Welcome to UnsolvedCanada.ca

This forum lists unsolved murders and missing people from Canada and other related discussions. If you wish to add a case, please create an account and add it, or send the information using the 'Contact' link on the top menu. Please Read The Rules Here.

Question:

Why are many people unwilling to provide tips to police that could solve a murder?

Author Topic: Melanie Carpenter - 23 - Abducted and Murdered - January 6,1995 - Newton, BC  (Read 6829 times)

Jenine

• View Profile
Hello,
I am trying to find an article related to this story.  I am recalling this story from memory and I believe it was in the mid 1990s.  She was a young blond girl who was abducted form Island Tan in Newton, Surrey and then found murdered somewhere in the Coquihalla Hwy.  There was video tape of her withdrawing money from an ATM with the suspect in the background.  The story was that this guy from Alberta did this crime and then fled back to Alberta and committed suicide, so the authorities were never able to solve the crime.

I am trying to find the name of the girl who was abducted and any stories surrounding her murder.

Sleuth

Welcome Jenine! Des would be the gal to answer your question as to who the young girl was. She has a great data base!!!! May I ask if you are looking into this cold case, if it is a cold case?

Jenine

• View Profile
Ok... how do I access Des' database?  I'm not even sure it's unsolved.  I don't recall that there was a resolution in the press at the time as the suspect had committed suicide.  If it has been solved, perhaps I'm in the wrong website....

I'm interested in this case, as I believe it led to laws being changed re working alone and also dispelled the theory that women shouldn't fight back.  I remember her father being quite distraught because he always counselled her to "just do whatever someone wants and they won't hurt you", which we know know is not true.

Jenine

• View Profile
Thanks for your response. I will wait to hear from Des as I have searched this website and can't find anyone that seems to fit. 

I'm not sure when the laws regarding working alone came into effect, but I seem to remember this particular murder shined alot of light on this issue (as did Grant De Patie of course).

Jenine

• View Profile
I have a personal reason for wanting to know more about this story.  It affected me many years ago when it happened, as at the time, I had very young daughters and could totally relate to this young woman and her fathers pain for his misguided advice to her.

My (now grown, but still only 17 years old) daughter had been working at Island Tan for the last 10 months.  But the company has now revised their policy and is again scheduling the young beautiful girls they hire, to work alone.  My daughter is no longer working for the company because of this, but there are still girls working there and I know this happens in many retail situations.  My goal is to have the tragic story of this girl brought to the news media again, so that the people who were too young to remember may see themselves in this situation and perhaps some lives will be saved.  Either by them changing jobs or being more cautious about whom they deal with in their jobs.

But first I need to know the name of the girl, so that I can get her story from the new archives.

D1

Jenine: Melanie Carpenter may be the name you are looking for.

Jenine

• View Profile
Yes!  Melanie Carpenter!!! that is the name!  thank you!!

the stuff of legend

• View Profile
For those of you who are unfamiliar with the story, Melanie Carpenter was a 23-year-old, tanning salon manager who was abducted from the "Island Tan" in
Newton where she worked.
The suspect was 37-year-old, ex con Fernand Auger who was en parole after serving 2/3 of his sentence due to violent crimes. (including sexual-assault charges)
On the cold afternoon of January 6th. 1995, Melanie was kidnapped from her place of work where she was ALONE after receiving a suspicious call from Auger feigning interest in doing business.
Fernand Auger drove Melanie Carpenter out to the Fraser Canyon where he sexually assaulted and then stabbed Melanie to death. Auger committed suicide using his car before he could be arrested.
Melanie Carpenter's body was later found on January 26 and the site has since become a memorial dedicated in her memory.

Chris

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
Wow I never heard that before. thanks for sharing. It is too bad justice was never served.

the stuff of legend

• View Profile
My (now grown, but still only 17 years old) daughter had been working at Island Tan for the last 10 months.  But the company has now revised their policy and is again scheduling the young beautiful girls they hire, to work alone.  My daughter is no longer working for the company because of this, but there are still girls working there and I know this happens in many retail situations.  My goal is to have the tragic story of this girl brought to the news media again, so that the people who were too young to remember may see themselves in this situation and perhaps some lives will be saved.  Either by them changing jobs or being more cautious about whom they deal with in their jobs.

Jenine' (I don't know if I did the quote right)
I've been wanting raise awareness about Melanie Carpenter too (laity in particular for some reason). I remember when this took place, I was only 10-years-old and it effected me so deeply. I wanted so bad to be able to have made a difference. Maybe now together we can.
I worry people are forgetting. I can't even find a picture of Melanie or the suspect. No pictures, no documentaries, no old media coverage, nothing.
It sends a cold chill down my spine to hear that Island Tan is back to giving their female employees late night, shifts alone. Did we learn nothing?
If I had the resources and a filming permit. I'd try doing a documentary
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 05:10:14 AM by the stuff of legend »

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
Here is a full story on this young lady - thanks to the poster who came up with her name - Melanie Carpenter - I was able to locate it.

It is quite the story from earliest beginnings to the very ending - well worth reading (I promise)

http://pi.library.yorku.ca/ojs/index.php/public/article/viewFile/30043/27606

JB
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 04:49:02 PM by jellybean »

jellybean

• View Profile
Here is the killer at her bank using her card (This is the only image of him) Fernand Auberg/jb

Go to 2:39 on this video.

http://www.cbc.ca/archives/categories/society/crime-justice/the-long-lens-of-the-law/cameras-cameras-everywhere.html

I wonder about Kelly Cook?/jb

jellybean

• View Profile
Here is a past friend of Auger who had a conversation with him before Auger drove all the way to BC and murdered Melanie (He did not even know her)

http://business.highbeam.com/4341/article-1G1-16429347/prime-suspect-fernand-auger-suicide-adds-mystery-woman

The prime suspect: Fernand Auger's suicide adds to the mystery of a woman's abduction. (Melanie Carpenter) (includes related article about the victim: Melanie Carpenter)

Article from: Maclean's | January 30, 1995 | Jenish, D'Arcy; Ajello, Robin    | Copyright

At the time, it seemed like a harmless holiday greeting from an old friend.

On New Year's Day, a CBC French-language journalist in Sudbury, Ont., received a collect call from 37-year-old Fernand Auger, who was living in Calgary.

The two men had been friends since the late 1980s when Auger was a gregarious waiter at a popular Greek restaurant in the Northern Ontario mining city.

Auger, who had been released from a Bowden, Alta., penitentiary in August, 1994, after serving 16 months of a two-year sentence for armed robbery, told his friend that he was working at a Calgary restaurant but planning to move. But he would not disclose his plans. ``He said, `If they work out, you'll know about it,' '' recalled the journalist, requesting anonymity. ``I said `Good luck. Keep in touch.' As far as I know, I'm the last person he talked to before he left Calgary.''

Within days, Auger had become the prime suspect in the abduction of 23-year-old Melanie Carpenter, who disappeared shortly after noon on Jan. 6 from the Surrey, B.C., tanning salon where she was working alone. In the two days following Carpenter's disappearance, at least four people observed Auger in the southern Alberta city of Lethbridge, where he had lived and worked in the early 1980s and again a decade later. Shortly after those sightings, Auger was dead.

On Jan. 15, a real estate agent who was showing a client a vacant home in High River, Alta., 50 km south of Calgary, found Auger's frozen body in a car parked in a garage on the property. He had taken his own life by inhaling carbon monoxide fumes from the vehicle's engine.

An RCMP search of the car, a red Hyundai Excel that Auger had rented in Calgary on Jan. 1 using a friend's credit card, turned up several strands of long blond hair believed to be from the missing woman.

jellybean

• View Profile
Fernand Auger was in Lethbridge AB at the time that Kelly Cook was murdered.
There are a lot of similarities (the phone call which was a ruse to get them alone) He had picked complete strangers to murder.  He travelled long distance from Calgary to Vancouver to murder Melanie and he didn't even know her.

Hands tied behind the victim's back and a number of other things.

He had spent time in jail for sexual assaults of two teenage prostitutes, served time for armed robbery.

jb

« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 02:36:02 PM by jellybean »

sisterhood

• View Profile
I remember the day after Melanie went missing. I was 15 and had just started my first job, and I was so thankful that I never had to work alone. I also recall a pamphlet that went out when her parents were trying to get the law changed. Years later my youngest sister started working at Island Tan, and because Melanie's parents fought for the law, she always had a closing buddy. I'm thankful to them, but I'm terrified to learn this could be changing. Especially knowing how unsafe Surrey is today.

I'm glad to know that someone else hasn't forgotten about Melanie after all these years.

A garden of tears: the murder of Kathryn-Mary Herbert

A casefile of events and story related to the 1975 murder of Kathryn Mary Herbert (Sutton).

Click Here