Author Topic: Stephanie Stewart | Missing | Hinton AB (August 2006)  (Read 136736 times)

capeheart

• View Profile
Re: Stephanie Stewart | Missing | Hinton AB (August 2006)
« Reply #375 on: February 03, 2016, 07:01:28 PM »
feather, thanks for the updates and it gives us more information about the building that she was residing in, not too secure. It is sad that she had to disappear before they updated all of those new rules and securing the buildings and putting in panic buttons for workers. I definitely would say that she was targetted for robbery, I believe they thought she may have had money or something. What really gets me, is why remove her body???? Again, in profiling murders they usually say that, "When a body is removed from the scene of the crime, that the perp is distancing themselves from the crime." So this would mean that it is quite possible the person who committed this crime is living close to that area, maybe within 30 or 40 miles away. Just a thought.

lostlinganer

• Silence, in the face of injustice is complicity wi
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: February 03, 2016, 08:15:01 PM »
again... very good point cape.

feather

• View Profile
« Reply #377 on: February 05, 2016, 08:29:24 PM »
Yes, it's very sad that something like this had to happen before they updated the security.
True, could be someone living very close...one  or more of the local drug addicts possibly?
Like someone said here earlier, she could have been sexual assaulted, murdered and taken away in the missing bedding & then ???
Doesn't look good at this point.
Wouldn't it be so wonderful to find every single missing person!
Sending love to the family. RIP Stephanie

Nish

• I can't get PTSD, I'm a carrier.
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: February 06, 2016, 11:27:31 AM »
I always have a hard time reading anything in this thread. I have the same complaints as before and think some posts deserve to be deleted for this reason. I thought it apt to renew this protest and will say no more about that for now.

Since I last posted in this thread, I have spent even more time in the woods, on the water, or riding down the snow - and I always think of Stephanie when I am doing these things. I was talking about my visits with Stephanie to an old hiking buddy just the other day and, of all places he and I just missed one another, her tower is added to the list. He and I probably passed each other as he drove away and I drove in to start my hike. He got the same treatment when he stopped at the tower to say hello.

Thinking further on her effect on me - I started a tradition after meeting her: I carry tea in my pack. I normally do not drink tea, but will enjoy a cup if offered, like she did for me. I carry it to offer to others whom I might meet on the trail and it's come in very handy over the years.

It's also done legitimate work to help warm near hypothermic ladies who'd gotten lost a couple of years ago on the Cape Chignecto trail. Long story short, they ended up in our campsite after dark because they'd gone for a short hike and then become lost. Neither were dressed for the conditions and were quite cold. The first thing I did was fire up my stove and get water on the boil for the tea, and it was very well received.

That's a little helping hand from a spirit. I am a firm believer that Jesus is just a Spanish boy's name, and the same can be said for anything remotely organized and religion, but I do believe in the spirit of a person, and in the soul.

I started off the post feeling sad and now I am happy to have helped two strangers, the means which were inspired by a very kind soul.

Nish
« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 11:38:23 AM by Nish »

feather

• View Profile
« Reply #379 on: February 06, 2016, 05:21:21 PM »
Nish,
Iit's so nice to hear from someone who knew Stephanie. You're kindness to her and people along the trail show me the caring person you are.
I love your new tradition since meeting Stephanie. Way to go! I'm so sorry this happened to this sweet & lovely woman and your friend.
I joined this group in 2007 because my sister was missing. She was found thankfully, but is missing again.
I started posting just recently with debbiec as my coach.
If I am the one who has said something inappropriate, please let me know. I mean no harm to anyone and am only here for the good.
I apologize if I have offended you in any way.

Nish

• View Profile
« Reply #380 on: February 07, 2016, 01:57:32 PM »
Nish,
Iit's so nice to hear from someone who knew Stephanie. You're kindness to her and people along the trail show me the caring person you are.
I love your new tradition since meeting Stephanie. Way to go! I'm so sorry this happened to this sweet & lovely woman and your friend.
I joined this group in 2007 because my sister was missing. She was found thankfully, but is missing again.
I started posting just recently with debbiec as my coach.
If I am the one who has said something inappropriate, please let me know. I mean no harm to anyone and am only here for the good.
I apologize if I have offended you in any way.

Hi Feather,

Thanks for that. I do try to shine, even if others just see rust and crust ;)

I should be crystal clear: I would never have considered Stephanie a friend. Just someone I happened to bump in to, and whom I took something away from in how I do things. I am fairly unoriginal when it comes to my ideas vis a vis the trail, and so I have loads of things I do that I learned from someone, somewhere. I can't claim to have know her at all, save for a few moments on a sunny day a number of years ago. If I had have bumped into her in town or anywhere other than the tower, really, I likely would not recall this.

I don't have a beef with what you posted.

Nish

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: August 25, 2016, 10:02:51 AM »
Ten years later: Disappearance of senior at Alberta fire lookout still a mystery
'There's someone out there who knows'

By Chris Purdy, The Canadian Press, CBC News  Posted: Aug 25, 2016 8:09 AM MT| Last Updated: Aug 25, 2016 8:46 AM MT

It's been a decade since 70-year-old Stephanie Stewart vanished while working alone at a wildfire lookout in dense mountain forest in northwestern Alberta.

RCMP determined the healthy and adventurous senior, an experienced fire spotter who spent many summers living in the bush, was most probably a homicide victim.

Spokesman Cpl. Hal Turnbull says tips continue to come in about the case, but there have been no arrests.

Her body has never been found.

"It's a very puzzling thing," Turnbull says.

"We're moving forward the best we can on what we have. Some cases are more difficult than others. And this is just a very difficult case."

The search for a killer

It was a sunny Saturday morning on Aug. 26, 2006, when Stewart was reported missing.

The woman, who had spent the last dozen summers working at a lookout near Hinton, had last talked with a family member the night before. When she failed to make her scheduled radio check-in for work that morning, another fire spotter was sent to her lookout to see if she was OK.

She was gone.

A pot of water had been left boiling on the stove and her truck was still parked outside.

Some items were missing from her cabin: two pillows with blue covers, a burgundy bed sheet, a Navajo-patterned duvet and a gold watch.

Turnbull says forensic evidence and other information gathered during the early days of the investigation led officers to rule out that Stewart was attacked by a animal, died in an accident or suffered a medical episode that caused her to wander away.

They concluded she was killed by someone.

Marc Symbaluk, a volunteer with Hinton Search and Rescue, managed the initial search for Stewart. It was one of the largest undertaken in the province, he says, and the group remains ready to help investigators if it gets the call.

"Stephanie has a special place in my heart," says Symbaluk, who adds that from the back deck of his home he can see the lookout tower where Stewart worked.

He thinks of her often, he says.

Stephanie's legacy http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/ten-years-later-disappearance-of-senior-at-alberta-fire-lookout-still-a-mystery-1.3735252

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #382 on: August 25, 2017, 09:54:52 AM »
Nish, so nice to hear that you knew Stephanie. She kind of sounds just like I imagined her in my mind. It's like when you're reading a book, you have a picture in your mind of how the person looks and their personality. She sounds like she liked her cups of tea. She sounds like the people in our area, you always say to someone when they come in, especially in winter, "do you want a cup of tea", most times it's yes. And even now, I say the same thing, tea or coffee.  It is such a sad thing to not know where she is, especially for her family. Not to be able to lay her to rest. I do hope there is some kind of a memorial in her honor, just to lay some flowers and say a prayer. It is now 11 years, a long time. Once again, nice to hear from someone who knew her.  :o :o :o :o :o :o

lostlinganer

• View Profile
« Reply #383 on: August 25, 2017, 10:21:02 AM »
I was wondering (not being from that side of the country) if any forest fires have occurred in the area she went missing -- since she went missing.  I have also wondered the same about where the McCanns could have been disposed of?  if any of the suspicious areas have burned since. (like where Vader was held up in the woods for days).  Fires have ways of uncovering things.

Sap1

• View Profile
« Reply #384 on: August 25, 2017, 02:00:24 PM »
There haven't been any forest fires to my knowledge in either area, Lost. Last years out of control fires were quite a bit more north and north- east.

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: August 26, 2017, 01:29:19 PM »
Note missing items;
Quote:
Some items were missing from her cabin: two pillows with blue covers, a burgundy bed sheet, a Navajo-patterned duvet and a gold watch.

It strikes me that the bedding and watch, are such childish things to take from the cabin.
Yes, the bedding might have been used to remove her, and in that case another vehicle would have been used. What about cash?  Her bank cards? A question here, was any food taken?
Not that anyone investigating would be able to tell?

There was a case here in Alberta where a father was stabbed to death in his own home, a B&E, the 3 yr old roughed up, and a white purse was missing. He opened up and drank from a can of pop in the home as well.

Turned out to be a runaway youth in a stolen truck from SK.

It seems to point more towards youth,or youths,  with a drug issue.
And drugs were an issue in that area at that time. 

Apart from the watch, nothing of value - and the watch may not be worth that much either.
Funny that the truck wasn't stolen.
Youth do not think clearly when high, everything is helter skelter...
and this to me, says that the person(s) were not rational at the time.

If she was hidden in her bedding - why take TWO PILLOWS?
Not rational thinking ------ It is the two pillows missing that bothers me.
Needed the pillows for themselves? Grabbing the watch for quick cash?

Possibly  runaway youths, high on drugs?

jb
« Last Edit: August 26, 2017, 04:21:14 PM by jellybean »

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #386 on: September 04, 2017, 03:27:09 PM »
It has always boggled my mind why Stephanie's body was removed from the scene. I find it odd that they would take the time to remove her from the home. It is unusual that they were so unafraid of being caught. It is almost like they knew the setting, they knew nobody would be around and they would have lots of time to do their removal of her remains. I think the pillows and quilt and all were removed to hide her body in a vehicle, be it a truck or car. If it was in the back of a truck, they would have the pillows and quilts over her and there would be no suspicion, if they were stopped. The police would just see quilts and pillows and not even suspect that a body was in the vehicle. This would be a great way to hide her remains. It has to be very upsetting for the people who worked with her and knew her. Hoping always they find out who committed this senseless crime. :o :o :o :o :o :o

Nish

• View Profile
« Reply #387 on: September 19, 2017, 03:32:30 PM »
I'm sad this time of year for a few reasons, this one included.

Nish

lostlinganer

• View Profile
« Reply #388 on: September 19, 2017, 07:16:44 PM »
echo that Nish.... and Cape really made a good point/scenario regarding moving Stephanie's body;  gotta wonder if this could trigger a memory from that particular time, to anyone who had been in the area.  I hope this comment gets shared by those reading here, and still searching and talking about the disappearance.  ;)   Did anybody in the area at the time, notice a pile of what appeared to be pillows and blankets etc. in the back of a truck, SUV, or car?

D1

• View Profile
« Reply #389 on: August 23, 2018, 03:42:52 PM »
Finally some action ...
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/stephanie-stewart-search-hinton-historical-homicide-1.4796316

Cases never close

Historical homicides are never closed in their entirety and new evidence at any point can move them forward, Warren said.

"There's no real set guideline as to the frequency or amount of searches that should be done in a period of time," he said.

"When an opportunity presents itself to search for new evidence, the investigation will continue and our members will take the resources that they can in order to bring a resolution to the case."

A catalyst is not necessarily needed to trigger a search effort, but "timing and resourcing, obviously, is a big part of many active investigations," Warren said.