Author Topic: Honour Killings in Canada  (Read 33081 times)

Shwa

• View Profile
Re: Honour Killings in Canada
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2009, 06:09:16 AM »
We have to stop the violence in Canada first.  Why invade other countries and impose our concept of "democracy" when murder and mayhem are a chronic problem?  Why impose our morals and ethics elsewhere when our morals and ethicsat home are constantly under attack from chaos?

I think you raise a good point about educating immigrants that there are safe places to go should their values run contrary to their traditional 'old country' values.  But sometimes those values are so ingrained and intuitive that some of these women would no more think about escaping than we would about lighting a forest fire in the dry season.  Our education needs to be total and so far it is the children than are the only ones that are integrating.

This is the problem with 'enclave' multiculturalism.  It might have worked for the English-French-Aboriginal pillars of Canada in the last century, but I think we need to steer more towards a melting pot mentality in these modern times.  And I do not see that from politicians who try their best to keep the status quo to get votes.

Sleuth

« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2009, 02:18:18 PM »
I realize that this did not happen in Canada but I thought it apropos to put it here.  Quote [In Jordan, officials said Wednesday they have set up special tribunals to deal with honour killings, hoping to speed up trials.] So many honour killings that a special tribunal has been set up!?  RIP  :'(

Gaza father suspected of bludgeoning daughter with iron chain in 'honour killing'

1 hour, 50 minutes ago
July 29 2009

By Rizek Abdel Jawad, The Associated Press

GAZA CITY, Gaza Strip - A Gaza man is being held on suspicion he bludgeoned his daughter with an iron chain, cracking her skull in a particularly brutal family "honour killing," two human rights groups said Wednesday, citing police and forensics reports.

The assault was triggered by Jawdat Najjar's discovery that his daughter Fadia - a 27-year-old divorced mother of five - owned a cellphone, the groups said. He suspected she used it to speak to a man outside the family, according to the groups' reports.

Dr. Mohammed Sultan, who examined the victim, told The Associated Press that her head and face were bloodied, her body covered by bruises and that she suffered internal bleeding.

Police confirmed Wednesday that Najjar turned himself in a day after the July 23 killing but did not give details. The officer at a police station in northern Gaza spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to talk to the media.

Three of the woman's brothers were also detained on suspicion that they acted as accomplices, said the rights groups Mezan and the Palestinian Center for Human Rights (PCHR), citing police and forensics reports. The groups did not say how they obtained the reports.

Fadia Najjar was the 10th victim of a so-called "honour killing" this year in the Palestinian territories and among Arab communities in Israel, according to rights groups.

In such killings, a woman's life is taken by male relatives who suspect her of inappropriate conduct. Such killings are still widespread in the Middle East, where a woman's perceived misconduct can hurt the standing of a family and where tradition says the "stain" can only be removed by shedding her blood.

Traditionally, assailants have received light sentences.

But the killing of Najjar shocked even activists used to detailing such crimes.

Her father used an iron chain to beat her, while also kicking and punching her for about 40 minutes until she died of a fatal blow to the head, said Mezan and the PCHR.

"It's shocking," said Samir Zakout of Mezan. "But it's not surprising because killers know they won't be punished harshly."

In the West Bank and Gaza, "honour killing" assailants serve between six months and three years in prison, said Mona Shawa of PCHR. Gaza is ruled by the Islamic militant Hamas, while the West Bank is run by Western-backed Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas. Justice officials in the two territories were not available for comment.

In Jordan, officials said Wednesday they have set up special tribunals to deal with honour killings, hoping to speed up trials.

The New York-based Human Rights Watch reported Wednesday that the Syrian government abolished a law that waived punishment for some honour killings and now allows judges to sentence perpetrators to at least two years jail.

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2009, 06:43:41 PM »
Well in one case over there within the last couple of years,  a father murdered his daughter, because she was raped. It wasn't even her fault and she was murdered, because he said it brought dishonor to the family. We in Canada can do something, we can stop using the words "honour killing". We can say First Degree Murder, which it is. By using their phrases, it makes them believe that this is just okay, that it is acceptable here as it is in their country. There has been several of these murders in the last couple of years. so violent and senseless. I hope they pray the ultimate price, life in prison. ??? ??? ??? ???

Shwa

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2009, 12:36:06 PM »
Interesting quote from this Toronto Star story:  http://www.thestar.com/News/Canada/article/675034

This is from the 19 year old victims boyfriend.

Hyderi, whose family is also Afghan, bristled at calling the deaths an "honour killing" because it might suggest to some in the Muslim community that Shafia did something wrong, which she didn't, he said.

BCID

« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2009, 06:30:26 AM »
Here is three for you:

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20090731/india_drop_090731/20090731?hub=World

Indian rights activists blast baby-dropping ritual
Updated Fri. Jul. 31 2009 9:51 PM ET

The Associated Press

NEW DELHI -- Rights activists lashed out at local officials who allowed hundreds of infants to be dropped from the roof of a mosque in western India in the belief that the fall -- which ends when the babies are caught in a bedsheet -- would ensure good health and prosperity for their families.

The ritual at the Baba Umer Durga, a Muslim shrine, is believed to have been followed for nearly 700 years, and each year hundreds of people, both Hindus and Muslims, take part in the ritual.

Local officials told television news stations Friday that there had been no reports of injuries.

The infants, mostly under two years old, were dangled Thursday from the roof of the shrine near Sholapur, about 450 kilometres (280 miles) south of Mumbai, before being dropped about 50 feet (15 metres) onto a bedsheet held aloft by parents and other believers.

Television channels showed the babies screaming as they were shaken in the air before being dropped.

With high child mortality rates, especially in India's rural areas, many people resort to rituals which they believe can ensure their children's health.

Child rights activists expressed outrage after the Headlines Today television channel showed the babies being dropped.

"This shows the complete failure of the local administration to prevent this practice and to create awareness about children's health," said Ranjana Kumari, a civil rights activist in New Delhi.

"It is also a reflection of the lack of access to health services, that forces people to behave in this irrational manner," Kumari told the AP.

India's National Commission for Protection of Child's Rights issued a notice Thursday to the local administration in Sholapur and has begun investigations into the practice.

http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2009/07/29/sudan-trousers-woman-lashing-trial072909.html

Sudan woman faces lash for wearing trousers
Last Updated: Wednesday, July 29, 2009 | 7:56 PM ET Comments96Recommend37The Associated Press
A female Sudanese journalist facing 40 lashes for wearing trousers in public in violation of the country's strict Islamic laws told a packed Khartoum courtroom Wednesday she is resigning from a UN job that grants her immunity so she can challenge the law on women's public dress code.

Lubna Hussein was among 13 women arrested July 3 in a raid by members of the public order police force on a popular Khartoum cafe for wearing pants, considered indecent by the strict interpretation of Islamic law adopted by Sudan's Islamic regime.

All but three of the women were flogged at a police station two days later.

But Hussein and two other women decided they wanted to go to trial and Hussein invited human rights workers, Western diplomats and fellow journalists to Wednesday's hearing.

Some of her women friends showed up in court Wednesday wearing trousers in a show of support.

"This is not a case about me wearing pants," said Hussein, who works in the media department of the UN Mission in Sudan and contributes opinion pieces to a left-leaning Khartoum newspaper.

"This is a case about annulling the article that addresses women's dress code, under the title of indecent acts. This is my battle. This article is against the constitution and even against Islamic law itself," she said after the hearing.

Judge Mudathir Rashid adjourned the hearing until Aug. 4 to give Hussein time to quit her job.

Hussein said she would immediately quit and thanked the UN for intervening to spare her possible punishment.

She said the UN mission was trying to stand by her, invoking a clause in an agreement between the Sudanese government and the world body's representatives in Sudan that obliges authorities to ask permission before starting legal proceedings against a member of its staff.

UN's Ban 'deeply concerned'
When asked about the case, UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon described himself as "deeply concerned" and said flogging was a violation of international human rights standards.

"The UN will take every effort to ensure that the rights of its staff members are protected," Ban told a news conference.

Hussein's defence lawyer, Nabil Adeeb, said the UN wanted to protect its staff, but Hussein wanted her trial to proceed.

"We have contradicting interests," he said. Hussein can face at least 40 lashes, according to Adeeb.

Islamic Sharia law has been strictly implemented in Sudan since an army coup led by President Omar al-Bashir seized power in 1989, toppling an elected but ineffective government. Activists and lawyers say the implementation of the law is arbitrary.

Public order cases usually involve quick summary trials with sentences carried out shortly afterward, as was the case with the 10 of the 13 women arrested earlier this month. They were flogged and fined 250 Sudanese pounds, or about $120 US.

Women in the mostly Arabized and Muslim northern Sudan, particularly in the capital Khartoum, dress in traditional outfits that include a shawl over their head and shoulder. Western dress is uncommon.

Still, the raid on a Khartoum cafe popular with journalists and foreigners was unusual.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/as_malaysia_caning_for_beer

Thu Jul 23, 7:08 AM

By The Associated Press

ADVERTISEMENT

KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - A Malaysian woman sentenced to flogging for drinking beer has accepted the Islamic court's order, saying she wants the punishment to be carried out soon, news reports said Thursday.

Kartika Sari Dewi Shukarno, a 32-year-old model, was arrested on charges of drinking beer after Islamic authorities raided a hotel nightclub last year. She was sentenced Monday to six lashes with a rattan cane after pleading guilty in the Shariah High Court.

Consuming alcohol is a religious offence in Malaysia only for Muslims, who make up nearly two-thirds of the population. Offenders are prosecuted in Shariah courts, which handle cases mainly related to family and moral issues for Muslims. Most alcohol offenders are fined, but the law also provides for a three-year prison term and caning.

Some politicians and women's rights activists have criticized the religious court's sentence, calling it too harsh.

Caning is usually reserved for men in various crimes ranging from rape to bribery. But several Islamic lawyers have insisted that the penalty for Kartika is fair, saying she will be whipped with a thin rattan cane that does not cause severe pain.

Kartika told reporters in her northern home state of Perak on Wednesday that she wants authorities to carry out the penalty quickly so that she can resume her life with her husband and two children.

"I will accept this earthly punishment," the national news agency Bernama quoted her as saying. "I want to advise youngsters to learn from my experience, not to repeat my mistake and cause shame to yourself and family."

Kartika's lawyer could not immediately be contacted Thursday.

Rattan canes are made from palm plants common in tropical parts of Asia. They have been used for decades for corporal punishment, but offenders in serious crimes are flogged with thicker canes that can cause bleeding and scars.

Kartika was the only Muslim caught in last year's raid at the Pahang nightclub. Malaysian clubs and lounges typically serve alcohol and are not legally required to check if customers are Muslim before serving them, so the hotel nightclub operators were not charged with any offence.

The judge in Kartika's case did not elaborate on why he imposed a relatively severe sentence, but local media noted that he had a history of being tough on alcohol offenders.

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2009, 04:28:09 PM »
In my opinion these crimes against the Pakistan women and other women in surrounding areas are just a form of power over women. It is that women are not able to have any rights. They do not have the right to marry who they choose and be happy. The male persons want to have the total control over the women and that is why from day one they have to hide their faces. Of course, it has been done for many, many years, but it is time to forget those old rules and get on in the real world. Things will never change with these cultures, because they do not want to go forward. It is getting a bit better now that the US and Canadian, British and French troups are over there. Some strides have been made, but just when they think they are winning, we hear about a female activist being murdered. I just hope that justice prevails in this crime and we don't have to hear the hocus pocus about HK. How do you send condolences to the family, because the family is happy that they are dead, it is a tragedy all the way around. ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Shwa

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2009, 05:47:44 AM »
I am not sure why BCID posted those stories other than to illustrate that other cultures in other parts of the world do things differently.

Our troops being in Afghanistan and Iraq have nothing to do with how women are treated and has everything to do with oil and economic reasons.  Don't be fooled to think that we are there to impose democracy and freedom for women.  It is to maintain a foothold in the region and keep a military presence on hand.  The Taliban were against that concept and had to go.  Stability they call it.

We are not some superior civilization, those days are over.  If you judge civilization on how women are treated, ours has some severe shortcomings and I don't think I need to list them here.  Let's not divert our attention away from our own problems by focusing on others and expounding how superior we think are.

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2009, 06:20:20 PM »
Don't get me wrong Shwa, I didn't mean the military is going to save the women, I just think it is making it a bit easier for them. I know we have violence in our country and somehow we know it will never stop, but it is because of the cultures in their world that they believe this is okay, to murder the person because they were going to marry someone they didn't choose or some other cooked up idea that they believe in their heads, gives them the right to take the life of their daughter.  It is always the girls that are murdered, I haven't heard of any young men being killed. Maybe, I'm wrong, but I feel it is usually the women. ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

BCID

« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2009, 04:51:11 AM »
Shwa, I posted those articles to add to the discussion of the Islamic law and how it treats people. I personally find the religion outdated. It causes friction with human rights and laws for equality but yet it is the fatest growing religion in the world at this moment. We almost had a close shave here at home when Muslims tried to rally to have their Islamic courts here in Canada and seperate from Canadian laws.

Don't get me wrong, it's not just their faith I am against. I am against all faiths. I spent years being tossed through the religion grinding wheel and came out wondering what the heck was the point of it all. The only things I learned from religions were each faith was wrong as from the viewpoint of another faith and yes we'll feed the starving children of Africa but introduce them to our god at the same time.

As for the war in Iraq, many wars have been fought for either profit or to destroy those of another faith. Almost every country has something they have done they are not proud of. It is quite possible the US will pull out after they have sucked the middle east dry all in the name of democracy. But I can not deny some good is being done in the middle east. I have friends stationed in Afghan who have told me some people are starting to bathe in the western influence ever since the troops moved in. People are starting to take liberties which would otherwise have had them executed under the thumb of the Taliban.

This war is also keeping the Taliban in check to a degree. If this occupation didn't exist and if the Russians didn't wage a 10 year war with the Taliban previously, you would see many more bombings and deaths in other countries, even good ol' Canada. Until the entire world is converted to Islam, everyone is still a viable target to the extremists.

Shwa

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2009, 06:29:56 AM »
"but it is because of the cultures in their world that they believe this is okay, to murder the person because they were going to marry someone they didn't choose or some other cooked up idea that they believe in their heads, gives them the right to take the life of their daughter."

I don't want you to think I am picking on you, but I want to use the above quote to illustrate a point.

We have to be really, really careful when we generalize about groups of people because the tiniest slip and we are dead wrong and that can lead to a domino effect of ignorance.  When we generalize about people or cultures - painting with a broad brush - our risk of getting caught in that web of confusion.

I don't believe that honour killings are any more acceptable there than they are here.  For instance, it could only be isolated groups, villages, sub-cultures than come anywhere near sanctioning honour killing.  But they can make the same case against us - that some subcultures - mafia, gangs, prison gangs, etc., approve of honour killings or are allowed to occur - sometimes on a frequent basis.  In fact, we are so afraid of it, we separate prisoners by crime type so they are not killed because they break the prison code of honour.

But in either case - murder is murder regardless of gender.

Another point, more for BCID.  Firstly, I appreciate your point of view and can agree with it to a large degree about organized religion.

However - the thought experiment 'of the reverse' is required when summing up the problems in the middle east.  That is, what would our reaction be if they did to us what we did to them.  Namely, going over there and basically saying that what you are doing - what you have been doing for the past 1000 years - is not right and in some cases plainly wrong.  Don't take the past 20 years as an example - take the past 150 or so that those areas of the world were subject to colonial and then imperialist interference.

We have to ask ourselves - who are we to think that out culture and our ways are superior?  What proof do we have?

When we talk about extremists - who cares about the puny Taliban when we have Right Wing so-called Christian groups more or less sanctioning the honour killing of doctors of abortion?

Sleuth

« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2009, 05:38:10 PM »

French Muslim woman barred from pool for donning head-to-toe 'burquini' swim suit

2 hours, 47 minutes ago

By Maria Danilova, The Associated Press
ADVERTISEMENT

PARIS - A Muslim woman garbed in a head-to-toe swimsuit - dubbed a "burquini" - may have opened a new chapter in France's tussle between religious practices and its stern secular code.

Officials insisted Wednesday they banned the woman's use of the Islam-friendly suit at a local pool because of France's pool hygiene standards - not out of hostility to overtly Muslim garb.

Under the policy, swimmers are not allowed in pools with baggy clothing, including surfer-style shorts. Only figure-hugging suits are permitted.

Nonetheless the woman, a 35-year-old convert to Islam identified only as Carole, complained of religious discrimination after trying to go swimming in a "burquini," a full-body swimsuit, in the town of Emerainville, southeast of Paris.

She was quoted as telling the daily Le Parisien newspaper that she had bought the burquini after deciding "it would allow me the pleasure of bathing without showing too much of myself, as Islam recommends."

"For me this is nothing but segregation," she said.

The issue of religious attire is a hot topic in France, where head-to-toe burqas or other full-body coverings worn by some Muslim fundamentalists are in official disfavour.

France is home to western Europe's largest Muslim population, estimated at 5 million, and Islam is the nation's second religion after Roman Catholicism.

A 2004 law banning the wearing of Muslim head scarves at public schools sparked fierce debate. That legislation also banned Jewish skullcaps and large Christian crosses in public classrooms.

French lawmakers recently revived the issue of Muslim dress with a proposal that the burqa and other voluminous Muslim attire be banned.

President Nicolas Sarkozy, a conservative, backs the move, saying such garb makes women prisoners.

The "burquini" covers the arms to the wrists and the legs to the ankle and has a hood to cover neck and hair.

An official in charge of swimming pools for the Emerainville region, Daniel Guillaume, said the refusal to allow the local woman to swim in her "burquini" had nothing to do with religion and everything to do with public health standards.

"These clothes are used in public, so they can contain molecules, viruses, et cetera, which will go in the water and could be transmitted to other bathers," Guillaume said in a telephone interview.

"We reminded this woman that one should not bathe all dressed, just as we would tell someone who is a nudist not to bathe all naked," he said.

Guillaume said France's public health standards require all pool-goers to don swimsuits for women and tight, swimming briefs for men - and caps to cover their hair. Bathers also must shower before entering the water.

Guillaume said Carole had tried to file a complaint at a local police station, but her request was turned down as groundless.

Carole told the daily Le Parisien she would protest with the help of anti-discrimination groups.

Emerainville Mayor Alan Kelyor said he could not understand why the woman would want to swim in head-to-toe clothes.

"We are going back in civilization," he said by telephone. Women have fought for decades for equal rights with men, he said. "Now we are putting them back in burqas and veils."

The suits have a clear market.

Women "jump on the occasion so they can swim with their families. Otherwise, they end up staying on the beach and watching," said Leila Mouhoubia, who runs an online site from France that specializes in the sale of Islamic swimsuits. Sales, she said, are strong.

"I think it's forbidden (in France) because it presents an image of the Muslim woman (and) they have prejudices against Muslims," she said by telephone. "They want women to be undressed."

Mouloud Aounit, head of the anti-racism group known as MRAP, said the decision to ban Carole from the pool appeared fair, since pool authorities were observing regulations. But Aounit lamented that the incident was likely to fuel religious tensions.

"The rules must be the same for everybody, regardless of the colour of their skin or their religion," Aounit said. "The concern I have is that this case will again lead to stigmatization of the Muslim population in France."

The all-body suits, worn regularly by some women in Muslim countries, are growing popular in the West. They can be seen on female Muslim lifeguards on Australian beaches, in the United States and various European countries, from the Netherlands to Sweden - which OKed them after two women won discrimination cases last year.

- -

Associated Press Writers Rod McGuirk in Sydney, Australia, Melissa Eddy in Berlin, Germany, Malin Rising in Stockholm, Sweden, Ian MacDougall in Oslo, Norway, and Toby Sterlin in Amsterdam, the Netherlands contributed to this report.

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2009, 04:33:20 PM »
This is just a ploy to be able to sue someone for money, in my opinion. Who would want to swim next to someone that had all that garb on them, it would be sickening. What about if there was a problem in the water and she had to be rescued, with all that garb. It was explained quite well, they won't let anyone naked in the pool and they do not want anyone with a whole bunch of clothing on, so they are the boss. Why can't these people just take the rules of a country, if they want to live there, live by their rules. We cannot go over to Israel or Iran and start acting the way we want, so "when in Rome, do as the Romans do". ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

Shwa

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2009, 06:18:50 AM »
"Why can't these people just take the rules of a country, if they want to live there, live by their rules."

Too bad the Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, English and French couldn't have had the same ideals when they settled the Americas eh?

The person in the swim suit above is a convert to Islam and France IS her "country."  Secondly, she chose to convert to Islam and she chose to wear the full body suit in keeping with her beliefs.  So what now - reduce the choices and freedoms of women if they don't meet your arbitrary standards of tolerance?

Have ever seen one of these suits?  Google: "muslim swimsuit" to get pictures.  These suits are not much different than the swimsuits that women wore in the West in the first half of the 1900's.

The reasons given by the French authorities to deny this swimsuit are stupid.  Like there are microbes on the fabric.  Gimme a break.  It's chlorinated water with a filtering system.  And how much more fabric in a Muslim swimsuit over a regular one piece women's swimsuit?  Twice as much?  Are they going to limit how many regular women's swimsuits are allowed in the pool for some ridiculous "microbe" factor once they reached a threshold of allowable fabric in the pool?

A totally absurd news story happening in one of those old empire countries that are trying to hold onto ideals that are century passed the best-before date.  But that is modern conservatism isn't it?

Sleuth

« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2009, 05:12:12 PM »
Here it goes again.  :( :( :( :( Sometimes, I think an Honour Killing is used as a excuse for killing someone and getting away with it. Kinda reminds me of Canada.  :P

Tue Sep 29, 11:55 AM

Three Jordanians kill sister over 'bad reputation'

AMMAN (AFP) - Three Jordanian men were charged on Tuesday with premeditated murder after allegedly stabbing to death their divorced sister as well as burning her body and house over her "bad reputation," police said.
ADVERTISEMENT

"The three brothers all under 30, agreed to kill their 40-year-old sister on Sunday because she allegedly had a bad reputation," in Abu Alanda, in southeast Amman, a police spokesman told AFP.

"She was stabbed 15 times. One of the three told police that the mother of five had a love affair with a man and that he found pictures of the woman sitting with her alleged lover."

The spokesman said the suspects "burned the victim's body and set ablaze her house to cover the crime."

"They were arrested at hospital after being treated for burns. They confessed to the murder," added.

Murder is punishable by the death penalty in Jordan but in the case of so-called "honour killings" a court usually commutes or reduces sentences, particularly if the victim's family urges leniency.

The US-based Human Rights Watch (HRW) urged Jordan earlier this month to reform its penal code, which it says condones the murder of women as "honour crimes."

In the past, parliament has refused to institute harsher penalties.

Around 15-20 women are murdered each year in Jordan in the name of honour, despite government efforts to fight such crimes. So far this year, there have been 16 reported.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/afp/090929/world/jordan_women_crime

Sleuth

« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2009, 03:33:22 PM »
Here's another country taken off my holiday list. That list is getting shorter and shorter.  :o :o

By Donna Abu-Nasr, THE ASSOCIATED PRESS, cp.org, Updated: October 7, 2009 8:30 AM
Saudi gets 5 years jail time and 1,000 lashes for bragging on TV about his sexual exploits

RIYADH, Saudi Arabia - A Saudi court on Wednesday convicted a man for publicly talking about sex after he bragged on a TV talk show about his exploits, sentencing him to five years in jail and 1,000 lashes, his lawyer said.

Talking about sex publicly is a taboo in ultraconservative Saudi Arabia.

Lawyer Sulaiman al-Jumeii said he plans to appeal the court's ruling and is confident the sentence against his client, which includes a ban on travel and talking to the media for five years after his release, will be revoked.

Al-Jumeii maintains that his client, Mazen Abdul-Jawad, was duped by the Lebanese LBC satellite channel which aired the talk show and was unaware in many cases he was being recorded.

"I hope you will not consider the case closed," the lawyer said. "I will continue pursuing the TV channel, even if no one stands by me, until it gets the punishment it deserves."

The program, which aired July 15 on LBC and was seen in Saudi Arabia, scandalized this conservative country where such frank talk is rarely heard in public. Some 200 people filed legal complaints against Abdul Jawad, who works for the national airline.

The program, "Bold Red Line," begins with Abdul-Jawad, dubbed a "sex braggart" and "Casanova" by the media, describing the first time he had sex at 14. He then leads viewers into his bedroom, dominated by red accessories, and then shows off blurred sex toys.

He is later joined by three male friends for a discussion on what turns them on.

Abdul-Jawad's lawyer maintains his client was referring to other people's sexual experiences and the toys were provided by the TV station.

The government moved swiftly in the wake of the case, shutting down LBC's two offices in the kingdom and arresting Abdul-Jawad.

The other three men on the show were also convicted of discussing sex publicly and sentenced to two years imprisonment and 300 lashes each, according to al-Jumeii.

The case itself was also tried before the wrong court, maintains the lawyer, who says it should have been heard by a specialized court at the Information Ministry qualified to issue decisions regarding editing, dubbing and other technical issues related to the case.

In his statement, al-Jumeii said the decision in the case was made "under pressure from public opinion" due to the media frenzy surrounding it.

He also said he will continue pursuing a lawsuit he has filed against LBC.

The kingdom, which is the birthplace of Islam, enforces strict segregation of the sexes. An unrelated couple, for example, can be detained for being alone in the same car or having a cup of coffee in public.

Saudis observe such segregation even at home, where they have separate living rooms for male and female guests.

http://news.ca.msn.com/world/cp-article.aspx?cp-documentid=22112196