Author Topic: Noreen Greenley - 13 - Missing - September 14, 1963 - Bowmanville, ON  (Read 154191 times)

jobo

• View Profile
Re: Noreen Greenley - 13 - Missing - September 14, 1963 - Bowmanville, ON
« Reply #60 on: January 24, 2011, 06:14:38 PM »
I also think if you contact one of the reporters from the local paper, it is a great idea.   Clarington This Week is the local paper, I believe.   I see, that on the www, there is several websites such as durham region.com.   You might want to check into one or two of those as well.   Bowmanville, I believe, amalgamated with Clarington, and they are in Durham Region.     

Greenley Family

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 29, 2011, 08:55:05 PM »
Keep your eyes open for a letter i am writing in the local papers of Bowmanville (Clarington) area.  Will be appearing very shortly

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 29, 2011, 09:11:56 PM »
Keep your eyes open for a letter i am writing in the local papers of Bowmanville (Clarington) area.  Will be appearing very shortly

We will say a prayer that you have a helpful response. And yes, we will keep checking the local newspaper.
Here's hoping (fingers and toes crossed)

PEACE
JB

jobo

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 30, 2011, 08:01:18 AM »
Way to go!   I am still sniffing around, just nothing new to post, at this point.    I am so glad you are trying to get the word out.

Greenley Family

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 02, 2011, 06:30:32 PM »
The letter is in progress now and  i will let you know when it appears in the local papers.

jobo

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 04, 2011, 03:44:59 AM »
Great.   Most of us should be able to get it online.  Will it be Clarington This Week?   

Greenley Family

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 04, 2011, 09:20:14 AM »
Yes it will be in the Clarington this week and the Oshawa this week papers.

Greenley Family

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 04, 2011, 10:14:57 AM »
Our missing are searching for a voice,
we have to be their voices,
Someone to speak their minds,
tell their stories,
Paint their portraits,
They must be heard,
See them,
Feel them,
Never forget them!

Greenley Family

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 04, 2011, 10:24:08 AM »
Absence does not make the heart grow fonder,
Absence makes the heart forget,
Absence makes the heart search,
Absence makes the heart yearn for that which it needs.

Greenley Family

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 06, 2011, 09:50:40 AM »
Would really appreciate your response old.geezer, hopefully you are still around to help with this case.  My family would really appreciate it!

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 09, 2011, 10:27:55 AM »
'She was here' says niece seeking answers
Feb 09, 2011 - 04:30 AM

JEFF MITCHELL

BOWMANVILLE -- People still ask Kelly Greenley if she's from the family of the little girl who vanished all those years ago.

"As soon as I mention my name people say, 'Are you related to the girl who went missing?'" Ms. Greenley said. "It's just always been in our family."

Noreen Greenley was 13 when she parted ways with friends in Bowmanville on the night of Sept. 14, 1963, and was never seen again. Intensive searches at the time of the girl's disappearance and attempts over the years to rekindle local interest in the enduring mystery have yielded no trace of Noreen, and no solid theories as to what happened to her.

Although Ms. Greenley, 43, never met her father's sister, she is committed to solving a mystery she said caused lasting heartache for Noreen's parents and siblings, four brothers and two sisters.

"This kind of broke up the family," said Ms. Greenley, who now lives in Marmora. "I can't imagine how I would feel, having a missing child; I panic when my kids get sick.

"We've always said we'd like to get to the bottom of this."

Massive searches were launched in and around Bowmanville after Noreen disappeared. None yielded any trace of her.

After a night of bowling with a couple of friends, the Grade 7 student went on her own to catch a bus home to the community of Maple Grove at about 11 p.m.

But she never boarded the bus. No trace of her was ever found.

Months after she went missing there was a report Noreen had been seen in Calgary. Her parents flew to Alberta, hopeful the lead was legitimate, but the trail led nowhere. Noreen became the child who simply vanished without a trace.

The story has been revisited from time to time over the years, including in 2003, when homicide investigators issued an appeal for information. But no calls came. Durham police consider the case an active file.

Noreen's disappearance is the subject of much discussion and speculation on an online website dedicated to missing person files, but the chatter amounts to just that. No contributor has claimed to have an explanation for what happened to the girl.

Ms. Greenley is convinced Noreen was the victim of a crime and that someone knows what happened that night. She recalls a phone call her mother received a couple of years ago: A man mentioned Noreen, stammered that he had something to get off his chest -- and then abruptly hung up.

Ms. Greenley's dad died six years ago. She is enduring her second bout of cancer and is hopeful that this time, her appeal will lead to someone coming forward with the truth about what happened that night in small-town Bowmanville.

The family's not so much interested in retribution as they are in learning what happened to Noreen.

"She was a person -- she was a little girl. She was here," Ms. Greenley said. "We want to find her."

Call the Durham police homicide department at 905-579-1520, extension 5400 or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477.

http://newsdurhamregion.com/news/crime/article/171201

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 09, 2011, 10:36:59 AM »

I've posted Noreen's picture below.

Greenley Family

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 09, 2011, 12:47:45 PM »
Thanks for posting that DebbieC, although its not exactly what i expected when i went to Jim Mitchell, i wanted to place my letter in the paper that i wrote in my own words.  He was supposed to have told me when it came out in the paper.  Well i guess i should be grateful for any help.  So here is the letter that i wanted to appear in the paper.

On September 14,1963 Noreen Anne Greenley went missing from Bowmanville Ontario.  Its been over 48 years and the members of my family refuse to give up our search for answers to what happened to Noreen.  Noreen is a victum of a crime, a victum without a voice.  In this article i am giving Noreen a voice to tell her story.  Hi my name is Noreen Anne Greenley i was born on May 16, 1950, i am a 13 year old grade 7 student, i am told i am a very easy going type of girl who cares deeply for children.  I enjoy cooking, baking, and sewing and i am involved in several activities such as baseball, swimming, ice skating and singing.  My favorite songs to sing are Puff The Magic Dragon and the Lemon Tree Song.  I live in Maple Grove, Ontario, just west of Bowmanville, Ontario.  I live here with my parents Harvey and Nadeen Greenley, my four brothers Gary, Harvey, Rodney and Mark, and my two sisters Joyce and Shelley.  On September 14, 1963 i was out with my best friend and her boyfriend we started off bowling after bowling we walked downtown to the restaurant and then proceeded to my girlfriends house, once at her house she stated she wanted to spend some time alone with her boyfriend so i took the hint and walked the couple of blocks to the bus stop to take it home.  I returned back to my girlfriends house after about 20 minutes and complained that i was cold, so my friend offered me a coat but by the time she returned with it i had left again and walked back to the bus stop, this is where my story ends on September 14,1963 in the town of Bowmanville, Ontario around 11:30 pm i went missing and reportedly did not board the bus.  In the following days police investigated and there were a couple of ground searches by the community of Bowmanville supported by family and friends but nothing turned up.  Please help find out what happened to me, my life mattered, i am just a little girl, i could have been your daughter or sister, help put me to rest!  Noreen is a victum but my family are also victums of this crime.  The pain of having a missing child is unbearable.  Help heal the scars this has put on my family and give us some closure on this part of our lives.  If you have any information about this case, whether you think it is significant or not, it just might be!  You can post on this site or call Durham Regional Police at 905-579-1520 ex 5400 or call crime stoppers at 1-800-222-8477.

amIam

« Reply #73 on: February 09, 2011, 01:31:13 PM »
I read this thread from time to time and it has always stuck in my mind that Noreen, went back to her friend's home for a coat as she waited for the bus..it was a cold night.  The coat was offered buy she left without it.
Now I may be in need of an adjustment of sorts and please feel free ( anyone) to bring me up to further speed..but whom offered the coat and at what time, if any was the offer of the coat abandoned?

jobo

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 09, 2011, 01:52:42 PM »
That fact about the coat bothers me too, amIam, but if you go back to Reply #26 and #27, we did discuss it.   All we can do is speculate, but I am not so sure I am satisfied.  ;)