Author Topic: Theresa Ann Gregory - PEI - Missing - 1982  (Read 19187 times)

Sleuth

Theresa Ann Gregory - PEI - Missing - 1982
« on: November 22, 2009, 10:47:52 PM »
Since Theresa Ann Gregory disappeared from her home in PEI, and there is no thread for PEI, I will put this missing Bangor woman here.

Husband 'only suspect' in '80s disappearance

November 19, 2009 7:57 AM

Theresa Ann Gregory, who disappeared from her P.E.I. home in 1982, was probably killed by her husband, P.E.I. RCMP now acknowledge.

No one has seen Gregory since she disappeared from her home in Bangor, northeast of Charlottetown, in June of that year. Police called for people to come forward with information about the disappearance this week, and her family hopes to find her remains so that they can give her a proper burial.

"We have nothing to go on," RCMP Sgt. Denis Morin told CBC News on Wednesday.

"She just disappeared on that day."

For years police treated it as a missing person case. In a 1992 documentary by The Fifth Estate, RCMP said they believed Gregory drove away from her house that day and didn't return.

"There was several sightings everywhere on Mrs. Gregory; that threw us off the lead," said Morin.

"We pursued those leads one by one. Each time we ran into a dead end."

Officially it's still a missing person case because no body has been found. But both police and Gregory's family now believe she is dead. RCMP acknowledge that it is probable she was killed by her husband.

"If we happen to find the body of Ann Gregory, I think we can say that Kenny Gregory would have been the main suspect in this case, and the only suspect," Morin said.

Kenny Gregory had a reputation of drinking and violence against Ann Gregory. Police tried to get him to take a polygraph test, but it never panned out. Gregory killed himself in 1992, taking whatever secrets he'd kept about his wife to his grave.

There are five hectares of swamp and woods near the Gregory home. Police searched the area with a dog and ground-penetrating radar, but found only the remains of a small animal.

Morin said RCMP have checked into plenty of rumours over the years. What they are hoping for now is concrete leads into what happened, information people may have been too afraid to reveal before.

"There was a lot of people afraid of him at that time. He seemed to have a temper, and a drinking problem, too," he said.

People with information are being asked to call RCMP or Crimestoppers. The family says they're not so much interested in finding out who's responsible as in finding her remains, so they can put both her and this piece of their family history to rest.

http://news.ca.msn.com/canada/cbc-article.aspx?cp-documentid=22657994

lostlinganer

• Silence, in the face of injustice is complicity wi
    • View Profile
Re: Theresa Ann Gregory - PEI - Missing - 1982
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2009, 06:50:32 AM »
I hope they keep making an effort to find her.  She deserves to be found.  Maybe in the spring, these family and friends will take another look at all that swamp area.
RIP

Sleuth

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2009, 11:55:14 PM »
Kudos to the people who made the moral and right decision to phone in with information they had!  :) :) :) :) :)
Any information, even if it seems insignificant, can turn a case around in the blink of an eye, so people keep those tips coming in!!!!  :) :)

Police get new tips in 1982 disappearance
2 hours, 43 minutes ago

PRINCE.EDWARD.ISLAND (CBC) - RCMP say they have received 11 new tips related to the Theresa Ann Gregory case in the last three weeks.
ADVERTISEMENT

The Bangor, P.E.I., woman disappeared from her home in June 1982. Police have said they believe she is dead and that it is probable she was killed by her husband, who committed suicide 10 years after she was last seen.

Last month, RCMP called for people to come forward with information about Gregory's disappearance, with the hope that her body could be found and given a proper burial by her family.

Sgt. Denis Morin said three of the 11 tips came to Crime Stoppers while eight went directly to the Montague RCMP.

He refused to give details about the tips.

"Obviously it is a case that dates back to 1982, so only a few people will be in the know of exactly what happened back then," he said. "Any new information that can be brought to us that maybe was never disclosed before is very welcome."

Morin added that old information can be helpful because there are new investigators looking at Gregory's file and they have new tools at their disposal, such as DNA testing.

"If it can be investigated maybe now in a different light with today's skills that we have and techniques we can use that's something that we can add to the file now."

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/cbc/091209/canada/canada_pei_pei_gregory_tips584

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2009, 09:34:50 PM »
I just want to know why these cases take so long to be solved. The husband is a violent person and everyone in the family knew it. This case should have been solved long ago. How many more have to die and so many get away with murder. Of course he is not going to own up to it, even if he is a suspect. Things have to be done to keep these people under some kind of a surveillance after someone goes missing. Surely they are going to do something that will give them away. Hopefully now people will come forward to Crime Stoppers or somewhere and try to find Theresa's remains.  8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

lostlinganer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2009, 09:57:54 AM »
Maybe the investigators need to go back and make a list of the people Geoge Gregory would have been associated with in any way (work, business, drinking, et..... espcially any with a violent streak, like himself.  If he talked at all, it could have been to anyone (like himself) he was around for 10 years. 

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2009, 05:10:35 PM »
For sure they should be talking to the people he was associating with. What always happens in these cases I believe is, "they are not good at checking alibis". I believe that some officers think the other checked it out and sometimes they do not even go to talk to the person. It has happened more then once that a person has called the police to speak to them about something they knew and they never checked it out. I sure hope that this time that things move along and they find out what happened to Theresa. ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Sleuth

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2009, 02:01:36 AM »
I gather from this article that the family of Kenny Gregory is boo-hooing that Kenny Gregory's name is taken in vain (I wonder if Theresa Ann's family feel the same way?). If that is so would any of Kenny Gregory's family like to come aboard and explain Kenny's proclivity for drink and abusing his wife? Since he committed suicide he's not able to defend himself so let's hear from some of the family member's.  

Husband not a suspect: RCMP clarification
Last Updated: Monday, December 14, 2009 | 7:54 AM AT
CBC News

The RCMP in P.E.I. have issued a clarification of statements made by Sgt. Denis Morin saying Kenny Gregory was a suspect in the 1982 disappearance of his wife, Theresa Ann Gregory.

Gregory disappeared in 1982 from her home near Morell, and hasn't been seen since. The family, along with police, are asking the public for help with the cold case.

CBC News spoke with Morin in mid-November about the disappearance and the police view of her husband, Kenny Gregory.

"If we happen to find the body of Ann Gregory, I think we can say that Kenny Gregory would have been the main suspect in this case, and the only suspect," said Morin.

Kenny Gregory committed suicide in 1992. He was never arrested or charged in the case of his wife's disappearance.

The RCMP now say Kenny Gregory is not a suspect, but "a person of interest."

The RCMP is apologizing to the family for the "misrepresentation" of Kenny Gregory in the case.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/prince-edward-island/story/2009/12/14/pei-gregory-rcmp-clarification-584.html
« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 02:09:25 AM by Sleuth »

Concerned

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2010, 06:59:56 AM »
Woman praises police efforts to find her missing sisterhttp://www.theguardian.pe.ca/index.cfm?sid=333634&sc=98

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2010, 06:03:06 PM »
I did forget to come on here and indicate about it coming on the news about three weeks ago that the police in PEI were reopening this case as a homicide investigation. And that was really good news for the familiy. It is a long time coming and I hope that they make progress in their investigation of this case. 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

lostlinganer

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2010, 10:30:23 PM »
So let's keep the topic going on this end...help keep the family strong....and the pressure on! >:( ;)

Concerned

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2010, 09:47:40 PM »

rebelgirl

• Reaching Everyone By Exposing Lies
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2012, 11:23:28 PM »
Police tear down home for cold case clues
Last Updated: Tuesday, November 16, 2010 | 10:06 PM AT CBC News
The RCMP are methodically taking apart the former home of Theresa Ann Gregory, who disappeared on P.E.I. in 1982, in hopes of finding her remains or clues to her disappearance.
Gregory, who lived in the Bangor area in eastern P.E.I., has not been seen since June 1982.
"They're actually going through the house in a systematic fashion in the search for Ann Gregory and any evidence in relation to her disappearance," said Sgt. Andrew Blackadar.
"[They're] tearing apart walls; they're tearing apart floorboards, looking for anything that might lead them to Ann Gregory."
Blackadar said there will be nothing left once the search is complete.

"They will be tearing the house down right down to the studs," he said. "Then the house itself will be torn down.

"The site will be excavated. So, at the end of the day, when the RCMP leave here, we can simply say that there is no other evidence left on this site."

Gregory was living with her husband, Kenny Gregory, and their two children when she disappeared at the age of 31. Her family believes she was slain and buried at the house or somewhere nearby.

"It's a sad situation," said her sister, Cheryl Doherty. "As far as the house, I'll be glad to see it gone."

Suitcase, cement found behind wall

Kenny Gregory had a reputation for drunkenness and violence against his wife. He committed suicide in 1992. Police said her husband was a "person of interest" during their investigation.
Last fall, RCMP found dozens of garbage bags buried in a neighbouring field full of what the family confirms were Ann Gregory's clothing and personal items.

In a preliminary walk-through of the house in May, police found an empty suitcase and a bag of cement behind the wall of Gregory's bedroom.

Doherty considers the find very suspicious.

"I think the suitcase was put behind the wall because it was too big to bury," she said.
No one has lived at the house for several years. The most recent owner gave the RCMP permission to conduct their search.

Later this week, police will bring in an excavator to dig up the clay basement and cement sections underground.

"I understand there was a significant amount of cement poured in a basement that's got a clay floor," said Gregory's daughter, Patricia MacKinnon. "Right there, that sends up alarms to me."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/prince-edward-island/story/2010/11/16/pei-gregory-home-cold-case-584.html

rebelgirl

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2012, 11:31:57 PM »

rebelgirl

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2012, 11:37:43 PM »
P.E.I. field search turns up nothing
No clues found, in the disappearance of Theresa Ann Gregory, 28 years ago
Last Updated: Friday, May 21, 2010 | 6:28 PM AT
CBC News
P.E.I. RCMP and forensic experts were back in a Bangor field Friday, looking for clues into the disappearance of Theresa Ann Gregory, 28 years ago.

Crews used a small backhoe to dig up sections of the field, off Bangor Road roughly five kilometres south of Morrell.
Gregory, 31, disappeared in June 1982 from her house about two kilometres from the field.

Her family believe she was killed and buried somewhere nearby.

The areas searched Friday were identified by special radar equipment that scans underground. Those scans showed numerous spots where the earth appeared to be disturbed.

At the edge of the field that was searched, about 60 metres away, is a wooded area where last fall the Gregory family and police dug up dozens of bags of women's clothing. The family said the clothes belonged to Theresa Ann Gregory.

Police said there are other areas they plan to search and other leads to follow.

Gregory's daughter and sister say they haven't finished their own investigations either. Once the police are finished they plan to bring in their own crew to comb other areas.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/prince-edward-island/story/2010/05/21/pei-search-gregory-bangor.html

This was all I could find :(
They done all that work and had all that hope and still no body.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 11:42:05 PM by rebelgirl »

leonagleant

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2012, 10:55:33 PM »
What a sad case. I can't even imagine what it was like being raised by a violent man who could keep a secret about killing the children's mother all those years.