Welcome to UnsolvedCanada.ca

This forum lists unsolved murders and missing people from Canada and other related discussions. If you wish to add a case, please create an account and add it, or send the information using the 'Contact' link on the top menu. Please Read The Rules Here.

Question:

Why are many people unwilling to provide tips to police that could solve a murder?

Author Topic: Noreen Greenley - 13 - Missing - September 14, 1963 - Bowmanville, ON  (Read 45506 times)

Shwa

• View Profile
Durham Regional Police must be updated their site, because this case is new to me.  I don't recall seeing it on their site before.

http://www.drps.ca/internet_explorer/whatsnew/missingperson_view.asp?ID=123

Noreen Greenley (DOB: 16 May 1950) was 13 years old when she went missing in September 1963 in the Town of Bowmanville. The Bowmanville Police Department investigated Noreenís disappearance, and an extensive ground search was organized, but neither Noreen nor her remains were ever located. In 2003, the Durham Regional Police Homicide Unit revisited the disappearance of Noreen, and local media highlighted how her disappearance was a mystery. No information or Crimestoppers Tips were received by the investigators. Today, the Noreen Greenley Missing Person File remains open and unresolved for her family.

Contact Information:
If you have any information regarding this missing person please contact the Durham Regional Police Homicide Unit at (toll free) 1-888-579-1520 Ext #5400, or Crimestoppers at 905-436-TIPS or 1-800-222-TIPS.

Shwa

• View Profile
Re: Noreen Greenley - 13 - Missing - September 14, 1963 - Bowmanville, ON
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2010, 12:38:20 PM »
A posting from Noreen's niece from this site:

http://www.tvtalkshows.com/board/showthread.php?t=129379

From Kelly Greenley:
It was Saturday September 14th 1963, that the Bowmanville teen vanished and despite the efforts of police and the community, Noreen Greenley was never found. The members of my family have refused to give up their search for answers about Noreen. Bonnie Wilkins was Noreens best friend and was the last one to see the 13 year old Noreen. Bonnie recalls that night. "We were at the Liberty Bowl on Baseline Rd in Bowmanville that night with my new boyfriend Gary Woolner. Noreen and I bowled for a while and then we walked through town. We stopped at a restaurant and then went over to my house on Hwy #2.
My parents were out for the evening. I wanted to spend some time with my boyfriend" Around 11 pm. Noreen walked the 20 minutes or so over to the North side of Hwy 2. She stood under the streetlight waiting for the Burley Bus. After about 10 minutes she returned to the Wilkins house complaining that is was cold and that the bus had not arrived. Bonnie offered her a coat but Noreen refused it and went back outside to wait for the bus which went down Hwy #2 every hour or so. That was the last time Bonnie saw her friend. At 3 am Noreens father Harvey reported his daughter missing to the Bowmanville Police. The bus driver Ivan Bulmer was interviewed and he confirmed that he did not pick anyone up at the intersection when the bus passed through shortly after 11:30 pm. As the days passed a number of large search parties were organized. On September 17th almost 400 people took part in the search. Neighbours, friends, family and even the entire sift from the Goodyear Plant in Bowmanville participated, helping to search the entire area north of Hwy 401 to the Third Concession of Darlington, including the entire town of Bowmanville and the area between Martin Road and Maple Grove Road. Noreen Greenley has vanished into thin air. Noreen was born May 16 1950 she was a very neat girl who had great interest in learning. She loved to cook, bake, and sew. She loved children and was very easy going. She liked swimming, ice skating, baseball, and she liked to sing. Mark Greenley one of Noreens four brothers, said his sisters disappearance had a effect on the whole family. " We are all victims, one way or another. Its not even about arresting any anymore. If we could give the guy amnesty, we would. We just want to find where she is and properly put her to rest." Noreen Anne Greenley is my Aunt and I hope this letter catches your attention! This is a complete mystery to me! My family has struggled with this mystery for over 45 years. Please Montel! and Silvia! can you help put this mystery to rest!

This is the link to the websleuths thread:  http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84810
« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 12:40:21 PM by Shwa »

Shwa

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2010, 12:50:13 PM »
Story from the newsdurhamregion.com site from June 4th, 2005:

http://newsdurhamregion.com/article/32284

'Mom, I'll never stop searching for Noreen'
Bowmanville girl disappeared more than 40 years ago
Jun 04, 2005 - 12:00 AM

By Myno Van Dyke

BOWMANVILLE - Joyce Greenley remembers the day her older sister Noreen disappeared.

"I was 10 at the time. I remember getting on a bus and then going to look for Noreen with the other people. We walked through the woods, people brought us food. They were very good to us," she said.

It was Saturday, Sept. 14, 1963, that the Bowmanville teen vanished and, despite the efforts of police and the community, Noreen Greenley was never found. Members of her family, though, have refused to give up their search for answers.

"Mom would always set a place at the dinner table for Noreen. Every year we would celebrate Noreen's birthday. I promised my mom on her death bed in 1992, 'Mom, I'll never ever stop searching for Noreen.'"

Bonnie Wilkins, whose family had once owned a farm neighbouring the Greenleys' on Waverley Road just south of King Street was Noreen's best friend, and the last person to see the 13-year-old on the night she disappeared.

"We were at the Liberty Bowl on Baseline Road in Bowmanville that night," Bonnie Wilkins recalled. "My new boyfriend, Gary Woolner (now her husband), Noreen and I bowled for a while and then we walked through town. We stopped at a restaurant and then went over to my house at Hwy. 2 and Waverley. My parents were out for the evening. I wanted Noreen to go home so I could spend some time with my boyfriend."

Around 11 p.m., Noreen walked the 20 metres or so over to the north side of Hwy. 2. She stood under the streetlight, waiting for the Burley bus. After about 10 minutes, she returned to the Wilkins house complaining that it was cold and that the bus had not arrived. Bonnie offered her a coat but Noreen refused it and went back outside to wait for the bus, which went down Hwy. 2 every hour or so. That was the last time Bonnie saw her best friend.

"She was just a little girl," Bonnie added. "She was not into boys, she was more into baseball. She might have hitch-hiked, because we had hitch-hiked together once. She would never run away. She loved her little brothers and sisters. She was a mother to them and looked after all their needs."

At 3 a.m., Noreen's father, Harvey, reported his daughter missing to the Bowmanville Police Department. Constables John Bird and Les Ricard took the report. The bus driver, Ivan Bulmer, was interviewed and he confirmed that he did not pick anyone up at the intersection when the bus passed through shortly after 11:30 p.m.

As the days passed, a number of large search parties were organized to try to find the missing teen. On Sept. 17, almost 400 people took part in the search. Many were from Mr. Greenley's place of work, Duplate of Canada in Oshawa. Duplate sent its own large trucks over to Bowmanville to transport the volunteers. Neighbours, friends, family and even an entire shift from the Goodyear Plant in Bowmanville participated, helping to search the entire area north of Hwy. 401 to the Third Concession of Darlington, including the entire Town of Bowmanville and the area between Martin Road and Maple Grove. Bowmanville Police sent out a Missing Person poster with a reward of $1,000 for information. Nothing. Noreen Anne Greenley had vanished into thin air.

Noreen was born May 16, 1950. The original Missing Person Report indicates she was a very neat girl who had a great interest in learning. She loved to cook, bake and sew. She loved children and was very easy-going. She liked swimming, ice-skating and baseball. She liked to sing and her favourite songs were "Puff the Magic Dragon" and "Lemon Tree."

Mark Greenley, one of Noreen's four brothers, said his sister's disappearance had a devastating effect on the whole family.

".... We are all victims, one way or another. It's not even about arresting anyone anymore. If we could give the guy amnesty, we would. We just want to find where she is and properly put her to rest."

The officer who is now assigned to the case is Durham Regional Police Detective Chuck Nash, who was himself raised in Bowmanville.

"I remember this case when I was growing up. My Dad would tell me about it every time we drove by the intersection of Waverley and Hwy. 2," he said.

The small file folder that once contained evidence related to Noreen's case has now grown to two banker's boxes full of documents.

"These boxes are not in a basement collecting dust," Det. Nash said. "They are at my feet, under my desk, and every time I get an opportunity, I go through it."

Anyone with any information pertaining to the disappearance of Noreen Anne Greenley, can contact Det. Nash at 905-579-1520 ext. 5402 or call Durham Region Crime Stoppers at 905-436-8477.

Myno Van Dyke is a retired Durham Regional Police officer, who spent some of his policing career working in Bowmanville.

Chris

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2010, 11:24:39 PM »
Things must be different now. Highway 2 and waverly do not appear to intersect and it looks like a train track also would be at the junction.

There is a 95% chance one of those 3 names in the article is the killer based on stats. But being this was 1963, I am sure highway 2 and those train tracks were very busy and it is probable she met foul play with a complete stranger. Those young people did not drive in all likelyhood and the bus driver either had other passengers or he would have had a reason to make the police focus on him more... which it appears they did not.

was highway 416 even built then? If not, highway 2 must have been really really busy.

Shwa

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2010, 06:46:04 AM »
Things were much different back in those days.  Most of Hwy #2 is fairly new in that section, although Waverly does intersect with 'Old Highway No. 2" on the Google map.  The housing developments south on Waverly are all within the past 30-40 years I think so it would have been open farmland.  In 1963 Bowmanville would have been a small rural town.  I think the 401 was in between Oshawa and Bowmanville by 1963, but that is a wee bit before my time.

What I would like to know is what was her destination and how far away was it from that area?
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 06:47:36 AM by Shwa »

shwatoo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2010, 04:09:22 PM »
Hi shwa. 
  Although i was a young teen at the time i do remember her disappearence. Alot of the public were asked to help in the search and my father and his friend went out to help.
If you want , i know of someone that knew her way back then and mentioned to me a few details that im not sure was made public about her destenations that night. That was a few yrs. ago when i spoke to him
but i could try and find him .

old.geezer

• View Profile
I vaguely recall this case being reopened a few years ago. I knew none of the details though. I was talking to my sister-in-law, who considers herself to be "somewhat psychic" as the girl on Frasier put it. She's not a fortune teller or anything like that, but she does do "readings" for people and helps them with answers. She told me of a recent call from a customer that wanted to discuss this case. My sister-in-law then proceeded to rattle off details, even though she had never heard of the case. She correctly "guessed" the friends name (Connie or Bonnie), the facts about bowling and that the friend wanted to spend time alone with her boyfriend, the two trips to the bus stop, and she had pictures in her mind of two small towns that now comprise one large town. She spoke of railroad tracks that probably separated the towns, and the bus driver's claim that nobody got on at that stop. She claims the driver is mistaken. She also claims Noreen's remains are located somewhere along the tracks, near two trees that are of different species, but appear to be growing from the same spot. She is buried deep.

My sister-in-law is not a crackpot. She scares me sometimes with the things she predicts, or tells us about others.

jobo

• View Profile
I don't know if you are familiar with the area or not, but I google mapped it to check it out, and it is interesting that it is an area such as your sister-in-law describes. 
If Noreen left her friend's house at Waverly Rd and Hwy #2...there is an 'Old Hwy 2'  and King St. which is also Hwy #2 or The King's Hwy.....(believe it or not)...anyways Waverly ends at Old Hwy 2, so it is presumed that Noreen would have to walk up to King St. (King's Hwy)  to catch the bus.  Waverly ends in a residential area.
But, there is railroad tracks that are just north of Old Hwy 2 and they run under King St (King's Hwy)....in other words, very close to that neighbourhood. (Just north of it) 
I am not too sure which towns down that way combined, when Ontario made it mandatory for towns to almalgamate, but Bowmanville and Clarington come to mind.  I believe they almalgamated....does anyone else know that for sure??
Back in those days it would have been a much quieter area than it is today....Many people live there, and commute to work, nowadays.
It would have been way more desolate back then. 

old.geezer

• View Profile
Thanks for the information. I followed your lead and checked the area on Google maps. I have friends in Courtice, which appears to be about 5 miles from there. Maybe it's time I visited them. I'll be seeing my sister-in-law at the end of August. She's in the Haliburton area, so we don't get together too often. One other thing I forgot she mentioned, and I've seen nothing about this on the internet sites I've visited. She said there was a trailer park in the area, and investigators should have concentrated on (I think I got this right) a white trailer with a green stripe (or maybe gold stripe - I don't call myself old geezer for nothing). She also described what Noreen looked like. I'll probably take a photo with me to see how close her "vision" is.

Greenley Family

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2010, 06:33:32 PM »
My sister just come across this site.  Noreen was my Aunt and i wrote the letter on here, i didn't realize it was moved to this site and people were replying to it.  I would really appreciate some more information if you have any more info with the sister in-law (old.geezer).  My family would love some closer,the information you wrote is the most we have ever received.  My sister and i actually scouted out the area a little bit.  My family has been through alot in their lives.  My father Harvey passed away in 2004 at the age of 54 and i myself am facing Breast Cancer and realize how precious life is and want to have closer for my family with finding Noreen while i am still alive.

Concerned

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2010, 07:12:28 PM »
Welcome to the site, Greenley Family.  I am very sorry to hear about your breast cancer. I hope with all the medical advances, you will soon return to a healthy state.  I hope you find the answers you are looking for.

May I suggest, that you can go to the top of your screen under "My Messages" and send old.geezer a message to old.geezer. When people sign into the site they usually post an email. There is a chance by you sending your message, if old.geezer's email is still active, they will receive the message and may be aware to sign back onto this site to reply to your request.   

I wish you much luck.

Woodland

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2010, 07:57:34 PM »
If it's alright, I have many questions as none of what I read adds up or makes sense to me.

If Noreen was 13, how old was her friend Bonnie Wilkins, who wanted to spend time with the new boyfriend Gary Woolner after 11:00 pm at her parents house?  In 1963.
If Bonnie's parents were still out for the evening, what time did Bonnie think they were coming home?
What time did LE determine Bonnie's parents actually arrived home that night?  Was Gary still there?
Bonnie wasn't worried mom and dad would arrive home to find GW there late at night?

Noreen left at 11:00 pm to catch a bus and returned after 10 minutes complaining it was cold, but refused the offer of a coat?  Knowing her friend Bonnie was looking forward to some alone time with Gary?
If Noreen was waiting for the bus at 11:00 pm and it passed by at 11:30 pm, then Noreen didn't know what time the bus would pass by when she went out.  Why come back then after ten minutes and risk missing it?  A 13 year-old in 1963 was a heck of alot smarter then 13 year-olds in the last 15 + years.

When did Bonnie and Gary get married?

Wonder what happened to old.geezer?

Based on what I've read here so far, I don't think Noreen was at Bonnie's house that night at 11:00 pm.  Jmo.

Woodland

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2010, 03:11:38 PM »
I looked up some media reports today on Noreen from 1963.  I must say Noreen's parents organized some impressive searches at the time - it was not Durham Police that did this.

Since I am unable to copy from the archives I am reading, I will post highlights and dates.

Noreen first appeared in the Toronto Star as a missing person on 16 September 1963 Page 28 - 2 days following her disappearance.

18 Sept '63 Page 40 - 70 factory workers that worked with Noreen's father and 2 planes (1 piloted by Noreen's uncle) searched for her.  Noreen's mother is quoted that she left 2 doors open that night and that Noreen had never disappeared before.

19 Sept '63 Page 22 - 400 volunteers and 2 planes searched for Noreen.  Her mother gave a heartfelt plea for her daughter's return.

20 Sept '63 Page 1 - 3,000 searchers expected for the following day that had a military precision to it.  This is the first time Noreen was out bowling with a girl friend appears.  No mention of the friends boyfriend.

23 Sept '63 Page 20 -  1,000 searchers showed up and 25 miles were covered with the help of 5 planes and a helicopter.  2 bloodhounds 'followed a trail' from the scent of a shoe from the bus stop to the edge of Highway 2, nine days after the fact.

24 Sept '63 Page 46 - search drops off, but is continued by her father and a few friends.

Noreen does not turn up in an article for 10 years after that.

Greenley Family

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2010, 10:47:49 AM »
Thanks for that information, i didn't know about those reports.  its too bad though that they waited so long to do the searches because it was days after which gave great opportunity for the persons involved to get rid of her and evidence.  I have found that the police have not been helpful at all in this case it has been the community and the family doing all the work and we have limited resources but i am going all out with this and i am going to be researching the information i have received on this site..like the trailer park, the railroad, highway #2, and the people questioned by the police and i won't give up

Woodland

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2010, 11:16:30 AM »
I wish your family all the best in your quest.

A garden of tears: the murder of Kathryn-Mary Herbert

A casefile of events and story related to the 1975 murder of Kathryn Mary Herbert (Sutton).

Click Here