Author Topic: Slow Site  (Read 22446 times)

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
Re: Slow Site
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2010, 11:54:17 AM »
Oh no! It is Friday the 13th!

Anyway, I was gone and did not notice anytihng, but I will run the maintenance tonight and see if that fixes anything.

amIam

« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2010, 05:33:48 PM »
I have been having many problems with this site as of late, figured it was at my end.  Perhaps not. 

So Chris, you have been gone as you have said. 

Question:  If and while you are away, who is keeping and eye on our security on this site?   

lostlinganer

• Silence, in the face of injustice is complicity wi
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2010, 06:06:00 PM »
can't resist! :D ;D ;D ;D I hope it's not the same monkeys that are running the zoo!

I swear... no innuendo there at all.... just funny ;D ;D..  Everytime he leaves for a few days, I think: "oh no! the monkeys will be running the zoo!   ;D ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 06:08:25 PM by lostlinganer »

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2010, 06:15:20 PM »
yes it's teh monkeys in the zoo!

As far as security goes, that has already been handled. If the site gets hacked, it goes offline until someone brings it back. It has never been hacked. After that, not much else is done when I go on short trips. If it was longer, I have a couple of webmaster friends whom I work with who would watch over things for me from a technical side.

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2010, 10:41:09 PM »
Is anyone still finding the site slow?

lostlinganer

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2010, 03:47:35 PM »
Are you kidding Chris.  My PC is in such bad shape, it takes 5 to 10 minutes just to change tasks - but if I make it to the forum here, it takes off like crazy and works great!  Only problem I get is sometimes my "reply" disappears before I get a chance to "Post".  ....so I'm always try to remember to "copy" before I hit "Post" ...or "Send" on replies and pms.

So it seems there's nothing slow about this site.

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2010, 11:59:10 PM »
Thanks for pointing that out to me. I did not know folks could not post here. I fixed that, you should now.

Would it be helpful then to remove the quick reply? Does normail reply work fine?

For some reason, these editors are getting more and more complex with browers it seems like, I will see if there is a simple one that does not cause so many issues.

lostlinganer

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2010, 12:33:30 AM »
Chris the browsers are getting so much faster, that those of us posters with anything less that 500 in our processors, can get timed out.  ....and the securtity providers had to speed up their resources to accomodate.  That's why I need a new processor.  I find it helps if you switch to "compatability mode" when one gets to that site.  Otherwise, until we all get caught up with the new high speed changes, and match our home computer's capabilities with it, better get use to copying a reply or a new thread before hitting "send" or "post".  I lost two today, and couldn't be bothered re writing them.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 02:53:08 AM by lostlinganer »

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 30, 2010, 02:31:16 AM »
I'm sorry you lost those. I have been looking at simpler lighter forums, but nothing else seems to have anti spam technology. And without it, this site would be hammered like crazy with all sorts of weird stuff.

I'll ask a wordpress expert if those wordpress forums are sound yet. It would be terrific if they are as wordpress is the best for anti spam stuff and user friendliness.

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 01, 2010, 12:35:20 AM »
It can be a slow computer that causes it. But somtimes it might also be the site.

I learned form others here to copy what I write first, then hit submit just in case.

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 25, 2010, 02:20:37 AM »
I ran the database tool, I hope that speeds things up. Let me know if there anyone with slow connections here.

SAP

« Reply #41 on: January 26, 2012, 11:51:31 AM »
Yesterday, while trying to post I was knocked off and also lost internet connection for awhile. Today this seems to be happening again, not as badly as yesterday.
Chris mentioned in one other thread when the site went down for a day or two, that "robots" had hit the site. I've known from past experience on other forums this can happen when there are co-ordinated efforts from various sources ... hit the site simultaneously and cause the site to go down. I wonder if that would also happen if a number of people logged on to retrieve messages near the same time? Just wondering since there has been unusual activity for awhile. Remembering that I saw the full thread of Pickering farmhouse and read the last page and know it was the exact thread, only to find it gone moments later. I am by no means blaming Admin as I do trust both Admin.

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 26, 2012, 12:18:38 PM »

SAP, I've been experiencing the same problems. It seemed to me that the site was a bit slow at first, but in the last few days I have also been booted a few times. It's been hard to get back on as well, if that happens.

I've sent a message to Chris, as he is more familiar with that than I am.

SAP

« Reply #43 on: January 26, 2012, 12:30:07 PM »
Thank you Debbie. I have a site on Forumer that gets pelted with foreign spam every once in awhile and I'm wondering if that could be the case here too. They are not leaving spam but maybe hitting at the same time?

jellybean

• Tired of Crime not doing their time
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 26, 2012, 08:42:28 PM »
I have also lost internet connection a number of times, during the last month or so.
My computer updated Explorer 7, finally, (even though my settings are set at daily updates), I wonder if the problem was with Explorer 7?   I wonder if this could also be part of our problem? After I a manually updated it, it works!!  Oddly though, I could gain access to other sites, but not Unsolved!!  Hmm -

JB