Poll

Should judges be appointed by the government or elected by the people?

BY THE PEOPLE
16 (84.2%)
BY THE GOVERNMENT
3 (15.8%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Author Topic: Judges  (Read 5753 times)

Maureen

• View Profile
Judges
« on: November 12, 2009, 08:09:31 PM »
Post your vote and have your say.

Maureen

• View Profile
Re: Judges
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2009, 08:09:36 PM »
I think if judges have to answer to the people instead of their croonies, they would think twice if their job was in jeopardy when election time came around again. Protecting the criminals has to stop and protecting the innocent has to start. We have to start somewhere, so why not start at the ones that are making the decisions or should I say have the decisions made for them. Thsi could also send a message to our politicians who are quick to fill their pockets after doing favours.

lostlinganer

• Silence, in the face of injustice is complicity wi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2009, 09:28:30 PM »
The controll is just too well put in place; and the absence of public attention to it is apathic, to say the least.
We vote in the politicians to "do what we trust them to do - right!"  They get to their "parliamentary posts" and abracadabra!.... they show up with a title and an "old boy's club agenda".  The job we sent them to do goes out the door as they go in the door.
They set out with the right intenions, no doubt, but when they get to the "big house" and meet the "old boys", they either do what they are told, or "get out real quick" - with the excuse of sickness, or they have had second thoughts on being away from the family that much, or it turns out to take away too much from family life....blah...blah !  The fact is, they get together and appoint judges and others to do "the old boys" bidding.  Did I mention, the "old boys" do the bidding of police services?  .....looks that way to me ....you take care of me and mine, and I'll take care of you and yours.  The public representation is nothing more than a game to see who'll win an election.  I truly believe that once an elected representative gets into office, he then has to become an "old boy".  Granted, many of them fight for those who elected them to "no avail"....there are many good politicians.  But when push comes to shove in matters of police departments and or public officials being corrupt, they tend to go with the flow and do what they are told by the "old boys"....give the police and crown unquestionable control..... blind loyalty.
Therefore; if these judges had to make promises and respond to debates and previous miscarriages of justice and manipulations of laws to suit their friends, at least they would have to "half clean up" their corrupt act~ I say they should have to be elected.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 09:31:43 PM by lostlinganer »

Maureen

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2009, 05:13:11 AM »
Well said lost

lostlinganer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2009, 11:38:40 AM »
Here's an example of what I'm saying about the Nova Scotia "Just Us" System.

For years Mayor John Morgan has been fighting the province of NS - the "old boys club" for Cape Breton Regional Municipality's fair share. ...to the point where he has laid his career on the line in more than one brave move on behalf of the good people of CBRM ....and taken the worst of political abuse from the "old boys" members and their wanna-be friends amid the local councillors.  He has taken it "all the way" on behalf of the good.  His years of effort have led to his attack by fellow "old boys" of the barrister's society (Keep in mind that Mayor Morgan was previously a Lawyer) ...... his refusal to cease and desist in his battle for CBRM much needed fair share of the pot was "so right" and "so brave", it took the combined efforts of the "old boys in government" and the associate "old boys" in the barrister's society - to tackle this one man.....this "first of his kind" in Cape Breton who is "with the people" ... "for the people" - granted he has never seen fit to take a public stand on single grave issues such as the Clayton Miller case ....and now.... the June Hibbs case. http://news.sympatico.cbc.ca/Local/NS/ContentPosting?newsitemid=novascotia-ns-morgan-barristers&feedname=CBC_LOCALNEWS&show=False&number=0&showbyline=True&subtitle=&detect=&abc=abc&date=True
Mayor in trouble for comments about judges

13/11/2009 10:19:50 AM

CBC News
The mayor of the Cape Breton Regional Municipality has been accused of professional misconduct for remarks he made about the Nova Scotia judiciary.

John Morgan, who is also a lawyer, will appear before the Nova Scotia Barristers' Society next week to answer for comments he made to CBC News last year.

Morgan insists he didn't mean to offend anyone and should have the right to speak his mind.

[SIDEBAR]Morgan is accused of breaching the following provisions of Legal Ethics and Professional Conduct: A Handbook for Lawyers in Nova Scotia:

- Failed in his duty to encourage public respect for justice and to uphold and try to improve the administration of justice.

- Failed to discharge his duty, as a lawyer who holds public office, to adhere to standards of conduct as high as those which the Handbook requires of a lawyer engaged in the practice of law.

- Failed to treat the court with courtesy and respect, and failed to uphold and encourage public respect for justice and the administration of justice.[/SIDEBAR]

"Our citizens have the right to have their politicians free to accurately describe the challenges faced by the region," Morgan said Thursday.

In April 2008, after the Nova Scotia Supreme Court rejected the CBRM's lawsuit against the province over equalization payments, Morgan told CBC News that judges in Nova Scotia were "not tree shakers."

He also suggested that most judges have ties to the political process, saying, "They are there because they are, for the most part, part of the establishment."

According to the law society, Morgan failed to treat the court with courtesy and respect, and failed to encourage public respect for justice.

As a lawyer, Morgan must follow certain rules, said Darryl Pink, the society's executive director.

"A lawyer cannot hide behind the fact that he or she is speaking in some other capacity if he breaches the rules that govern all lawyers," Pink said.

Morgan believes he's the first politician in Canada taken to task by a law society for such remarks. He said he meant no disrespect and only wanted to suggest that courts in Nova Scotia are not as active in addressing wrongs as the Supreme Court of Canada.

"I've got great respect for the skills of all of the individuals who are part of the Nova Scotia judiciary. But really, what we're analyzing is not respect for individuals but a process of decision making," Morgan said.

A hearing is scheduled for next Friday in Halifax.

In my opinion:
Although he has proven himself over and over as the best mayor this area has ever had, there are those who oppose him ..... they include a  the main team players from the old corrupt New Waterford Regime, which became incorporated into Sydney and surrounding communities just about the time when there was a very good possibility that the town of New Waterford and its Hazzard County Police Force was on the brink of "going down" for police brutality cases, and corruption/possible murder, in the Miller case) Just think of the implications here! - had the late NS Police Commission's Ed Mac Neil been granted what he worked for - and was promised to him .....the dismantling of the NW Police force - replaced by RCMP - with a prime objective to unveil what had happened to Clayton Miller and the subsequent cover-up.   Guess they figured: (we'll dismantle NW instead- that way, if the Miller's happen to get enough public support or donations to sue, we will be safe in the arms of the other communities....
amalgamation - (meaning of the word with regards to the town of New Waterford):
the dismantling of the town - as opposed to the dismantling of the police force, and possible lawsuits worth more than the "town purse" has in it.  survival .... control of the situation!
You can find Ed Mac Neil's personal notes on this in the Clayton Miller thread....I will find the exact reference and post it later....Maureen has even more she could post on this if she sees fit.... (from the actual Ed Mac Neil notes)
Notice how the "old boys" in the "Bar" have a "legal handbook" ::) set of rules for their "brothers" to follow if they expect to play the game with their "mentors" on judicial seats and ultimately on governments seats:  I personally fail to see where any of them respect justice.

- Failed in his duty to encourage public respect for justice and to uphold and try to improve the administration of justice.

- Failed to discharge his duty, as a lawyer who holds public office, to adhere to standards of conduct as high as those which the Handbook requires of a lawyer engaged in the practice of law.

- Failed to treat the court with courtesy and respect, and failed to uphold and encourage public respect for justice and the administration of justice.[/SIDEBAR]

Just imagine folks..... what the rest of "the handbook" must look like.  Probably some guy named "Merlin" that guards the "main book".
« Last Edit: November 14, 2009, 01:37:31 PM by lostlinganer »

lostlinganer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2009, 09:10:43 PM »
 ;D ;)  sleep tight folks...'night and God bless!

lostlinganer

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2009, 12:33:53 PM »
good observation lavender!  It helps when there are eyes in the area.

comicbookgirl2009

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2009, 01:13:21 PM »
I am not trying to stir up trouble but somebody said on this thread before that harold caines was a criminal and still is and you all put ignore and other things.  For some reason his post isn't here but it is showing how biased you all are towwards people who don't support all of your views.

comicbookgirl2009

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2009, 01:17:09 PM »
Harold Caines from Glace Bay has been talking to me and speaking out against the corruption, he did his share of crimes but wants to "clean" up his life! The Regional Police instead of listening to him and protecting him, his home gets shot up and was front page news in the CB Post but they will not print anything to do with the "Hibbs case"?? .

Once again Blair posts something ridiculous thinking the police are out to get everyone.  The police aren't going to protect every criminal who decides to snitch all of a sudden.  As stated H.C is still committing crimes and still doing rotten things,,,, just because he is going to rat on ONE person why should our tax dollars pay for his protection when no body was protected from him over the years?