Author Topic: FOUND - Penny Warne - 57 - Missing - Feb 11, 2009 - Wasaga Beach  (Read 182742 times)

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
Penny Warne, 57, was last seen on February 11, 2009, at 10 p.m. leaving her place of employment in Wasaga Beach, Ontario, Canada. Her purse, coat, keys and car were found at her residence.

Friends and co-workers became worried when Ms. Warne did not arrive at work again on Friday, February 13, or Sunday, February 15, and alerted police. Her dog was, uncharicteristically, found wandering outside the premises for what is believed to be several days.

Penny Warne has wavy, shoulder length, blonde hair. She occasionally wears glasses for reading. She is approximately 5'5" tall, with a medium build, and fair complexion.

Family believes Penny's disappearance is uncharacteristic of her behavior and disposition. They are concerned for her safety and welfare.

An Amber Alert was issued. OPP have conducted air, ground and water searches. Family have posted missing person's announcements throughout town and neighboring areas. News reports have been aired and published across Canada and the United States.

The Ontario Provincial Police - Huronia West Detachment is urging anyone with information on the whereabouts or disappearance of  Penny Warne to call 1-705-429-3575.

A chronology of the news reports on her case can be found on:
http://home.earthlink.net/~missingpenny/id8.html

and her official posts can be found on:
http://www.missing-u.ca/qryUI_Intro/MPUB.aspx
and
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=51499518788

capeheart

• View Profile
Re: FOUND - Penny Warne - 57 - Missing - Feb 11, 2009 - Wasaga Beach
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2009, 05:47:05 PM »
This not sound very good at all. Penny was dating someone on the internet. She should have never accepted a date alone with someone she did not know. And another thing, she should have never gave them hear address. Of course, she may not have, she just had to tell them where she worked and then they would have waited until she left work and followed her. I'd say she just got home and probably removed her coat and someone knocked at her door. I believe she was taken before she could take anything with her, even her coat. This is a long period of time with Penny gone. I say she was abducted and her computer should be searched for persons she met online. I think the answer is on the internet, in who she met there. I surely hope there are answers for her family and friends. ??? ??? ??? ???

Im_new_here2

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2009, 12:37:49 AM »
Hello to all my fello sleuthers..

I have not been on here in a long time.
Alot of people new penny pretty well or an aquaintance and at first this case almost ,,well if u live in wasaga beach its just what happens alot infact it happen to a little boy not long after she went missing ant that is that she prolly fell through the ice , Not everyone knows that the nottawasaugga river is a fast flowing river i fish it alot that time of year for steal head but only at the mouth of the river where it goes in to the bay but this being canada and as far north as we are winter is more then just a few snow flakes so the river on top freezes over. People take this for granted every year you can see on a nightlly basis guys and im sure girls racing up the river on their snowmobiles their crazy anyways people not taking or not knowing that the river underneith could break the ice at any moment will often walk across .you could live 10 miles down the road ok and u wanna go to mcdonalds or something and its right across the river  u can see it from your back yard even its 30 meters if u walk across or u can drive that 10 miles to turn and turn again and come all the way back up that same 10 miles to get what u want so alot of people take the chance and just walk across this is why i think that everyone thought that was what happen to penny its just so common unfortunantlly but i have to say iam hearing more and more all over town that she met someone that night off the internet and what happened from there is anyones guess ..  This is the rumors around town of course .Small town u know there is allways gonna be this kinda stuff ..As far as i know their has been no updates no more searches from police since it first happened it would be nice to get a real update from the police in this area on what if any news they have gathered.

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2009, 11:50:08 AM »
Well according to her daughter, Penny was cautious around water. I don't think she would venture to go over the ice alone. Also, her dog was tied outside and if it was cold, I don't think she would have left the animal outside. Also, her daughter had said her clothing was not gone. This seems to me very scary, I say the internet is the answer. If she had a date with someone, I believe the answer lies there. 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

waabzy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2009, 02:13:24 AM »
at a yard sale a few weeks ago I found an internet game called MISSING. it is aimed towards youth. It is the story of a little boy who met an adult male online. A safety game for kids. I plan on giving it to my 10 year old grandson when he returns from Ottawa this week because he is online.Mind you he is CAREFULLY monitored online and only goes into KIDS chats when his mom is standing over his back watching every word typed to and by him.

this game can be purchased online at http://www.livewwwires.com

There is an activity book dvd and vcr included in the game.

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2009, 03:49:41 PM »
Penny may have given someone too much information about herself. Even if she had told the person where she worked, they could follow her home and she would not be aware of it. No one should ever give important information about themselves online. They should like you say, have someone with them when they meet this person in a public place. Never go alone. It is a dangerous world out there. I mean you wouldn't open your door to a stranger walking down the street and that is the same thing, giving information to a stranger. Not a good idea. ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

Concerned

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2009, 06:58:58 PM »
If this is so, how safe are area residents if they can't find those responsible for Penny missing. How safe is Penny. What chance does she have of coming home. How often does this happen. Why isn't there any word on her. Someone has to know something. Are we suppose to just accept that people go missing? What better equipment. What better ways to investigate. What better ways to find someone sooner. What better ways to prevent. What can be done so others aren't found missing without a clue. What can be done. Penny is a kind person. She deserves to be found.

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2009, 08:02:21 PM »
I totally agree with you Concerned, there are just too many people in this country that are missing, I mean it is unreal. If she went missing and her personal items were in the home, I say that someone came to her door. If she left without her coat in the winter, that certainly is a very big clue that she did not go willingly. I have no idea what people are doing that are investigating these cases. If I had a family member missing, I would hound the police. I would keep her picture in the paper. More has to be done to find all these people that just disappear. I believe that there are not enough trained police investigators. They always indicate that the first 24 hours is very crucial in getting leads into what happened, if a crime was committed. Everything should not be overlooked and I think this is what happens, people are missing vital clues when someone disappears. Those are my views on why there are no answers in these cases. And it is tragic to lose someone and especially not know where they are or what happened to them. ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Concerned

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2009, 08:19:54 AM »
Capeheart, your words and thoughts are appreciated. I believe the police honestly want to find the missing, and we want them to. If only we knew what kind of equipment they were lacking, what kind of laws would better assist them, what kind of community support measures are helpful, I think it is worth every effort we all make to pay it forward.  I can't help but think if more businesses, homes and intersections had more surveillance camaras details of crimes would be pieced together better. ONE national directory, publicly accessible, about crimes, missing, murdered would help connect people to patterns and crimes. Required public disclosure of offenders residents would bring about awareness and appropriate measures for the public to take to protect themselves and their loved ones.  I think the public is owed the respect of being able to be aware and to be concerned when in the presence or vacinity of a known criminal, not to mention it may prevent crimes.  Delays in notification to other policing authorities are unacceptable. For instance, when a child like Ms. Stafford goes misisng, border patrol and surrounding police authorities should be alerted that moment, not wait two weeks for local authority to investigate, then wait two weeks for OPP to announce possible foul play. This is procedure now, but if we look at it with open eyes and hindsight could a difference have been made if all the authorities were alerted immediately? Are we wasting our legal authorities' time by waiting an inappropriate amount of time before helicopters, all-terrain, water and ground patrols are called in two weeks after, when statistics are telling us that the crime may have been committed  within the first few days? If so many bodies are being discarded in fields and Canada's vast stretches of farm land and woods are troublesome in find the missing, then what better technology exists to find the people in these circumstances?  Is it acceptable to have so many people being found dead in our rivers and our beachfronts.  What if we had national registries for food banks, homeless shelters, the missing and unidentified, as well as registries for those that rent cabins and cottages or motel/hotel rooms?  These databases could be used to help be more efficient in looking at travel patterns and in finding missing.

More sophisticated computer technology and access to technology, might, for instance allow the OPP to better research the internet date Desespere mentions.  If they had access to Penny's computer and knew of an internet date, for instance, why can't they seek all access to his computer and his online communications in the site and other dating sites or emails he may be on. Talk to the dates he went on and see if they were comfortable dating him. 

Also, more needs to be done to research what actually happens to the missing so that more can be learned and more pocedures and investigations can be made to prevent them from taking more  community members in the future. For instance, some abductions seem to be drug based, some seem to be random sexual crimes, some are serial, some come from repeat offenders that have a circular pattern of repeat assault, some seem to be part of a group of traffickers.  Are the sentences long enough? Rehabilitation successful? Is enough being done to prevent escalation, prevent crimes?  What role can the public take.  How can we raise our children better? How can we get helpf for those that display inappropriate behavior before it escalates? What task forces can be created to look at these issues, research the best practices worldwide, and instill these practices so Canada is number one in detrring its growing number of those that go missing or those found dead.

And lastly, we have to look at ourselves. Are we feeding the drug trade? Are we feeding the sexual trade? Are we not addressing behavioral problems in people that develop to believe that sexually assaulting or abducting someone is OK? Are we letting perpetrators off too easy? Are there better ways of finding perpetrators and we aren't changing because we didn't pursue technology, prevention, changes in public policy, etc...  Or, we were too busy to care.

When we are affected by a missing person, we realize how very important it is to care. How important it is to make a difference. There are no words to explain the pain of tryng to find someone you love. Where do you look? What if they need you? What if they are being harmed and helpless? What if you didn't do enough to find them? What if you never find them? What if you find them and its too late? Why are we watiting to find them, they shouldn't have gone missing in the first place.

Concerned

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2009, 08:34:06 AM »
To Im-new-here, I didn't hear about the little boy that had gone missing in Wasaga around the same time Penny was missing. Did they find him? Are there any more details?

I read a story this morning about a suspcious man near kids in Kincardine where a suspicious male was parked in a gold minivan looking at children playing at Lions Park.  The guy was traveling with a woman in her 30's. The story can be found at http://www.bayshorebroadcasting.ca/news_item.php?NewsID=15207 .

It reminded me of a story in April where a woman driving a late-model gold coloured van offered to give a Wasaga Beach child a ride to school on April 30.  The gold van had stopped in the pathway that connects a trail to school with a nearby elementary school, Birchwview Dunes. That story can be found at http://www.bayshorebroadcasting.ca/news_item.php?NewsID=15244 .

I wonder if they are connected in any way. In the least, perhaps gold coloured vehicles can be investigated. I can't imagine too many of them being popular, so it should be a fairly easy find.

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2009, 07:06:17 PM »
Concerned, I do know what you mean about not enough information being made accessable to all PDepts across Canada. More surveillance is a good thing, some think not, but I believe it has helped solve several crimes. Take VStafford, no leads would have been available at all if it had not have been for the surveillance video. I sure do hope that some news if forthcoming on Penny, it just must be horrific for her family. My prayers to them in finding answers. ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Concerned

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2009, 04:40:19 AM »
Happy Birthday, Penny.  You were absent on Mother's Day. You were absent at your daughter's wedding. No one knows how to wish you a happy birthday, today. We get the message--you need our help. Strength, peace, love today. We are trying, we just don't know where to find you. We won't stop.

Concerned

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2009, 07:11:55 AM »
I am new to this site, so I am unfamiliar with how best it works. Maybe you can find some place on the site where this may be of assistance, to even one, if helpful.  I ran across a resource that may be of help to many searching for their loved ones. There is a video on how it works. It is developed so loved ones can perform research on a wide database. It seems to be a wonderful concept.  I don't know how wide and broad it is, but I can't help but feel some relief that it is out there. It appears to be created by the US Department of Justice. But has postings of people found unidentified and people missing from other countries. Canada and US are neighbors. We all know, too, that sometimes our cases cross borders. Here it is if it can help any of the site visitors. Even one would be worth it. My heart is with everyone searching.
The video describing it:  https://www.findthemissing.org/how_it_works_video/NamusVideo640.htm
The resource:  http://www.namus.gov/

Sleuth

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2009, 11:08:45 AM »
I checked out Namus. That is wonderful! Thank you Concerned for sourcing it out and bringing it to our attention. Welcome to the site!  :)

Concerned

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2009, 08:50:01 PM »
Merry Christmas, our dear Penny. It has been a heart-breaking 10 months without you. We don't know if you are ok. If you need us. How to find you. But we are trying. It is very hard not knowing if you are ok. People can't just move on when someone you love is missing. There is a piece of us that needs to know where to find you. What happened to you. Why. You are such a warm and loving individual. You lived your life that way. Honestly. With heart. With compassion. With love. We need to know you are ok, up in heaven, or where we can look for you here. How we can find you, here. I don't know how anyone can harm someone, especially you. In our hearts, we know you didn't fall into the river, for how many years have you lived by the river and known how to be safe. Besides, who leaves their house in a winter storm with a housecoat and boots, no coat. Surely not you. You wouldn't have left your dog stranded outside for days in cold without food or shelter. That is just not you. So what does that leave us? How do people just disappear, leaving everything behind? Why do they disappear? Why you? What are the possible theories? Someone had to have heard of something, seen something, witnessed something, know something. Is there a pattern in the area? Is there a perpetrator in the area? How many people your age are missing without a trace and with absolutely no clue? Why? Can't dates be tracked? What patterns need to be studied for answers? We don't believe you left on your own free will. If you should stumble on this message, no matter what your situation, we need a clue as to how to find you. We will figure it all out from there. We know you know you are loved, but just in case you need a reminder...we love you. We miss you. We need you home. Or, in the least we need to know. We haven't stopped looking for you. And, if someone decided to harm Penny, would you please have the compassion to in the least let us find her and bring her home. Let us find her. Help us find her. Anyone?