Author Topic: George Woodworth - missing for many years  (Read 16207 times)

advocate

• View Profile
George Woodworth - missing for many years
« on: July 09, 2009, 04:59:26 PM »
Hello,

My brother ran away from home in 1965, (from Oregon, USA) then crossed over into Canada, where he likely is today---or else he is dead.

His name is George Woodworth, and would be 62 years old.  He is quite tall---6'5 or 6'6, wears glasses, and might talk about a brutal family in Oregon.  We were both brutalized, and I got away two years later, but I have never heard from him in all these years.

Obviously, this is an absolute long shot---but one never knows where information might come from.  Most importantly, he needs to know that his abusers are now both dead.

Thanks for your time.

Sleuth

Re: George Woodworth - missing for many years
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2009, 05:33:28 PM »
Hi advocate. I'm sorry to hear of your childhood. Brutality from the people who are suppose to love and protect scars the soul and I hope you are doing okay. Does your brother have a middle name? Do you have a picture of your brother? Do you know whereabouts in Canada you last heard from him? Are you able to have an artist do a composite sketch of what he may look like now, and distribute it to all of the missing sites? Good luck, I really, really hope you find him. I just had a thought, did you write/call to the Social Security people. Maybe they can help you if he is collecting his benefits. I did a national search at the whitepages.ca and 300 Woodworth across Cdn came up. five in BC.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 05:47:04 PM by Sleuth »

MYSTIK

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2009, 08:30:29 PM »
I am so sorry to hear of the abuse and sincerly hope that all thats good in the world surrounds you and your brother.

advocate

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2009, 12:58:28 PM »
Thank you both for your kind comments---through the violence, fear, abandonment, and emotional torture, I managed to emerge and find my greatest desire is the one to help others----I suppose horror, and the thought of people experiencing it, always led me to a genuine concern for the welfare of others, and the desire to bring justice to the myriad travesties which abound in the world.  This, rather than wallow in self pity, a particularly loathsome condition.

I only have newspaper photos of him, playing basketball, taken in 1964----so, I don't think a reconstructive effort would work.  An associate of mine was able to gain access to the Social Security database, whereupon we discovered he had never used his card, and he was not in the death index.  This leads me to believe he adopted another identity---an easy matter in the late 60's in San Francisco----and the border crossing into Canada--(probably through Bellingham (to avoid the Vietnam War) was equally easy----he is likely assimilated into Canadian culture, and has perhaps become a citizen.  I would be proud if he were a Canadian citizen.  Being from the US does not exactly bring joy or a patriotic lump in the throat----we have abused the very doctrines meant to set us free--and will reap the consequences.

I am wondering if the newwspaper syndicate in Canada might pick up a short story, were I to write one.

That way, many people would read about him----I could get lucky.  Someone in Vancouver might recognize him as his neighbor.

How would I go about submitting a story like this? Where would I send the story?

Respectfully,

Advocate

lostlinganer

• Silence, in the face of injustice is complicity wi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2009, 03:21:39 PM »
advocate; I've read your thread...so sorry to read this happened to you and your brother.  I think it's a great idea to write a short story (just as your letter here) ...maybe elaborate a little more on your memories of your brother - you know! personal little insignificant details you might recall or remember hearing about him; and just google "Canadian Newspapers" ....and as you bring up each one, send your little story in Letters to Editor section.  ...nothing to lose really .... if only one or two papers print your letter, there's always a possibility that the others, syndicatedly, will pick it up and run it too - then possibly your brother, or someone who knows him, might just read it ...also; you might want to reach an honest detective and ask what he would do for a small fee.... one example is Peter Warren.

D1

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2009, 04:10:43 PM »
Good idea about the short story. Question, how were you able to know that he crossed into Canada? Did he have any talents, skills, interests, or training that would indicate what he may have taken up for employment? That may narrow his eventual location down a bit.

Bucke B

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2009, 05:26:42 PM »
Advocate,
D1 and lostlinganer are right; a story is a good idea. Why not try putting it on Scribd? It's the youtube for documents, real easy to use and makes sharing documents easy.

Sleuth

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2010, 01:43:32 AM »
Advocate; Please return and let us know how your search is going? Did you write your story and send it in to the papers?

stephanie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2010, 03:49:06 PM »
Hi;

I hope this helps. I also accessed the Canada 411 to see what would happen. I found two G Woodworths in BC. Both are in Victoria. One of them is quite likely a business G&T Woodworth, the other a G. B. Woodworth.  i know it is a longshot, but I would start with these two.

Sleuth

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2010, 04:03:02 PM »
Thank you sbg1752901, sometimes long shots turn out to be home runs.

stephanie

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2010, 04:47:31 PM »
Hi

Did you check out the victoria BC lead. As you said sometimes long shots do turn out to be home runs.

Also can you tel me what team your brother was playing for in the early 1960s. You said you had a newspaper picture of him in connection with some sports. I was wondering if that interest is an avenue to pursue

Stephanie

SAP

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2011, 01:08:56 AM »
Thank you both for your kind comments---through the violence, fear, abandonment, and emotional torture, I managed to emerge and find my greatest desire is the one to help others----I suppose horror, and the thought of people experiencing it, always led me to a genuine concern for the welfare of others, and the desire to bring justice to the myriad travesties which abound in the world.  This, rather than wallow in self pity, a particularly loathsome condition.

I only have newspaper photos of him, playing basketball, taken in 1964----so, I don't think a reconstructive effort would work.  An associate of mine was able to gain access to the Social Security database, whereupon we discovered he had never used his card, and he was not in the death index.  This leads me to believe he adopted another identity---an easy matter in the late 60's in San Francisco----and the border crossing into Canada--(probably through Bellingham (to avoid the Vietnam War) was equally easy----he is likely assimilated into Canadian culture, and has perhaps become a citizen.  I would be proud if he were a Canadian citizen.  Being from the US does not exactly bring joy or a patriotic lump in the throat----we have abused the very doctrines meant to set us free--and will reap the consequences.

I am wondering if the newwspaper syndicate in Canada might pick up a short story, were I to write one.

That way, many people would read about him----I could get lucky.  Someone in Vancouver might recognize him as his neighbor.

How would I go about submitting a story like this? Where would I send the story?

Respectfully,

Advocate

Advocate, how has your search materialized? Have you had any luck with your articles posted in Canadian newspapers?

I had done some googling before but didn't come up with anything else than already posted on the thread.
There's also Websleuths forum. I'm wondering if a  catchy title with the name your brother had last time you knew might work as Google picks up quickly. Even if your brother changed his name, he would be curious enough to open the link if he's into computers and surfing. Or friends of his may find it and let him know. If he left b/c of the abuse, but couldn't take you with him b/c he couldn't manage to look out for 2 people at a young age, he may be feeling guilty for leaving you in the situation. Who knows ... he may even be looking for you. You might even change the title of this thread to include his name and google will have it listed in no time.
I do hope you have good luck.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 01:26:38 AM by SAP »

superbee

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2011, 03:57:51 AM »
Advocate, how is the search going for your brother?  We care.

eyeswideopen

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2011, 10:44:24 AM »
advocate just an idea The Toronto Sun, and Vancouve sun are both newspapers that are well read I would try for articles in those two.  Hoping you will check back in here and update us on any thing you may have found and we can go from there.  How old was your brother when he crossed over into canada?  and a what point do you think he may have crossed over.  And I guess what is it that gives you the knowledge that he came to Canada.  Can you scan the photo from the paper and post it here?

justice

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2012, 11:04:33 AM »
Hi advocate, yours is truly a sad story, I was also thinking perhaps when you are writiing to your brother, you should include some of your history, such as how you had the strength to get away and what you accomplished in your life, such as did you have your own family, etc.  Perhaps your brother fears his escape brutalized you he probably suffers a survivor-type guilt, maybe seeing that you survived will help him and he may be more secure reaching out to you.  I know this is a longshot, but this is how I would feel.  I wish you all the best and hope your story has a happy ending.