Author Topic: Boyfriend guilty, body never found  (Read 3602 times)

Edsonmom

• View Profile
Boyfriend guilty, body never found
« on: June 20, 2009, 09:40:46 PM »
Boyfriend guilty, body never found

By NEIL BOWEN, SUN MEDIA

The London Free Press

SARNIA -- Thomas Moffit has been convicted of second-degree murder in the 2007 killing of his girlfriend, Shelley Mathieu-Read, whose body has never been found.

A Superior Court jury deliberated for only one hour yesterday before handing down its decision.

The speed of the deliberation was surprising, Sgt. Scott MacLean said.

MacLean and Sgt. John Pearce of the Sarnia police were interrogating Moffit's sister, Kathy Long, when she admitted that during a barroom conversation in May 2007 he'd confessed to the murder.

During Long's days of testimony, she said Moffit had told her he snapped Mathieu-Read's neck in the hallway of their Finch Drive apartment building in Sarnia.

A few days later, Moffit borrowed a truck, a shovel and a wheelbarrow from Long and disposed of her body in rural Lambton.

The search for her body will continue.

It'll be up to Moffit and his lawyer to determine if he will make any further comment about the location of her body, MacLean said.

Defence lawyer Jeanine LeRoy said she didn't discuss that possibility with Moffit following the verdict.

She had no comment on whether such a discussion has ever taken place.

Long testified Moffit had suggested in prior conversations he would dispose of a body at sites near Churchill Line, which runs from Sarnia to Middlesex County.

That area will continue to be the focus of the search.

Residents across rural Lambton and Middlesex are asked to contact Sarnia police if they notice anything unusual on their property, said MacLean.

"This case will never be over until we find Shelley and bring her home to her family," said Lambton Crown attorney Diane Foster.

Foster and Mathieu-Read's daughter hugged before the daughter left the building.

The daughter's victim impact statement will be presented during the Sept. 16 sentencing hearing.

The daughter's missing person report in late July 2007 started the investigation that ended with Moffit's arrest in London a month later.

Life in prison is the mandatory sentence that will be imposed, but Justice Joseph Donohue will determine when Moffit will be eligible for parole.

He will consider Moffit's character, the circumstances surrounding the murder and the jurors' recommendation in setting parole ineligibility, which can range from 10 to 25 years.

Ten of 11 jurors recommended no parole for 20 years and one said 22 years.

One juror was excused during the trial due to a family death. Moffit rejected the preparation of a pre-sentence report that would explore his background.

His criminal record, which includes convictions for armed robbery in 1993 and uttering threats in 2003, was filed with the court yesterday.
http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Crime/2009/06/19/9850751-sun.html

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
Re: Boyfriend guilty, body never found
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2009, 09:43:40 PM »
Ten of 11 jurors recommended no parole for 20 years and one said 22 years.

Wow! WHat a super great jury! 20 years for domestic murder is rare.... a conviction with no body is too. Glad this jury used some common sense. This makes me veyr happy!

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2009, 09:54:16 PM »
Well finally justice for someone that has been murdered by domestic violence. This is so sickening, to take a life just like that and just say, he snapped her neck. I do not know why there is so much violence in these relationships. If you don't want to be with someone, leave them, get another person in your life. The violence has to stop against female's in relationships. Now we are getting into the violence against children, which is escalating at a high rate of speed. No safety for children is really a scary place, they cannot do anything to get out of the situation. At least in a case of a boyfriend/girlfriend or wife/husband, they can leave if they feel they are in danger, but the defenseless child cannot do anything. Ordinary people kind of have to take note if children are in danger and kind of ask a few questions or report abuse. It may safe a child's life or a girlfriend or wife.  ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

lostlinganer

• Silence, in the face of injustice is complicity wi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2009, 10:33:19 AM »
This is an important post Edson - good observation getting this one up!  Capeheart is right - this should serve to remind us that the public could use a little extra vigilance in noticing that children are not "all that safe and loved" in this hectic society - and parents are not "all that protecting and loving as use to be" - probably because so many families are barely, if at all, surviving the extreme economic challenges - say nothing for the extreme interferences arrising from the facts that there are a multitude of "child pretators out there" in the form of "drug pushers - targeting little children on school grounds, pedophiles targeting children on the internet...especially in chat programs.  Even the movie business, the music industry, and fashion...  are targeting children...albeit through what the adult population is too busy and/or to liberal, to notice!  Therefore; it wouldn't hurt those of us, who are more vigilant to the happenings around us affecting the most helpless of society - the children - also, the aged.  For the past week, I've noticed numerous ads on local television depicting the abuse of seniors - in ways we don't even seem to notice.  It is certainly opening my eyes; and I intend to be more observing from now on as to this.  For example; when I read an article about drug pushers on school grounds; when I get an email about children influenced by violent video games, rock bands etc. - and it results in children acting recklessly - I take the time to copy/paste items like this and keep it on "My Space" for a while, because I have my page on "My Space" set up to notify readers every time I add something new.  Every little bit of vigilence helps. 
Also; if I'm picking up my grand-daughter at school, I deliberately take notice to everybody picking up children.  If I see a child reacting in any unusual way while being pickup up, I'll turn around to other people and say something like "Is that his/her father/mother?....or who is that kid?  ....in a nice way, mind you - it's just my way of making sure somebody knows everything is "normal".  I have no problem with being a "busy body" when it comes to these things.
Sorry if I got "off topic" a bit here!  What really is important here is the fact that the old legal loophole of "no body! no crime!" has really been brought to light here and will serve as another valuable precident.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2009, 10:42:52 AM by lostlinganer »

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2009, 05:09:16 PM »
Lost, a lot of good points there. There is more elder abuse then a person really knows. Especially in the form of taking the elders money away from them for drugs or giving them a hard time to get money out of them, pressuring them. This is something that is not brought to light enough and is more common then we think.  8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

PandaBearKitty