Author Topic: Noreen Greenley - 13 - Missing - September 14, 1963 - Bowmanville, ON  (Read 152997 times)

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
Re: Noreen Greenley - 13 - Missing - September 14, 1963 - Bowmanville, ON
« Reply #90 on: February 14, 2011, 06:40:47 PM »
Perhaps she hasn't looked at yet.  Or, maybe she is thinking about it before she responds.  Have you considered this approach;
"I think we may be related, and perhaps share some common relatives?" Or do you  feel, that it wouldn't make any difference? (Just thought that you may get an earlier response that way) Best of luck with it.  You've done really well.

PEACE
JB

SAP

« Reply #91 on: February 15, 2011, 12:09:25 PM »
Hello,
I'm brand new here and I've read this thread from the beginning. Several people have commented on the apparent oddity of Noreen returning to the girlfriend's place complaining of the cold and then refusing to take the offered coat.

Personally, I don't see anything odd in this at all. Consider yourself as a 13 year old girl who has just been kicked to the curb by your girlfriend because of a boy. Perhaps the girls had made different plans earlier in the day and now her friend had changed them in favor of the new boyfriend.  Most 13 yr. old girls are going to be upset by that, typically feeling hurt and rejected. So Noreen goes to wait for the bus, probably annoyed and getting more annoyed as she stands there. Likely she got her dander up about being sent home, then decides to go back to the house to protest. She may well have said it was cold, may have complained bitterly about it. But, it historical data shows it was only 55 degrees that night. Not exactly balmy, but not usually considered cold by a teenager's standard. To my read on this, I think the whole thing about the coat was likely meaningless. Likely, two teenage girls squabbling because of a boy.

Anyway, just making my intial introduction by inserting my opinion all over the place.  ;)

Welcome Retshome. You could be spot on with your suggestion. I believe it would hurt a younger best friend who wasn't into dating yet to be neglected like that and sort of cast aside for a boy.

Do you have any more suggestions from a "fresh pair of eyes"? Sometimes we get stuck in a rut and new eyes are always appreciated. :)

jobo

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 15, 2011, 07:59:40 PM »
Hi Retshome.   I see what you are saying about it just being a teenage girl spat, because of a boy, and the couple hooking up could want Noreen to leave them alone.... but it doesn't explain the coat to me.   I say that because 
                                                                                 a) Noreen would have been too mad to return for anything....
                                                                                 b) It was 55 degrees that night, not that cold for a kid....
                                                                                 c)  If Noreen did go back, (it's a fair hike there and back to the bus stop)
                                                                                      why wouldn't she take a coat at that point?
                                                                                   OR
                                                                                  d)  Would she risk missing the bus that only came once an hour?
The coat story brings up too many questions with me.   I suppose the young couple wouldn't say that if it wasn't true, or would they?   It would explain Noreen missing the bus.

Greenley Family

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 16, 2011, 08:07:22 AM »
Just updating everyone on the attempt i made to find Noreen on facebook. I located a woman on facebook named Anne Greenley from Calgary Alberta was so excited thinking the almost impossible that she was still alive, everything seemed to fit so perfect her name, where she lived,even her family looked like mine. She replied to my message and unfortunately she is not Noreen but she is a wonderful person and also said that the Kelly Greenley from her family looks just like me.  She did offer to relay this information to her family and to also check out this site to offer any insight on the case.  Well back to the drawing board. Still won't give up! 
Thanks Anne

jobo

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 16, 2011, 10:07:01 AM »
Sorry it didn't work out to be a connection....but I think you may have met a new friend...so it's not all bad.   ;)

SAP

« Reply #95 on: February 16, 2011, 10:12:43 AM »
Just updating everyone on the attempt i made to find Noreen on facebook. I located a woman on facebook named Anne Greenley from Calgary Alberta was so excited thinking the almost impossible that she was still alive, everything seemed to fit so perfect her name, where she lived,even her family looked like mine. She replied to my message and unfortunately she is not Noreen but she is a wonderful person and also said that the Kelly Greenley from her family looks just like me.  She did offer to relay this information to her family and to also check out this site to offer any insight on the case.  Well back to the drawing board. Still won't give up! 
Thanks Anne

I'm sorry it didn't work out after having your hopes high. I hope very much in the days ahead you have success.

jellybean

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 16, 2011, 10:49:21 AM »
Greenly Family:  To my way of thinking, while you have not reached your goal, you have met a wonderful person whom can be a positive addition in your quest to find Noreen.  It is frustrating and discouraging at times, but you have made some connections that you didn't have before.
Also, I am  thinking that if you placed an ad in the personal sections of say the Regina and Saskatoon paper, or online with Canoe, you will reach  another  audience.  Kids  grow up, and move away from their hometown.  I am sure that anyone living there at that time would carry around with them the memory of  Noreen's  disappearance.  Also, you might consider a facebook for Noreen.  Perhaps your new found Facebook friend could help you with that.
http://www.sacp.ca/missing/search_results.php?categories=all&detachment=all&gender=Female&txtSearch=noreen+greenley&newsearch=1&Su
In my research, it appears that Noreen isn't even registered as missing, or anything in Saskatchewan.?? Is this case is sitting in boxes underneath a detectives desk, who works on it whenever he can? (Of which I am sure you are ever so grateful)  Noreen should be registered somewhere I would think? - or is she under Cold Case?  If she is not registered anywhere,  I am not in anyway criticizing the Greenley Family, as families leave it up to the police.
This happened many years ago, and they probably did not have a system set up at that time.  If she is not registered, perhaps  she should be.
A good resource person to e-mail is the RCMP Historical unit.  In fact we have a thread under Saskatchewan, I believe with Cpl Pellay from RCMP who came onto it and explained what the Historical Unit does and I will give you the link to the RCMP Historical Unit Facebook website.
I am going to post this message on the board now, so that I don't lose it.

PEACE
JB

« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 12:05:49 PM by jellybean »

history_major

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 16, 2011, 12:02:14 PM »
Going back to the whole coat issue...
I know even though I am no longer a teenager, my friend and I are at odds because I am in a wonderful relationship and she is not and is therefore jealous.  Now...I do remember what it was like to be a teenager and how stubborn I was...
Was Noreen known for being stubborn?
This is a scenario that I can see being plausible.

Noreen leaves her friends house, potentially feeling jealous, or at the very least that her friend chose the boy over her.  She walks, gets cold and heads back for warmth.  Instead of being told to come on in, she is handed a coat to keep her warm.  Now she may be pretty mad at her friend, and if she was stubborn or anything like me when I was younger, turn down the coat out of anger, or pride, whatever...saying that if her friend didn't need her anymore, that she wouldn't need her friend's coat to keep her warm.

The other thing, about the young couple staying together...that is fairly unusual.  To be together from that young and end up getting married.  I was with my high school sweetheart for almost 5 years and we found out that we changed too much in the span between high school and university. So we broke up.  Is it possible that they married one another to keep a secret, and to ensure it stayed a secret?  Absolutely NOT pointing fingers in any way, just an observation.

Good luck with your search, and if there is anything I can do to help, please let me know :)

Greenley Family

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 16, 2011, 12:16:31 PM »
Thanks history_major for your insight.  I have also thought about that, the couple being together and than getting married to each other to hold a deep secret too. I am not pointing fingers either..just an observation!

jellybean

• View Profile

Retshome

• View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 16, 2011, 02:00:20 PM »
Thank you SAP for the welcome!   :D

Like history_major, I too, was trying to consider it from the perspective of a young teenage girl. Common sense and logic are not the same creatures to a 13 year old girl as they are to most adults. Add to that perspective that we can do little more than speculate on what could be countless explanations and well, it's just one possible theory.

Greenly Family, I'm also sorry that your lead didn't pan out. That had to be very disappointing. Try as we might to keep our hopes in check, hope is always there anxious and ready to spring. Jellybean makes a good point in that you now have one more friend to add to your side. You never know when or where an unexpected lead might come from. Along that line of thinking I agree that setting up a Facebook page for Noreen might be a good idea. It's a great big world out there and Facebook is like billions of wormholes allowing anybody to get anywhere in no time. It's just another way to get Noreen out there for people. I'd like to suggest that if you do set up a page that you put as many visual cues as you can on it. We're a short attention span people now days and visuals tend to rule the day. So anything you've got, images of the area, Noreen, clothes she was wearing etc. etc. There are tons of tiny details that might seem completely insignificant to some but stand out loud and clear to another.

Oh and one last thought, have you cruised the area through Google maps? Oldtimer was saying that his sister-in-law visioned Noreen being buried underneath two trees of different species near the train tracks. It might be possible to see that from Google's sat. view.

jobo

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 16, 2011, 04:41:43 PM »
history_major and Greenley family....I am totally there with you, on the 'couple'  observation.   
That's why I think it would be very helpful if we could find out if the call was made from the guy in Cesarea(but abrubtly ended) around the same time as Bonnie's death.

Greenley Family

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 17, 2011, 07:20:52 AM »
My mom doesn't think the phone call she received by the man was at the same time as Bonnie's death.  I am going to try to set up a facebook page for her and see how it goes.

jobo

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 17, 2011, 02:55:18 PM »
Thanks, I shall stop beating that fact up then. 
 Someone out there wants to talk though, I hope he calls back again, because so much time has passed that we need a conscience to act up.  I wonder if you should have a tape recorder set up in case he does call again.   I see Joyce has joined, I directed her to this thread, as she had posted in a different thread.

I see there is a facebook thread for Sonia Varaschin, as well.   That is a good idea.

jellybean

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 17, 2011, 06:23:10 PM »
My mom doesn't think the phone call she received by the man was at the same time as Bonnie's death.  I am going to try to set up a facebook page for her and see how it goes.

Hugs to you and your family today!!

PEACE
JB