Author Topic: Honour Killings in Canada  (Read 33532 times)

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
Re: Honour Killings in Canada
« Reply #105 on: March 04, 2012, 01:48:39 PM »

Re: Man who testified in Shafia trial shunned by family

There have been news reports of Mosques giving "talks" to their "congregation" about the fact that Honour Killings is not part of Islam, etc, etc. hmm.
Yet this man and his family are shunned by members of the Mosque?  Is this not "double speak" by the 34 Iman's?

I fear that Honour killings will be greatly "covered up", next time around - and few will ever step forward again.
Shunning by their own people - is disgraceful and yet packs a powerful lesson to other members who may think of stepping forward and speaking to Law Enforcement about anything period. They learn to tow the line with their unspoken code of ethics.  "Thou shall not squeal">

JB
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 02:04:16 PM by jellybean »

leonagleant

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 04, 2012, 05:21:48 PM »
I think the code of silence happens in all cultures, not just middle eastern. How else to explain the wives who don't come forward to turn in their murdering husbands until AFTER they are divorced? Protecting one's own nest at the expense of justice and safety in the community. Or the parents who would rather protect their sons than send them to jail for crimes they have committed. I'm sure we can think of many examples. The difference with this "honour" killing group is that they are still acting/thinking as if they live in a village and therefore the code of silence extends outside the immediate family through the whole "tribe" or group the size of a small village.

jellybean

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 23, 2013, 03:53:11 PM »
I agree with your post LG.  Regarding other murders, the  protecting of  their husbands, or sons.  It still remains- 2 wrongs do not make it right.   

It is not a given in most cultures to murder a family member because of their choice of dress, or in general young girls to have some freedom in modern behaviour, or they snuck off and married the wrong man by family standards, or refused to marry a man of the family's choice. When this happens in some families - the woman's life is placed in danger by the very household who raised them from the time they were infants.

How can a mother's love and a father's love change and murder them, and call it an Honour KIlling?

Are these people different from us? - when they hold a beautiful baby  girl in their arms, doesn't the love remain?  How can they look at their grown daughter's face and "turn the taps off"?I

This is a line of culture of which I will never get a grasp of.

If  a neighbour was aware that a woman's husband who lived next door was under suspicion of murder of his wife, or a daughter, or a son,  I would hope that they would co-operate when the police come knocking on their door. 

Honour killings are often very  hush hush.  Yes, (honour killings) will be brought up by their religious leaders as saying this is a no, no.  Meekly at best.   I get the impression that it is said to assuage the public.
This particular community needs to be told that is okay to speak up to the police, and not be shunned by their congregation. 

Time will tell - if these religious leaders give a very strong message to their "congregation" , and offer the SUPPORT that those within community who do  speak up, and not be afraid of being shunned, things might change..  LET THE RELIGIOUS LEADERS PLACE THEIR MOUTH WITH WHAT THEY MEAN.

So far, I haven't seen it.
Heard  only  a meek message by the leaders.

One cannot come over to our country and carry with them this terrible tradition of Honour Killing, albeit there are  a few that we are aware of.

No Canadian standard  exists by law or morals  to give the right of a family member to murder a daughter or a daughter-in-law because they did not follow the rules of their family standards.

God knows, we have to begin someplace.
Young girls  and the importance that they hold within  ALL  COMMUNITIES OF OUR NATION WE CALL CANADA?

It is a start.

JB
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 09:04:18 PM by jellybean »

leonagleant

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 24, 2013, 10:02:16 PM »
I hope some people will take the time to read the very chilling news story out of the UK that I posted in my last message above. After reading it myself it made me realize how far psychopathology is reinforced family-wide in the case of so-called "honour" killings.

jellybean

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 14, 2015, 02:36:00 PM »
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/shafia-family-honour-killings-new-trial-1.3270152

Shafia family members who killed 4 female relatives seek new trial

Father, mother, son say they are victims of 'cultural stereotyping' in Ontario Court of Appeal filing

By Sarah Leavitt, CBC News Posted: Oct 14, 2015 11:32 AM ET| Last Updated: Oct 14, 2015 12:44 PM ET

jobo

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 14, 2015, 04:20:35 PM »
I would say those killers have it backwards.  Their children and first wife are victims of the father's  and mother's cultural stereotyping.

If they win an appeal it will such a slap in the face to the Victims and us Taxpayers.  They need to rot in jail for their premeditated mass murder of their family, not to mention the children orphaned by this crime.

jellybean

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 16, 2018, 11:51:03 PM »
I respectfully disagree with this author who resents the tax payer carrying the expenses of this family in prison.  If the author had her/his way, they would be basking in freedom in their native Afghanistan.

This hardly sets an example that our judicial system is serious about such things as honour killers.   

Some might be encouraged to try it, and think they will get a free ticket home.

I am quite content with the thought that they will serve their time in our country for breaking our laws, and when our system is finished with them, returning them as senior citizens to their own country.

I doubt that the Afghanistan's have a welfare system in place for their citizens, and I doubt the claim that they will have to fear for their lives, other than where they can find their next meal to survive.

This family was given every opportunity in Canada to have a good life, and they took the law into their own hands and blew it.
They should serve their full time, and then and only then, be deported.

In any event, whatever their country metes out to them, should not be of a concern to us.
jb

« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 08:17:59 AM by jellybean »

Sap1

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 17, 2018, 03:44:11 PM »
I am quite content with the thought that they will serve their time in our country for breaking our laws, and when our system is finished with them, returning them as senior citizens to their own country.

I doubt that the Afghanistan's have a welfare system in place for their citizens, and I doubt the claim that they will have to fear for their lives, other than where they can find their next meal to survive.

ITA JB.