,,,well russel is responsible for his own actions regaurdless of who he is.....see how long it takes for the military to put a hush on that,i,m sure QUINTE WEST as we call it.has mcvicars on there desk now,i pray they have some dna on her,,i feel hes done this before,and i,m sure he will be caught for them all,,,,and with all his rank i,m sure no one looked at him as a suspect..everykiller soon makes mistakes,but if quinte west is investigating murder, well the last person they would ask for dna would be russell.that good guy at the base with all that training behind him.guess we have to wait,and see what happens ... rest in peace to all the victims in quinte west...

lostlinganer

• Silence, in the face of injustice is complicity wi
    • View Profile

lostlinganer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2010, 10:14:41 AM »
Here's the facts (before they disappear)....as of today, all "blogs" about Williams have disappeared! :( >:(
...looks like he's a good possible candidate for Kathleen MacVicar's murder.
This part really infuriateds me.... he should have been "looked at long before now"....maybe a few beautiful ladies would still be here.

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/Canadian+Forces+base+commander+faces+homicide+charges+Ontario+deaths/2536787/story.html

Shwa

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2010, 12:14:13 PM »
No.  You can be free and open in discussing any case you like.  The idea of 'innocent until proven guilty' only applies to the judiciary and the public is under no such constraint.  So long as you stick to discussing the evidence, or speculating on the evidence, you will be OK.  Defamation can be a problem, but it's application here would be specious and the person making the charge has to prove it.

I highly doubt he will be charged or convicted with anything less than first degree murder.  The crimes show a high degree of planning and purpose, and I believe murder committed during a rape is automatically first degree.  He won't hang, but he might someday wish he had the option.  A military man convicted of rape and murder of innocent women?  Protective custody for the rest of his life.

What I find highly interesting thus far is the fact that we do not know any of his details prior to 1987 other than he graduated from the U of T.  Where was he born?  Who are his parents and family and all that.  I am sure there will be some details that come out soon...

D1

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2010, 04:45:37 PM »
Indeed there is much we don't yet know but given the attention on this guy, I doubt that will last long. As far as having to be careful not to say anything defamatory, I'd say there is not much to worry about given the nature of the  crimes he has been charged with. He's been called a rapist, a murderer, committed home invasions, and has now apparently admitted to many more crimes according to the latest news. Tough to clean up a mess like this.

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2010, 07:07:01 PM »
Thanks Chris,for the rundown on his CV. He certainly had a lot of education in his field. It would make one think that he was so busy studying, when could he take time to do these horrific crimes and when would he be even planning them. The only thing that was brought up by the reporter in the Belleville news was that nobody knew where his hometown was? Nobody knew who is parents were or if they were still living?There was no information on all of that. Does anyone know where he was born and what part of Canada he is from??? Just wondering about that, because if his parents are living they will be devastated. I sure feel sorry for them. 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

D1

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2010, 09:48:36 PM »
The news has been showing the location of a body that the police were directed to the day after Williams arrest. Apparently he is cooperating

What is obvious is how hard it is for everyone to believe that someone in a position like this could be involved in crimes like these. That alone has likely hampered the investigation in the past. But thats not to say the military is the problem. The same could be said if he were a top public figure in a large corporation or a even some prominent politician who's neighbor had been murdered. The position alone is enough to keep most sane persons from looking too closely at the man.

Shwa

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2010, 06:27:39 AM »
The position alone is enough to keep most sane persons from looking too closely at the man.

Very important point I think.  A person entering into the rational and disciplined by design and committing what amounts to irrational acts.  And then, once he was caught, reverting to the rational acts of cooperation.

Very bizarre.

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2010, 11:31:07 AM »
I sure feel sorry for his family. They certainly sound like a very educated lot and to have to know that they were living with a would be Jekyll/Hyde personality must be a shock to them. The family will have a lot to absorb over all the crimes that he has committed. There was a great number of break-in's that he had admitted to, it was a high number and I can't think of how many right now but it was over 12. 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

D1

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2010, 03:22:46 PM »
This must have been one nightmare of a case for the investigators to crack. Aside from Williams rank and position, he had also moved all over the place. Even when he was stationed on a particular base, he was still running around piloting the PM, various dignitaries and even Royalty about the country. Just goes to show how the evidence must be allowed to tell its own story, even if that evidence leads to the most unlikely of suspects. Williams unique choice of tires may just have been the final straw in his undoing.

The RCMP geo profiling division has their work cut out now. They don't seem well equipped to deal with crimes spread so far afield. There was another similar case of an international serial killer finally brought to justice by way of the coincidence of so many murders occurring wherever he went. That was also a tough case for investigators. One person just accidentally noticed the coincidences which then led to that suspects arrest.
See the Huvenaut case at -http://www.transfixed.net/trans/docs/doc047royal%20conspiracy.htm

As for Jack Unterweger, he was a rare and clever offender, but his case may demonstrate what McCrary likes to say: "When you educate a psychopath, all you get is an educated psychopath."

« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 04:22:49 PM by D1 »

SAP

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2010, 12:58:17 AM »
If this has been posted somewhere already please delete.

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/cars/Sidebar+Cold+Cases/2547411/story.html

Williams posted to the Shearwater base near Halifax from 1992 to 1994. During that time, police report three unsolved homicides.

- Andrea King, 18

On Jan. 1, 1992, Andrea King, 18, flew to Halifax, N.S. from New Westminister, B.C., to find work. She called her sister from the Halifax airport and said she intended to stay at a hostel. She was to phone her family the next day, but was not heard from again. Despite a year long missing person investigation being conducted in both Halifax and New Westminister, B.C., no trace of King was found and police were unable to positively identify anyone who had contact with her after her arrival in Nova Scotia.

On Dec. 22, 1992, her skeletal remains were located in a wooded area in Lower Sackville, N.S., The cause of death was determined to be a homicide.

- Shelley Denise Connors, 17

Shelley Connors went missing from her Halifax home on May 29,1993, and was reported missing by her mother the following day. Her body was discovered in a wooded area of Spryfield in the early evening of June 1, 1993. The victim was located in a wooded area partially covered with leaves and branches.

The Government of the Province of Nova Scotia is offering a $150,000 reward in the case.

- Kimber Leanne Lucas, 25

Kimber Leanne Lucas was last seen on Nov. 23, 1994 early on the day of her death. Lucas was known on the street as a heavy drug user and was seven months pregnant. Her body was discovered behind a building on North Street near Agricola Street. The Government of the Province of Nova Scotia is offering a reward in the amount of $150,000 in the case.

Williams posted to Ottawa and CFB Trenton around the time that Kathleen MacVicar, 19, was slain at Trenton in 2001.

- Kathleen MacVicar, 19.

Kathleen MacVicar was seen for the last time leaving on foot from a friend's residence. Two days later, on June 15, 2001, her body was discovered on Canadian Forces Base Trenton in Ontario. MacVicar had been raped and stabbed.

In 1990, Williams had his first posting at the central flight school in Portage la Prairie, Man., near Winnipeg.

- Glenda Morrisseau, 19.

SAP

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2010, 01:20:59 AM »
http://www.nationalpost.com/news/story.html?id=2548167&p=2

There is at least one high-profile missing persons case from around the time Williams was in Manitoba.

Janice Louise Howe, 35, went missing on Aug. 28, 1992, after driving off from her parents' Winnipeg home in a blue 1985 Olds Ciera.

The car was found the next morning about 30 kilometres east of Kenora. The car's rear floor mat and a tarp were missing from the trunk.

« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 01:28:54 AM by SAP »

lostlinganer

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2010, 10:27:28 AM »
Wow!..... it just gets even worse doesn't it.  Where will this go?

http://www.capebretonpost.com/index.cfm?sid=326417&sc=511