Author Topic: Honour Killings in Canada  (Read 33080 times)

Sleuth

Re: Honour Killings in Canada
« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2009, 10:25:02 PM »
By Michelle Mcquigge, The Canadian Press, cp.org, October 7, 2009 10:11 PM
Muslim organization urges Ottawa to ban burkas, niqabs in public

TORONTO - Middle Eastern garments designed to cover a woman's face are "medieval" and "misogynist" symbols of extremism with no basis in Islam, a Canadian Muslim lobby group said Wednesday as it urged Ottawa to ban the burka and the niqab.

The Muslim Canadian Congress called on the federal government to prohibit the two garments in order to prevent women from covering their faces in public - a practice the group said has no place in a society that supports gender equality.

"To cover your face is to conceal your identity," congress spokeswoman Farzana Hassan said in a telephone interview, describing the issue as a matter of public safety, since concealing one's identity is a common practice for criminals.

The tradition of Muslim women covering their faces in public is a tradition rooted more in Middle Eastern culture than in the Islamic faith, Hassan added.

There is nothing in any of the primary Islamic religious texts, including the Qur'an, that requires women to cover their faces, she said - not even in the controversial, ultra-conservative tenets of Sharia law.

Considering the fact that women are in fact forbidden from wearing burkas in the grand mosque in Mecca, Islam's holiest site, it hardly makes sense that the practice should be permitted in Canada, she said.

"If a government claims to uphold equality between men and women, there is no reason for them to support a practice that marginalizes women."

The proposed ban would include the burka, an iconic head-to-toe gown with a mesh-like panel over the face that allows the wearer to see and to breathe, as well as the niqab - a veil that leaves only the eyes exposed.

Hassan said the ban would not extend to the hijab, a traditional headscarf that does not cover the face.

The proposed ban comes on the heels of reports that Sheikh Mohamed Tantawi, dean of Egypt's al-Azhar university and the country's highest Muslim authority, is poised to issue a fatwa, or religious edict, against the garments.

Media reports Monday said Tantawi described the face coverings as "a custom that has nothing to do with the Islamic faith."

Mohamed Elmasry, former president of the Canadian Islamic Congress, said he agrees the tradition has its roots in cultural customs rather than religious teachings, but that the issue is irrelevant in Canada where the practice is not widespread.

Elmasry disputed suggestions that the garments pose a security threat, saying only a minority of Muslim women living in Canada feel the need to conceal their features in public.

He said he believes those women should have the freedom to decide whether they wish to cover their faces, and that a ban would limit freedom of expression.

"People feel it's part of their identity, people feel it's part of their culture," Elmasry said. "It's not for you and me to decide."

http://news.ca.msn.com/canada/cbc-article.aspx?cp-documentid=22128929

Fraser

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2009, 05:52:28 PM »
I just wanted to add a little bit of info here without getting into a religious discussion. I am not mentioning the culture/religion that these young ladies are from as this info is only intended to let people know how prevalent this type of threat is to young women here in Canada. In addition, I have known a couple of people raised in Christian homes who left home because they feared for their safety for not being "good" enough for their familie's values....I don't have a problem with religion...I have a problem with how people twist it around for their own purposes.

The info - A close friend of mind is a teacher in a large city secondary school with about 1200 students. Right now in that school there are at least two girls from other cities who are enrolled under assumed names because they wanted to go to school and pursue their own lives as opposed to those their families had chosen from them. The social services and education system helped make it possible for these  girls to do this. Two girls in just one school makes me think that the problem is bigger than most Canadians realize. Sad, but true and hopefully on its way to change.

bigb

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2009, 01:07:32 PM »
Hello Folks --i am new to this forum -found you all because someone sent me a link to inform me of new developments In a very Cold case in my hometown.
This thread caught my attention mainly because I was appalled at this story when It unfolded but also because of the story now happening In the USA re the young girl who left her Muslim Family and took shelter with a Christian Pastor's family because she feared she would be the victim of an Honour Killing If she stayed with her family ----Her crime, In her Muslim Father's opinion, she has changed her religion to Christian.
This stuff has to stop In Canada and in all countries. I feel that the Canadian gov't and the Canadian justice system has the power to make this stop by making an example of these people by deporting them rather than putting them in jail.
When they come to this country it needs to be made clear that a requirement to being here is to assimilate into the communities -not hide in their own little communities and break Canadian laws. They need to be made to dress like us ( except on their special holidays and on their sabbath ) learn to live like us and not be given any special treatment.
When we go to their country they expect us to abide by their rules and in the case of women even cover our heads --the same should apply when they come here.

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2009, 04:15:24 PM »
I am also in agreement with you. We are chipping away at our values and our way of life. A couple of years ago a display was put in front of a hospital in New Brunswick, the Nativity Scene, which we all love at Christmas time and has been there since we were wee one's. Well, a person in the hospital who held a position there and was of the Islamic faith raised a big fuss because of this display. It was put in the newspapers, he wanted it dismantled and removed, of course he didn't get his way. I certainly sent my comments into the newspaper on that one. Also, anyone on here from Toronto, must remember the Christmas Tree that was removed from an office entryway because of an Islam complaining of a display of the beautiful tree that we in our own country have always had for our celebration of the birth of Christ. All of this has to end. They hide behind the Islam faith for everything. The men can do as they please, they murder family members, when they should be holding their hands and helping them and caring for them. We are not allowed to go around with our faces covered, just go to a bank and try and cash a cheque, the cops would be there in a heartbeat. This has got to stop and we are not taking it anymore. Canada is our country and come here and we will embrace you, but DO NOT TELL US WHAT TO DO AND DO NOT TRY AND CHANGE OUR CELEBRATIONS AS WE KNOW THEM. I just get angry when I hear all of these stories. These, I call them DISHONOUR KILLINGS, there is no honour in killing somebody. They should get the maximum penalty for these crimes. I suppose they will try to be tried by their own country for the crimes they have committed, which would be a slap on the wrist. When  you come into this country, live by our rules and do not try to change them. They get all kinds of help in our country to get jobs, there is more available for them then there is for our own college students who are looking for jobs. I love my Canada and we live in the best country in the world, so let us keep it that way. :D :D :D :D :D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D Oh yes and I forgot to mention, did you notice how they have changed the ads on TV or how you greet people at Christmas, it is supposed to be "Happy Holidays", well, I want to tell all of you people who are on this site and anyone you know across Canada, it is MERRY CHRISTMAS AND A HAPPY NEW YEAR, those are the greetings we use and I do never intend to stop using them.  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 04:20:44 PM by capeheart »

Sleuth

« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2010, 02:30:25 AM »
 January 7, 2010 9:34 AM
Afghan women escape violence through suicide: report

Afghan women escape violence through suicide: report

More Afghan women are choosing suicide to escape the violence and brutality of their daily lives, says a human rights report prepared by Canada's Foreign Affairs Department.

The 2008 annual assessment paints a grim picture in a country where violence against women and girls is common, despite rising public awareness among Afghans and international condemnation.

"Self-immolation is being used by increasing numbers of Afghan women to escape their dire circumstances and women constitute the majority of Afghan suicides," said the report, completed in November 2009.

The document was obtained by The Canadian Press under the Access to Information Act.

The director of a burn unit at a hospital in the relatively peaceful province of Herat reported that in 2008 more than 80 women attempted suicide by setting themselves on fire, many of them in the early 20s.

Many of those women died, the report said.

The frank evaluation of the plight of women was written against the backdrop of international debate last year over the Afghanistan government's so-called rape law.

The legislation, aimed at courting votes in the minority Shia community, legalized rape within a marriage. It prompted outrage in Canada and many other countries.

The move was an attempt to codify social and religious practices, but the international condemnation forced the government to review the law. It was eventually enacted with some amendments, although the basic tenets remained unchanged.

"Rape is widely believed to be a frequent occurrence, though its true extent is concealed by under-reporting owing to the social stigma attached to it," says the 31-page, partly censored document.

Honour killings

The Afghan practice of "honour killings" has been cited as a major problem by both the Canadian Foreign Affairs Department and the United Nations Commissioner for Human Rights.

The Afghanistan Independent Human Rights Commission said it has "recorded 76 cases of honour killings in 2008, but the actual number is believed by local embassies and NGOs (non-governmental organizations) to be much higher."

A Calgary-based group, Canadian Women for Women in Afghanistan, said Ottawa needs to put more emphasis on the issue as the country approaches the 2011 deadline for the withdrawal of troops.

"Human rights are human rights for a reason. They belong to everyone and they shouldn't be denied to half of the population," said Penny Christensen, the organization's treasurer.

"As Canadians we have a moral and ethical responsibility to support the women of Afghanistan."

She credited the Canadian government for placing special emphasis on improving the lives of women with a series of programs, but said it needs to further encourage the development of Afghan civil society.

The Afghan constitution mandates the participation of women in the country's parliament, which should be taken as a sign that the situation is not hopeless, Christensen said.

A British study, cited in the Foreign Affairs report, said 87 per cent of Afghan women complained they were the victims of violence, half of it sexual.

"The report added that 60 per cent of marriages are forced, and 57 per cent of marriages involve girls under the age of 16. Due to both social norms and lack of access to justice, women rarely report widespread abuse against them, particularly rape or sexual abuse."

Few escapes

There are few places victims can go to escape abuse.

"Some women escaping from domestic violence can only find shelter in prisons, although the creation of women's shelters in some parts of the country now provides an alternative."

There are only 19 women's shelters in Afghanistan.

The Afghan government has sometimes been ambivalent about domestic violence, on the one hand condemning sexual abuse, particularly rape, but then backtracking in some high-profile cases.

President Hamid Karzai personally condemned the August 2008 rape of a 12-year-old girl in Sari Pul province, saying rapists should "face the country's most severe punishment."

But in a separate case he pardoned two men convicted of raping a woman in Samangan province.

The Afghan government has created special police task forces staffed by female officers to investigate family violence and crimes against children.

But the report notes those female officers often complain they're not allowed to do outreach and must wait for victims to show up at the police station.

http://news.ca.msn.com/world/cbc-article.aspx?cp-documentid=23208300

Sleuth

« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2010, 01:34:24 AM »

jobo

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2010, 08:18:55 AM »
These honour killings are heartbreaking.  When families come to Canada, I can imagine that for some of them it truly is a culture shock.  I know that many of these families want to keep their customs....but when in Rome do as the Romans do.....
I would like to understand what these families know about Canadian customs before they come to our country.  It must be a shock to the parents when they see Canadian teenagers wearing whatever suits their fancy.  But these new Canadians, need to realize that it is very different.  Women actually do have rights in Canada. 

Who, though, is responsible to educate these parents?   They need to know how it is in Canada, before they decide if they want to raise their kids here.   Too many of them do not want to wear the hijab.....I feel bad for these girls, they want to fit in more with the Canadian girls.  And they should be able to.  Somehow, someone needs to make these facts clear to the families.  Some of these girls have confided in their friends, but need to be confiding in someone that can mediate for the family.  I suppose it would have to be a "Canadianized" person from the "Home Country".

I am open to all cultures, but am a firm believer that if you move to another country, you do not change their customs, you change yourself to fit in.   

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 16, 2010, 06:27:33 PM »
I get so angry everytime I hear about these murders. Our country has to stop calling these killings "honour killings", they are FIRST DEGREE MURDER.  These are First Degree Murder, premeditated to take the life of a lovely young woman, because of some silly idea they have. It is totally abuse of women in the worse possible way. It is total power over your mind, body and spirit. It is stripping you of any will that you have and in living you're everyday life. It is a form of stalking in your own home. There is no freedom for women in any of these countries, it is total oppression. The Canadian Immigration department has to stop allowing these people to come to our country. I urge our government to stop calling these killings HK, they have to be called MURDER. I definitely am going to be writing a letter to the Department of Justice on this subject.  ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

jobo

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 16, 2010, 06:53:28 PM »
I really never thought of that Capeheart, but you are so right.  It is basically pre-meditated murder.  The males in these cultures will murder a female.....to keep the man's (so called) honour.  If the women do not follow their rules, well, there is ways to get rid of them.  If they are in Canada, Canada needs to realize this is a real threat to women who rebel.  

I feel that these men do not have the brains to realize they have dishonoured the family by committing murder. They have destroyed a young precious life... They have now put themself in jail for a long time, and abandoned the rest of the family.  How can that be honourable?  The "breadwinner" is in jail...  And, At the very least, dishonoured their chosen country's laws.  And in some cases, it is father and son, the perps...so this gets passed down.
Immigration has to be fully aware of this problem.  What are they doing about it?  Probably hoping and keeping their fingers crossed that it doesn't happen too many more times, as to draw too much attention to these women's plights.  Too much hassle for Immigration.... ;)
 I already said on another thread that I do not agree with the women that cover their faces.  It should be a known law, that it is not acceptable in Canada.  Period. If you can't abide, then, sorry, don't come.  Now that we face terrorism threats, this kind of attire should not be acceptable.  Who's to say that it really is a woman under that facial scarf?   It is about time Canada kept their values, and their systems before all the do-gooders jumped on board.  We are a good Country, but we tend to bow too much to other's customs.  We can be respectful of different cultures, but do not need to adopt them, or change for them.  

And yes, I hope these murderers get Life for the Life they took.   That's what I would like to see.  And deport them back to their homeland, once they get out of jail.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 07:05:00 PM by jobo »

amIam

« Reply #40 on: June 18, 2010, 02:07:59 PM »
I very much dislike this term ' honour killing'  Yes, fathers, sons, mothers and at times other close relatives murder a  young daughter, trying to escape the confines of their former culture.

It really slays me that those from other countries come here to Canada to supposedly begin new lives and bring young children.  And yet when those young children..always seems to be daughters, balk at the old traditional ways and at times are murdered by their fathers/brothers..it's called ' Honour Killing'   and (if) they are convicted, as in this case, they are sent to jail.. under 'honour killing'

There seems to me a sense of justification to the perps, with this honour killing distinction.  It should be classified as murder, plain and simple as this was the end result.

Concerned

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 18, 2010, 06:00:54 PM »
It would seem to me that if the country does not condone "honor killings" they can not use the term in a manner of justification when officially referring to the case. If the practice is not recognized in the community in which they reside or were located, then it is very inappropriate and discriminatory to use the term when officially referring to the case. In Canada, it is what it is...murder.

amIam

« Reply #42 on: June 19, 2010, 04:54:56 PM »
There are two factors at play here.  One being child abuse and the other being murder. 

Honour killing?  To use this term is a travisty to our country.  And to qualify the abuse and death of a child by this distinction, is a further travesty. 

Brings to mind abuse by way of the Catholic Church over all these years. 

Oh well, I guess we should just excuse both away, eh?  One being, ( re degerate priest's abuse) as physical/ sexual abuse against children who had no voice. And as well Native children who were plucked from their homes and placed in abusive Catholic institutions for the only reasons as they were considered heathens.

Ah, and now we have "Honour Killings"   I guess it's a step forward regarding admittance.   

solvy

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 20, 2011, 09:35:17 PM »

jobo

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 21, 2011, 06:51:32 AM »
There is lots of talk about the women that are abused so horribly in some cultures, like in the post Solvy just posted.   How do these misguided men think they come across when their thinking is the 'Woman, girl' is bringing dishonour to the family when dating young men.....BUT daddy thinks it's okay to MURDER them.  I think sitting in jail for the rest of your life would bring Dishonour to your family.   

This crime in Kingston is very sad.   These girls tried to get help and didn't get it, and now they are dead.  Talk is always to educate the women as to their rights, but I am thinking the young men also need help so they don't follow their dad's footsteps.   The son in this murder helped, so now he also goes to jail, and what was he?  20?   

A family like this should have stayed in Afghanistan, as the Western Culture is too 'free and easy' for their strict (and insane, In my opinion) belief system.    Their children suffer terribly if they are drawn to what Canadian Kids do, rather than abide by their parent's strict rules.  How torn some of them must be.   It can't be easy for them.
In this case, seems like the girl's were reaching out for help, but it didn't come soon enough for them....I wonder what their counsellors have to say now that this happened to the girls.