Author Topic: Barry BOENKE - 68, Susan TRUDEL - 50 - Murdered - June 2009  (Read 6216 times)

Edsonmom

  • Member
  • Posts: 790
    • View Profile
SHERWOOD PARK, Alta. -- A 14-year-old boy accused of killing two people in a random attack this week had earlier slipped away from a group home in Alberta, police said Wednesday.

The boy from Strathcona County, east of Edmonton, is facing two charges of first-degree murder after the bodies of Baldur (Barry) Boenke, 68, and Susan Trudel, 50, were discovered Monday on a rural property.

Both victims are from Sherwood Park, a suburb of Edmonton.

A second boy, also 14, has been charged with accessory after the fact to the murders.

"From our indications, it was completely random," RCMP Cpl. Darren Anderson said Wednesday.

The teens, who cannot be identified under provisions of the Youth Criminal Justice Act, are in RCMP custody.

Both boys were under provincial care at the Bosco Homes Agency.

Autopsies were conducted Tuesday, but investigators have not said how the man and woman were killed.

Police say the victims' families have been notified.

On Saturday, around 1:30 a.m. local time, the two teens were arrested for vandalizing a school in Ardrossan, about 25 kilometres east of Edmonton, police said.

They were taken back to the Strathcona County RCMP detachment and charged with mischief, break and enter and possession of stolen property.

The two boys were then released into the care of Bosco Homes, under the conditions that they not leave the property between the hours of 11 p.m. and 6 a.m. and be in the company of a worker if they did leave during any other hours.

The next day, while outside under supervision, the two boys slipped away.

"They were playing outside with the staff and suddenly two were gone," said Gus Rozycki, the executive director of Bosco Homes.

He said Bosco Homes is not a secure facility for incarcerated youth, but is strictly a child-welfare facility.

The boys were found Monday morning, after Edmonton police pulled a truck over in the city limits and arrested the pair after receiving reports they were driving carelessly.

When RCMP went to the rural home of the truck's owner, a relative said he had been doing yard work at a nearby home the day before and had not returned.

Police searched the nearby home and found the bodies.

"There were obvious signs of trauma to the bodies. There was blood at the scene," RCMP Const. Wally Henry said at the time.

The property where the bodies were found is slightly less than 10 kilometres from Bosco Homes.

The teens are scheduled to appear in court next week.

Although the teens have yet to be tried, opposition Alberta New Democrat member Rachel Notley called on Children's Services Minister Janis Tarchuk to launch a public inquiry given that the boys were in government care.

"This is a horrible tragedy, and unfortunately it's not the first to occur under this minister's watch involving children in her care," Ms. Notley said in a release.

People who live near Bosco Homes have raised concerns in the past about escapes but their concerns were not resolved, Notley said.

"What we're looking for is a full public inquiry into the system of child protection in Alberta -- a broad-based inquiry looking at systematic issues that impact on child protection services," she said.

But Ms. Tarchuk rejected the call for an inquiry and said an initial review of the case involving the two youths indicate that proper decisions were made and proper protocols were followed by staff.

"This is an absolutely tragic incident and my condolences go to the family and friends of the victims," she told the legislature. "We have taken an initial look at the decisions that surrounded that placement and found they were appropriate. We also have confirmed that the protocols surrounding the reporting of AWOL youths were also followed in that facility. There was never any indication that either of these youths was ever a risk to themselves or others, but obviously as we move forward with information we will continue to look at the situation."

Mr. Rozycki said the children at the group home have not been formally told of the deaths and charges, but will undoubtedly find out as word spreads through the media. He said staff are devastated.

"It's horrible. I've lived in this community for 30 years and any loss of life is a tragedy," he said.

Edmonton Journal
http://www.nationalpost.com/news/canada/story.html?id=1659522

jellybean

  • Member
  • Posts: 8204
  • Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
Re: Barry BOENKE - 68, Susan TRUDEL - 50 - Murdered - June 2009
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2011, 04:24:07 PM »


Homicide charges stayed against Bosco Homes teens
Couple found dead on Strathcona County property
 By Conal Pierse and Andrea Sands, edmontonjournal.com July 8, 2011 1:12 PM

EDMONTON - Charges have been stayed against two teens accused of first-degree murder for the double homicide of Susan Trudel and Barry Boenke.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 09:24:39 PM by jellybean »

Chris

  • Administrator
  • Member
  • Posts: 7215
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
Re: Barry BOENKE - 68, Susan TRUDEL - 50 - Murdered - June 2009
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2011, 10:16:23 PM »
I'm so sick of judges getting pickier and pickier about statements given by criminals to police. Until about 40 years ago, there wasn't really a standard, then they changed the standard to having police reading rights, and now more and more judges are placing even more restrictions on what statements by criminals can and cannot be used.

As far as I care, if a criminal talks about his or her crime to police, then that is evidence. I do not even care for reading rights to be honest.

Annastaisha

  • Member
  • Posts: 623
  • "Happy people just don't shoot their husbands..."
    • View Profile
Re: Barry BOENKE - 68, Susan TRUDEL - 50 - Murdered - June 2009
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2011, 08:03:05 AM »
I always ask, when does the victim get "rights"? It seems to be that our justice system is more concerned with how a murderer/rapist/pedo are treated that the real victims get victimized again and again by the system.

Trouble445

  • Member
  • Posts: 483
  • Worse than ignorance...... is indifference.
    • View Profile

SAP

  • Guest
Re: Barry BOENKE - 68, Susan TRUDEL - 50 - Murdered - June 2009
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2011, 01:29:57 AM »
Our justice system is a total disgrace. I hope this family make a huge noise over the case. Just think of the empowerment these boys will be feeling getting away with a double murder. Unbelievable!!

Annastaisha

  • Member
  • Posts: 623
  • "Happy people just don't shoot their husbands..."
    • View Profile
Re: Barry BOENKE - 68, Susan TRUDEL - 50 - Murdered - June 2009
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2011, 09:56:40 AM »
Its no wonder that we breed better criminals within our justice system rather than stop them  >:( >:( >:(

jobo

  • Member
  • Posts: 3633
    • View Profile
Re: Barry BOENKE - 68, Susan TRUDEL - 50 - Murdered - June 2009
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2011, 11:13:07 AM »
I hear you....there is a case in my neck of the woods, not murder, but a vicious sexual assault on a 4yr old girl, by a young offender.   He has been in jail since arrested, but last I read in the paper was that "they" were slowly coming to a resolution, with all the court appearances.   What the hell?   
I am sorry, but these guys need to spend a fairly long time in jail.  Being young does not give them the right to get off easy.   There is something very very wrong with guys that attack defenseless members of our society.   They need to pay.

jellybean

  • Member
  • Posts: 8204
  • Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
Re: Barry BOENKE - 68, Susan TRUDEL - 50 - Murdered - June 2009
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2011, 04:25:23 PM »

Is this a case of forensic screwup? A judicial screwup? - or were these boys in the wrong place at the wrong time - and the RCMP have not looked any further, than these two boys?  Could it be someone else, and will the RCMP continue with this investigation and look at other avenues??

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/Police+lacked+evidence+linking+teens+killings/5480268/story.html

Police lacked evidence linking teens to killings
Court documents show why charges were stayed against Bosco runaways
 By Alexandra Zabjek, edmontonjournal.com September 30, 2011


EDMONTON -
One of the teenagers readily admitted he had stolen the truck, and that he had a set of keys in his pocket and a BB gun in his waistband.

He was soon charged with two counts of first-degree murder, while the other teenager was charged with being an accessory after the fact. By the end of the preliminary inquiry in 2010, both teenagers were facing charges of second-degree murder.

Despite an extensive search that saw officers using quads to scour ditches, trails and roadways, the murder weapon was never found.

azabjek@edmontonjournal.com
« Last Edit: October 01, 2011, 04:29:43 PM by jellybean »

SAP

  • Guest
Re: Barry BOENKE - 68, Susan TRUDEL - 50 - Murdered - June 2009
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2011, 12:38:18 AM »
How convenient that the other two adult males were overnighting elsewhere that night. They had time to make their stories while the teen boys were being questioned.
It really does not sound as though the two boys did the murders; even though we hear very little of the evidence, I couldn't imagine 2 young boys like that being so very careful to remove all blood traces and gun residue. One person at least should have had alot of blood on them.
Someone is getting away with murder and it doesn't sound like it's the two boys. What gets me is that police knew early on that the boys didn't have blood nor residue on them, and they continued after the boys. They didn't search further while the trail was still hot?
« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 12:42:07 AM by SAP »


debbiec

  • Administrator
  • Member
  • Posts: 4776
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
Re: Barry BOENKE - 68, Susan TRUDEL - 50 - Murdered - June 2009
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2016, 09:53:42 AM »
Seven years after murder of Barry Boenke, his widow has decided to move on
ou'

By Janice Johnston, CBC News  Posted: Jul 18, 2016 6:00 AM MT| Last Updated: Jul 18, 2016 6:00 AM MT



Seven years after her partner was murdered, Judy Breitkreitz has decided it's time to move on.

Barry Boenke and Susan Trudel were found bludgeoned and shot to death in June 2009, in what police described at the time as "random" murders on an acreage near Ardrossan, east of Edmonton.

The murders have never been solved.

Just hours after the bodies were found, police arrested two 14-year-old boys who were wards of the province and had gone missing, not long before, from the nearby Bosco Homes facility for troubled teens.

The teenagers were charged with two counts each of first-degree murder.

Despite a long and controversial journey through the justice system, no one was ever convicted of the murders.

In 2011, Breitkreitz launched a $900,000 civil lawsuit against the provincial government, Bosco Homes and the two youths charged with murders. 

She quietly dropped the lawsuit three months ago. 

"I chose to discontinue that suit simply because the time had come to just let it go, get over it and move on," Breitkreitz told CBC News.

'If you know there's not going to be an answer, there's no point. It eats the inside of you, and I won't allow that to happen.'

- Judy Breitkreitz

"There was no conviction or anything like that. I guess you can beat this stuff to death for as long as you want to. But there has to be a day when enough is enough."

Breitkreitz said she still misses Boenke very much, but thinks he would want her to move on. Now she is resigned to carrying on with no accountability or definitive answers. 

"It's difficult but you have to get control of your life and move on," she said. "You can't dwell on it. If you know there's not going to be an answer, there's no point. It eats the inside of you, and I won't allow that to happen."

The widow insisted the lawsuit was never about money.

She wanted to find someone to "claim responsibility" for her partner's murder. She continues to blame Bosco Homes and the justice system. Though the case against one youth collapsed because of a botched Mr. Big Sting conducted by RCMP, Breitkreitz has nothing but praise for the Mounties. 

"I have the greatest respect for the RCMP. I really feel, had it not been for them, it never would have gotten to the point of the trial."

Sympathy for the McCanns

Breitkreitz has watched the Travis Vader murder trial with sympathy for the victims' family. Lyle and Marie McCann disappeared six years ago and their bodies have never been found.

"My heart goes out to them," she said. "Any death is hard, but at least I knew there was a death, I knew there was a body. They have lost their parents and don't know why or where. Their parents may never be found."

Breitkreitz said the McCann mystery did not prompt her to drop her lawsuit. 

She just decided she and her partner's family "had been through enough."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/seven-years-after-murder-of-barry-boenke-his-widow-has-decided-to-move-on-1.3680220

Sap1

  • Member
  • Posts: 1221
    • View Profile
Re: Barry BOENKE - 68, Susan TRUDEL - 50 - Murdered - June 2009
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2016, 10:15:19 AM »
No accountability, thanks to the justice system. The boys are now at age 21. I do wonder if Bosco homes helped them at all and whether they turned their lives around, or whether they have ended up in some street gangs.
Meanwhile society keeps on going, with many totally dysfunctional family units procreating and leaving homes like Bosco to try and straighten out the faults of the parents who didn't think there was more to having children than just having them.