Author Topic: George Woodworth - missing for many years  (Read 15400 times)

Besani

• Searching for Kimberly McAndrew! August 12, 1989
    • View Profile
Re: George Woodworth - missing for many years
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2012, 07:46:40 AM »
Ok so I don't want to get your hopes up but I'm totally freaked out right now because I work at a restaurant and one of my best customers names is George Woodworth...he is about 60-70 years old...the next time I see him I'm going to ask him a few questions and get back to you.

lostlinganer

• Silence, in the face of injustice is complicity wi
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2012, 08:12:35 AM »
well worth the effort ....asking a few questions, but be tactful   ;)   ....maybe you've solved this Besani.  Could you causually step back with your cell phone or digital camera and get a pic..... or even save a "frame" of the restaurant's surveillance if they have one.   Good luck sweetie and "here's rootin' for ya".

Besani

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2012, 09:51:22 AM »
I will try my hardest to get a picture if possible. Oh and I looked at a map amd it's pretty much a straight drive from Oregon to where I'm located. Takes about 2 and a half days to be exact.

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2012, 10:12:12 AM »
My brother ran away from home in 1965, (from Oregon, USA) then crossed over into Canada, where he likely is today---or else he is dead.

His name is George Woodworth, and would be 62 years old.  He is quite tall---6'5 or 6'6, wears glasses, and might talk about a brutal family in Oregon. 

Hi Besani. Do you think the George Woodward that you've met fits this physical description? He is tall enough that it would stand out, I would think. With age he could now be a little shorter.

Besani

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2012, 01:54:32 PM »
As I remember he is quite tall, not exactly sure but if I can get close enough I'll compare his height to the doorway when he comes in. He does have glasses and not sure what his natural hair color is because it's grayish/white now.

advocate

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2012, 11:39:37 AM »
Oh my.....I have not been back to this board in quite some time, so this is the first time I have read most of your responses----your outpouring of support is absolutely overwhelming.  Seriously, it takes a lot to make me cry, but I am responding through tears.

Besani, I cannot comprehend what it might mean if you have truly found George after 47 years.  I received your PM---it's a good thing that this board forwards PM's to email accounts----is there a place to subscribe to the thread, so I can know when someone posts?

In answer to your questions---his hair was dark brown, and brown eyes.  Middle name is Edward.

You could ask him if he is from Bend, Oregon.........

Forever grateful for the wonderful humanity here....

John
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 07:56:44 PM by advocate »

SAP

« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2012, 02:15:27 PM »
Advocate, just to the bottom right of your post, underneath "report to moderator" is a click-on box "notify". Click on notify to receive messages when there are new replies. :)

leonagleant

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2012, 12:18:32 AM »
Did you ever find your brother Advocate?

advocate

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2012, 12:15:02 PM »
No, but I realized it was a complete shot in the dark--- I didn't hear anything further, so I guess the other individual who thought my brother might be a customer of his was mistaken. 

Thanks so much for your concern.

cana_nomad

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2012, 09:49:56 PM »
What province might he have gone to?

Did he enjoy being near water, mountains, snow, wide open spaces?  Did he like to fish, hunt, snowmobile, etc?

Did he ever mention any Canadian city growing up?

Might he have reason to go to Europe?  If he was able to prove to any EU country's embassy or passport issuer's office/consulate that he has European descent, for instance, he can easily get an EU passport and go to any EU member country.

Did he ever have a nickname or even mention a favourite name?

You say he played basketball.  If I read correctly, you said he has been gone about 47 years and would be in his sixties, putting him at about 17 at the time he left?  Was he skilled in one of the trades or able to do that kind of work?  what is the likelihood he eventually went on to a university/college?

This would really be a case for Unsolved Mysteries (I believe that show is still on but with a different host?) and/or a missing persons special run by W5 (they usually do those once a year or so).  Using popular social media sites (ie a Facebook page dedicated to finding him with all the relevant info and making it viewable to the public) would be a huge help here.

My common-law hubby works with computers if these are avenues you wish to explore and need help doing so.

Let's get your brother's whereabouts found!

changingcanada

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2012, 05:04:12 AM »
The media love these types of stories.  You are best to get in touch with local news stations, as that would also end up on their online news sites...so the best way to probably reach out to people in the province.  Global News or BC CTV News, as they are the most watched and CBC is the National news station and does have a local broadcast as well. 

http://www.globaltvbc.com/
http://bc.ctvnews.ca/
http://www.cbc.ca/bc/

The best thing to do would be to put together as much information as possible, before you even approach them.  Give the background story, any and all information you have available on your brother including his description and any scars etc, his likes and dislikes, any special hobbies or interests , does he smoke, favourite food,..anything and journalists also appreciate an accurate timeline of his life and his departure and conclude with a very brief emotional plea and a thank you.  Any images of your home or family from back in the day would be helpful as well.

Best of luck and let me know if you need any further information.

Besani

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2013, 06:48:10 AM »
The George Woodworth that I know apparently lives with a woman, possibly a wife?
I haven't been able to talk to him besides when he calls the restaurant for deliveries.
How should I go about asking him? I know his address and phone number but Im not sure what to do.

leonagleant

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2013, 08:55:45 AM »
Some time ago, I posted the names and contact info for several George Woodworths in Canada, but they were erased not doubt due to privacy concerns. You can find them on Canada411.com.  I find Canada 411 is an excellent way to find people on-line in Canada, though you won't find everyone this way as some people prefer not to be publicly listed in the phone directories I guess.

Although I can't speak for George's brother, I think you could try asking the George you know if he is was born in Canada or where he was born or where he's from originally, if you can work that into the conversation casually? You may be able to tell by his accent whether he is British, Canadian or American.

whodoiknow

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2013, 10:30:38 PM »
Hello Advocate: Just came across this thread tonight. Wondering if you ever found out anything about your brother. So sad! I agree that he may have changed his name, although he didn't have anything to hide, unless he didn't want to be found.

I was married to a George Woodworth (who was drowned forty years ago). I was actually just browsing to see if there were any news stories on that. My son is also George Woodworth. I was surprised to learn that there are at least two other George Woodworths in this area. One is a postal worker.

I do hope that you find your brother.

Regards
Rhonda