Author Topic: Georgia Jackson - 18 - Murdered - February, 1966 - Aylmer, ON  (Read 69674 times)

chickapey

• View Profile
Re: Georgia Jackson - 18 - Murdered - February, 1966 - Aylmer, ON
« Reply #135 on: July 23, 2015, 10:26:32 AM »
so sad that her marker seems to have sunk and become overgrown. I wish cemeteries would pay more attention to these and have them raised every few years. I do my great parents foot markers every 5 years or so... it just takes a bit of time and some sand. At least, as you said, her father had some kind of closure. Maybe not closure... some answers maybe.. but the why is always there. Thank you for posting this

Sunshine31

• View Profile
« Reply #136 on: July 23, 2015, 03:34:40 PM »
It is not like that anymore chickapey :) It is all nice and clear and visible and also her father George who is laid to rest directly above Georgia and her Mother Virginia is buried directly below Georgia and they are all cleaned up beautifully. Her mother Virginia passed in 1994.

freeman

• View Profile
« Reply #137 on: July 23, 2015, 03:47:25 PM »
John thanks for doing that, it is perfectly symbolic of what all the good people on this site do.

Sunshine31

• View Profile
« Reply #138 on: July 23, 2015, 03:54:58 PM »
I have to explain a little more in depth about the cemetary where Georgia is buried. So when I first heard about the Georgia Jackson murder I just had to gather as much info as I possibly could to try and make some sense of it. It never did make any sense and it never will. So I look up online to find the info about where she was buried in the Aylmer Cemetary. What I came up with was a webpage that was full of errors regarding the location in the cemetary where she is buried. They have her listed in Section A which is totally wrong. So here I go one hot evening to go find the grave and I end up doing almost the entire A section and some of these graves are nearly completely buried (exactly like Georgia's mother Virginia's was) and not always easy to find. I was so sure that the info on the site was accurate and I did not want to bother the man that maintains and lives on the property. I finally gave in and called the man and he told me the info on that site is all wrong. He explained where I could find the grave and the next night off I go again to Aylmer to finally see the grave. My friend and I arrive to find that all three graves are in need of some tlc. I asked the man at the cemetary if I had permission to clean it up a little and he said sure. Then I purchased a few tools because I live in a building I do not own any garden tools. My friend and I drive up to Aylmer again with our gloves and our tools and we are all ready to go do this job and when we get to the graves it is all done and everything is beautiful and I just could not believe it. So I went to my car and I called to man at the cemetary to say thank you for cleaning up the graves. I asked permission but then it was all done when I got there. 

chickapey

• View Profile
« Reply #139 on: July 23, 2015, 05:22:07 PM »
how nice is that of you sunshine! And the man to take the time to clean things up. I guess perpetual care only goes so far but he went above and beyond. I worried a bit about Jackie English's when I first went to see it. It looked like a piece was missing and sure enough it had a picture on it at one time but it was gone. I called a friend of mine who worked at Forest Lawn and she said it would have taken a bit to get it off but that if I had the family's permission, I could have it replaced. I just found it odd that it was missing and still wonder who took it.... I'm convinced someone took it. Jackie's is usually in good repair but in the spring it does tend to need a little clean up because of the grass but it only takes a minute or two. I know it's not the person actually there... that they are in a better place but it's a little sad when things are covered in like that.

Sunshine31

• View Profile
« Reply #140 on: July 23, 2015, 06:10:45 PM »
That is awful about the picture going missing from Jackie's stone. It is really sad that some folks have no respect for the dearly departed and go do things like that.  Also thanks to you chickapey for all you do here.

chickapey

• View Profile
« Reply #141 on: July 23, 2015, 08:20:01 PM »
I have my own suspicions as to where that went. Either the killer or MH has it or had it.

Declan

• View Profile
« Reply #142 on: July 29, 2015, 04:58:38 PM »
The articles posted by Sunshine 31 certainly provide us with a much better sense of the facts surrounding her case.  Definitely a worthwhile project - thanks Sunshine!  A theory was raised in Detective Arntfield's book as to whether Georgia might have been kept somewhere after she was murdered, and only later taken out to the place where her body was eventually found.  In part, this theory developed because her body had not been found despite extensive searching - including searches that had happened very near (and perhaps within 50 feet) of where her body was eventually discovered. So too, her coat was found about 2 weeks after she was abducted - and the coat appeared to be dry, despite a recent thaw.   This suggests it may have been placed there shortly before discovery.  However, countering this, her scarf was found after the coat was found, and the scarf was still frozen into the ground at the side of the road, suggesting it was probably left there much earlier.   

There was some doubt, even expressed by those who elicited the testimony from DB, as to whether he gave a true account of the events surrounding Georgia's death.  DB's statement (made twice) is that he picked Georgia up at a location very close to the Dairy Bar (specifically outside of Spicer's Bakery which is very close to the intersection of Talbot and John Street) and within the space of about an hour had killed her, left her body at the woodlot just north of Dingle Road, and then upon returning to his car realized her coat was there.  He then discarded the coat as he drove back to Aylmer where he joined Albert Crooker to help with janitorial work at the bank, by 7:30.

If the theory in Detective Arntfield's book is correct, then the statement given by DB is incorrect - which supports the claim/rumour made by several in the Aylmer congregation of the JW, that David may have been a patsy.   This suggests that her killer may never have been correctly identified. 

However, the weather records (using data from the nearby London Airport Weather Station) may be supportive of DB's statement and help explain why Georgia remained undiscovered.   

The weather the night that Georgia was abducted was cold, windy and snowy.  This is attested by the statement by Aylmer resident Mr Robinson who stated "it was a miserable night".  The weather station records show that the temperature was dropping towards -19 C.  with wind gusts of 35 km/hr out of the east.  This in part, might explain why Georgia would have accepted what might have appeared to be a kindly offer from a friend -someone she was trying to encourage to become more a part of the JW congregation - for a ride home.   The distance from where she accepted the ride (outside of Spicer's Bakery - according to DB's testimony) to her house @196 Syndenham Street was a walking distance of only 0.5 km (4 minutes perhaps),  but it was a very cold evening with snow falling and a gusty wind.   She may have been carrying two packages - although perhaps small ones (butter from the Dairy, and shampoo from the Met Store).   Even if Georgia did not feel that she "needed" a ride, she may have considered it rude to refuse such an offer, especially one offered by the son-in-law of Albert Crooker, the head of the congregation she was actively associated with.  The presence of DB on the road at that location would have been considered "normal" since he often helped out with janitorial work at the bank which was just across the street.  Accordingly, his car might have been a familiar sight to her. 

The total snowfall was about 8 cm, which added to the existing snow on the ground to create a depth of 13 cm by the next day.  Wind remained very gusty for the next 3 days. 

Based on the picture (Reply 117) of the nature of the woody area where Georgia was found, it appears to have an extensive brushy canopy.  It is quite likely that snow remaining on the canopy would have made it difficult to spot her body during the air searches that were conducted.  So too, the amount of snow, and the amount of wind could have been sufficient to blanket Georgia's body and make it impossible for those on the ground to discern.

Temperatures remained cold until the end of the month; her coat was found only after temperatures had risen above freezing for 5 days.  It is reported to have been a thaw at this time and weather records show a maximum temperature of up to 16 C during the two days just before her coat was found.  (Might this have been enough to both uncover the coat and to dry it?). Despite the thaw, her body was not found until March 16th, and the weather records show that despite the warm weather and the relative lack of snowfall, it was not until March 10th that "no snow on the ground" was reported. 

Even then, looking at the picture of where Georgia's body was found, traces of snow are still there (not sure when picture was taken), but it is common for snow to remain in shady wooded areas for much longer than in an open field.

Taken together, this might mean that the story laid out by DB is correct.  Leaving his car at the edge of the road (it would not be wise to drive out onto a snowy field), he managed to take Georgia's body 100 feet off the road, and left her near the edge of a woodlot.   Leaving from there he left her coat on his way back to Aylmer.  Snow and wind that night would have covered everything up - and their discovery awaited the thaw. 

As an additional thought.  Had Georgia's body been taken to its discovered location near the time of its discovery, one might wonder if drag marks in the muddy ground would have been found to attest to this. 

« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 09:39:49 AM by Declan »

Jesa

• View Profile
« Reply #143 on: October 16, 2015, 08:42:18 PM »
Welcome Iris....glad you have posted with this new information. Thank you

Sunshine31

• View Profile
« Reply #144 on: February 18, 2016, 04:23:13 AM »
February 18/1966-February 18/2016  Today marks 50 years since that day when Georgia Jackson left the Aylmer Dairy bar to walk the short walk home. She never made it. RIP Georgia <3

Sunshine31

• View Profile
« Reply #145 on: February 18, 2016, 07:01:00 PM »
I went to Aylmer tonight at 6pm to walk the same path Georgia would have walked had she only made it home that night. I was surprised to see that there was still some daylight. I took a few pics of the front and rear of the Dairy bar where Georgia worked at the time. I then proceeded to walk to the home where Georgia lived at the time. I thought I should time it at a normal pace to see exactly how many minutes she actually was by walking. My phone said 6:07 pm when I left the dairy bar and I was standing in front of the home where she lived and looked at the time and it was 6:12 pm. Five minutes at a normal adult pace. I can't even understand why she ever got in that car.

Sunshine31

• View Profile
« Reply #146 on: February 18, 2016, 07:07:16 PM »
The Dairy bar!

Sunshine31

• View Profile
« Reply #147 on: February 18, 2016, 07:09:05 PM »
The rear of the Dairy bar!

Sunshine31

• View Profile
« Reply #148 on: February 18, 2016, 07:43:04 PM »
Does anyone know why the three first pics are sideways because I took them all exactly the same with my phone?

chickapey

• View Profile
« Reply #149 on: February 23, 2016, 11:48:42 PM »
She had stopped to buy shampoo but that wouldn't have taken long. If the walk was that short... I'm amazed she got in the car. Having said that, I think he was a fast talker.. likely said something about taking a drive... maybe she felt obligated because of who he was. Either way it's a sad ending