Sent to Crafty:
This was in my inbox this morning. The bolding and colorized text are mine. They were items/thoughts that I noted.
Criminal 'capable of killing' rearrested
By: Mike McIntyre
Supplied Kenneth Erdley Ross, 43, was arrested not long after he was released Feb. 20.
A high-risk Winnipeg criminal who was released from prison last week -- only to be rearrested hours after a public alert was issued -- has admitted being capable of "killing a number of people" and was recently interviewed by police officers from a Missing Women's Task Force in Western Canada about unsolved crimes in that region, the Free Press has learned.
Justice sources and parole documents paint a troubling portrait of Kenneth Erdley Ross, who is now back in custody at the Winnipeg Remand Centre after allegedly violating conditions of his court-ordered recognizance almost immediately after he walked out of Stony Mountain Institution last Friday.
"I absolutely believe someday I'm capable of killing a number of people," Ross told a prison psychologist while serving out his most recent sentence, according to the National Parole Board. (He had just that he was never charged with murder.)
The parole board says Ross, 43, has repeatedly mocked his many victims -- including a man whose neck was slashed and then laundry detergent was poured in the wound; a man whose eye was taken out with a slingshot; and a man beaten so violently he later died from his injuries.
"Your violence appears to be perpetrated mostly for personal gratification and implies sadism. Your psychologist discusses your self-reported sadistic fantasies of torture and rape," the parole board wrote last year in denying Ross' bid for statutory release and ordering him to serve his entire sentence.
"In reviewing your criminal history and violent offences, (Ross) laughed, describing same with what can only be described as maniacal glee, seeming to find them inordinately humorous."
Manitoba justice officials had sought to protect the public by getting a peace bond against Ross which limits and restricts his movements once his most recent four-and-a-half year prison term fully expired last week. Ross is fighting the bid, so a judge agreed to place him on conditions until the matter can be set for trial and argued. They included abstaining from drugs and alcohol, a nightly curfew and having no contact with his frightened mother or any past victims. Ross is now accused of breaching the abstain and no-contact parts of the order.
Ross told a judge last week he would "absolutely" follow the court orders and planned to live at the Salvation Army and collect welfare. He admitted he was recently visited by police officers from British Columbia pertaining to an ongoing investigation. He didn't provide any further details, but a justice source told the Free Press the investigators wanted to speak with Ross as they probe the deaths and disappearance of several women in B.C. and Alberta.
Ross has moved around the country when not in custody and actually planned to relocate to Toronto following his release from Stony but recently changed his mind to Winnipeg, court was told. He has refused any kind of treatment while in prison.
His convictions date back to 1987, when he sexually assaulted a 22-year-old Winnipeg man after binding his hands behind his back with electrical tape. Ross also slashed the man's neck several times with a knife and then poured detergent into the wounds. He was later convicted of aggravated sexual assault and sentenced to five years in prison.
"I should have killed him," Ross told a psychologist in a 2005 interview, according to the parole board. Ross said he cut the man "so he'll never forget what he (Ross) did."
Ross caused serious injury again in 1993 when he began firing BB pellets, using a slingshot, from the top of a Winnipeg hotel at random victims below. He struck one man in eye, causing permanent damage and blindness.
"You laughed when describing how the victim lost his eye," the parole board wrote last year.
Ross brutally attacked a woman in 2002 and threatened to kill her if she went to police and attacked a man in 2003 who was unknown to him. Ross and a co-accused broke into the man's home and beat him with fists and feet, causing serious injures. The victim later died, although the aggravated assault charge was never upgraded.
Ross was ultimately given a four-and-a-half year sentence for that attack and a subsequent drug offence.
"You use threats to frighten and intimidate your victims, and officers and psychologists have written of your complete lack of remorse," the parole board wrote.
Ross told prison officials "I know what is right and wrong. What I can't control is my impulsive behaviour. When I get an idea in my mind, I run with it and have no hindsight or foresight until it is too late."
The parole board concluded that "there exist no supervision programs which can adequately protect the public."
Ross is scheduled to appear in court Tuesday morning on the breach charges. His lawyer, David Soper, couldn't be reached for comment.www.mikeoncrime.com