Author Topic: Noreen Greenley - 13 - Missing - September 14, 1963 - Bowmanville, ON  (Read 150200 times)

lostlinganer

• Silence, in the face of injustice is complicity wi
    • View Profile
In 1963, the "dying breed of men" who wore that type of hat, never went out without it.  He would be a man who had one for daily wear and if he was serious about his hat and not too poor, he would have a clean shinny one for dress up.  He would also probably have a straw one for the hot weather; but the style would always be "his style".  At the time, those men would be in their late forties I'd say.  ... maybe even early fifties.  My father wore one of those all his life ... never left the house without it.  He had a scruffy one for the jobs (a carpenter by trade) and they never wore hard hats in those days.... so always needed the hat for protection from the hot sun.  I also noticed certain ethnic groups more bred into wearing that type of hat.  ... such as Italians and other Europeans.  These men usually always worked outdoor trades and/or farming .. whereas, construction metal workers, plumbers etc. wore caps because a hat would blow off their head.  ...and of course, white collar workers wore that type of hat (if they wore a hat).    It has always had me wondering if the guy wearing the hat, took it from someone else, or had it left in his car.  .... as if the hat was just a "cocky mood" that guy was in that night.  ... just more food for thought!  My gut feeling is that they hat is key in identifying that man.

Logical

• View Profile
Great post Lost! Thank you for all that info, I grew up with military and pilots for family so headdress was of a different style, but the respect that is given to headdress is big, so it is nice to learn the emotions are similar for other hat styles and the individual wearing it.

I read that it was a dying style and wondered if the use of the hat was for the abduction (s) as well.

The more we dig here the more I think of Marrianne Shuett in Kilbride, the car is similar, I think witness saw a hat on the driver too.

Kilbride is like Bowmanville, small country town, quiet, nice, many many many cars going through town that are not locals, easy access to side roads and country back roads and the 401. Kilbride you would exit through Derry road and then Trafalger to the 401. Or through Campbellville to 401 and Carlisle to hwy 6 which then goes to QEW or 401. The roads are dark, the driveways are long and the homes are hidden by trees and foliage for the most part. And we kids in the country walked/biked wherever we felt like, we felt safe, even if you did not know the person you always helped if they were lost.

Logical

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
Hi York.... What is meant by a chrome section across the back?  What could that be?

quote: dark blue Renault station wagon or a small or compact size European model, dark blue or black in color, with a chrome section across the back."

Here is a 1969 Renault with chrome across the back.  Only in production for 3 years.  Other Renaults, 1963 were lacking in chrome embellishments.

http://www.classicandperformancecar.com/front_website/octane_interact/carspecs.php/?see=3347

york3404

• View Profile
Thank you everyone for your dedication to this case. I have since been able get back in contact with family members and we are pushing forward. I will follow up when I can and please do not get offended if I am not able to get back to you the same day you send me message. I promise I will once I get a chance I always do.

jobo

• View Profile
Appreciate the updates, york3404.

lostlinganer

• View Profile
York; I though you might want to print out the following page and show it around to the applicable people... see just who all in those neighboring communities (wild punks like to play big guy with daddy's or uncle's car in any town but their own) might have been joy riding with one of these cars a lot.... or who in Noreen's community owned one of these cars that might have been driven by a wild son, relative etc. .. or local thug.... could even have been a visiting punk from out of town using a relative's car (where he was visiting) to play "big shot" and maybe even get away with rape/s and/or murder.  One thing is for sure; whomever did this to Noreen was in the position to be "cocky" that night... maybe because he wouldn't be staying around there for any period of time... like a visiting relative or someone home for a weeks vacation from another city, ... someone with a weekend pass, or something like that! ... and another thing is for sure, this guy probably did it before Noreen and after Noreen .... just takes the right digging, or lifting the right rock to find the snake.  Here is the link to print out and show around to find out if one of those imported cars was known to the general public.... could even have been owned by a quiet old man or old woman for that matter.  http://ca.images.search.yahoo.com/yhs/search;_ylt=A0LEViyCa79TP1gAqJ4XFwx.;_ylu=X3oDMTBsa3ZzMnBvBHNlYwNzYwRjb2xvA2JmMQR2dGlkAw--?_adv_prop=image&fr=yhs-Chitika-d2s_a&va=Vintage+British+cars+1950s&hspart=Chitika&hsimp=yhs-d2s_a&vm=r 

I wonder if the authorities had complaints about such that season... there and in neighboring towns.     

modified to add:  I was just in another Ontario thread that led me to some digging..... in doing so, I came up a few pics of guys in blue collar work... and just as I said.... you will always find those odd guys who still wore their traditional "fedora" ... a tradition usually handed down by the father.  Notice how the hat makes the, otherwise ordinary blue collar worker, stand out as a prouder, a little more independent guy.  On this link, you will notice that in the first few pics.   http://ua593.com/history_ua593.php#
« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 08:13:00 PM by lostlinganer »

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
This is one of the oldest missing person's cases listed here at UC. In September Noreen will have been missing for fifty one years. There is still hope that she will be found.

If you have information on this case, please contact any of the following:

1.Durham Regional Police Service : 905-579-1520 Ext 5400, email - Oshawa@drps.ca
Reference Case#: 1963-2112

2.Crime Stoppers: 1-800-222-TIPS(8477) or online at https://www.tipsubmit.com
Crime Stoppers provides anonymous tipping

3.Send email to the National Centre for Missing Persons and Unidentified Remains at:
canadasmissing-disparuscanada@rcmp-grc.gc.ca

picture enlarges nicely

york3404

• View Profile
Re: Noreen Greenley - 13 - Missing - September 14, 1963 - Bowmanville, ON
« Reply #338 on: November 05, 2014, 01:17:23 AM »
Well it's been a long two years, and even tho we have made connections we didn't have before I have to admit we will continue looking.  :-X

jobo

• View Profile
« Reply #339 on: November 05, 2014, 07:12:09 PM »
At least you ARE looking and trying to find answers.  That is a huge help to the cause to find Noreen, and maybe some truth to what happened to her.

Logical

• View Profile
« Reply #340 on: November 06, 2014, 12:46:40 PM »
York, maybe look into Clarence Albert Peacock. His pic is a cut and paste of the perp drawing for Marrianne Schuett and I believe the suspect descriptions were similar in Noreen's abduction?

http://www.yrp.ca/coldcases8195.aspx

He went by Albert Peacock, found murdered, strangled 1991

Here is an article with MS suspect drawing

http://www.insidehalton.com/news-story/2942514-what-really-happened-to-marianne-schuett-/

Eerie similarity in the pic, I apologize if he was another innocent murdered party but am curious to know more about him, only because as searching other info his pic popped up just after I saw the MS perp pic and could not get over the similarity?

Logical

lostlinganer

• View Profile
« Reply #341 on: November 07, 2014, 10:12:54 PM »
here is the description of Marianne Schuett's case:  including a sketch of the car and the suspect... might be good to have them here in case the links go dead in the future.  and I think you are onto something Logical.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 10:38:23 PM by lostlinganer »

lostlinganer

• View Profile
« Reply #342 on: November 07, 2014, 10:32:28 PM »
this looks like the suspect for Marrianne Schuett's disappearance.   and I am enclosing a snipit of the police article on his death.  I did this because chances are next time I look for them, they'll be gone.  If you guys want this and the post previous to it removed, just tell me.  I don't want to distract from Noreen.

butterflies

• View Profile
« Reply #343 on: November 11, 2014, 12:02:34 PM »
My thoughts and prayers go out to the Greenley family. I have been reading this thread for awhile and just wanted to share some thoughts. Please correct me if i'm wrong I am just thinking out loud. I don't want to step on toes or accuse anyone. I keep coming back to this "baseball coach"..

I just have a few questions. Where both Gary's around the same age? Did they possibly have friends/acquaintances  in common? Is there a possibility of a third person being present that night? Did this baseball coach also coach boys and girls baseball ie: coach either of the Garys?? Could he have been a predator??

Just a thought - what if Noreen missed the bus, returned back to Bonnie's with the hope of her letting her in- instead Bonnie or Gary suggested she grab a ride home with a "third person" (so they could both be left alone). Someone who was older with a car?

butterflies

• View Profile
« Reply #344 on: November 11, 2014, 12:07:34 PM »
The person who picked up Noreen that fateful night must have had some standing in the community, or why would so many people cover for him.  I find it alarming that no one has come forward after all this time.  Would they be in trouble with police if they came forward now after all these years?  Having covered up information so long ago.  The family needs answers, I think that is all they're asking for now.  To bring Noreen home for a decent burial.

Again just thinking out loud, maybe the people covering for him were victims themselves? afraid to speak out or too embarrassed, maybe they were threatened??