Author Topic: Lizzie Tomlinson - May 24, 1980 - Age 6 - Murdered - Toronto  (Read 70885 times)

Desespere

Lizzie Tomlinson
DOB:
COD: Strangled
Date last seen: May 24, 1980
Location last seen: Toronto, ON
Date found: May 26, 1980
Location found: Toronto, ON

Lizzie's case appears briefly in the following article posted on yahoo news May 21, 2009. The article speaks of various children murdered in the Toronto area over the past 32 years. These are murders similar to Tori's, which is why I assume the article was written.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/torsun/090521/canada/faces_of_innocents_lost

Lizzie's case was also published on websleuths, which is another forum and I don't repost from other forums. The information
seems to still be current, although I haven't found any other references to Lizzie's murder. I have no other link to information in my database for Lizzie's murder

The information at websleuths is pretty detailed.
http://websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2326675
Post three is about Lizzie.

Silverdog

• View Profile
Re: Lizzie Tomlinson - May 24, 1980 - Age 6 - Murdered - Toronto
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2009, 07:25:38 PM »
Oh, this one is horrible! I wish they would re-open it. That person is beyond sick, to do that to a little girl and leave her to die that way.

Sleuth

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2009, 07:41:01 PM »
re: little Lizzie Tomlison.
If someone is that vicious to a little girl, the odds are he will do it again. Has anyone come across anything similar to other girls/women over the years?

Sleuth

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2009, 12:31:10 AM »
Oh my God! That many children!? It makes the heart cry enough tears to form a lake. The Lake of Tears.

Woodland

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2009, 07:14:21 PM »
The brutality to Lizzie Tomlinson and the time spent with her by her killer stands out like few other cases.  I was surprised to find her case missing from the Toronto Police Cold Case website so emailed them today to ask that she be added so as not to be forgotten.

Lizzie is the first of 3 young girls in one decade to be brutalized in a way that took her killer much time and much effort.  The other 2 are Christine Jessop, Oct 1984 and Leah Sousa, Sep 1990.

I spoke to Detective Bob Wilkinson of Toronto Police Homicide today to report that I know of 1 if not 2 members of the same family that had reason to be present at the time and location of the Tomlinson and Jessop abductions.  This is a pretty narrow scope - Christine Jessop was abducted in Queensville, a town of only 700 in 1984.  How many residents did Queensville have in 1980 and how many of them would or could have been in Toronto on the May long weekend?  After narrowing those odds, how many had a family member that worked a short distance west of Lizzie's abduction site and likely lived not to far away?  I say 1 maybe 2 families out of less than 700 people.

Det Wilkinson was familiar with both cases and informed me that the methodology was different between the Tomlinson and Jessop brutality, therefore indicating different killers.  I begged to differ - the brutality and length of time spent with the victims by the killer is rare - as rare as knowing a family from a really small town that could have been in both places.

Det Wilkinson ended the conversation before I could get to Leah Sousa in Cumberland Beach in 1980.  Apparently he will get back to me shortly.  I may not be 100% accurate, but wish some cop would say so.

On 9 April 1998 Justice Kaufman released a report on the bleak condition of the Canadian justice system - a report that cost 1 or more million dollars to produce.  He warned all in law enforcement - never, ever get bogged down with tunnel vision - innocent people go to jail and the guilty go free.  Has that expensive lesson been learned?

Sleuth

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2009, 01:25:20 AM »
On 9 April 1998 Justice Kaufman released a report on the bleak condition of the Canadian justice system - a report that cost 1 or more million dollars to produce.  He warned all in law enforcement - never, ever get bogged down with tunnel vision - innocent people go to jail and the guilty go free.  Has that expensive lesson been learned?

No Woodland, the police have not learned that lesson. I don't think they are trained properly, in specific homicides, especially of children. I have said it before and I will say it again. There should be a special police [sic] force trained especially for his type of crime(s), not only against children but adults also. And brought in the moment a very violent crime occurs. Since the 'regular' police, meaning they generally only deal with druggies, robberies, and such don't know what to do, where to start and screw up badly with evidence. Not all police are like that. But it takes a very special Police Officer/detective to be determined enough and dogged enough to bring a perpetrator of evil to Justice. Not only for the victim but for the family. No parent wants to go their grave still wondering why the murderer of their child has not been caught. And knowing that the person not caught is still out there and may commit another crime. And why? Because he can. He got away with it once and will again if not stopped. 

Sleuth

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2009, 12:05:20 AM »
I was looking for something and tripped over a thesis on 'Stranger-Danger' written by Hollis F Johnson for a partial fulfillment of the requirements for the degree of Arts (Criminology in the School of Criminology; Simon Fraser University, April 1988)
I will put the link at the bottom. It is a good read. However one of the most interesting parts can be found on pages 74-75-76 and 100. which deals with little Lizzie.

There are statements made after little Lizzie was found by a person, who's name is mentioned, but I won't put it up, in the Toronto Sun on May 29, 1980 who lived two blocks from the park where Lizzie was taken. Also another statement made by another man who lived on Queen Street, taken from the Sun newspaper on May 27, 1980, and also a statement made by one of little Lizzie's relatives. His name is there, and little Lizzie is his great niece. What he had to say to reporters as he walked away from Lizzie's funeral resonates, and is still voiced today when a little one goes missing and is found murdered.

A couple of the most interesting items was the fact that, on page 75, the cabbie who said he had taken a bearded man, and a little girl who looked like Lizzie, and dropped them off in the area where Lizzie was found gave a detailed description of the bearded man to the police, who had a composite drawing made and was released and published in all the Metro Toronto newspapers.

Where is the composite sketch?

Another interesting headline is "Girls Killer may strike again' says Sgt Gary Leitch, who worked on little Lizzie's case.

One of the most startling items was that two cigarette butts was found at the scene of the crime.
Which was 'Players Light' cigarettes
Which is on page 100. The Star newspaper June 7, 1980
(I wonder if that piece of evidence has been lost?)

Also the same type of cigarettes was smoked by little Lizzie's cousin and that is why, and the only reason why, he was charged with her murder. However, half way through the trial having only the same brand of cigarettes smoked as evidence, the case was thrown out.

Here is the link for anyone who wishes to read it. (There is also the mention of a couple of other little girls who went missing and were never found who I have not heard of. I will start a thread for these two girls)

http://ir.lib.sfu.ca/bitstream/1892/6626/1/b14961945.pdf

« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 12:16:54 AM by Sleuth »

Sleuth

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2009, 02:04:39 AM »
Little Lizzie's full name

Elizabeth Jean Tomlinson

What though the radiance which was once so bright
                                           Be now for ever taken from my sight,
                                           Though nothing can bring back the hour        
                                           Of splendour in the grass, of glory in the flower;
                                           We will grieve not, rather find
                                           Strength in what remains behind,

William Wordsworth

« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 02:11:30 AM by Sleuth »

lostlinganer

• Silence, in the face of injustice is complicity wi
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2009, 10:22:47 AM »
it is a logical question about the "cigarette evidence".  Was this discarded as old evidence of a closed part of the investigation?  What was considered useless evidence back then is now DNA crucial evidence.

Woodland

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2009, 11:11:36 AM »
Spoke to Det Wilkinson again yesterday, trying to pick up where he left off the day before.

According to him, alot of people are in similar places at similar times, and the 'methodology' in this case is unlike any other case so 'unless someone brings him hard evidence, he will look no further'.

I asked if there is a DNA profile for this case - he said yes.  I asked if one was done after 1997 with newer technology than in the late 80's - he gave me a DNA lesson.  Not sure what he was trying to convey.

I tried asking a few more questions, he told me stop arguing with him.

So hopefully someone out there has hard evidence for Toronto Homicide - I only have  tip.

Sleuth - good articles to refresh memories on this case.

Sleuth

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2009, 11:15:44 AM »
Pick up the phone Woodland and ask him about the cigarette butts. If he can't find them, tell him to go on the hunt until he does. We realize he needs evidence. Let me think about it. Oh and Woodland; ask him to fax you over a copy of the composite sketch. Or ask him to have another compositor redo the sketch, without the beard.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 11:22:24 AM by Sleuth »

Sleuth

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2009, 01:19:32 PM »
http://www.nisv.info/cwall.htm

http://www.newtorontohistorical.com/The%20Globe%2019800729%20Murder%20Boulevard%20Inn.pdf

Gregory Guerin, acquitted of murdering his 6-year-old cousin Lizzie Tomlinson. Greenspan was paid the legal aid rate - about one-fifth his usual fees.

Sleuth

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2009, 02:35:35 PM »
And here is a picture of Stinky's Park in winter.

Woodland

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2009, 04:50:10 PM »
Sleuth - nothing would please me more than to continue a conversation with anyone from Toronto Police in charge of the Lizzie Tomlinson or Christine Jessop case.  My experience is, they take any and all questions with animosity unbecoming what a civil servant use to be.

In case you haven't read or heard - 2 Toronto officers were charged with assault in the last week or so - not so uncommon these days.  The reason in this case - they were 'dealing' with an intoxicated person on a sidewalk, and a citizen walking by took exception to their methods.  This citizen - 60ish - made a comment as to his dislike of what they were doing and was chased by these 2 cops to his residence, where they assaulted him while trying to arrest him for something.  The 60ish citizen ended up in hospital -and charged with some offense the cops came up with.

What should happen when a citizen is hurt while interacting with Toronto (or any other police service) - Chief Blair is suppose to call SIU - they get paid to investigate when a citizen is hurt or killed while interacting with police.  Blair failed to do this, the 60ish persons lawyer had to make the call.

The charges against this gentleman have been dropped for lack of evidence - but the cops were charged with assault due to his injuries - pictures were in the paper - nasty.  This guy was as much a threat to the cops safety as I would be - nil.

Like I said under my Christine Jessop post - my house was searched by the OPP under the pretext that a missing 12 year old girl had made a collect call to her mom from my house.  For those that have not read that post - when I pointed out you can't make a collect call within the same area code, they said 'oops sorry, wrong number' and left.

If I call again with more questions on this or any other case, will I be accidently tasered, because some cop is po'd?  I no longer doubt that.  Explaining their methods, time lines etc is not going to happen - they have Blair.  When these charges came to light late last week - Blair was on the 6 o'clock news defending the integrity of his force.  A coupe of nights later - one of his cops was charged with DUI.  Blair certainly has his hands full - with about 3 million residents and the top paid police force in the country.

Sleuth

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2009, 11:01:51 PM »
Certainly the man had experience with kids, but the fact he walked Lizzie all through the neighbourhood and didn't hide her anywhere but kept her out in the open, suggests to me he had no vehicle and no home or private place of his own anywhere in the area.

You are one smart person Des!   :) :)
If the perp and little Lizzie had gotten into a vehicle, as in a taxi, it would have shown up in the chart, and the Forensic Astrologer would have noted that in the summation. So they had to have walked. He led and she followed. I took a look at googles map and followed the route, but I don't know how to post it? I suspect you are correct in what you are thinking.
It set me back on my heels when I found the article in regards to the 2 cigarette butts, which tells it's own story, the perp did spend time with little Lizzie. Obviously it was a very quiet long-weekend, since only one man in the industrial area saw a man and child on the footpath when he was putting something outside the back of the building. But I am curious as to what description the Taxi Driver did give to the Police, so I will go on the hunt for the suspect's composite. I certainly hope, and I can't see why that piece of evidence would be thrown away, meaning the cig butts. Unless it became lost.   >:(