Author Topic: David Fortin, 14, MISSING, Alma, Quebec, February 10, 2009  (Read 18093 times)

mauvelilac

David Fortin, 14, MISSING, Alma, Quebec, February 10, 2009
« on: March 11, 2009, 05:32:25 PM »
Note: This article didn't have a picture but as soon as I have some time, I'll post one.
The Canadian Press
Anonymous donor offers $10,000 reward for return of bullied missing Quebec teen

By Sidhartha Banerjee, The Canadian Press

MONTREAL - An anonymous donor is offering a $10,000 reward for the safe return of a Quebec teen who reportedly was bullied so mercilessly that his family believes he ran away from home.

A Montreal community organization announced the reward Wednesday with the hope someone who might have had contact with David Fortin, 14, in the past month will come forward with information.

With the offer came yet another impassioned plea from Fortin's distraught mother.

"Come back, David, come back into our arms," a tearful Caroline Lachance said.

"We need you so much. Have faith in us. I have faith in you, baby. I love you."

Fortin disappeared Feb. 10 from Alma, about 250 kilometres north of Quebec City.

The teen was supposed to catch a bus headed to school the morning he vanished but he never made it.

Quebec provincial police say they have few leads but believe Fortin ran away from home.

Fortin was reportedly teased because he had a speech impediment and his parents have indicated he was the victim of intense bullying.

Investigators think the teenager might have hitchhiked from Alma, but admittedly have little information about where he may have ended up.

Police have said Fortin didn't have a cellphone or a credit card and had access to little money, if any.

"If someone is helping him to survive at the moment, a reward might loosen lips," said the boy's father, Eric Fortin.

He and Lachance travelled to Montreal this week after reports the teen may have been spotted at a subway station.

But the sighting turned out to be unfounded.

Neither parent has been working in recent weeks as they devote their time to finding their son.

The parents spent much of Tuesday putting up posters in Montreal and distributing leaflets to passersby.

Police say at least five people reported seeing someone matching Fortin's description in different towns south of Alma.

Authorities urged people who think they've seen the boy to contact them.

Thousands of people have joined groups on the popular social networking site Facebook offering support and hoping for Fortin's safe return.

Sun Youth Organization is administering the reward money on behalf of the donor - described simply as a father who felt compelled to come forward because his own children were victims of intimidation at school.

The group's Tommy Kulczyk said it has assisted in solving 20 out of 53 cases since 1991and have doled out some $70,000 in reward money over that period.

Kulczyk said the rewards often results in new interest - between 150 and 200 calls - and serve to remind the population a case still matters.

"You know how it is in the media - page 1 today, page 6 tomorrow and page 46 in three days," said Kulczyk.

"When you bring a reward out, it reminds the population that this case still matters."

Kulczyk said the family still has a lot of hope and he urged the population to register Fortin's face in their minds.

"If everyone takes a good look at the photo, we have a chance of quickly finding David Fortin," he said.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/090311/national/que_missing_teen

mauvelilac

Re: David Fortin, 14, MISSING, Alma, Quebec, February 10, 2009
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2009, 05:40:01 PM »

Video showed no signs of missing Quebec teen: parents
Parents drove 500 kilometres from Alma to screen surveillance video
« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 05:43:25 PM by mauvelilac »

Sleuth

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2010, 09:10:58 PM »
I'm at a loss for words. What this young man went thorough, being bullied from grade school to High School.How did that happen that it went on for so long!?  ??? ??? ??? Without the school admin and school board and Parents of these bullies not doing anything to stop it. How cruel. My heart goes out to this young man. I so hope he is Okay. David call home and let your family and aunt know that you are okay. 

Concerned

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2010, 07:56:43 PM »
Trucker says he saw missing Quebec teen in Winnipeg

Submitted by Jasmine on 16 February, 2010 - 17:24.
David Fortin, a missing teenager from Alma in the Lac-Saint-Jean region, might have been spotted in Winnipeg.

It's believed the 14-year-old ran away from his home.

He disappeared one year ago this past Wednesday.

Now the Missing Children's Network has received a tip saying he was in Winnipeg earlier this month.

A truck driver filling up for gas says the teenager knocked on his door, asked if he was going to Montreal, and identified himself as David before leaving.

http://montreal.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20100212/mtl_fortin_sigh...

Concerned

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2010, 08:08:51 PM »
Bullying is a very serious event in a child's life. David provides an example of a child who tried to go to many seeking assistance. It takes a lot for a child to ask for assistance. Schools, police, friends, parents need to take this seriously. The child is often ridiculed in school, but there is life after school. So, providing the utmost in protection and removing them from the situation if school officials and police don't take it seriously is important, as David is an example for others.

David if you are out there, you don't have to go back to the area or the school that those children who teased you are. But the world is a big place and calling your parents and discussing some new options they may have now learned about, may provide you a safe alternative. Maybe you can find peace and new direction, but safely. There are elements out there that can be more cruel than those you dealt with at school. You do not need more of that in your life. So, please let those that love you, and some really caring people put their minds together with yours and work at a wonderful alternative. It starts with a call home, though. I think everybody has now learned how very important this is to you and your future. Just one call. If nothing else, so they know you are ok. They need to know that.

Concerned

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2010, 08:56:48 PM »
When my children were pre-teens there was a bully on the bus who I learned smashed their head into the bus window when he walked down the aisle on the bus. I marched into the school and they told me they know about the child. He was a troubled child for years, and was put back a year several times. His parents threatened to sue the school and they said they couldn't afford a law suit like that. However, they said it was months until the end of the school year and if he made it until then he would graduate to a higher level school and quite frankly they didn't know what else to do. I asked what they would do to ensure the safety of the school bus driver and the children on the bus for those remaining months. They didn't know what to do. I told them I would volunteer to be on that bus and that in no way would he be smashing another child's head into the bus window. They said they couldn't chance the liability. They couldn't ensure my child's safety so my child never rode the bus again. I don't believe any of the other kids went on the bus after that as well. I heard rumor that a parent, having exhausted all avenues, had a conversation with the boy and provided him with knowledge that he was being watched and if the adult heard of any other instance whatsoever, even if rumor, he would be treated exactly as he treats others, but by an adult. I don't recall hearing of a problem after that. I don't condone this behavior, but I do understand the frustration. I do recall seeing the mother with the child at school after that. I think the school insisted that she be with her child at all times if he was to continue in the school. She later put him on meds.

I think any child who reaches out to an adult, should always be protected to the fullest extent. It takes so much for the child to come to an adult for help. They may ask the adult not to do anything because it will make the situation worse, but what I believe they are really saying is 'do something that will work.'  We as adults have to find ways in which the bullies are inconvenienced and stopped.  Somebody once said, do you realize that if an adult was hit, punched, called names, harrassed continuously and was in constant danger, the perp would be arrested for serious crime, so why aren't we treating a younger person with the same respect. It is a crime. And, in those committing the crime it is a sign of a more sinister problematic person in infancy. It is the best time to solve the problems. Immediately.

lostlinganer

• Silence, in the face of injustice is complicity wi
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2010, 10:19:08 PM »
 :'(There's no doubt everybody who knows David are peeping on facebook and probably in here as well.

So! .....I hope all those ill-bred kids are hanging their heads today....and I hope their parents are hanging theirs' even lower!  ....  that goes doubly for those who stand by with their heads in the sand and pretend not to see.

I happened to step out my back door one day while living on Nicholson Ave. in New Waterford, NS.  I saw a boy about 7 or 8 lying on the sidewalk in front of me and three or four others (can't remember exact) booting and hitting him; his school books were all astray and he was helpless.  Even though I was in slippers, I grabbed the broom, and went running toward them cursing like a savage animal.  I threatened I'd be watching for them... and that if this kid's mother didn't beat them to death, I would.  I swear, I don't know what came over me...probably pictured my own son at that age.  Anyway, they ran for their lives and the boy went on slowly, and nervously,.. alone.  I should have had the good sense to speak to him.... phone his parents... and get to the heart of the problem by making an example of those bullies.  However, I was physically ill and not thinking straight back then.  I expected I'd get a call from one of the bullie's parents coming back "at me".  I didn't!  I think I scared them so bad, they never even told parents...maybe never touched that kid again??.  It's possible - because I said things like, "You like bullies?  I'll show you a f*&^&^& bully! I'll tear the fu*&*&* head off you guys, and you'll be found dead...never able to bully again!....and I'll keep watching till I get each of you!.....
« Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 10:22:12 PM by lostlinganer »

Concerned

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2010, 09:19:41 PM »
Renewed search for missing teen
Fri, 2010-04-23 02:02.
David Fortin, missing since February 2009

Police and volunteers spent a day searching a stretch of Highway 159 near St. Tite, north of Trois Rivieres. They were looking for clues in the disappearance of teenager David Fortin, missing since February of 2009 from Alma. Soon after his disappearance, a St. Tite resident had a teenager resembling David knock at his door. He says he alerted police at the time but his tip never reached the investigators handling the Fortin case. He called again earlier this year. Yesterday's search turned up no fresh clues.

http://www.cjad.com/news/565/1120385

solvy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2011, 10:43:19 AM »
Second anniversary of David Fortin's disappearance
This computer-generated image shows what David Fortin may look like now.

This computer-generated image shows what David Fortin may look like now.

Updated: Thu Feb. 10 2011 10:40:49 AM

ctvmontreal.ca

This is the second anniversary of the disappearance of David Fortin.

He was last seen leaving his home in Alma, 175 kilometres north of Quebec City, to wait for his school bus.

From 2009 into early 2010 there were numerous reported sightings of Fortin at ferry terminals, Canadiens games and in Winnipeg, but they all turned out to be false.

David was 14 years old when he was last seen. At the time he stood 1.73 m (5'8") and weighed 75 kg (165 lbs).

He has brown hair and brown eyes, and only spoke French.

The RCMP in conjunction with the Missing Children's Network has provided a photo of what David may look like now, at age 16.

Anyone who has seen David is asked to cal the Surete du Quebec at 1-800-659-4264 or the Missing Children's Network at 1-888-692-4673.

Concerned

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2011, 07:29:34 PM »
It is time the kids, on the way to school take on the grown up role. There is a time and a place to do the right thing. Now is that time. Any piece of information, any siting, any word...anything that may or may not be relevant, but remembered on that day, needs to be heard by the family, or posted, or shared, so pieces of finding David can happen.

Some day these kids will grow up, and have kids of their own. Or, they may have friends of their own, brothers or sisters...this could have been them. Someone they loved. If they do not say something, or disclose what they know, it will haunt them in later years. There is right and there is wrong. Doing the right thing is not always easy, but it is right. You would expect the same respect if this were you, your child, your friend, cousin or bro/sis.

It doesn't mean that your identity needs to be revealed. You shouldn't have to fear the same treatment. There are those that can take swift actions to follow up or keep private the disclosure. There really is no excuse, but to do the right thing.

The grieving the family must feel is too much weight to bear. Please help.

scotsquine

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2012, 04:20:56 PM »
MONTREAL - The RCMP says a Quebec teenager who has been missing for three years may have been spotted in British Columbia.

The Mounties say they received a tip that David Fortin was seen playing a guitar in a Richmond supermarket in late January.

Fortin was 14 when he disappeared from the Quebec town of Alma in February 2009.

He left home in the morning to catch his school bus but he never made it.

Quebec provincial police say nothing has come so far of their investigation into the British Columbia tip.

jobo

• View Profile

SAP

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2012, 09:21:51 PM »
Does it appear that every time someone recognizes David ... he disappears again? I sure hope he is safe in this venture of his.

http://bc.rcmp.ca/ViewPage.action?siteNodeId=50&languageId=1&contentId=24244