Author Topic: Etan Patz - Age 6 - Murdered - May 25, 1979 - NYC  (Read 10353 times)

Nish

• I can't get PTSD, I'm a carrier.
    • View Profile
Re: Etan Patz - Age 6 - Murdered - May 25, 1979 - NYC
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2012, 03:08:31 AM »
Seems a coincidence that the original suspect Ramos and the person who has now confessed Hernandez both have Puerto Rican names.

I think it's nothing more. Have you ever been to NYC? You can't swing a dead cat without banging it off of someone with a Hispanic name.

Nish

AlbertaCowboy

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2012, 06:03:37 PM »
His coming forward will allow Ramos to be freed I imagine. If Hernandez as an 18 year old did murder a six year old boy, it seems a highly unusually violent thing to do for someone who didn't go on in life to murder others that we know of, but then gratuitous violence was more the norm in New York in those days.

Ramos is not in jail for anything related to Etan Patz, so this new lead will have no bearing on his future.  Ramos may be paroled in November, after serving a 20 year sentence for sex assaults on other children.  I have my suspicions on this confession.  There are now reports that Hernandez has a history of hallucinations and mental illness, and that he can just be pulling a John Mark Carr. 

leonagleant

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2012, 09:49:29 PM »
This case is quite an inspiration for anyone trying to solve a cold case from decades ago. Get the police and media interested in your case and it might provoke a confession.

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2012, 10:54:23 PM »
Man charged with murdering NYC boy Etan Patz, who disappeared from street near home in 1979http://ca.news.yahoo.com/source-man-says-suffocated-etan-patz-6-old-183011281.html

leonagleant

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2012, 11:19:51 AM »
His coming forward will allow Ramos to be freed I imagine. If Hernandez as an 18 year old did murder a six year old boy, it seems a highly unusually violent thing to do for someone who didn't go on in life to murder others that we know of, but then gratuitous violence was more the norm in New York in those days.

Ramos is not in jail for anything related to Etan Patz, so this new lead will have no bearing on his future.  Ramos may be paroled in November, after serving a 20 year sentence for sex assaults on other children.  I have my suspicions on this confession.  There are now reports that Hernandez has a history of hallucinations and mental illness, and that he can just be pulling a John Mark Carr.

So many people have focussed on Ramos as the culprit including Etan's parents. It must be a shock to find out an unrelated person came forward. But nonetheless I'd say some good came out of Etan's death in that they got Ramos under the radar behind bars. More on Ramos below:

"It's the story of the careening twists and turns of federal prosecutor Stuart GraBois's relentless pursuit of his prime suspect. Jose Antonio Ramos is in prison not for Etan Patz, but BECAUSE of him. GraBois put him there for another crime against a child, and won't rest until Ramos faces charges for crimes against Etan. The serial child molester is up for parole in June 2009, and even if he doesn't get it, Ramos will walk free in 2014. Unless GraBois, Stan Patz, and others working with them, stop him."

- from the website "After Etan" re a book by the same name on the case by L. Cohen.

AlbertaCowboy

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2012, 08:53:59 PM »
I am not convinced Hernandez is guilty.  Apparently, I am not alone.  Hernandez has had a history of mental health problems, and as far as I have read, there is no physical evidence to link him to the crime.  Child abductions are usually sexually motivated.  Ramos was a known child molester, while Hernandez has no history of abusing children.

leonagleant

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2012, 09:37:07 PM »
Hernandez was very young at the time. There are some cases of teenagers killing young children rather impulsively or for no apparent reason and if Hernandez is guilty I would think he falls into that category as opposed to having been a young pedophile himself.

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2012, 10:53:42 PM »
Police 'STILL can't prove mentally ill man killed missing New York boy Etan Patz in 1979 - four months after he confessed'

By Daily Mail Reporter
PUBLISHED: 22:36 GMT, 24 September 2012 | UPDATED: 22:45 GMT, 24 September 2012

The arrest of Pedro Hernandez in May was supposed to bring closure to the parents of Etan Patz, the 6-year-old boy who vanished on his way to the bus stop in New York City in 1979.

However, four months after the mentally-ill New Jersey man's statement to police that he strangled the little boy and stuffed his body in a box, investigators cannot find a single piece of conclusive evidence to corroborate his story.
Some within the New York Police Department and District Attorney's office believe Hernandez, 51, should never have been arrested and paraded in front of the public so swiftly.

The New York Post reports that investigators are privately frustrated with the handling of the case, believing politics got in the way of police work.

They say Hernandez should have been watched and investigated thoroughly and that officers should have held off on hauling him into custody.

Still, in a series of four detailed statements to police, investigators say, he gave a convincing story of Patz's murder.

Hernandez told police that he was working at a bodega near Etan's home in the SoHo neighborhood of New York.

On May 25, Etan was walking to the bus stop alone for the first time, when he stopped by Hernandez's shop. The then-18-year-old gave the boy a soda, lured him into a back room and then strangled him, he said.  He claimed he stuffed the boy's body in a banana box and left the box for garbage men to haul away to the landfill.

When officers, acting on a tip, arrived at Hernandez's home, he reportedly said: 'I know why you're here. I've been waiting for this for years.'
'He either did it, or he really believes he did it,' a source in the district attorney's office told the Post.

Still police have been unable to dig up anything that directly ties Hernandez to the murder.

Some investigators worry he could be so mentally ill that he has convinced himself he killed the little boy -- even if he had nothing to do with the case.
Investigators have been through the bodega where Hernandez worked 33 years ago, though an extensive search yielded no leads.

They also tore apart his home in Maple Shade, New Jersey. Investigators discovered a box in a hidden compartment containing  boys' white Fruit of the Loom briefs, a yellow Matchbox-style car and a pair of blue children's shorts.

None of those items contained any DNA that tied them to Patz, however.
Some investigators say NYPD Commissioner Ray Kelly was trying to one-up the FBI, which had recently seized control of the investigation.

They told the Post they blamed 'politics' for the decision to haul Hernandez into custody.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2208151/Etan-Patz-No-evidence-Pedro-Hernandez-months-tell-police-killed-boy.html

#1 & 2 - Search for answers goes on: Etan Patz's parents have waited more than 33 years for answers. Even after the confession of Pedro Hernandez officers haven't been able to provide definitive truth.

#3 -  Anatomy of a crime: The details of Hernandez's story hold up, but authorities cannot confirm he committed the murder

click to enlarge

Concerned

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2017, 08:59:32 PM »
Former Clerk convicted of killing Etan Patz 38 years ago
COLLEEN LONG and JENNIFER PELTZ, Associated Press

POSTED:FEB 14 2017 12:10PM EST
UPDATED:FEB 14 2017 03:21PM EST

NEW YORK (AP) - A former store clerk was convicted Tuesday of murder in one of the nation's most haunting missing-child cases, the disappearance of 6-year-old Etan Patz on the way to the school bus stop 38 years ago.

Pedro Hernandez showed no reaction as jurors delivered their verdict. A 2015 jury had deadlocked following 18 days of deliberation, leading to a retrial that spanned more than three months. Hernandez, who once worked in a convenience store in Etan's neighborhood, had confessed, but his lawyers said his admissions were the false imaginings of a mentally ill man.

This time, the jury deliberated over nine days before finding Hernandez, 56, guilty of murder during a kidnapping, resolving a case that shaped both parenting and law enforcement practices in the United States.

"The Patz family has waited a long time, but we've finally found some measure of justice for our wonderful little boy, Etan," his father, Stanley Patz, said afterward, choking up. "I'm really grateful that this jury finally came back with which I have known for a long time - that this man, Pedro Hernandez, is guilty of doing something really terrible so many years ago."

He added: "I am truly relieved, and I'll tell you, it's about time. It's about time."

The verdict spurred tears even from some of the jurors from the first trial, who had attended the second one. In the first trial, all but one juror had voted for conviction.

The current jury's foreman, Thomas S. Hoscheid, said deliberations had been difficult, but "we had constructive conversations, based in logic, that were analytical and creative and adaptive, and compassionate.

"And, ultimately, kind of heartbreaking," he said.

Manhattan District Attorney Cyrus R. Vance Jr. said the jury "affirmed beyond all lasting doubt that Pedro Hernandez kidnapped and killed the missing child" in "one of the city's most famous and formative cases."

Still, the Patz family - which focused for years on another suspect before Hernandez' 2012 arrest - may never know exactly what became of the boy. No trace of him has been found since the May day he vanished, on the first day he got the grown-up privilege of walking alone to the bus stop about two blocks away in a then-edgy but neighborly part of lower Manhattan.

Hernandez's lead lawyer, Harvey Fishbein, said he would appeal.

"In the end, we don't believe this will resolve the story of what happened to Etan back in 1979," Fishbein said.

Etan became one of the first missing children ever pictured on milk cartons, and the anniversary of his disappearance has been designated National Missing Children's Day. His parents lent their voices to a campaign to make missing children a national cause, and it fueled laws that established a national hotline and made it easier for law enforcement agencies to share information about vanished youngsters.

And his disappearance helped tilt parenting to more protectiveness in a nation where many families had felt comfortable letting children play and roam alone.

"It's a cautionary tale, a defining moment, a loss of innocence," Manhattan Assistant District Attorney Joan Illuzzi said in an opening statement. "It is Etan who will forever symbolize the loss of that innocence."

The decadeslong investigation took investigators as far as Israel, but Hernandez wasn't a suspect until 2012, when renewed news coverage of the case prompted a brother-in-law to tell police that Hernandez had told a prayer group decades earlier that he'd killed a child in New York. Authorities would later learn that he'd made similar, if not entirely consistent, remarks to a friend and his ex-wife in the early years after Etan vanished.

After police finally came to Hernandez' Maple Shade, New Jersey, door, he confessed, saying he'd offered Etan a soda to get him into the store basement, choked him, put him - still alive - in a box and left it with a pile of curbside trash.

"Something just took over me," Hernandez said in one of a series of recorded confessions to police and prosecutors. He said he'd wanted to tell someone, "but I didn't know how to do it. I felt so sorry."

Prosecutors cast his confession as the chillingly believable words of a man unburdening himself, and they argued it was buttressed by the less specific admissions he'd made earlier to his relatives and acquaintances.

Defense lawyers and doctors portrayed Hernandez as man with psychological problems and intellectual limitations that made him struggle to tell reality from fantasy - and made him susceptible to confessing falsely after more than six hours of questioning. His daughter testified that he talked about seeing visions of angels and demons and once watered a dead tree branch, believing it would grow.

"Pedro Hernandez is an odd, limited and vulnerable man," Fishbein said in his closing argument. "Pedro Hernandez is an innocent man."

Prosecutors have suggested Hernandez faked or exaggerated his symptoms.

Defense lawyers also pointed to a different man who was long the prime suspect - a convicted Pennsylvania child molester who made incriminating remarks about Etan's case in the 1990s and who had dated a woman acquainted with the Patzes. For years, Stan Patz sent him notes annually in prison asking, "What did you do to my little boy?"

The man was never charged and denies killing Etan.

___

Associated Press writer Larry Neumeister in New York contributed to this story.

Concerned

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2018, 05:23:53 PM »
Pedro Hernandez, a former store clerk convicted of murdering Etan Patz who was on his way to school in 1979 was sentenced to 25 years to life in prison. Some believe Mr. Hernandez is not guilty as the case weighed heavily on videotaped confessions he made to the police and prosecutor. Etan's body has never been found and no scientific evidence actually links Mr. Hernandez to the crime.

Source:  https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/18/nyregion/pedro-hernandez-etan-patz-sentencing.html