Someone Knows Something - CBC
Podcast By David Ridgen, an award-winning filmmaker

Sign The Petition!

Help find Sheryl Sheppard

Author Topic: Lindsay Buziak - 24 - Murdered - February 2, 2008 - Victoria, BC  (Read 70238 times)

victorian

• View Profile
Hi I'm new to the site and noticed Lindsay isn't here. It's a high profile case here in Victoria as she was one of the youngest real estate agents at age 24.
I'll try and post any pertinent articles.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 10:44:47 PM by debbiec »

Edsonmom

• View Profile
Re: Lindsay Buziak - 24 - Murdered - February 2, 2008 - Victoria, BC
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2009, 01:23:46 AM »
Welcome Victorian.

Who killed Lindsay Buziak?

On the anniversary of real estate agent Lindsay Buziak's killing, the police and her family are still left with many questions in a case that eludes easy answers

By Rob Shaw, Times ColonistFebruary 1, 2009
  StoryPhotos ( 4 )

More Images »  One year ago Monday, Lindsay Buziak was killed after she went to show an upscale home to a mysterious client. Police have yet to arrest a suspect in her killing.Photograph by: Courtesy, Buziak familyWhen the crime scene tape came down outside 1702 De Sousa Pl. almost a year ago, Jeff Buziak walked into the empty bedroom where his daughter Lindsay was slain, sat on the floor, and wept.

He was devastated, like many family and friends of the slain 24-year-old real estate agent. But a year later, much of that sadness has turned to anger and frustration -- not at police, who have yet to find her killer, but at some people in Victoria who Buziak's father feels are holding back her case.

"I believe there are people in this community who either know what went on, or parts of what went on, and they are not coming forward," he told the Times Colonist. "I don't know how they live with themselves, I really don't.

"The community is letting police down. The killer, or killers, are out there somewhere. There are people in this community that... have to know who did it and they're not coming forward. I've stopped blaming the police."

Tomorrow is the one year anniversary of Buziak's death. She was viciously stabbed in an upscale home in Saanich's Gordon Head neighbourhood.

That Saturday, Feb. 2, 2008, she received a call from a woman with a foreign accent, who wanted to schedule a showing for the million-dollar home around 5:30 p.m.

The woman was reportedly eager to buy that day. Later, Buziak got a call from a man who said he'd meet with her alone. By all accounts, the scenario left Buziak nervous. She asked her live-in boyfriend Jason Zailo, also a real estate agent, to check on her later at the house. Nevertheless, she went to the home and was attacked.

Around 6:15 p.m. police received a

9-1-1 call from one of two people outside the house. The caller asked police to check on Buziak. Minutes later, police answered a second 9-1-1 call from a person now inside the home, asking for medical help.

It has been widely reported that Zailo was one of the people who found Buziak's body and called 9-1-1. However, police refuse to confirm that fact, saying only that the two witnesses have been co-operative. Regardless, days later, Zailo was asked back to the crime scene with his lawyer to reconstruct events.

Police pored over Buziak's life -- interviewing her friends, previous boyfriends, family and work colleagues. To date, detectives have interviewed 1,471 people, said Insp. Rob McColl, head of the major crime unit. Some interviews were conducted in B.C., others in cities such as Calgary.

Officers have chased down 752 tips and executed 30 search warrants looking for evidence, McColl said. They searched the Songhees condo where Buziak and Zailo lived, and collected dozens of footprints from real estate agents and clients, in an attempt to weed out suspects from legitimate prospective buyers who had toured the home.

Yet the killing remains unsolved. Police consider it a "whodunit," not a simple "smoking gun" homicide, McColl said. "It's common that these investigations are measured in years, not months."

Police aren't yet willing to divulge if they have a suspect, saying the focus remains on putting together the most detailed and accurate case they can, to ensure success if and when it goes to court.

A year ago, Saanich police said public tips weren't needed to solve the case. A month after the killing, the family considered putting up a reward, but police told them they had sufficient information and there was no need to do so. Now, after a year of trying, the department admits it could use help.

"We think some of the people we've talked to may have gone away and since learned additional information," said Sgt. John Price, Saanich police spokesman.

"We've talked to 1,400-odd people and they've given us a level of information -- some of them have shared completely, some of them have shared partly," McColl added. "There are people who were probably expecting police to knock on their door and say, 'What do you know about this?' Perhaps we haven't got to that for a variety of reasons ... and we want to talk to those people. Don't wait. Talk to police now."

Detectives stay in regular contact with Jeff Buziak, who lives in Calgary, and Lindsay's mother Evelyn Reitmayer in Victoria. At first, Jeff Buziak said he was angry at police for not making an arrest. But with time, he said, he came to appreciate they were trying as best they could.

"We're all sitting around being armchair quarterbacks watching CSI and The First 48, and these type of [TV crime] shows, and criticizing what they should or shouldn't do, asking who done it, speculating, and nobody's doing anything about [helping]," he said.

"The police are working hard. I see what they're going through. I see at their desk, they have pictures of my daughter they look at every morning." He said he's seen officers cry while talking about his daughter's case.

Jeff Buziak's plea for someone to come forward echoes a similar plea he made at his daughter's funeral on Feb. 9, 2008 -- but to no avail. Standing in front of the 650 people spilling out of St. Andrew's Cathedral downtown, Buziak said: "If there's anyone here who had anything to do with this horrible act, please come up to the front right now. This will be your only chance for forgiveness."

Lindsay Buziak's mother will spend tomorrow holding a low-key celebration of her daughter's life, said Art Reitmayer, Buziak's uncle and a family spokesman. Lindsay was a vivacious young woman, full of life, with a wide stable of loyal friends, he said. Sometimes all that she was gets lost in the coverage of her death, said Reitmayer.

Police "have their theories" but don't share them with the family, he said. There is hope that detectives can eventually make an arrest. "Can I say today that I'm 100 per cent confident that will be the case? No," Reitmayer said. "In order for something like this to get resolved, it requires a whole bunch of different pieces to come into place.

"We all have to be somewhat patient. It is working its way through, but it is a fairly complicated case, and I know if there's anything more out there, it would certainly benefit the situation if people would come forward."

Both sides of Buziak's family resent the rumours that continue to swirl about her death.

"She didn't do drugs," her father said.

"I try not to put too much weight on [rumours]. I try to listen to everything. I've been really struggling inside not to make my own conclusions and decisions about who did it, who didn't do it, as far as I'm concerned everybody to me is a suspect. As far as I'm concerned, no one is eliminated from my mind, and I struggle to keep my mind open all the time."

Police were quick to squash rumours that another police force has stalled the murder investigation because it is connected to a more important case. "It's not true, no other police agency is directing this organization," McColl said.

Rumours flourish in the absence of solid information, but McColl said it would be inappropriate to share any working theories about why Buziak was killed.

"Why she was killed goes to the absolute core of this [case], and goes to motive. And there's no way I can go to motive. So I'm sorry but there's no way I can answer that."

Police also refuse to discuss Buziak's boyfriend, Zailo. One side of the family thinks he's been comforting and co-operative, Reitmayer said.

"My family never had any reason to feel that relationship was questionable," Reitmayer said. "It's unfortunate people don't wait until a final determination is rendered and somebody is arrested before they start believing the worst of somebody."

Buziak's father said Zailo won't talk to him.

A real estate agent in the West Shore, Zailo briefly returned a call from the Times Colonist but said he couldn't agree to an interview until he asked permission from Buziak's family. He did not call back. His lawyer, Bradley Hickford, said any questions would be better answered by police.

Numerous friends contacted by the Times Colonist either did not return calls or did not want to comment.

The two women who were the listed real estate agents for the De Sousa Place home -- but were never called by the mysterious woman with the foreign accent -- say they still think about their slain colleague.

"It was all the buzz for the first six months, and we were just commenting the other day we don't hear a thing anymore," said Laurie Lidstone.

"Honestly, it's weird, but it's almost like it didn't happen," said Nancy DiCastri. "Nobody talks about it."

The killing sparked calls for increased safety among real estate agents who show homes alone, but police have said they don't believe Buziak was targeted because she worked in real estate.

At its peak, Saanich police had 20 officers working her case. During the year, 89 officers have helped investigate at one point or another. Five senior detectives continue to investigate full time. Last summer, the RCMP audited the Saanich murder file to ensure the investigation was up to standards. McColl called the results "favourable."

But no matter how many officers are scouring for clues, in the end, Buziak's family says it may never be able to move on from her death.

"It's horrendous," Reitmayer said. "As you can imagine, everything in this whole situation is so heinous because you have this young, promising individual whose life is taken and the natural order of things is totally thrown off, and we have no understanding of why.

"All of that weighs heavily on [Buziak's mother]. It's tough enough to deal with the loss of a child when you understand it.

"Losing a child when you have no idea why ... you can't understand it.

"Closure never comes, it is just time that makes it a little easier to talk about. Certainly the understanding of why, or for whatever reason [she was killed] is one of those things that helps in the healing process. We're just not at that stage."

Meanwhile, Buziak's father said he fantasizes about the "gutless cowards who committed this crime come and face me without their guns and knives and bravado." His words are full of anger and his face flushes as he speaks. Later, as he calms, he offers a more sober assessment.

"I think the best thing we can hope for is get a conviction. But nothing will help my grief."

- - -

Lindsay Buziak homicide case timeline

Feb. 2, 2008: Lindsay Buziak, a real estate agent with Re/Max Camosun, receives a call from a woman with a foreign accent. The woman asks Buziak to show her an empty home at 1702 De Sousa Pl. around 5:30 p.m. Later, Buziak reportedly receives a call from a man who says he'll be the one meeting her, alone.

Feb. 2, 2008, 6:15 p.m.: Two people visit the empty house. Friends say one is Buziak's boyfriend and fellow real estate agent Jason Zailo, although police have refused to confirm this. One person calls 9-1-1 from outside and asks police to check on Buziak. Minutes later, police receive another 9-1-1 call from a person inside asking for medical help. Buziak is found stabbed to death against a wall in an upstairs bedroom.

Feb. 6, 2008: Zailo returns to the crime scene with his lawyer. As police videotape him, he walks officers through the home and answers their questions.

Feb. 7, 2008: The Buziak family briefly addresses the media through Lindsay's uncle Art Reitmayer, who says there is too much speculation swirling and the family is satisfied with the police investigation.

Feb. 9, 2008: Family and friends gather for Buziak's funeral at the St. Andrew's Cathedral in Victoria. During the service, her father Jeff Buziak asks anyone who knew anything about the murder to come forward to police.

Feb. 12, 2008: Police deny reports they used search warrants to access the Songhees condo where Buziak and Zailo lived. Police say they searched the residence, but didn't necessarily need a warrant. It is the last news conference into the case. Saanich police tell media outlets there will be no further updates and ask the family not to speak to the media.

Jan. 30, 2009: Saanich police Insp. Rob McColl, head of the detective division, reveals some of what police have done in the last year, including interviewing 1,471 people, following up on 752 tips and executing 30 search warrants. Some detective work was done outside B.C., although McColl won't say where. Five senior detectives are working the file full time. There is no mention of suspects or motive.

Feb. 2, 2009: The one-year anniversary of Buziak's murder. Her family says they'll gather to remember her privately, but have turned down requests to speak at a news conference.

Feb. 3, 2009: Saanich police are expected to hold a news conference to further update the public on the case.

Can you help?

Anyone with information about the death of Lindsay Buziak is asked to call the Saanich Police Department tip line at 250-475-4313.

To leave an anonymous tip for police, call Greater Victoria Crime Stoppers at

1-800-222-8477 or, to submit an online tip, visit victoriacrimestoppers.com.

© Copyright (c) The Victoria Times Colonist
http://www.timescolonist.com/news/killed+Lindsay+Buziak/1241544/story.html

Edsonmom

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2009, 01:27:06 AM »
Wow the suspect is a woman...

Police release sketch, description of suspects in Lindsay Buziak killing

A year after fatal stabbing, investigators reveal details about couple, say real estate agent's boyfriend not a suspect

Saanich police released this sketch of a Caucasian woman, 35 to 45 years old with short blond hair. She is considered a suspect in the Feb. 2, 2008, death of Lindsay Buziak.

http://www.theprovince.com/news/bc/Police+release+sketch+description+suspects+Lindsay+Buziak+killing/1248923/story.html

Edsonmom

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2009, 01:32:41 AM »
Police seek two suspects in stabbing death of Saanich realtor
Last Updated: Tuesday, February 3, 2009 | 2:43 PM PT Comments11Recommend36CBC News
Saanich police have released descriptions of two suspects a year after a young realtor was stabbed to death in an empty Saanich home.

Police said they are looking for a man and a woman who met Lindsay Buziak, 24, at the home in the upscale neighbourhood of Gordon Head.

They also revealed that Buziak's body was found by her boyfriend on Feb. 2, 2008, in the empty home on the 1700 block of De Sousa Place but said he is not one of the suspects.

"We know she was lured to the home on De Sousa Place by a woman caller," Saanich police said in a statement released on Tuesday. "We know that a man and woman met her at the home."

The man is described as Caucasian, approximately six feet tall with a medium build and brown hair. At the time, he was well dressed and wearing a light brown jacket.

The woman is described as Caucasian, between 35 and 40 years old, with short blond hair. At the time she well dressed, wearing a short black skirt or dress, with red and white accent stripes.

Sgt. John Price said police had the descriptions several months ago, but they didn't release them until a year to the day after the death in order to maximize media exposure.
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columbia/story/2009/02/03/bc-lindsay-buziak-suspects.html

victorian

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2009, 01:38:14 AM »
Thank you edsonmom! You're fast!  ;D

Edsonmom

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2009, 01:43:30 AM »
LOL your welcome.. ;D
This is a very sad case..I really feel for her family..I can understand why her father is so upset, that there has not been an arrest made in this case..Why did it take so long for the sketch of the woman to be released, and did they ever release one of the man they suspect??

victorian

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2009, 01:46:26 AM »
LOL your welcome.. ;D
This is a very sad case..I really feel for her family..I can understand why her father is so upset, that there has not been an arrest made in this case..Why did it take so long for the sketch of the woman to be released, and did they ever release one of the man they suspect??
I don't recall any sketch of the male. I do know there was much criticism of the female sketch.

Edsonmom

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2009, 01:57:01 AM »
Why has there not been a sketch of the man released?? they also mention that a sketch of the skirt the woman suspect was wearing was released, but I can not find it..I am so confused as to why they waited a year to release this sketch..
Sgt. John Price said police had the descriptions several months ago, but they didn't release them until a year to the day after the death in order to maximize media exposure.
this does not make sense..why would they not want them released as soon as they had them. I think the media exposure would have been the same..

victorian

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2009, 02:04:44 AM »
Why has there not been a sketch of the man released?? they also mention that a sketch of the skirt the woman suspect was wearing was released, but I can not find it..I am so confused as to why they waited a year to release this sketch..
this does not make sense..why would they not want them released as soon as they had them. I think the media exposure would have been the same..
I do not know. Myself and many others asked the same and feel the same as you.
I could not imagine the torment her family is going through. I also don't know what it would feel like being a police force not being able to find that hidden clue to resolve this.

Edsonmom

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2009, 02:30:54 AM »
I was just rereading the first one I posted, it is so sad, that she had a feeling, that the situation did not feel right to her, and she went anyways...Was it her boyfriend & the other real estate friend, that made the two 911 calls? it seems strange, that one call came from outside, saying to check on her, and moments later the other one was from in the house, saying they needed medical help..How did they get the descriptions of the suspects? The dad id right, someone knows something about this, and they are just not coming forward..I agree, this must be very hard for this family, and yes, even for the police, but like the dad says, he feels they know what happened, and just need to find all the missing pieces. I hope they get closure to this soon. Maybe with the sketches being released now, they will get the answers they need.

Edsonmom

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2009, 02:38:12 AM »
Well it sounds like they are getting more tips since the release.. that is good.. Victorian you mentioned that there was criticism of the female sketch. can I ask what it was about?

Sketch helps spark tips in Buziak case

Text   Published: February 13, 2009 12:00 PM

More than 50 tips from the public have streamed in since police released information about two suspects in the murder last February of a 24-year-old real estate agent.

On Feb. 3, police publicized descriptions and composite sketches of a caucasian man and woman. The pair are believed to have met Lindsay Buziak in the home where she was murdered on Feb. 2, 2008. Since the media release, police have received more than 40 tips and Crimestoppers has had 12 calls. These bring the total number of tips to almost 800 since the murder.

“The core group of detectives ... working on the Buziak murder investigation are being assisted by additional police resources at this time who are tasked with following up each and every lead,” said Sgt. John Price.

“We continue to encourage people to come forward and talk to our investigators,” he said. “Don’t minimize what you know -- let us make that determination.”
http://www.bclocalnews.com/vancouver_island_south/victorianews/news/39564464.html

victorian

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2009, 02:52:25 AM »
I was just rereading the first one I posted, it is so sad, that she had a feeling, that the situation did not feel right to her, and she went anyways...Was it her boyfriend & the other real estate friend, that made the two 911 calls? it seems strange, that one call came from outside, saying to check on her, and moments later the other one was from in the house, saying they needed medical help..How did they get the descriptions of the suspects? The dad id right, someone knows something about this, and they are just not coming forward..I agree, this must be very hard for this family, and yes, even for the police, but like the dad says, he feels they know what happened, and just need to find all the missing pieces. I hope they get closure to this soon. Maybe with the sketches being released now, they will get the answers they need.
Yes, how we should trust our gut but ignore it so often. Especially as women.  :(
I believe it was her boyfriend and his friend that made the two calls. Both were interviewed quite extensively.
I can only speculate the eye witness(es) would have been neighbours?

victorian

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2009, 03:04:36 AM »
Well it sounds like they are getting more tips since the release.. that is good.. Victorian you mentioned that there was criticism of the female sketch. can I ask what it was about?

The criticism came from the quality of the sketch. It was seen as amateur. Are anyone's features really shaped that way?
I saw a post somewhere by an artist that looked very real when put into proper graphic dimensions. Guess that was never pursued.  ???

victorian

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2009, 09:43:34 AM »
so this case is about as creepy as it comes. and i can see why the sketch was criticized, it does look amateurish and a side pose??

anyway. from what i've read in the updates they have cleared the boyfriend and do not think Lindsay was targeted because she was a realtor...which sounds a lot likely saying Lindsay was killed because this couple wanted to kill Lindsay...I've read no mention of sexual assault.

any chatter outside of media reports, victorian? did the young woman have anything resembling a sketchy past? sure doesn't seem like it from the write-ups.
No nothing sketchy about her from anything I've come across. She seemed a very responsible successful popular young lady. It's a complete mystery, and must be agonizing for the family.