Author Topic: Lisa Leckie, 25 years, March 24, 2009  (Read 20517 times)

me

• View Profile
Lisa Leckie, 25 years, March 24, 2009
« on: April 14, 2009, 10:47:33 AM »
I was reading an article on the search for Tori and spotted this unsolved murder.  I will try to find out more.

POLICE: There are no suspects in custody yet in Lisa Leckie's death
Mom's death uneasy mystery
Joe Belanger
London Free Press
  April 9, 2009   

Nothing much appears different at 390 Southdale Rd.

Tenants and visitors come and go, some pushing children in strollers or carrying them in car seats.

But beneath the apparent calm and routine lies a mystery and an uneasiness among many of those coming and going.

"It is unsettling," said 26-year-old Natasha as she pushed a stroller with her year-old son inside falling asleep.

"Absolutely, it's disturbing. She had a young child just like me."

The uneasiness is the mystery that surrounds the death of a 25-year-old mother of two, Lisa Leckie, whose body was found in her third-floor apartment when her partner, Derek Stacey, returned from work about 7 a.m. on March 24.

Their eight-month-old son was found unharmed in his crib.

How did she die? Was it a random act? Is there a killer on the loose? These are some of the questions people are asking.

Police have released few details, either declining to disclose information they say could compromise the investigation, or unable to answer questions they haven't answered themselves.

But Det.-Supt. Ken Heslop said the public shouldn't be alarmed.

"If we had any public safety concerns, we'd have announced them," said Heslop, assuaging the public's concern about a killer on the loose.

"It is a difficult investigation, especially when you don't have a suspect in custody," said Heslop, adding police still hope someone will come forward with information to help investigators.

"I can't get into the evidence, and during an investigation you have to be careful not to compromise the investigation by having too much information out there."

Regardless, the silence surrounding the investigation into Leckie's slaying has unnerved her neighbours.

At least one man said he and his wife might move.

"We'll probably move," said the man, who didn't give his name. "It's an odd thing to happen and there's no information about what happened."

The man said he rarely spoke to Leckie, though he knew her by sight.

Meanwhile, Leckie's grandfather, Paul McCullough, 70, was devastated by her death and searching for his own answers in a recent interview.

"She was my pet, my angel, and she got along well with everybody," said McCullough.

"I can't understand who'd hurt her like that. It's unbelievable. Why? Why would someone do that?"

Police ask anyone with information about Leckie's death to contact them at 519-661-5670, Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477, or online at www.londoncrimestoppers.com (see link).

Joe Belanger is a Free Press crime reporter.

WEB: www.londoncrimestoppers.com

E-MAIL: Joe Belanger

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
Re: Lisa Leckie, 25 years, March 24, 2009
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2009, 05:34:42 PM »
Hmmm. I think this one will be an easy one to solve. No random murderer is going to choose a 3rd floor apartment. It was someone who knew her.

lostlinganer

• Silence, in the face of injustice is complicity wi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2009, 05:59:50 PM »
again; I pray the ongoing heartbreak over Tori will rekindle a conscience in this area.

wantedwanted

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2010, 08:14:00 PM »
Here is an article that reveals a bit more about Lisa Leckie and the circumstances of her death, including the cause of death - she was asphyxiated. Seems like police might be close to solving this one, but just need that one bit of evidence to be able to develop a case.

London Free Press (Ontario)

March 24, 2010 Wednesday
FINAL EDITION

One year later, kin still seek answers;
LISA LECKIE SLAYING
BY JOE BELANGER

In their eyes, you can see the pain.

In their words, you can hear the anger and frustration.

It's been one year -- 365 days and counting -- since the body of Lisa Johnson (Leckie) was found in her third-floor London apartment on Southdale Rd. when her common-law husband, Derek Stacey, arrived home from work.

She'd been murdered, asphyxiated. She was 25, a mother of two children, including infant Rain, now 18 months, and Sean, now 9, who lives with his father, Johnson's first husband, Phil Leckie.

Police have released little information about the case, but the investigation remains active.

The search for answers, for some form of closure, clearly haunts Johnson's mother, Cheryl McCullough, her sister, Cera Leblanc, and sister-in-law Tanya Babin, who say they're determined not to let the world forget about the case.

"There's got to be somebody who knows something, who heard something," said McCullough.

"She needs not to be forgotten. She needs to be remembered. We need answers and to see whoever did this is in jail. I'm urging whoever did this to just come forward and give us peace of mind. It's all the unknown, the uncertainty that . . ."

McCullough and other members of Johnson's family expressed frustration with police and the slow pace of the investigation, worried it'll go cold and never be solved.

But Det. Sgt. Paul Waight of the major crimes unit said he remains confident.

"We're still very actively working on it," said Waight, adding they're awaiting results of more forensic tests.

"It's a solvable case. We will get to the bottom of it. We're working diligently and actively to resolve it."

But if police have theories or suspects, they're not saying, leaving the case a mystery.

Bridget Johnson, Lisa's half-sister and a student at Fanshawe College, says she too wants answers.

"I have faith in the London police," said Johnson. "I know it takes time and we have to let them do their work. But I know it's hard not getting caught up in the questions and the need to see someone is held accountable for their actions."

All who knew Johnson described her as a warm, giving, outgoing, hard-working and devoted mother.

Johnson, McCullough, Leblanc and Babin all have theories about what happened to their daughter and sister.

"I think it was someone very strong, who may have had a partner," said Johnson. "Lisa was a tough girl. She could hold her own."

In an e-mail, Babin directed her words at Johnson's killer: "We believe she knew you and you took advantage of that. We believe this was not a random act or a crime of passion. We know that you fully knew and intended to do what you did and now you can never take it back and for that you must pay for your crime."

Babin also said she believes police are doing all they can "to bring justice for Lisa."

"But something is missing that is preventing the closure we all greatly need, and I'm urging anyone to come forward with any information. You never know, but the smallest piece of information could make an arrest possible," said Babin.

"You (the killer) have sentenced us all to a life of misery and left my two little nephews in this cold world without their mommy to love, guide and protect them. How would you feel if this was your mother or wife or daughter?"

Cera Leblanc said she's convinced the killer was someone who knew Lisa.

"She was a very, very safe person," said Leblanc.

"She was a very cautious person. She wouldn't open her door to a stranger. This was someone's mother, someone's daughter, sister and friend. Her death has affected so many in so many ways."

"I still can't believe someone could do this to her. I've never met anyone who was an enemy to her, ever."

wantedwanted

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2010, 08:58:55 PM »
The London Police Service updated their website June 10 this year with new information & a security camera image of a possible witness. Here is the text from the release, with a link to the release & image  at the end:

The London Police Service continues to investigate the murder of Lisa Leckie which occurred in the evening of March 23, 2009 or early morning hours of March 24, 2009 at 390 Southdale Road E, London.

The Major Crime Section is requesting the public's assistance in identifying an individual who was seen in the area of 390 Southdale Road E at the approximate time of the murder of Lisa Leckie. Police would like to speak to this male as a possible witness. This male is described as approximately 5'10 and approximately 200 lbs. Anyone who has any information regarding the identity of this male, or any information in relation to the murder of Lisa Leckie, is asked to call the London Police Service at 519-661-5670 or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS. Below is a still photo of the possible witness.
The London Police Service continues to investigate the murder of Lisa Leckie which occurred in the evening of March 23, 2009 or early morning hours of March 24, 2009 at 390 Southdale Road E, London.

The Major Crime Section is requesting the public's assistance in identifying an individual who was seen in the area of 390 Southdale Road E at the approximate time of the murder of Lisa Leckie. Police would like to speak to this male as a possible witness. This male is described as approximately 5'10 and approximately 200 lbs. Anyone who has any information regarding the identity of this male, or any information in relation to the murder of Lisa Leckie, is asked to call the London Police Service at 519-661-5670 or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS. Below is a still photo of the possible witness.
http://www.police.london.ca/d.aspx?s=/Newsroom/2010211.htm

Concerned

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2010, 11:31:42 PM »
London Crime Stoppers had posted media releases:

The Major Crime Section is requesting the public's assistance in identifying an individual who was seen in the area of 390 Southdale Road E at the approximate time of the murder of Lisa Leckie. Police would like to speak to this male as a possible witness. This male is described
as approximately 5'10 and approximately 200 lbs. Anyone who has any information regarding the identity of this male, or any information in relation to the murder of Lisa Leckie, is asked to call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS. You can also provide your tips online at www.londoncrimestoppers

Posted on:
June 20-26, 2010
July 18-24, 2010

jobo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2012, 04:51:50 AM »
None of the links work with still photos of the witness.  Is there any way another picture can be provided?  This witness needs to be found.  That is a pretty big guy:  5'10" and 200 lbs. 
Do the Cops figure he got in through the apartment door?  It was a third floor apartment, correct?  Is it possible to do it easily?  Some Perps can do it with Credit Cards.  If this murder happened in the middle of the night and hubby was working....it is hard to believe that Lisa would answer the door UNLess she knew the person. 
 The police said If they had public concerns they would have released them, which points me in the direction of looking for someone who targeted Lisa.  Someone who knew her live-in was working nights and she'd be alone.
But Why? 

Matty_46

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2012, 09:24:18 PM »
I was just at 390 Southdale Rd and took a look around, this is not a secure building at all. The doors leading outside from the stairs can be breached if not closed correctly by the last person exiting. They have a push latch on the inside and no handle at all on the outside. Im fairly sure they have a lobby watch channel/security camera for the main landing, and I would also think the underground garage but thats it, nothing on any stairwell exit.  Also I was told that the main door is on and off and doesnt work some times, and people often hold the door open for people behind them anyways. I cant believe its been over 3 years now with little news or anything, so few details from the start, someones gotta know something.

sbeekman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2013, 12:17:34 AM »
Its been 4 years since Lisa was murdered and still no answers. She was a very safe person and would never open the door for someone she didnt know. She was even known for keeping her doors locked in the middle of the day. I just hope that someone will come through with some sort of information. The tiniest piece of information could peace to her family.

leonagleant

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2013, 05:25:34 PM »
Unfortunate the suspect or so-called "witness" in the videotape could not be identified. How many people would be out in the early hours of the morning and caught on videotape around the building? I hope that as may locals as possible viewed that videotape at the time or can obtain it to view again in order to indentify this person.

Is there any evidence how the murderer got into the aparment or was there no sign of forced entry?

Have faith

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2013, 09:57:27 AM »
Thanks Chickapey.  Here is the link to the London Police website for Lisa.

http://police.city.london.on.ca/d.aspx?s=/Newsroom/Unsolved_Crimes/Murder_Lisa_Leckie.htm

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2013, 10:02:46 AM »
Lisa Leckie (Johnson) is pictured below

click to enlarge picture

sl2013

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2013, 10:25:39 AM »
Hi, uh...

Kinda awkward to mention, but I'm actually a friend of Lisa.

London Police just aren't in-depth enough, I think.  I'm always asking Dereck (can I even spell his name? ._.') about details, but nothing ever comes up. They don't tell us anything.

It's now been almost 4.5 years. The case is out cold.

It's been harsh to move on, Lisa was a great member of the family.

Lisa was smart, and yet there was no b&e (break & enter) signs.

I dunno. There were a few people in the apartment building who just wouldn't become friends with Lisa due to grudges unbeknownst to me. Did the LP overlook this?  I don't think so, but if the individual passing by wasn't him, then it is likely someone else, maybe with a key, was the guy?
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 10:33:36 AM by sl2013 »

soccermom

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2013, 08:20:46 PM »
Maybe if we knew more about Lisa we could offer more insight. Was she an online gamer? What was the issue with neighbours? Did she have problems at work? Jealous ex? Was it her habit to lock her door when she was home alone, or did she tend to walk in and not bother? Who knew her habits? Was she into drugs? (Please note: I don't ask that with ANY judgement or ANY assumptions about the beautiful person I'm sure Lisa was. Just trying to figure out if she might unknowingly or innocently or unintentionally got linked in with unsavoury folk.) I am sure LE has been asking these questions. But 0 answers? After so much time? Other women were attacked and murdered in their homes whose cases remain unsolved.  Sonia Varaschin (Orangeville) in summer 2010 and Audrey Gleave in (Hamilton) Dec. 2010. I'm not suggesting these cases are linked. But I hope both individual and possibly wider contexts have been investigated in Lisa's case.