Author Topic: SANDRA CANTU, | CALIFORNIA - MARCH, 2009 (Body Found 4/6/09)  (Read 71114 times)

Edsonmom

• View Profile
Re: SANDRA CANTU, | CALIFORNIA - MARCH, 2009 (Body Found 4/6/09)
« Reply #256 on: March 15, 2010, 08:53:19 PM »
Probe targets Huckaby investigators
Defender may ask judge to toss some evidence
March 03, 2010 12:00 AM

Several Tracy police detectives investigating Melissa Huckaby's alleged murder and rape of 8-year-old Sandra Cantu have fallen under an internal probe themselves, court papers say. Huckaby's public defender appears ready to argue that a Tracy detective violated his client's constitutional rights - triggering the internal investigation - by making an undisclosed comment to her the day she was arrested. San Joaquin County Deputy Public Defender Sam Behar is expected to ask a judge to toss evidence out of Huckaby's upcoming death penalty trial based on the officer's alleged violation. Behar's arguments are scheduled for a weeklong hearing next month.

Behar's motion, on file at the Stockton courthouse, says that Huckaby made a statement the day she was arrested. Tracy police Detective Timothy Bauer used her statement to get a judge's signature on search warrants. But on that same day, Detective Nate Cogburn told Huckaby something that landed "several" Tracy police detectives under an internal investigation to determine if they violated any rules, Behar's motion says.

Behar says in court papers that San Joaquin County Deputy District Attorney Thomas Testa sent him a memo explaining the internal probe. Court papers reveal neither statement by Cogburn nor Huckaby. Behar says in the motion that he is preparing to argue that police violated his client's constitutional protection from unreasonable search and seizure. He also says he will argue that detectives illegally compelled Huckaby to make incriminating statements.

Huckaby's next appearance in a Stockton courtroom is scheduled for March 29. That's when Behar will say if he is ready to go ahead with his arguments to suppress the evidence in the hearing set to begin April 12.

http://www.recordnet.com/apps/pbcs.d...24/-1/a_news02

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: May 27, 2010, 08:03:28 PM »
Very interesting. Glad they were able to convict her for this.

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #260 on: May 28, 2010, 06:07:07 PM »
Edsonmom, thanks for posting that information. I am so happy this case is over and she has been convicted. The fact that she is never going to see the light of day or be free again is a great relief. The death penalty would be great, but this is closure and the end of a very horrible crime. God bless her mom and family and friends and I hope they can find some peace now that this monster is never going to be free. 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Edsonmom

• View Profile
« Reply #261 on: May 28, 2010, 08:20:37 PM »
You are very welcome Cape.. I for one, wishes she would have got the death penalty.. This moster deserved to die for what she did to poor little Sandra..I am glad she will be in prison for life, and not be able to hurt anyone else.. but I also hope that she NEVER gets to see her own daughter again..Make her have to face what Sandra's family is going through.. Take her rights to see her daughter away for life..
I pray this will bring some sort of closure to Sandra's family & friends..and that they may be able to have some sort of a "normal" life now..
RIP little one.. Justice has been served for your honor!!

debbiec

• Administrator
  • Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: June 14, 2010, 04:13:02 PM »
Killer of Calif. girl found in suitcase gets life

47 minutes ago

What's this
By Terry Collins, The Associated Press

STOCKTON, Calif. - A Sunday school teacher who pleaded guilty to kidnapping and murdering a neighbour girl in Northern California made a tearful apology to the victim's family Monday as she was sentenced to prison for the rest of her life.

The punishment came after Melissa Huckaby, 29, reached a plea deal with prosecutors that took the death penalty and the possibility of parole off the table in the killing of 8-year-old Sandra Cantu, whose body was found in a suitcase pulled from an irrigation pond.

Huckaby offered no motive for the 2009 killing as she addressed the girl's mother, Maria Chavez. The victim was a playmate of Huckaby's daughter.

"I still cannot understand why I did what I did. This is a question I will struggle with for the rest of my life," Huckaby said, her voice trembling.

She said Sandra "did not suffer, and I did not sexually molest her."

"I'm asking you, Maria, for your forgiveness," Huckaby said. "I can't imagine forgiving someone who harmed my daughter. I hope someday you can forgive me."

Authorities had provided few details about the killing until Monday, when Judge Linda Lofthus lifted a gag order.

Prosecutors released a summary of their investigation that showed the cause of Sandra's death was "homicidal asphyxiation."

The summary included a pathologist's report saying she was found with a piece of bloody cloth tied around her head.

She also had injuries to her external genitalia that were consistent with a bent, bloodstained rolling pin found inside a church where Huckaby had taught, according to the report.

The blood stain matched Sandra's blood.

The victim's body also contained alprazolam, a prescription sedative commonly used to treat anxiety. Prescription bottles of alprazolam were found in Huckaby's purse and home, prosecutors said.

Huckaby entered her surprise plea last month to first-degree murder with the special circumstance of kidnapping. All other charges, including allegations that she sexually abused the girl, were dropped as part of the plea deal.

Sandra was last seen on a surveillance video walking through the Orchard Estates Mobile Home Park on March 29, 2009. Prosecutors said Monday the girl can be seen looking in the direction of Huckaby's home before she goes off-camera.

Eight minutes later, the tape shows Huckaby driving her car from the mobile home park in the direction of her grandfather's church, where the bloody rolling pin was found.

A massive search ended April 6, 2009, when her body was found stuffed in a black suitcase pulled from the pond a few miles (kilometres) from the community where she lived.

A couple later told authorities that they saw Huckaby and her SUV at the pond on the day of Sandra's disappearance.

Huckaby was arrested less than a week later after telling a reporter the suitcase belonged to her but had been stolen from her driveway the day Sandra disappeared.

Sleuth

« Reply #263 on: June 15, 2010, 01:52:00 AM »
I sure wish there was no plea deal and Huckaby had gotten the DP. I'm wondering if it was a man if a plea deal would have been given? I'm also wondering if little Sandra's mother had a say in this plea deal? What a psychopath, to keep this scumbag in jail for the next 70 years at the tax payers expense. Pffffffffffft.

Edsonmom

• View Profile
« Reply #264 on: June 18, 2010, 11:03:56 PM »
 :oOMG Poor Sandra :'( :'(.. That sick b**ch never should have got a deal.. She should have got death..Why the hell do they even do plea bargins in cases such as this..