Author Topic: Lizzie Tomlinson - May 24, 1980 - Age 6 - Murdered - Toronto  (Read 70854 times)

Coral

Re: Lizzie Tomlinson - May 24, 1980 - Age 6 - Murdered - Toronto
« Reply #90 on: August 16, 2011, 03:37:55 PM »
I question the desription of the abductor that was given by children in the park.  Studies have shown that children`s descriptions are often unreliable.  In one study, a man walked into a classroom with children and a teacher present.  He wandered around the room, but said nothing to anyone, and did not touch anyone or anything.  When he left, another adult came in and questionned the children.  There were a variety of reports from the children about his description, his behaviour, etc.  The questionning techniques also influence the information that children provide.  There would be different answers if one asked kids `Did he touch anyone`` or `How many of you were touched by him.`` I wonder who questionned the children that were in the park, the day Lizzie was abducted, and were they interviewed in isolation, or in the presence of other kids, after hearing other responses. I wonder how reliable the composite really is...

gepplay

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 02, 2012, 10:11:01 AM »
Just found this site and joined.
Looking for contact info for the police to call and ask about Lizzies case. I'm her cousin. Still don't understand how the cig butts are missing and want to ask about that - Aswell as asking about dna collection from the rape kit / cig butts - to retest them. TIA

mindhunter

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 02, 2013, 03:47:44 AM »
Just read the book by Greenspan where he talks about defending Lizzie's accused killer at the preliminary hearing, Greg Guerin.  He mentions in his book that there were two blood smears on his shirt matching Lizzie's blood.  At the prelim hearing, Greenspan argued that Lizzie often scratched herself and that she could have bled from this and wiped some of this blood on Guerin's shirt when hugging him.   The cigarette butts found at the murder scene were the same brand smoked by Guerin, but it could not be concluded that Guerin had smoked those particular cigarettes, or that the butts at the scene were even left there by Lizzie's killer, since the brand was a popular one in that area and lots of transients frequented the area.

Greenspan says he thinks Guerin is innocent because he was too mentally child-like to commit such a crime.  I am leaning towards agreeing.  However, there is evidence that Guerin became angry and punched his mailbox once when being questioned by police, and also that he had tried to commit suicide during all of this negative publicity. 

I'm really torn, some witnesses say it couldn't have been Guerin, others say it was him.  The blood smears sounds pretty incriminating, but I just cant see Guerin - who seems so simpleminded - as being able to lure Lizzie and commit such a vicious crime.  Also, to my knowledge Guerin has never been convicted of any other crime since Lizzie's death.. how could such a monster go on without ever committing any other crime?

Also, nobody could recall Guerin having a beard in the time before Lizzie went missing.

I'm really torn, but I have this feeling it was someone else.  Someone much more evil and cunning than Guerin. 

leonagleant

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 02, 2013, 10:16:51 PM »
From what little you have said I would assume it more likely was him than was not. There is another case on this website of a simple minded man killing a juvenile and getting away with it for years though now arrested again. Simple minded can mean innocent or it can just mean stupid and with no conscience or impulse control.

TLG

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 03, 2013, 08:59:55 PM »
With the technology we now have, did they not consider testing for DNA on the cigarettes, or did they dismiss the cigarettes and not put them into evidence. Just my opinion...After taking psychology and psychopathology never underestimate anyones capabilities...too many people with mental health issues are getting away with way too much...I work with those who have intellectual disabilities and I am telling you they are smarter than what given credit for.

Also if Lizzie was seen walking with this person holding hands and not struggling to get away leads me to believe she knew her killer, and is it not possible that she did struggle with him while this poor angel was being attacked leaving the blood on his shirt.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 09:19:06 PM by TLG »

leonagleant

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 15, 2013, 09:50:16 AM »
good points - what about further DNA testing - did investigators have access to that technology  to the degree we do now? Possibly not and they dropped the ball. If they saved the cig butt, more testing could now be done though.

Also since this suspect is a family member (cousin), I believe that someone in Lizzie's family would have a good sense by now whether he was guilty or innocent. He should not have had Lizzie's blood on his shirt though, that seems an unlikely occurrence for an innocent party. Cuts or no cuts, she was unlikely to have open sores as a child running around that would transfer to the cousin's shirt during a hug. I'm not convinced the blood on the shirt was an innocent thing.

daniellesmom

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 05, 2013, 10:48:54 PM »
I just do not understand why there is still not more coverage on this sad sad case.  Why are the police NOT going back and examining the old evidence more thoroughly now that our scientific research has come so far.  Since I read this case week on this site, I cannot get it out of my mind.  It haunts me, and I am not even her family, therefore I cannot imagine what her mom and dad have been going through all these years.  Is there ANYTHING we can do to get this case put on the FRONTburner, and not the BACKburner with the police?  I want to help any way I can.... :'(

Chants

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 24, 2013, 08:08:51 AM »
Hi all, I am back.  For some reason I could not get access to the site, but I guess it was just my pc.  This poor little girl, I keep coming back to this case.  I agree with all that has been said about Geurin and the blood transfer.  Seriously, how hard did she scratch herself to transfer blood onto his shirt.  I am a little rusty on the particulars, but Lizzie did not see her cousin that day?! So  does he not wash his clothes.  Honestly.  And yeah, did the police lose those butts?  Surely they must have evidence stored.  To me it just seems like they are not too interested in this cold case.  I only found a few articles on LT's case and that was just after she was murdered.  There are not really any follow up stories! 
And just a suggestion, but the people who went to the park that day, would it be possible for them to go for hypnosis?  I can still clearly remember certain places that I went to as a young child.  And anything that is stored in our subconscious is there, just needs some motivation to come out.  Surely then someone can remember something. 
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 08:20:40 AM by Chants »

Chants

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 25, 2013, 02:50:00 AM »
This site does more for those poor children missing or murdered than any law enforcement or publisher.  We care and we want justice.  And I am on my mission again to try and find as much info as possible. And when I start digging I tend to find what I am looking for.  Lizzie, Christine, and all the other victims did not deserve to die the way that they did.  Somewhere there is someone that knows more than what they have told anyone, so come on it is time to come clean.  Even call the police station with an anonymous tip, just do something.  PLEASE.

Chants

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 07, 2014, 03:24:13 AM »
Hi, I am still wanting to find out if there is still DNA evidence in this case and if it has been tested again.  With the ever evolving technology surely there could be a hit.  The **** that killed this little girl must have killed again, or even committed another crime?  Does anyone know of have anything new to add?

« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 06:48:56 AM by Chants »

Chants

• View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 19, 2015, 06:50:27 AM »
 :'( Sunday it will be 35. Heartbroken for her family and friends that there are still no answers.

Chants

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 10, 2017, 07:19:33 AM »
36 Years in two weeks, and still nothing.  Been trying to find out from cold case detective about any DNA from Lizzie's case, it has been a year and still nothing from the detective.  Also know that a family member inquired about DNA and they were also left with the "we will have to check" Just say no, I personally think that nothing was left after the first court case.   :'(