Author Topic: Georgia Jackson - 18 - Murdered - February, 1966 - Aylmer, ON  (Read 69352 times)

italianlover

• View Profile
Georgia Jackson - 18 - Murdered - February, 1966 - Aylmer, ON
« on: August 21, 2009, 09:55:51 AM »
Has anybody got any information on this murder( of 18 year old Georgia Jackson) that took place circa March 1966. I was a young boy at the time and remember the incident. Has the murderer ever been found?

amIam

Re: Georgia Jackson - 18 - Murdered - February, 1966 - Aylmer, ON
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2010, 02:42:04 PM »
I was at the library the other day and came across a very old book ( actually it's bound on the outside with duct tape lol)

Georgia Jackson's murder is mentioned.

The title of the book: "Who Killed Lynne Harper?"
Author: "Bill Trent and Steven Truscott"
Published by Optimun Publishing Company Limited, Montreal, 1979
ISBN 0-88890-115-1

(The book is written with the hope of clearing Steven Truscott's name but there is a mention of other murders of similar nature.)

( Taken from pg 29)   The author Bill Trent, received a newspaper clipping datelined London, Feb 1, 1972. Part of this he quotes: " Police are searching for a 1957-model Meteor in connection with the 1966 rape and murder at Alymer. Wrecking yards in the Kitchner-Waterloo area have been checked without success"

( Taken from pg.30)   Quote: " The case was one of the area's most sensational.  It concerned a twenty-year-old girl named Georgia Jackson, a dairy bar waitress whose partially- clad, sexually molested body had been found  a few miles outside of Alymer. "

" Like Lynne, Georgia Jackson had been seen getting into a car.  The vehicle like the one in the Truscott case, had been a Chevrolet, and it was grey.  Like Lynne, she had been raped and her body left in a woodlot."

" Police brought the case to a close, six years after the murder, with the arrest of a one-time railroad worker named David Bodemer, father of five and son-in-law of Jehovah Witness preacher Albert Crooker who, in a chilling rain back in March 1966, had prayed at the graveside of Georgia Jackson.  Bodemer was sentenced to life in prison."  (end quote)

That all that was written about Georgia Jackson..no date of murder.  I hope this helps.

Woodland

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2010, 12:09:40 PM »
Came across this article today.  If the attachment does not work, it's from Toronto Star Pages of the Past, 19 August 1966, page 7.

http://pagesofthepast.ca/PageView.asp

Woodland

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2010, 04:18:34 PM »
Do you have a name Des for the perp?  I'm asking because there is nothing in the paper regarding an arrest or conviction for this crime.

There was a young man that took a lie detector test just prior to an inquest that was held in the fall of 1966.  The inquest was looking into the lax response by police when Georgia was reported missing.  He passed.

Georgia was last seen after work on 18 February 1966.  She made a purchase at a local shop after 6:00 pm.  She was recovered on 16 March 1966 many miles away.  The 17 year-old that took the lie detector test does not seem to have had a vehicle.  During the inquest the police made much mention of this lad, but they were under fire for saying she had just run off and would likely be back some day.  DNA was not an option then, maybe something happened much later.

Woodland

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2010, 05:12:46 AM »
Thanks - he was tried and convicted in 1972.

jessy w

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2010, 10:25:06 PM »
The Aylmer Police were pretty basic back then .Very little smarts , so to speak . The Police chief was an older fellow named Harold , something or other . The One thing the Police kept repeating , and they had that right ,was they felt Georgia was taken and murdered by someone she knew and trusted .
The Jehovah Witness People were the ones that broke this out into the open 6 years later . They somehow uncovered this and brought the murderer to the Police . It was a fellow Church member that was convicted of it . Her body was found just south of the Glencolin bridge in a patch of woods , by the Landowner who was looking for some poles to build a shed . He collected the $500. reward for finding the body , too. glencolin bridge is located on College line right where the railroad crosses it .
Some woman from up above Springfield had been calling the Aylmer Police about this david Bodemer  being involved with this murder, but they never paid her any mind . He was a real sadist as I remember he had planted her shoe and some undergarments in several remote places to tease the police , until the body was found . Wonder what happened to him ? is he still alive somewhere and still Killing ?

Concerned

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2010, 11:09:17 PM »
What disturbs me is that these individuals are not being tracked. Seems to me with today's sophisticated equipment, the person's id, when they earn money, when they open bank accounts, apply for mortgages, obtain credit, use health care cards, use ATMs, do online banking, play games online, and send email, should all provide trails. Now with phone GPS, picture GPS, vehicle GPS, music downloads, text messaging, Facebook, MySpace, email tracking, airport scanning, passport usage, border crossings, internet browser searches, all should be providing a map of the individual, their habits, and their trail. The way they conducted their crimes, their DNA, etc. Should all be used to form an information trail.

The sophistication of software can easily then cross reference MO to criminal activity and provide a story of who was where who has the propensity to do that.... and help solve these crimes. Why do I get the feeling that we are living in keystone ages where only this department talks to this jurisdiction, who might share the information, once they are off vacation to another jurisdiction via email that might or might not be read, and maybe  if enough people think it is worth passing along the somewhat useless information (and with a little bit of fairy dust) we just might get a possible lead that we may just follow up on, unless of course our head patrol suddenly  places us on copy duty and refocuses our energies elsewhere in distraction--maybe someone might connect some right dot...

And, if he gets jail and is released, well, ...scratch scratch heck i dunno where they are, maybe Elmo does. He lived in the block down the street from the region Mary Beth's cousin's father house is at. He might know something before he retires in two weeks. 

I apologoize for being so flippant, but we have the technology, lets use the darn stuff. Lives are at stake for goodness sakes. No excuses. Yesterday is gone. Tomorrow is a new day. Let's wake up with it. This is not rocket science kiddies. The capability is within scope, and very very doable.

I would imagine if given the ability to be awesome at what they do, all personnel would love to see technologies assist. So, what is it going to take?  Waiting until all those bad guys infiltrate the management level of all the investigation units and forever everyone is looking the other way? Is that what we want? Things like sharing information in a push of the button should not be a far off dream, it should have been a yesterday install. In about five minutes the computer should be able to generate a few instant leads for the crew to follow up on.  When a child goes missing, the details surrounding the abduction should be entered into the profile and generate likely suspects with direct locations to find them.  Cameras around towns at and around businesses and in intersections should provide clues to transportation routes and license numbers. Etc., etc., etc.  And, if we have to .. chips just might have to be mandatory fashion jewelry. Let's start preventing instead of spending 20 plus years asking questions of people that weren't around at the time, and don't have a clue as to what happened and well.... can't find the file. What happens when Elmo retires or passes...

The accused was tried & convicted. He is believed to have been released by now. Sorry we have no further details. The Ontario Provincial Police assisted us in the investigation. Perhaps they have more details

Woodland

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2010, 07:25:38 AM »
Hi jessy w - you posted something that caught my attention - another body in that area found at a railway line.  There have been so many.

Are you familiar with any other victim locations from that time frame or relatively close by?  Would be most interested in learning about that.

jessy w

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2010, 01:53:30 PM »
In trying to remember , I was just a kid back then . I wrote it wrong about the guy who found the body. It was a middle age fellow driving a pickup who glanced into the woods there and spotted something suspicious enough to stop and look .The reason i was so impressed with it all , My Brother and I had just pedaled by that exact spot the day before and saw nothing . That $500 reward was huge to us then , we were all looking. The landowner had said he walked through there 2 days earlier looking for poles and never saw it . I believe the Sadist had just put her Body there in the Woods the night before .
Also , i believe the murder was probably committed in the old gravel pit just north of Springer hill , there on the old Bayham- malihide line road . The Police did admit they found some items there off her body . By mentioning these names ,I'm useing Site names from 40 years ago , that is when I lived there in the Aylmer area.

jessy w

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2010, 09:38:48 PM »
All these old memories keep flooding back . Georgia Jackson was a beautiful girl , her face just glowed out from the newspapers of that time . No , I did not know her personally though she may have served me a 25 cent milk shake there at the Dairy Bar . It was located between the main Stop light there in Aylmer and the Creek . When i visited Aylmer 20 years ago the building was still there , though long closed . I believe the reason they brushed all details away about this case was because of the real shoddy investigative work by the Police on the case . This David Brohmer was there at the cafe the day she disappeared. The JW Church assured the Police he was OK so they never even interviewed him at that time. The case was an embarrasment to the Police and to the JW Church . She deserves to be remembered ,even after all the years . Hopefully the Murderer has gone on to his well deserved reward.

ninerfan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2010, 10:58:31 PM »
I have lived in Aylmer all my life and know a little about this case.a close family member was called to the inquest.She believed that the jackson girl was definetly abducted by a person orshould i say person(s) known to her.she also told me that she knew David Bodemer and at a function sometime after the inquest  he had stared at her and she had the strangest feeling at the time.Albert Crooker
was a family member of mine and was the minister for the Jehovah's witness church in Aylmer.My mother told me that the Church hierarchy  had known bodemer was involved and had been covering it up.She said she always felt there was  more to the story,and someone else involved.I remember detectives coming to our house twice once in the late 70's and another time in the mid eighties.To her dying day she swore something wasn't quite right about the whole thing,i sometimes felt she thought he was a patsy,or hadn't acted alone.She had knowledge of a few strange occurances that happened that evening when the Jackson girl disappeared and in the following days afterward.these lead me to believe that she could quite possibly be right.I Know who she thought may be involved with this crime as well,and I do believe it to be a very good possibility that another family member  could have been involved.But this could have been checked out,I don't know.

ninerfan

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2010, 11:08:59 PM »
As far as i know Bodemer did his time and would have been released in the late eighties or after.As to his whereabouts he could be living back here in Aylmer or changed his name.I have read about other unsolved murders in and around our area during that time,but never really thought about his involvement.

Miss R

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2010, 02:06:23 PM »
Here's a few items that popped in the search engine, with reference to Georgia Jackson of Alymer:

The North York reference branch, a branch within the Toronto Public Library, has a book of stored copies of the Alymer Express newspaper.  There should be a mention about the Jackson murder. 

As Amiam stated, there's a book, "Who Killed Lynne Harper", by Bill Trent and Steven Murray Truscott and this is the only book that mentions the Jackson case. 

The Cue magazine, a 1972 edition, Volume 41, Issues 14-26, there's something printed, but am unable to call up a preview.  It's a New York magazine, and my guess that it either has a mention about the murder, or there's an article about another 'Georgia Jackson'.  I don't believe copies are found in Canadian library branches. 

julijohn

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2010, 10:09:56 PM »
I was from the Aylmer area too - no one seems to have mentioned the clip in the archives of the CTV news in 1966, where Georgia's mother is interviewed and says she THINKS her daughter called her and asked for help and said she was being held downtown...???  Here's the link       http://www.archives.gov.on.ca/english/on-line-exhibits/cfpl/videos/1966/6.aspx

Jesa

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2010, 06:08:13 PM »
Must apologize, I misread facts about the Jackson girl being found in a creek....it was a comment about the Merle girl in the Jackson thread. I will take more time before I comment so to be sure I have the facts correct.