Author Topic: Nina Coutrepatte - Murdered - Solved  (Read 12063 times)

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
Re: Nina Coutrepatte - Murdered - Solved
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2008, 01:06:15 PM »
I'm glad that this judge shows more common sense than the one that let Briscoe walk. This judge said that "There is a huge moral culpability in being a willing participant in such a plan". What about Briscoe who was 36 years old at the time? I don't understand why this is manslaughter at all even if it is on the high end of the scale.  I Thought that premeditated murder (which they have clearly said it was) was first degree. I am so glad that this horrible excuse for a human being will go to jail and not just for a couple years. The fact that she shows no remorse and is only sorry for herself makes me think she will be exactly where she belongs.

Adrian

• RIP Adrian (1953 - 2009)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2008, 07:45:06 PM »

Nina's Mom Peacha is a fighter for sure. I helped her long ago at a petition signing to get Briscoe retried, as well as having the juvinile tried as adults.What happened to her daughter, is something no mother, family should have to face.

Plus the fact of letting Briscoe go! >:( >:( That sicko drove the car, knew where to go, was at the mall, the act was already planned, and they found the "chosen one".He held her down, told her to shut up, and does not deserve to be walking.

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2008, 06:21:53 AM »
Yes I thougtt the same, premeditated murder. It seems unresonable to convict them of manslughter and to let one guy off.

Adrian

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2008, 02:15:51 AM »
Tried as an adult, now we gotta get that Briscoe. Teen, female, who helped slay Nina! :(

Plus family of Nina, speaked up. Yeah!!!

http://www.edmontonsun.com/News/Edmonton/2008/05/09/5524016.html

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2008, 10:04:23 AM »
I don't feel this is an appropriate sentence for what really should have been tried as first degree murder (totally premeditated). Just another soft judge with too many excuses for the perpetrator. So I guess you only get a tough sentence if you come from a good background and you've killed more than once?

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2008, 11:37:23 PM »
Let's be honest here. The reason why these judges are so soft on the criminals, was becasue the victim in there judgement was no one important.

NO WAY any of these murderes get such a low sentence if this was a brain surgeon, another judge, a teacher or even just a middle class stay at home mom. Becasue the victim was from a low rent area, the judge punished accordingly.

This is mega horrible!!!!!

Adrian

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2009, 12:38:56 AM »
Nina Courtepatte R.I.P. (((hugs)))

UPDATE:

By TONY BLAIS, COURT BUREAU

Alberta?s highest court has rejected the Crown appeal of a manslaughter conviction for a woman accused of murder in the sex slaying of 13-year-old Nina Courtepatte.

However, a dissenting opinion by one of the three judges on the Court of Appeal of Alberta panel ? who ruled he would have substituted the manslaughter conviction with one of first-degree murder ? gives the Crown an automatic right to appeal the decision to the Supreme Court.

According to the written decision released this morning, two of the judges upheld the manslaughter conviction for Stephanie Rosa Bird, 21, saying the trial judge did not err when she found there was an air of reality to the defence argument of abandonment.

?There is evidence on this record capable of supporting the defence of abandonment,? wrote Justice Ron Berger.

At trial Court of Queen?s Bench Justice June Ross ruled Bird was not guilty of first-degree murder because she had a ?change of intent? when she communicated to the other accused that she was leaving the scene to take Courtepatte?s friend to the car they were travelling in.

In his dissenting opinion, Justice Peter Costigan ruled Ross did err when she concluded there was an air of reality to the defence of abandonment and said the evidence was not sufficient to provide a foundation for the defence.

Costigan wrote Bird told the others she was leaving the scene of the golf course slaying because the friend was cold and ?did not need to see this,? and said this did not give evidence that she had had a change of intention.

He also disagreed with the majority?s opinion that it was a reasonable inference that Bird was fearful of the others.

?I conclude there is no evidential foundation for the defence of abandonment in this case,? said Costigan.

And, because the trial judge had ruled she was a party to first-degree murder, he said he would substitute the manslaughter conviction for one of first-degree murder.

Bird was sentenced to 12 years in prison in 2007 after being convicted of manslaughter, aggravated sexual assault and kidnapping for her role in the April 3, 2005, killing of Courtepatte.

Bird was 17 at the time of the slaying, but the trial judge ruled she could be named after making a decision to sentence her as an adult.

Court has heard Courtepatte was raped twice and viciously beaten to death with a wrench and a sledgehammer after being targeted as the ?chosen one? and lured from West Edmonton Mall to a golf course west of the city.

Ross found Bird had known of the plan to kidnap and kill a victim, had helped carry out the kidnapping, had been armed, had hit Nina with a wrench ? thereby initiating the group assault ? and had held Nina?s hands down while she was being raped.

Alleged ringleader Joseph Laboucan, 23, was convicted of first-degree murder in the slaying, but a new trial was ordered after he successfully appealed his conviction.

Michael Briscoe was acquitted of all charges in the case, but a new trial was ordered after the Crown successfully appealed the acquittal.

Michael Williams pleaded guilty to first-degree murder in youth court and was sentenced to life in prison with no parole for 10 years.

A woman who was 16 at the time of the slaying was convicted of second-degree murder and aggravated sexual assault and is still awaiting sentencing.

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2009, 01:50:58 AM »
Oh please let this get fixed at the supreme court! It is first degree, not manslaughter. This is a huge injustice.

Adrian

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2009, 12:56:10 AM »

Crazy, eh? Who do they think they are? And for crying out loud, lock Briscoe up.I feel like you. Lot's of twists and turns. I wonder when the trial for Ellie May Myer will be? I wonder who else took part...

R.I.P. Nina!(((hugs)))