Author Topic: Lizzie Tomlinson - May 24, 1980 - Age 6 - Murdered - Toronto  (Read 70853 times)

Woodland

• View Profile
Re: Lizzie Tomlinson - May 24, 1980 - Age 6 - Murdered - Toronto
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2009, 07:53:11 AM »
Des - a reasonable person would consider other victims are possible.  If someone had the impulse and enough rage to carry this out in the manner they did on that particular day, and got away with it for a length of time, what would stop them from doing it again?

Something in this persons past sparked him to commit this atrocity, and killing Lizzie would not have fixed the problem.

I do not agree with Det Bob Wilkinson of Toronto Homicide that the 'methodology' must be the same in 2 or more killings - it need only be similar.  The manner in which these girls were disabled - blows to the head with enough force to break facial bones - the brutality to their bodies and time spent committing the brutality - outdoors, before and after death is similar.

The Lizzie Tomlinson case is still missing from Toronto Homicide cold case website and Det Wilkinson did not remember during our conversation where she was taken from - only where she was found - but insists he is familiar with the case.  Time does cause one to forget details.

Woodland

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2009, 10:38:44 AM »
Des - to answer your question on the DNA Databank - there are 2 databanks running together.  One is for DNA profiles collected from crime scenes.  The profiles are compared within this database on a regular basis to see if a match can be found to other crime scenes.

The other is the offender database.  The profiles in that one are compared on a regular basis to to the crime scene database to see if a match can be found.

The only profiles that these systems can accept are PCR-STR tests - technology that became available around the end of 1996 and was phased into the RCMP and Centre of Forensic Science labs during 1997.

DNA profiles obtained before 1997 had to be done again, with an available sample, using STR technology in order to be compatible with the databank system.  The key change was the markers identifying an individual - they are not the same.  It would be like tying to read a cassette tape in a CD player.  Nothing wrong with the cassette tape - you just need a cassette player to go with it.

The databank became operational in June 2000, following approval in parliament 2 years before.

It's a great tool if all offenders could be put into the databank.  If some are not caught and their profile is never entered into the databank - then you have nothing.

For profiles that cannot be entered due to technology restraints, a manual comparison is required - but the kicker is, one has to have the same old test performed on a new suspect.  These kits have not been available for quite some time, according to Lakehead University in Thunder Bay and Promega Corp in Chicago.

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2009, 12:21:47 PM »
Very good information on the DNA Databank Woodland. I had requested some information on that subject and have since received a reply so will post it here.   

When unknown offender DNA evidence is gathered, it is put in the "Unknown Offender Data Bank" and held there indefinitely.  That could be DNA collected from any crime scene (murders, rapes, break and enters, etc).  That DNA continuously scans for matches with other unknown DNA and will link the DNA together into clusters if it finds a match. As an example, this may show that the same person raped more than one victim from separate cases.  Same unknown offender, totally separate cases but we have a link.     

When a person is ordered to give a DNA sample when convicted of a DNA designated offence in Canada (such as any violent crime and most property offences), there known DNA goes into the "Known Offender DNA Data Bank".  The program continuously runs a comparison with the Unknown Offender Bank DNA.  As an example, a person is picked up on a Break and Enter and is ordered to give a DNA sample. Once the sample is obtained it is entered into the Known Offender DNA Data Bank.  We now have a known sample of DNA in the system.  The program goes to work and starts comparing his DNA to the Unknown Data Bank.  If his DNA had ever been collected on an unsolved crime, it will link it and a hit is generated.  This may mean a person may be picked up on a fairly miner occurrence and be linked to one or more very serious offences. 

We now have millions of known and unknown samples on file.  The comparisons are done at such a speed that the hits are almost instantaneous. 

The system is awesome and many cold cases have been solved through this technology. 

Fraser

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2009, 03:45:43 PM »
This is really interesting to know...I had no idea that our system had gotten to that point. I would imagine it will lead to more cases being solved, if the DNA is on file.
Thanks for explaining all of that.

D1

Sleuth

« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2009, 12:19:50 AM »
No one, but no one, does this to a little girl and gets away with it. The walls are closing in on you, you coward. I'm coming after you, you sick flock. That is my mission. You had better get down on your knees and start praying that the police get to you first.

Woodland

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2009, 04:56:00 PM »
Please see my post under Robert Brown - Missing 3 August 1968, Wilfrid, Ontario - Barrie.

Sleuth

« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2009, 05:07:26 PM »
Oh dear...........there seems to be discrepancies between what we know to date and what the archive newspapers say. As in wrong dates of disappearance?

I will post the Tuesday, May 27th, 1980 Toronto Star from the archives. And as we all can see the date is different. The article is in a PDF Adobe format, on the front page, with a sketch of the suspect, a picture of the family. and of little Lizzie.  The newspaper states her full name as Elizabeth Jane Tomlinson, not Jean as stated in the Thesis under this thread.
Also a interesting item is to do with the suspect and I quote, "The Police are looking for a tanned and husky bearded 'pervert' who lured Lizzie to her death. An autopsy has found that the girl was sexually attacked and then strangled." end quote.

another quote, 'he had neat hair'. He certainly does have neat hair.

I had a pre determinded picture in my mind of this man, so I was rather shocked to see the picture of the suspect. He is wearing sunglasses, so eye colour can not be determined. 

Lizzie was lured away by the offer of an ice-cream cone.  :'( :'( :'( :'(

« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 05:30:04 PM by Sleuth »

Sleuth

« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2009, 05:45:29 PM »
And in the Wednesday May 28th, 1980 is the revised sketch of the perp. Along with a forensic analyze of the type of person who would do this to a little girl. Yep he is called a 'loser '.

Sleuth

« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2009, 06:03:33 PM »
And here is the continuing page A03 of the Toronto Star. There is a write up of another little girl who was bothered by this man on Friday. She went to the store to buy smokes for her dad and the man offered her money and followed her around. She became frightened and ran home. Another little girl recounts how she was swinging on the swing being pushed by little Lizzie when the man stepped in and pushed her higher. There is also another forensic analysis of this man. This is a good read.

lostlinganer

• Silence, in the face of injustice is complicity wi
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2009, 06:07:08 PM »
I hope the creep gets mobbed before he gets to trial.

Sleuth

« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2009, 06:36:35 PM »
Woodland, throw out the anchor, put on the brakes, some revisions for you.

Here is the May 29, 1980 Toronto Star. Little Lizzie's funeral. I must admit the Police did an outstanding job looking for this sicko. But he is still elusive, for now. The Reverend made a poignant speech. The words still stand today. I noticed during that era the police and the Reverend used the words 'sex pervert', whereas today the word 'suspect' is used. What a difference.
Little Lizzie had blond hair and green eyes, and was a very tiny little girl.  However she went missing on the Saturday and was found on the Monday. Even tho the area where she was found had been searched a couple of times, she was missed due to having to peer through the bushes and she was buried under, earth, weeds, lumber and railway ties. She was well hidden. I'm trying to find if the time she went missing match up. Since she left with the, and I quote the good Reverend, sex pervert during the late afternoon.

Sleuth

« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2009, 06:58:44 PM »
Well now! The killer has blue eyes! As the Forensic Astrologer mentioned. And he roamed the area for four days. The little girl whom Lizzie was pushing on the swing before the perv took over was Lizzie's sister. I must say that I am impressed with the extensive search the Police did in trying to find this sick flock. Not only did they extend their search area to Southern Ontario but sent the suspect's sketch out across Canada. And plains-clothes officers mingled with the 500 attendees at Lizzie's funeral. They also hunted down sex predators who were recently released from psychiatric hospitals. This is another good article. Too bad journalists today don't take the time to investigate and write informative articles like they used to. This is the first time that the perp is mentioned as being left-handed, and weights between 160 and 180 lbs. Also the city was in such an uproar about what happened to Lizzie that a mob of 300 were ready to string a man up who looked like the perp. The outpouring of Toronto uniting to find this sick flock is unbelievable. And yet little Lizzie faded into history.  
« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 01:28:15 AM by Sleuth »

Fraser

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2009, 07:05:44 PM »
It makes me sad that I don't remember this little girl's case. I usually do remember them...when I read about what this *#*$ did to her, I wanted to cry. I would imagine the police and reporters felt the same way. I might have missed it in the thread somewhere, but, did anyone ever do a follow-up news report in recent years?
Thanks

Sleuth

« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2009, 07:20:42 PM »
Hi Fraser, there was a very small blurb in last years paper, the Toronto Sun, which ran an article on the unsolved children's crimes. That is when little Lizzie came to my attention.

Here is the article for May 30th,1980. There are pictures of the family, from the funeral and it turns out that the 11 year old girl, who was one of the people to give a description of the sick flock, and whom the perv tried to bribe with money is Lizzie's oldest sister. There was four girls in the family, three now.  :'( :'( :'( :'(

The write up of the funeral brought tears to my eyes, especially when the second oldest sister of Lizzie ran back to collect an arm full of flowers and cradled them as she entered the car before it left the cemetery.  The pain on this family's face is unmeasurable.

Also now the Police believe the perp has left the city. And men who have shaven off their beards are being turned in to Police by their neighbours. That doesn't happen anymore.