Author Topic: FOUND - Penny Warne - 57 - Missing - Feb 11, 2009 - Wasaga Beach  (Read 184758 times)

Concerned

• View Profile
Re: FOUND - Penny Warne - 57 - Missing - Feb 11, 2009 - Wasaga Beach
« Reply #525 on: February 28, 2015, 02:23:41 PM »
Thank you, HF.  I realize how very different it could be if the outcome was anything other than not foul play. That, in and of itself, is a blessing. I just don't know how families can go through so much pain. It really does redefine a person. So many people on this site have such extra-ordinary strength from being involved in it all.

SAP

« Reply #526 on: March 01, 2015, 11:53:49 AM »
Concerned, I am happy you have closure enough to move on and feel peace, and the love of the departed. Just knowing that Penny is in a better place and there wasn't foul play involved would certainly be a load off your  mind too. It's not an odd feeling and it is good to know you have the strength and wisdom to feel it how you do.

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #527 on: March 04, 2015, 05:22:27 PM »
Concerned, it is a true miracle that Penny was found. The way the story went here and the way it all played out, it certainly gives us the feeling that there is a stronger and greater power then we could ever believe. RIP, Penny and know that you were loved and had many who were looking for you.  You certainly were there, Concerned.  :) :) :) :) :) :)

Concerned

• View Profile
« Reply #528 on: September 03, 2016, 10:32:52 PM »
I was talking to my mother today as we came across three binders of the six years of stories she collected during the search for Penny. They sit on a shelf. All she could do to hope and pray for Penny to come home. You feel awfully helpless when someone goes missing, and you turn to faith, do good things for others, appreciate the small stuff of life. Or, some, and I don't blame them, turn to vices because they hurt so bad. We chose to find the good in every day, and soldier steadfast in our want to uncover where she was...in hopes that perhaps she needed to be found and we could somehow find her. And, if we couldn't perhaps there was someone who would. Three binders for six years that changed our lives. What do you do with them?

Those of you on this site who search endlessly for the missing and the many family members who have ever had to search for a missing loved one know you never give up. There's always hope that they will be found. That they'll come home. That there will be answers. There will be closure. And, when that day comes it too can change your lives. My family was lucky, if you can ever call this scenario lucky. They found Penny on Christian Island, under Hope Island, and next to Faith Island. Washed ashore a beautiful beach, oh how she loved beaches. And, they believe there was no foul play. Miraculously, they said she was well-preserved having been in water for what they believe must have been the full six years. She still had her necklace on, her nightgown on, and a boot. Only a tooth was cracked. My mom wondered if it was the tooth that had held a diamond she had placed in it. We still do not know. Maybe we don't want to know.

I remember the day I heard the news that they found Penny, I decided to go to a place that sold plants and flowers. You see after Penny went missing I never bought flowers for the garden because I figured if I had time to garden then I wasn't trying to find Penny. And, for six years we couldn't enjoy things when we knew she may need to be found. Gardening was one of those things I gave up for the computer, armchair sleuthing, calls, research, and inquiring on the endless search for Penny. So, on that day they told us Penny was found, I found myself alone walking amongst the flower aisle. To appreciate the beauty they held. I must have walked up and down those flowers for hours. Looking back, I must not have known what else to do. After all, the pain of missing someone for so many years gets old to others. So at some point families turn inward and just feel the hurt inside. On that one day, walking up and down smelling the flowers and seeing their beautiful colors, I had much to be happy about, Penny had been found. And, I had much to be sad about, for Penny had been found. It's hard to explain but tears were flowing so strong that I just stopped trying to wipe them. Yet I was at peace. No one at the store seemed to notice and I didn't really make eye contact. But the flowers were in full bloom proving something beautiful was alive and thriving....such a strange feeling. Penny didn't suffer, no one purposively hurt her, she wasn't murdered. There was some relief in knowing that authorities said there was no sign of foul play. She was coming home where we could put her to rest, lovingly. She didn't suffer from what we could tell. And, the way she was found, well, was quite a message to our prayers. She was found. She was found. She was coming home. She was in heaven. In the comfort of heaven, all these years.

So perhaps, it is with sadness that today I also read that they found Jacob Wetterling's remains. He was 11 when he disappeared on October 22, 1989. He was one of those stories we heard about through the years. While his parents attended a dinner party, he was home with his two younger brothers, they were 10 and 8 at the time. Joseph, his brother, and a friend also 11 were coming home from the store when a man wearing a stocking mask held a gun and approached the boys. He asked the boys their ages, then selected Jacob to abduct. I can't even imagine the pain the family members went through all those years with the "what ifs"... what if we didn't go to the dinner party, what if we didn't go to the store, what if we would have all fought the bad guy...what if...

For 27 years, the family has been looking for Jacob. Early in February in the "Just in case you need hope" thread I posted a letter Jacob's mother sent to him in hopes he was out there needing to be found. We all here know what it is like to wonder if someone needs to be found...but they've been doing this for 27 years - holding on to hope. Bless their hearts. When I mentioned that some families turn to faith, to goodness, well their family turned to goodness 100 fold. Jacob Wetterling's mother, Patty helped to create the sex offender registry for Minnesota that became the model for the United States. She developed a parent-to-parent mentoring program called Team HOPE. "Most parents know nothing about child abduction, so when it happens you just scramble for what's out there," she was reported as saying in 2014. She became the chair of the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children. She is known for her relentless search for her son.

"I've had the opportunity to meet many other searching parents and to meet children who come home and I thought, 'What point do you quit? Six months? A year and a half? Eighteen years?' I can't do that." Patty said. "When your child is born, you look into their eyes and you promise them you'll be there for them. I haven't been able to be there for him, but I can honor that promise--that I will never give up on him."

This past February, in honoring what should be Jacob's 38 birthday, she wrote him a letter:

Today, Patty Wetterling, her husband and her sons, family, friends and supporters are probably doing what they can to come to grips with their new reality. Their son was abducted and now they have confirmation that he is deceased. And, on top of all that, they have to wonder if he suffered. They have to realize they won't be seeing him alive again. And, as the police share more details in the coming week, they may even have to face the arrest of a perp, or the search of one. And, a trial where they likely, out of love of their son, have to sit through grueling details, sentencing, and decades of probation requests. Their story ends different than ours did and for that I'm tremendously sad, today. Life isn't always about being fair.

When asked by reporters for comment, Patty text, "Our hearts are broken. There are no words." And, to her son, as if stating to the heavens, she said "I'm sorry." The Jacob Wetterling Resource Center, a foundation that provides education to others in similar situations, said "We are in deep grief. We didn't want Jacob's story to end this way."

I'm just asking that perhaps with all your good, kind hearts, perhaps you can send energy, and love and faith to the Wetterling family today. You all so wonderfuly supported my family through the hard years, and for that we are all still so thankful. Sometimes your hope was all we had. Knowing others cared, meant something to us that I can't describe, even today. Today, perhaps the Wetterlings can feel the love they deserve. It's a sad day for them. After searching for Jacob endlessly and so gallantly for 27 years, they are going to need loving support to get through the weeks to come. It's a different life for them now. Perhaps the one ray of sunshine is that Jacob is going home to his family. Rest in peace little one. You are finally home and in loving arms.

« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 10:58:54 AM by Concerned »

lostlinganer

• Silence, in the face of injustice is complicity wi
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: September 04, 2016, 09:03:18 AM »
I had read that this morning C;  it broke my heart to think how easy it was for that pervert to just "take" that 11 year old boy off the street right in the presence of his young friend ... while they were simply riding their bike and skooter.  It is not safe anywhere, anytime!  Kids are at risk from the time they are born.  Even adults have a difficult time keeping safe.  At the risk of sounding like I am encouraging extreme paranoia to "keep safe" - I still maintain the idea that you can never teach children enough reality.  Forewarned is forearmed;  tell them the facts before ever letting them out of your sight on their own.  You are not taking away their childhood that way;  you are insuring their lives by teaching them to watch out for themselves and each other.    http://www.cnn.com/2016/09/03/us/jacob-wetterling-remains-found/index.html

Concerned

• View Profile
« Reply #530 on: September 04, 2016, 12:03:32 PM »
Hi Lost (miss talking with you but you are always in my thoughts),
Isn't it sad when our kids can't be kids. When our property isn't secure enough. When people have sick desires and they pray on children too small for them. I'll never get it. It's also sad when we can't in our high tech world and with all our intelligence, together find ways to build a culture that would never think of harming a child, much less let perps get away with their dispictable crimes. We can devote monies toward defense tactics and offense tactics, but who is paying attention to leadership, sociology, and creating a culture full of love? I sometimes think our efforts are all focused in the wrong ways. A non-ending cycle downward, instead of upward. How did we get to a world like this full of bullying, fear, and such crimes?

Jacob's perp likely lived 20 plus years doing more if this and without paying for this. Something is wrong with that. Very wrong.

« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 10:48:43 AM by Concerned »

lostlinganer

• View Profile
« Reply #531 on: September 04, 2016, 07:21:25 PM »
I miss the same C. 

You and I have always had the same mind set ... that to which I might remark a point I have alluded to many times in many threads - albeit my personal opinion -

Quote from Concerned:
I sometimes think our efforts are all focused in the wrong ways

I always feel the same about pedophiles C;  as long as there are practicing "closet pedophiles" in the "just us" system of this country, we will never, ever get to the point where there is no pity for such animals in the courtroom.... ergo, the much needed crucial element of "deterrence" will never, ever blossom from a much needed "zero tolerance" for such perverted behavior and horrific treatment of children. 

The only way vicious sex offenders face real justice is if they are thrown in with the general prison population, but they seldom are;  they are always inadvertently (if not always directly) protected by those in power and position, who share the same perverted weaknesses... and by those raking in the mighty dollar. 

When it comes to the most serious of crimes in the world, it seems that our advanced system of "questionable" fairness has overgrown its application toward "justice" .... and we are regressing instead of progressing in this regard.

Concerned

• View Profile
« Reply #532 on: September 05, 2016, 06:49:05 AM »
It does seem more sophisticated if the people with the same weaknesses gain power they should be easy to find by the decisions they make and allow. Then what is needed is from the top down to have systems in place that see those patterns, correct those patterns, stop those patterns. Otherwise, their seats will be taken, too. And then what will they be working with and for. I can only think you and your family have seen enough of this in a slightly different way, already. And, who is the victim, an innocent child. That, in and of itself, should make a person with a conscience do the right thing. Not feed the wrong thing.

Concerned

• View Profile
« Reply #533 on: April 28, 2019, 06:36:07 PM »
I was feeling a little meloncholy today, not quite sure why. It's spring and another change of seasons, I guess. I took a walk around the yard and noticed tulips where they weren't suppose to be; popping up in the middle of the lawn, between the bushes, peeking out from behind view. That's when I remembered that Penny's parents use to have tulips in their garden. They purchased a new plant every year they were together. Their tulips were so resilient and hardy. These Tulips today looked cute and carefree all over the lawn. Perhaps a squirrel carried them to their new destination; replanted them. Who knows.

My mind wandered from Penny's parents to Penny. I still feel so much relief that she was found. I wonder what it would be like if she were still here? I know people don't live forever, but does that mean that we can't wish they did sometimes? In mid-May it will be five years since Penny was found; 10 years since she disappeared. I know I've always said during our search that I just wanted to know that she didn't need to be found. That she wasn't hurting. I'm truly thankful for that. But, it is days like this that I always ask "Why?" A part of me still needs to know what happened. When they found her, the authorities spoke directly to her next of kin, her children, but not to Penny's siblings and family. We really didn't get the full story. Even if we did, I don't know if we ever really do get closure. None of us asked to be put in this position but have been left to deal with it in our own way. Sometimes, I just wish I could let it go....

But Penny is up in heaven with her parents, and we are down here with crazy and carefree tulips all over the yard. Replanted, and I don't know why. But, somehow I feel there is a message in that. I think I'll leave them be - cute and carefree.

Have faith

• View Profile
« Reply #534 on: April 30, 2019, 08:31:33 PM »
I was feeling a little meloncholy today, not quite sure why. It's spring and another change of seasons, I guess. I took a walk around the yard and noticed tulips where they weren't suppose to be; popping up in the middle of the lawn, between the bushes, peeking out from behind view. That's when I remembered that Penny's parents use to have tulips in their garden. They purchased a new plant every year they were together. Their tulips were so resilient and hardy. These Tulips today looked cute and carefree all over the lawn. Perhaps a squirrel carried them to their new destination; replanted them. Who knows.

My mind wandered from Penny's parents to Penny. I still feel so much relief that she was found. I wonder what it would be like if she were still here? I know people don't live forever, but does that mean that we can't wish they did sometimes? In mid-May it will be five years since Penny was found; 10 years since she disappeared. I know I've always said during our search that I just wanted to know that she didn't need to be found. That she wasn't hurting. I'm truly thankful for that. But, it is days like this that I always ask "Why?" A part of me still needs to know what happened. When they found her, the authorities spoke directly to her next of kin, her children, but not to Penny's siblings and family. We really didn't get the full story. Even if we did, I don't know if we ever really do get closure. None of us asked to be put in this position but have been left to deal with it in our own way. Sometimes, I just wish I could let it go....

But Penny is up in heaven with her parents, and we are down here with crazy and carefree tulips all over the yard. Replanted, and I don't know why. But, somehow I feel there is a message in that. I think I'll leave them be - cute and carefree.

Conccerned, you found new tulips ready to pop up in your yard that you never planted. It will be ten years since Penny went missing in less than two weeks. I would also take this as a message.  Penny wants you to truly find peace of mind, wants to thank you for caring, and wants you to know that she is in a good place.  She knows how much you love gardening. You will never know the answer to "why" until you two hook up in heaven. Love your flowers in the moment, and know that answers will come later.

One of your quotes:

"I remember the day I heard the news that they found Penny, I decided to go to a place that sold plants and flowers. You see after Penny went missing I never bought flowers for the garden because I figured if I had time to garden then I wasn't trying to find Penny. And, for six years we couldn't enjoy things when we knew she may need to be found. Gardening was one of those things I gave up..."

lostlinganer

• View Profile
« Reply #535 on: May 01, 2019, 08:27:10 AM »
... beautiful logic faith!

Concerned

• View Profile
« Reply #536 on: May 08, 2019, 11:33:52 AM »
Thank you, Have Faith and Lost. I came on Unsolved today to post something new, and noticed your thoughts. Thank you for the kind words.

Oddly, while here a song came up in my newsfeed. Penny's sister and brothers called her "Sissy" as she was the youngest sister. This song in my newsfeed is named "Sissy's Song" by Alan Jackson.

Sometimes, I guess, you just have to listen.

I'm thankful for this site, a place we can go where people understand. Thank you.

Source:
Sissy's Song by Alan Jackson
https://youtu.be/zCvgXw-Bh04