Author Topic: Mariam Makhniashvili - 17 - Toronto - Found Deceased  (Read 244219 times)

Sleuth

Mariam Makhniashvili - 17 - Toronto - Found Deceased
« on: September 21, 2009, 12:11:49 PM »
Unfortunately, as of yet, there is no picture of this young woman. She has been missing since September 14th, and is a new immigrant along with her family From Georgia, Russia. She speaks little to no English.

Mon Sep 21, 10:28 AM
Toronto police take search for teen to school assemblies

Toronto police will be attending two assemblies at Toronto's Forest Hill Collegiate on Monday, hoping for some new clue to explain the disappearance of 17-year-old Mariam Makhniashvili.
ADVERTISEMENT

The Grade 11 student was last seen by her family on Sept. 14. She walked to school with her brother but never made it to any of her classes.

Police say they hope the assemblies will trigger something to help in their investigation.

"The focus of it all is to reach out to the students and provide them with the photographs that we have to date of Mariam, and get them to turn their minds back to the beginning of the school year, which is when they would have had the opportunity to have met her," said Det. Sgt. Dan Nealon on Sunday.

Mariam's father, Vakhtang Makhniashvili, will also be at the school to talk to the students.

According to investigators there were no surveillance cameras outside the school, the teen did not have a cellphone and was not carrying her passport when she vanished.

All she had with her was her school identification, Nealon said.

Toronto police have now declared they are conducting a Level 3 search the highest level possible.

Mariam moved from the Republic of Georgia to Toronto in June. Police said to the best of their knowledge, she had no friends in the city, and her only relatives in Canada are her parents and her brother.

Appeals for information to help find the teenager, along with the Crime Stoppers telephone number, are posted on Facebook and YouTube.

Police said while there is no evidence of foul play, they were not ruling anything out.

Mariam is described as five-foot-three with light-brown, shoulder-length hair and brown eyes. She was last seen wearing black pants, a light blue shirt and a dark blue jean jacket.

She was carrying a large black backpack with a green stripe.

capeheart

• View Profile
Re: Mariam Makhniashvili - 17 - Toronto - Found Deceased
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2009, 05:15:48 PM »
Mariam may have left on her own. She may have gone back to where they used to live in the USA. It does not sound like she was abducted, unless someone knew her limitless vocabulary in English and duped her into some criminal activity. The police should start looking probably in the area of where they force young women to work as prostitutes. Did she have a secret male person she was seeing or acquainted with??? Who were her father's friends, I know this doesn't sound right, but sometimes an older man might have had designs on her. Also, were there workers or painters or anyone that worked for the family. Just thoughts of where to look for Mariam. A week is a long time not to know where she is. She has no friends there and doesn't know anyone, so obviously she either left on her own or someone took her, it is as simple as that. 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

lostlinganer

• Silence, in the face of injustice is complicity wi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2009, 06:30:06 PM »
I say somebody on the street knows where the pimps lords hide their victimes while they slowly "break their spirit" and inject drugs into them until they own them.  I say police detectives know how to find these missing innocent girls....the first few days/weeks are critical;  it's just a matter of the right detective... doing or not doing....guts or no guts. >:(
Pray this lovely young woman is found.

Shwa

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2009, 05:44:11 AM »
This is weird.

She told her brother that she was going to the entrance that is the busiest in the school right at the time when it was the busiest.  In the assembly yesterday it appears that no one noticed anything out of the ordinary.  It is a fairly small school in a better off neighbourhood so the chances of someone noticing things 'off' would be higher.  No one did.

There was a report on one of the local news stations that her 'adjustment' with re-uniting with her parents after 5 years was not going as good as had been previously reported.  It might be that she found someone in the local community as a friend or boyfriend and said nothing to her parents.  I am not sure how close-knit the Georgian community is in Toronto, but it is possible.

As well, she appears to be a very bright student easily capable of finding her way around and figuring out an escape plan.  I hope that the police are actively communicating with the Georgian police, esp. in the town that her grandparents live in...

lostlinganer

• Silence, in the face of injustice is complicity wi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2009, 02:06:46 PM »
I hope she's simply taking some time out "of her own accord" Shwa.

Shwa

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2009, 07:19:09 PM »
This is weird too: (http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/article/699440)

Missing girl's father was acquitted of sex charge

Sep 22, 2009 08:51 PM
Isabel Teotonio
Staff reporter

The father of a 17-year-old girl, who last week went missing outside of her Toronto school, was acquitted in April by a California court of lewd sexual conduct for allegedly masturbating in front of a child day care centre.

Three charges against Vakhtang Makhniashvili, whose daughter Mariam disappeared outside Forest Hill Collegiate, date back to when he and his wife lived in Los Angeles.

According to court documents filed in the Superior Court of California, Makhniashvili was charged after police were called on the morning of Nov. 21, 2008, following reports of a man seen in his car rubbing his crotch in plain view of children.

Makhniashvili was arrested a block away and charged with two counts of lewd behaviour and one count of wilfully annoying a child. On April 30, he was acquitted of the first two counts, while the last count was dismissed.

Weeks later Makhniashvili and his wife Lela Tabidze moved to Toronto. The couple, who had left the Republic of Georgia five years earlier for Los Angeles, moved to Toronto in May.

Their children, Mariam and George, who had remained in Georgia where they were raised by their grandmother, moved to Toronto in June and were reunited with their parents.

When reached at home this evening for comment, Makhniasvili refused to speak about the charges.

"I don't want to hear about this. Goodbye," he said, before hanging up.

This evening, Toronto police could not be reached for comment about whether they were aware of the charges. But yesterday, investigators said they had been in contact with police agencies outside of Canada to glean more information on the family's history.

Shwa

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2009, 05:37:31 AM »
Whoa!  The guy was acquitted of two of the three charges and the other charge was dropped.  Why on earth would you equate acquittal with "offender??"

The weird thing is that this information was posted to the Star and also Pam Seatle reported on it on CityTV News last night.  How did that information get out?  Was it a reporter doing some digging or did someone in the police department release the info?

Shwa

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2009, 11:52:52 AM »
I am thinking that is the case in order to squeeze the Dad a little and see what happens.  Pam Seatle is one of those notorious ones you refer too as well.

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2009, 09:05:13 PM »
I say go right back to the brother, he knows what has happened with Mariam. She probably has been abused by her father. This came to my mind, even before I got to the post relating to his sex offences. I wonder did she ever leave the apartment to go to school??? If her father was abusing her, she may have had enough and went to the streets and ran away from home. I do hope that Mariam gets a safe haven and gets help from someone before something terrible happens to her, if it already hasn't. Prayers for the safe return of Mariam. Who saw her leaving for school that morning or is it just the brother that says she left with him????

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2009, 08:18:42 PM »
I pray for Mariam's return. But how did a sex offender get immigration status to Canada.I am concerned about Miriam. But I am also very concerned about the Immigration Department that we now have a sex offender in our country. This man should be deported immediatly. Let his family stay here, wife and son, but he should be gone. I would bet you anything that if he tried to get back into the states, they would say, NO, HE HAS A CRIMINAL RECORD, BUT YET THEY LET HIM COME TO CANADA AS A SEX OFFENDER. WAKE UP CANADA, WAKE UP, THIS IS NOT FAIR TO THE CITIZENS OF OUR COUNTRY. He should immediately be deported as being in this country illegally, be it Russia or back to the US. He is here illegally. Prayers for the return of Mariam. ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2009, 05:29:41 PM »
In my feelings, I do not believe that Mariam was on the school grounds at all that day. I believe Mariam went missing the nite before or the early morning hours of that day. This sounds like a home grown crime, something happened at home and I don't think she ever went to school. Did anyone witness Mariam and her brother walking to school together, at any point before they got to the school. She could have come to harm in her own home and it is being covered up. I cannot understand why the father got in the country with a criminal record. He should be sent packing back to Russia, back to where he came from. Prayers for Mariam, once again. ??? ??? ??? ???

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2009, 08:44:18 PM »
The way I see it, five years is a lifetime. There would be a lot of catching up to do. I can't even imagine benig away from anyone for five years and thinking I was just going to walk in and act like I just saw you yesterday morning. This story stinks, that is my opinion. And I don't think Mariam ever left to go to school on that morning. Something happened and the brother knows it. The police and immigration are just lapping up this story like a cat lapping up milk. I sure hope they are onto this con story and get things straight. It just doesn't add up in my eyes. Just hoping in my heart that Mariam is safe. Those are just my opinions and the way I feel. How could anyone disappear with so many people there, it is not likely. ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2009, 11:07:19 PM »
I pray for Mariam's return. But how did a sex offender get immigration status to Canada

My thoughts exactly!

Shwa

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2009, 05:24:09 AM »
Was he a sex offender?  To my knowledge he wasn't.  When they create criminal records of people I believe they only record the convictions, not the charges or acquittals.  Now, I don't know the particulars of the case, but the court acquitted him so he is no sex offender.

However...

It might be that those charges in CA are really the tip of the iceberg when it comes to deviant behaviour which, in private, might have been enough for his young daughter to be creeped out enough to run away.  I still believe she is back in Georgia with friends or relatives that are keeping her presence very quiet.

Hopefully one day this will be resolved with no loss of life.

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2009, 07:54:38 PM »
Well, this is a very interesting clue into where Mariam might be. In her state of mind, looking for someone to look up to and being unsure of her new surroundings, she would be a peach for one of those organizations. They brainwash the young people and that is why they are not allowed to contact their families. This person, if he is in Canada, should be also removed from our country. I mean we have several of our own problems in this country, but why let these individuals get citizenship. It is troubling to think that these are the kinds of people that are slipping into our country. I always thought that if you did enter this country that you had to abide by the laws and that if not, you could be deported. This information related to this religious so called guru, could throw a brilliant light on solving this case. I sure do pray for Mariam's safety, once again.  ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)