Author Topic: SANDRA CANTU, | CALIFORNIA - MARCH, 2009 (Body Found 4/6/09)  (Read 71181 times)

Edsonmom

• View Profile
Re: SANDRA CANTU, | CALIFORNIA - MARCH, 2009 (Body Found 4/6/09)
« Reply #240 on: June 03, 2009, 06:43:34 PM »
No Des she has not entered a plea as of yet, and yes was charged with more charges. next court date is on the 12th of this month.

Behar said his client would not be entering a plea to the charges at this time because he needed more time to review more than 1,000 pages of discovery documents and evidence in the case.

Loftus set June 12 for further arraignment.

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #241 on: June 04, 2009, 03:44:35 PM »
1000 pages of court documents, that is certainly an extensive file since March. I worked in the court system and typed many pages of transcript, boy, 1000 pages on one case that is discovery evidence. Well there certainly is a lot of evidence then. I believe the defense is stalling, because he is going to plead her guilty by reason of insanity or something like that. If he does that then nobody will know the terrible things that happened to Sandra. There will be a statement possibly the by prosecutor and then the defense will plead for her and it will be short and sweet, they the lawyer wants it. I daresay, I hope this woman is also confined for a very long period of time. And she does look mentally ill and if that is the case, she should never be released from a mental institution. Those are my views on it. ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Edsonmom

• View Profile
Re: SANDRA CANTU, Huckaby pleas not guilty
« Reply #242 on: June 23, 2009, 10:45:01 PM »
Jun 12, 2009 2:04 pm US/Pacific Huckaby Pleads Not Guilty In Sandra Cantu CaseSTOCKTON (CBS/AP) ― 
Melissa Huckaby, the woman accused killing a Sandra Cantu last April, has pleaded not guilty in court.

Huckaby, was back in a San Joaquin County Superior Court Friday after being charged with the murder, rape and kidnapping of eight-year-old Sandra Cantu of Tracy. During the 10-minute hearing, the lawyer for Huckaby entered the plea on her behalf. He also denied the special enhancement charge of rape.

Deputy District Attorney Thomas Testa filed a request with the court Tuesday, asking the judge to enter a plea for Huckaby if she refuses.

If eventually convicted of the charges against her, the 28-year-old Huckaby could face the death penalty.

Melissa Huckaby's mother also appeared for the first time in court since proceedings began.

Authorities say Huckaby killed Sandra Cantu, who was a playmate of Huckaby's daughter. The girl's body was later found stuffed in a suitcase in a nearby irrigation pond. Friday's plea comes after increased pressure by prosecutors to have Huckaby enter a plea. Her lawyer, Sam Behar, has repeatedly requested more time to review evidence in the case.

If convicted, Huckaby could face the death penalty.

This was Huckaby's fourth appearance since she was arrested in early April.

The judge scheduled her preliminary hearing to start Sept. 24.

http://cbs13.com/breakingnews/sandra.cantu.court.2.1042525.html

Edsonmom

• View Profile

openthebox

• View Profile
« Reply #244 on: July 07, 2009, 05:28:17 PM »
It was said somewhere is this thread that it is rare for a woman to kill a child. I beg to differ. I think it happens often but it is rare for a woman to kill her OWN child. This is just my opinion and I have no stats on that altho I will try to find some as I am really curious now.

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #245 on: July 07, 2009, 06:54:35 PM »
Openthebox, I think Des meant, it is extremely rare for a mother to murder her own child and especially the age of Karissa. It is also extremely rare as stated for a female to murder a child and sexually abuse her. These are cases that are rare. We all know that there are many crimes against children, but I believe this is what Des meant or she can tell you herself. ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

openthebox

• View Profile
« Reply #246 on: July 09, 2009, 02:03:56 AM »
My Bad! Some where back I said that it was rare for a woman to murder her own kid. It was supposed to be rare that a woman kills someoneelses kid (as opposed to her own!)

Edsonmom

• View Profile
« Reply #248 on: July 16, 2009, 12:58:26 AM »
Jul 8, 2009 6:34 am US/Pacific Melissa Huckaby's Ex-Husband Wins Custody Battle

The ex-husband of the woman accused of kidnapping and killing Sandra Cantu has won custody of the couple's own daughter.

Melissa Huckaby's ex-husband has won custody of their 5-year-old daughter.

25-year-old Johnny Huckaby has been granted custody of their daughter, Madison.

Court records show that Melissa's mother, Judy Lawless, will be allowed to visit the girl, but cannot allow her contact with her mother.
http://cbs13.com/local/huckaby.custody.battle.2.1076759.html

Edsonmom

• View Profile
« Reply #249 on: July 16, 2009, 01:01:33 AM »
Newspaper's Calls Monitored In Cantu Case
Record In Stockton Receives Letter From District Attorney
POSTED: 9:56 am PDT July 14, 2009
UPDATED: 7:27 pm PDT July 14, 2009

STOCKTON, Calif. -- Police investigating the death of an 8-year-old Tracy girl found stuffed in a suitcase used telephone wiretaps to monitor calls in the case.

The Record in Stockton reported Tuesday it had received a letter from the San Joaquin County District Attorney's office informing the newspaper that its calls were among those monitored.

"It does have a bit of a chilling effect. If you are talking to news sources often in a confidential manner and to not know if law enforcement is listening in on those," Mike Klocke, editor of The Record, said. "It just makes you pause and think, how are we going to approach our jobs? At the same time, we certainly don't begrudge law enforcement using the tools they need to try and solve cases."

Connie Lawless, the grandmother of the woman charged with murdering Sandra Cantu, told the newspaper she and several members of the church her husband leads received similar letters.

The letter said calls were monitored from April 8, two days after Cantu was found, until April 13.

Melissa Huckaby's cell phone was wiretapped, along with the home phone of Connie and Lane Lawless, according to the DA's office.

Phones at The Record were not wiretapped.

There were other people whose conversations were monitored, the DA's office said, but it's unknown who they are right now because of a gag order in the case.

Judge Richard Vlavianos signed an order to authorize the wiretapping.

http://www.kcra.com/news/20050487/detail.html?treets=sac&tml=sac_break&ts=T&tmi=sac_break_1_12050107142009

Edsonmom

• View Profile
Re: SANDRA CANTU, | CALIFORNIA - Huckaby was indicted
« Reply #251 on: August 20, 2009, 09:48:52 PM »
http://www.recordnet.com/apps/pbcs.d.../A_SPECIAL0263http://tracypress.com/pages/full_story/push?article-Indictment+against+tearful+Huckaby+read+in+court+today%20&id=3203614-Indictment+against+tearful+Huckaby+read+in+court+today&instance=home_news_lead_story

The San Joaquin County grand jury indicted Huckaby on five counts: murder with the allegation of kidnapping; sex with a child 10 years old or younger; child abuse and endangerment; furnishing a harmful substance to a child; and furnishing a harmful substance to an adult.

The murder indictment carries two special circumstances: lewd and lascivious acts on a child, and rape by instrument.

The harmful substance indictments stem from charges prosecutors filed in May alleging Huckaby tried to poison a 7-year-old girl and a 37-year-old man. The girl recovered. The man has not been found.

Huckaby began crying when the indictment was read.

Edsonmom

• View Profile
Re: SANDRA CANTU, | Death Penalty Sought for Melissa Huckaby
« Reply #252 on: September 10, 2009, 11:07:04 PM »
Death Penalty Sought for Melissa Huckaby, Sandra Cantu's Suspected Killer
 C. Johnson  Tim Geraghty     4 hrs ago
STOCKTON, CA (AP) -- The San Joaquin County district attorney says he will seek the death penalty against the Tracy woman charged with kidnapping, raping and killing 8-year-old Sandra Cantu last March.

In a Stockton courtroom Thursday, prosecutor Thomas Testa, representing James Willett, announced they'll seek capital punishment for 28-year-old Melissa Huckaby.

Huckaby entered a not guilty plea to Cantu's murder and additional charges she drugged a 7-year-old girl and 37-year-old man.

The former Sunday school teacher also wanted to fire her court-appointed attorney. Following what is known as a Marsden motion in which the judge and the defendant meet to discuss the matter, the judge denied Huckaby's request.

No trial date was set.

In July, a grand jury indicted Huckaby. Prosecutors want a speedy trial because the case involves a minor.

"Memories fade over time. As a general rule, the defense wants to drag a case, witnesses move away, memories face, evidence is lost or destroyed. It's been my practice to move a case along as quickly as possible, so events are fresh in the mind," said Testa.

Cantu's body was found stuffed in a suitcase in a Tracy irrigation pond 10 days after she vanished.

Huckaby and attorneys return to court in about two weeks, when a trial date is expected to be set.

News10/KXTV and The Associated Press
Copyright 2009 / All Rights Reserved
http://www.news10.net/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=66640&catid=2

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #253 on: September 11, 2009, 03:40:47 PM »
Well MH sure looks like she is in another world, but she is not a bumbling mess when she decides she wants to fire her court appointed attorney. She is crazy like a fox. Thank heavens, the right judge is listening to this request and has denied it. I sure do hope that there is a trial date set soon. As the Crown says, people go away, evidence gets lost and then the Crown has a hard time proving their case. God bless Sandra's family and I hope we will hear that awaited word as this woman is convicted and sentenced to death for this terrible crime. RIP Sandra. :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Edsonmom

• View Profile
« Reply #254 on: March 15, 2010, 08:51:05 PM »
Judge grants request by Huckaby's attorney for evidenciary hearing delay
February 13, 2010 12:00 AM
<snipped>
A Tuesday court hearing for Melissa Huckaby, a Tracy woman charged with the kidnapping, rape and murder of 8-year-old Sandra Cantu, has been delayed at the defense attorney's request, a prosecutor said Friday.

San Joaquin County Deputy Public Defender Sam Behar wanted more time to prepare for a hearing on his motion to suppress evidence to be used against his client, San Joaquin County Deputy District Attorney Thomas Testa said.

The suppression hearing in Huckaby's case was rescheduled for April 12 and it could last up to one week. Huckaby is next due back in court on March 29 for a readiness conference, Testa said.

Despite the delay, Huckaby's trial date remains set for Oct. 18. The 28-year-old faces a death sentence if she is convicted on all charges
http://www.recordnet.com/apps/pbcs.d...A_NEWS/2130327