Author Topic: SANDRA CANTU, | CALIFORNIA - MARCH, 2009 (Body Found 4/6/09)  (Read 70745 times)

Edsonmom

• View Profile
Re: SANDRA CANTU, MISSING IN CALIFORNIA - MARCH, 2009
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2009, 01:38:48 PM »
   Police End Major Ground Search for Sandra Cantu
Created by Brian Shields on 4/6/2009 9:38:22 AM

TRACY, Calif. (AP) - Tracy police are calling an end to large-scale ground operations as the search for missing eight-year-old Sandra Cantu continues.

After about 300 volunteers and law enforcement officers fanned out across an area of open fields Saturday, a police spokesman says investigators are now focusing on leads that have been coming in since Sandra disappeared.

Police have received more than 1,000 tips since the little girl was last seen on March 27.

Over the weekend, police released video surveillance footage showing her skipping along a neighborhood street the same day she disappeared on March 27.

The reward money for information leading to Sandra's whereabouts is now close to $30,000.

(Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press.  All Rights Reserved.)
http://www.kron.com/News/ArticleView/tabid/298/smid/1126/ArticleID/947/reftab/36/t/Police-End-Major-Ground-Search-for-Sandra-Cantu/Default.aspx

Edsonmom

• View Profile
Sealed Container Probed In Cantu's Disappearance
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2009, 01:43:17 PM »
Sealed Container Probed In Cantu's Disappearance
Tracy Girl Disappeared March 27
POSTED: 11:38 am PDT April 6, 2009
UPDATED: 12:36 pm PDT April 6, 2009

Sandra Cantu, seen here in a family photo, disappeared March 27. See more images of Sandra.

SAN JOAQUIN COUNTY, Calif. -- A sealed container was found Monday in a San Joaquin County irrigation ditch, and investigators haven't ruled out the possibility that it could be related to the disappearance of Sandra Cantu.

Video: Details About Container Discovery

San Joaquin Sheriff's Department spokesman Les Garcia said the container is considered a suspicious item.

Cantu, 8, disappeared March 27 from a Tracy mobile home park.

A farming operation found the container Monday morning while draining an irrigation ditch by Bacchetti Road.

Tracy police spokesman Sgt. Tony Sheneman said he doesn't know how big the container is, but he noted it's unusual for a container to show up in an irrigation ditch.

Police will hold a 3:30 p.m. media update about the case.

Get Updates: E-Mail Alerts | RSS Feeds

Volunteers went out on their own this weekend after authorities shut the doors at a fire station that had become the headquarters for the search for the girl.

Police said the community has already been saturated with fliers featuring Cantu's photo.

Home security video of Cantu released Saturday was taken shortly before she disappeared. But police said the footage, which shows the girl skipping inside the mobile home park, hasn't generated many tips.

Cantu is 4 feet tall, weighs 45 pounds, has a birthmark on her right cheek, and has brown hair and brown eyes. The Jacobson Elementary student was last seen wearing a pink Hello Kitty T-shirt and black leggings.

Investigators went to a north Tracy irrigation ditch, where a farm operation found a suspicious container.

Several search warrants have been issued in the case, and several people were questioned in the past week. So far, no arrests have been made.

A man who was questioned Friday came voluntarily to the police station, Lt. Jeremy Watney said. He was driven to the station because he did not have transportation.

On Friday evening, a witness saw a man who looked like the person who was taken in for police questioning returning to the park. He walked out of a car and went up to unit No. 43. Someone at the door gave him a hug and he walked inside. The man fit the description of a person wearing a plaid Pendleton shirt and scruffy hair who was being driven by police earlier in the day.

While the girl's father, Daniel Cantu, is not a suspect in the case, details have emerged about his criminal past.

A search of court records in San Joaquin County Superior Court showed five criminal cases involving Daniel Cantu dating between 2001 and 2005. Charges included possession of a controlled substance; resisting, obstructing or delaying a peace officer; possession of a controlled substance for sale; and possession of a hypodermic needle or syringe.

Records also show the court assigned Cantu to drug court at one point, but he was dropped from the program.

According to the Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation, Cantu was sentenced to two years in prison for possession of a controlled substance for sale. He served 13 months between September 2005 and October 2006.

Anyone with information should call the Tracy Police Department at 209-831-4550.

KCRA 3 tried to talk to Cantu about his criminal history, but he became upset and declined to answer questions.

Cantu, who lives in Mexico, was interviewed Thursday by police in Tracy. He said he took a polygraph test. Cantu was also interviewed Wednesday by police.

"We're leaving the door open on everybody," Watney said last week.

Stay tuned to KCRA 3 and refresh KCRA.com for the latest on this story.
Copyright 2009 by KCRA.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

http://www.kcra.com/news/19107764/detail.html

Edsonmom

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2009, 04:40:55 PM »
Video on this keeps comming up, lets us watch for awhile, then shuts down..

LIVE VIDEO: Evidence search in Tracy
An FBI evidence team is examining a suspicious container discovered in a drainage pond in the case of Sandra Cantu.

http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/livenow?id=6747565
« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 06:03:47 PM by Edsonmom »

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2009, 05:45:27 PM »
I still believe that Sandra is in that trailer park. I do believe that if they did get bloodhounds on the last known place she was that they may get a hit and follow what happened to her. I am just wondering how far away from a main road she was at the time she disappeared. It is likely she was held captive in one of the trailer homes on the grounds. A lot of time is going by with no answers to where she is. This is not very good either in relation to her disappearance. These children that are missing is a very scary situation. Time is of the essence here in finding Sandra and her mother must be in a panic right now. I hope that news comes soon and that she will be back home safe and sound. Maybe they can get the help of a psychic to hone in on any information on where Sandra may be. ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Edsonmom

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2009, 05:56:18 PM »
I hate to say it Cape, but with all the coverage this container is getting, I would say this is not looking good.. The medical examiner is also there, so that means, there is a body involved. FBI were called in for it, evidence is being tagged in the area..roads are blocked off, and it is only 2 miles from where Sandra went missing.. I am keeping a close eye on this story tonight, I will let you know what happens.. In the media report released at 3:30 they said that the container will be moved to the coroners office tonight, and opened tonight..

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2009, 06:04:42 PM »
Edsonmom, thanks for this update on Sandra. I have not seen any news today, I had company and wasn't getting any updates on CNN. I will turn NG on for a period of time or 17 and see what comes up. I was not aware of this container until I started reading the posts tonite. Like you say, it doesn't sound good that they are making so much of this container. Such bad news for sure. ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

lostlinganer

• Silence, in the face of injustice is complicity wi
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2009, 07:10:26 PM »
you can watch this unfolding live at this link.......
http://www.kron.com/News/WatchKRON4NewsLiveOnline/tabid/354/Default.aspx

Edsonmom

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2009, 07:21:55 PM »
You are very welcome cape.. I have such a bad feeling about this..

Latest live video feeds have shown that Sandra's dad is at the scene. He was told not to talk to reporters.. Container was first thought to be a suitcase with a red ribbon tied around it, but now looks like some kind of large bag.. 4 people had to lift it. FBI used a special device to see what was inside, but have not disclosed any information. Last video showed "container in cornors van leaving the scene, 2 cops in fron, & 2 behind..This scene was searched last week, and nothing was found..
It took 7 hours from the time, this container was reported, for them to release it from the scene. detectives are still there collecting evedence.. This does not look good at all..

Edsonmom

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2009, 07:24:09 PM »
Thanks Lost.. there is also live feed at this one as well.. as I have stated though, it does cut in and out, to what we are allowed to see.

http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/livenow?id=6747565

Silverdog

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2009, 07:31:16 PM »
I didnt hear about this today until just now when I logged on here. I have a sick, sick, sick feeling in my stomach...she's in that container.
I feel shakey, almost like I want to cry because I didnt think this situation would turn out like this, but....yesterday, I felt really like all my hope was lost, she's gone....
Prayers for this family!!!

lostlinganer

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2009, 07:39:18 PM »
Edson; that link is just at a stand still for me..... I'm in Nova Scotia....but this link keeps streaming news except for during the commercials.....
you can watch this unfolding live at this link.......
http://www.kron.com/News/WatchKRON4NewsLiveOnline/tabid/354/Default.aspx

Edsonmom

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2009, 07:44:57 PM »
If this is true.. This would not be good for the police.. very freaky if it is true..

Oakland Man Says Police Didn't Follow Cantu Lead

Apr 6, 2009 5:39 am US/Pacific

Get the latest in the cast at http://CBS13.com/SandraCantuTRACY (CBS13) ― 
Click to enlarge
 Eight-year-year old Sandra Cantu
CBS

An Oakland man wants answers from Tracy Police. He claims he gave them a tip about Sandra Cantu's whereabouts and they didn't follow up.

Johnny Williams says he called a tip into police Friday, but never got a response. He said he saw a man in a boat with a girl where the police had been searching. He says the man in the boat's behavior was erratic and suspicious.

"Everyone is hoping they may find this little girl," said Williams. "Someone out there may have the right tip and the police are not following up on it and that's bad."

Police say not every tip they receive will be answered, but they do classify all tips as high, medium or low priority. High priority tips are answered immediately.

http://cbs13.com/crime/tip.boat.sandra.2.977073.html

lostlinganer

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2009, 07:57:50 PM »
Edson; If this is the lost child's body, I hope this Oakland man takes this all the way...every media he can get his hands on.   I wish he would drop in here so we could encourage him.  Seems like half the time, the cops protect the other side!

Edsonmom

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2009, 08:11:10 PM »
I agree 100 % Lost.. I pray that it is not Sandra.. but watch the first video, of them moving the bag to the coroner's van, as they get closer, you can almost tell there is a body in there, and they also have a gurney there..

http://cbs13.com/breakingnews/tracy.pond.tony.2.977550.html

Edsonmom

• View Profile
UPDATE: Announcement expected @ 8:00 PM
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2009, 08:40:14 PM »
UPDATE: Announcement expected @ 8:00 PM
it is now 8:39 Alberta time, that would make the announcement in less than half an hour from now..