Author Topic: Hilary Bonnell, 16 | Missing (Sept. 5, 2009)  (Read 23415 times)

lalablue

• View Profile
Re: Hilary Bonnell, 16 | Missing (Sept. 5, 2009)
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2009, 03:16:33 PM »
I am saddened to hear that Hilary is no longer with us, it is so crucial that when a person goes missing that we start searching asap, within 48hrs so much can be done. My hearts go out to her family and friends.

raisinpie

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2009, 04:45:48 PM »
The below story is copied from the webiste Moncton Forum - Greater Moncton's #1 Online Community.  I don't think the picture of Curtis copied and pasted.  Maybe someone can add the pic.

Once again, this is just horrible!

RIP HILARY!!!! We trust that Creator took your pain as you endured that terrible assault!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Repeat Sex Offender Curtis Bonnell discloses location of Hilary Bonnell's body

2009 11 13
From the CBC News site, plus
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/new-brunswick/story/2009/11/13/nb-hilary-bonnell-1217.html

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/new-brunswick/story/2009/11/13/nb-hilary-bonnell-1217.html

Under questioning by RCMP Officers, known Repeat Sex Offender Curtis Wayne Bonnell, 29, revealed the location of 16 year old Hilary Bonnell's body.

Police had been searching in the former military firing range in Tracadie-Sheila where the body was located.

The remains have been sent for additional testing and identification. An autopsy is scheduled to be performed in Saint John on Saturday.

Evidence discovered at the scene, including some clothing, also suggests the body is Hilary's.

Hilary, 16, was last seen on Sept. 5 walking along Highway 11 in Esgenoopetitj, commonly known as Burnt Church.

RCMP Insp. Roch Fortin  mentioned Hilary's  mother, Pam Fillier, who had given him a traditional "tobacco offering." It was that same day that there was a "major break" in the investigation that allowed police to recover Hilary, said Fortin, showing reporters the small, cloth sachet.

"The RCMP will continue to work diligently to discover what happened to Hilary," Fortin said.

"There's a lot of work still to be done for us to complete this investigation," he said, appealing to anyone with information to contact the RCMP or Crime Stoppers.

"We need to finish what we started. We need to have a successful prosecution.........We need to ensure the individual or individuals [responsible] are not roaming the streets anymore."

Curtis Bonnell , who is a cousin of the missing Hilary, had been released from Prison about 2 years ago after serving 5 years for a previous sexual assault.

He currently is being held in remand for another alleged sexual assault occuring at his residence last Saturday.

That residence and another property were the subject of a massive, intensive search the previous week.

Curtis Wayne Bonnell
photo by Lucas McInnis/Canadaeast News Service

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2009, 05:22:29 PM »
It is just so sad that this man was known to be a sex offender and nobody could save Hilary from him. She was a relative and that makes it all the more horrific. I mean sometimes we think if it is a stranger abduction, it may be more easier to accept. But a family member, it has to be devastating. I send my condolences to her mom and family members. I truly hope that there will be more education and warnings put in place for young aboriginal women and all young people out there. They trust others and think they are having fun because they are around people they know. Parents have to teach their children, call home no matter what time it is and we will come and get you. This man is evil and should get the max penalty. ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

nbgirl

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 23, 2009, 06:50:40 PM »
Unfortunately, Hilary has been found and since layed to rest.  Rest in Peace sweet little girl.

lostlinganer

• Silence, in the face of injustice is complicity wi
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2009, 07:39:58 PM »
guess I'm getting weaker....all the little ones that have gone by through here...you think you've seen it all.... for some reason, this young girl makes me weep for vengence. 

Sleuth

« Reply #35 on: November 24, 2009, 01:06:07 AM »
Here is the article when Curtis Wayne Bonnell was in court on the sexual assault charge against he young 17 year old.
This really makes my heart weep for young Hilary. 'If only' she had texted where she was. I think 'if only' are the two saddest words anyone can say.  :'( :'( :'(

Esgenoopetitj (Burnt Church) First Nation man Curtis Bonnell remanded on sexual assault charges

Friday Nov 13

Canadian Crime News :Sex Offence charges Canadian sex offence charges registry Esgenoopetitj (Burnt Church) First Nation,New Brunswick, Sex Offence charges:sexual assault November 11th, 2009 Adam Huras Telegraph-Journal,Saint John, New Brunswick MIRAMICHI - A 29-year-old Esgenoopetitj First Nation man who was arrested at a home that was the focus of an extensive RCMP search last week was arraigned Tuesday on four charges related to a sexual assault on a 17-year-old girl. Curtis Wayne Bonnell was ushered into court by three RCMP officers, hiding his face in his hat with his chin tucked tightly placed against a grey shirt before he sat down in the prisoner's box.

When provincial court Judge Geri Mahoney asked him to stand up to hear the charges, Bonnell said he couldn't because he was feeling sick.

He then refused to make eye contact with the judge as the charges, including sexual assault, unlawful confinement and resisting arrest, were read.

Mahoney then advised Bonnell to consult with a lawyer before a bail hearing. Bonnell strongly objected and demanded to enter a plea immediately.

"I want to go through to the next step," Bonnell said.

After Mahoney repeated that Bonnell should consult legal counsel, he began to shout profanities at the judge. He was then removed from the courtroom.

Crown prosecutor Bannon Morrissy objected to Bonnell's release.

Bonnell was remanded into custody. He is to return Friday to Miramichi provincial court for a bail hearing.

He's being held in Moncton until then.

Bonnell is the cousin of 16-year-old Hilary Bonnell, who has been missing from the Esgenoopetitj First Nation for more than two months, Hilary's mother has said.

Pamela Fillier has also said that Curtis Bonnell has been living at a First Nation home that police and forensic investigators were combing through for some time last week. The property belongs to Curtis's father Christopher Bonnell, she said.

As part of what the RCMP called a major investigation, police have also searched a property in Tabisuntac that they have said they belongs to the owner as the Esgenoopetitj home.

RCMP Insp. Roch Fortin said Tuesday that charges against Curtis Bonnell are not linked to the Hilary Bonnell investigation.

Fortin confirmed that undisclosed properties throughout the Burnt Church area are still being searched in that case.

Esgenoopetitj First Nation Chief Wilbur Dedam said that the sexual assault charges have added to the unease in the Mi'kmaq community of 1,200 people.

http://www.topix.com/ca/moncton-area-nb/2009/11/esgenoopetitj-burnt-church-first-nation-man-curtis-bonnell-remanded-on-sexual-assault-charges

Sleuth

« Reply #36 on: November 24, 2009, 01:09:03 AM »
Friday Nov 13 |
Repeat Sex Offender Curtis Bonnell discloses location of Hilary Bonnell's body

Canadian Crime News: : Sex Offences / Offenders Canadian Sex Offenders Registry Esgenoopetitj (Burnt Church) First Nation,New Brunswick,Sex Offender:sexual assault 2009 11 13 Under questioning by RCMP Officers, known Repeat Sex Offender Curtis Wayne Bonnell , 29, revealed the location of missing 16 year old Hilary Bonnell's body. Police had been searching in the former military firing range in Tracadie-Sheila where the body was located. The remains have been sent for additional testing and identification. An autopsy is scheduled to be performed in Saint John on Saturday. Evidence discovered at the scene, including some clothing, also suggests the body is Hilary's. Hilary, 16, was last seen on Sept. 5 walking along Highway 11 in Esgenoopetitj, commonly known as Burnt Church. RCMP Insp. Roch Fortin mentioned Hilary's mother, Pam Fillier, who had given him a traditional "tobacco offering." It was that same day that there was a "major break" in the investigation that allowed police to recover Hilary, said Fortin, showing reporters the small, cloth sachet. "The RCMP will continue to work diligently to discover what happened to Hilary," Fortin said. "There's a lot of work still to be done for us to complete this investigation," he said, appealing to anyone with information to contact the RCMP or Crime Stoppers. "We need to finish what we started. We need to have a successful prosecution.........We need to ensure the individual or individuals [responsible] are not roaming the streets anymore." Curtis Bonnell , who is a cousin of the missing Hilary, had been released from Prison about 2 years ago after serving 5 years for a previous sexual assault. He currently is being held in remand for another alleged sexual assault occuring at his residence last Saturday. That residence and another property were the subject of a massive, intensive search the previous week.

http://www.topix.com/who/crime/2009/11/repeat-sex-offender-curtis-bonnell-discloses-location-of-hilary-bonnells-body

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 25, 2009, 08:27:25 PM »
More should have been done to keep the community safe from this sex offender. If the young people knew he was a sexual predator, why in the heck would they be in his company. This is such a tragic event for the family and the community. I truly hope the maximum sentence will be placed on this individual, to keep him away from the young people of that community. 8) 8) 8) 8)

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 09, 2009, 10:27:30 AM »
By The Canadian Press

ESGENOOPETITJ, N.B. - A 29-year-old man has been charged with first-degree murder in the death of a 16-year-old girl that stunned residents of a small New Brunswick native community.

RCMP say they laid the charge Tuesday against Curtis Bonnell in Miramichi provincial court. The body of Hilary Bonnell of Esgenoopetitj First Nation, also known as Burnt Church, was found last month buried in a remote wooded area that's part of a former military training area.

She had been missing since Sept. 5 after attending a house party the night before on the reserve of 1,100, setting off a massive search.

Her last confirmed sighting was recorded on surveillance footage at a convenience store in the community.

Her death stunned the reserve's residents. More than 500 people attended her funeral as her mother, Pamela Fillier, wept over her casket.

Chiefs from First Nations across Atlantic Canada were on hand at the service to show their support, as was the province's lieutenant-governor.

Hilary Bonnell's cause of death has not been released.

Police said they would release more information at a news conference later Wednesday.

Curtis Bonnell is to appear in court at a later date, officers said.

Media reports say he is Hilary Bonnell's cousin.

In a separate matter, he also faces charges related to an alleged sexual assault in November

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 09, 2009, 03:38:05 PM »
A cousin? how sad.

lostlinganer

• Silence, in the face of injustice is complicity wi
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 09, 2009, 04:31:18 PM »
....so many beautiful young people getting murdered because they fail to recognize what lurks around them.... and they are far too trusting, and in the habit of not keeping their guard up.  Will they ever realize this is the reason parents "nag" them about "the people who they shouldn't be around".  God help this family and all Hilary's friends.  I hope this guy gets what's coming to him....it'll never be bad enough, but one can't help but hope.

Sleuth

« Reply #41 on: December 09, 2009, 11:45:16 PM »
This is one of the reasons I feel the Death Penalty should be reinstated. I know it will never happen, but it is on my 'Wish List'. Even if the Government changed 'life' to LIFE, and that, to me, mean's until the last breath taken. 

solvy

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 09, 2009, 11:53:15 PM »

I'll second that Sleuth!!

Sue

« Reply #43 on: December 10, 2009, 06:42:59 PM »
I'm also for the Death Penalty Sleuth !! A life for a life !!

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 20, 2009, 02:03:58 PM »
I also think the death penalty should be reinstated. I think in such cases as in the death of Hilary and Tori's abduction and murder, this sure calls for to reinstate the death sentence. A life for a life. ??? ??? ??? ??? ???