Author Topic: Ruby Macaroff | Murdered (Feb 2009) Biggar, SK  (Read 7918 times)

Adrian

• RIP Adrian (1953 - 2009)
    • View Profile
Ruby Macaroff | Murdered (Feb 2009) Biggar, SK
« on: February 21, 2009, 04:34:50 AM »

This is a senseless tragedy, that has all the earmarks of a sadistic predator.

Autopsy confirms foul play in death of 82-year-old Saskatchewan woman
By THE CANADIAN PRESS

BIGGAR, Sask. - An autopsy has confirmed that an 82-year-old Saskatchewan woman found dead in her home this week was the victim of foul play.

Police found Ruby Macaroff's body Tuesday evening at her home in Biggar, but investigators have not released any details on the cause of her death. The autopsy was performed in Saskatoon.

The RCMP has called in the major crimes unit from Saskatoon as well as forensic indentification units from Saskatoon and North Battleford to join in the investigation.

« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 02:18:34 AM by Chris »

capeheart

• View Profile
Re: Foul Play for death of 82 year old.
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2009, 07:24:24 PM »
Adrian, that is such a sad story. You know there was a lady in Truro, NS. that was murdered by her grandson two years ago a year ago last Xmas. This lady was instrumental in getting a great deal of money paid to people who were abused in schools and they were all natives. Her grandson came to her home on Xmas Eve and murdered her, because he wanted money for drugs. A lot for that family to deal with. Within this past month he was tried and they found him guilty of 2nd Degree Murder. The family was very upset and thought he should have been convicted on 1st Degree. He wanted money for drugs. He had been at her home earlier and she gave him 20. and then he came back and wanted more and she wouldn't give it to him. It was a brutal killing and a shock to the people of Truro. She lived in a populated area. The investigation into this lady's death could be the same thing, it maybe someone close to her looking for money for drugs and that is why she was murdered, because she could identify them. Sure hope they find who did this crime. ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Adrian

• RIP Adrian (1953 - 2009)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2009, 08:01:45 PM »

You just may be right cape. Often it is drug related, and with the addictions so high now a days, a lot of people are killing their own flesh and blood. So many of the later drugs are making people more violent, and when they start mixing them, anything can and does happen.

82 years old, and to have your life end that way!!! Ugh! OMG, I hope the woman did not suffer too much.

RIP Ruby Macaroff!!! May peace be with you...

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2009, 02:17:27 AM »
Wow! In Biggar? That town is just like mine. I have not heard peep about this yet. What would someone do to an old lady in Biggar? I hope the find who did it.

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
Re: Ruby Macaroff | Murdered (Feb 2009) Biggar, SK
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2009, 03:22:56 AM »
I am glad there was an arrest. It will be quite sad to hear why this happened.

capeheart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2009, 03:58:04 PM »
There is not much information on who this man was that murdered Ruby. Was he a handyman or did she know him, I guess it is too soon to know all these details. It could have been someone who knew she was home alone and watched for his chance to go into her home. Rest in peace, Ruby. :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

mauvelilac

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2009, 04:21:42 PM »
It's so sad to think that this woman could live to 82 years of age and die in her own home at the hands of a nutcase. She might have sent a son off to war, lived through the depression and  to meet an end like this. If this man is indeed guilty, he should be locked up for the rest of his natural days. This was someone's mother, grandmother, sister, aunt etc. You expect this maybe in the larger cities but in a place the size of Biggar?  Unbelievable...                         

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2009, 12:48:39 AM »
Biggar is the same size town as the one I live in (2,000) and very simular in how the operate. Everyone knows everyone, litterly. A background check is not needed as everyone knows you business anyway. I get asked by people I have not met if I can help them with there computer or website, it is just that knowledgable.

I think maybe this guy was caught stealing or something and then reacted to it when caught.

We have grocery delivery in our town too, and mostly it is done by volunteers so they probably are not too picky as it is probably something they have a hard time getting people to do.

I'm keeping on eye on this story, it is quite sad.

raisinpie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2009, 07:09:06 PM »
Debbiec: the grocery delivery man did not murder Ruby Macaroff, he found her in a pool of blood in the house.  She was shot to death. See below story.

http://www.thestarphoenix.com/story_print.html?id=1319978&sponsor=

Biggar victim was shot: RCMP
By Jason Warick and David Hutton, TheStarPhoenix.comFebruary 23, 2009

An 82-year-old woman found dead in her Biggar home last week had been shot, RCMP now say.

Police are not yet releasing any more details about Ruby Macaroff's death, saying that's all part of an ongoing murder investigation.

Meanwhile, about 200 residents of Biggar, most of them elderly, gathered at a community hall Monday afternoon to talk about Macaroff's death.

The discussion, which was organized by a local trama response team, began with organizers asking any reporters, camera operators and photographers to wait outside.

A local man who delivers groceries found Macaroff her on the kitchen floor in a pool of blood last Tuesday. Several neighbours interviewed said they didn't hear or see anything unusual that day.

On Sunday, the Saskatoon major crimes unit arrested a 32-year-old man in connection with the killing. Barry Alexander Dearing was arrested in Biggar and is charged with first-degree murder . He appeared in a North Battleford provincial courtroom on Monday morning.

This town of 2,400 is reeling from last week?s death, believed to be the first murder there in more than 30 years.

Women who gathered at a Main Street coffee shop in Biggar Sunday afternoon were heartbroken when they heard one of their friends had been killed.

Macaroff, a longtime resident, would frequent Weazie's Gourmet Blends at the same time nearly every day, part of her rounds that included visits to the drug store and post office.

"She came in here a lot. It's so sad. It just broke my heart," said Weazie's owner Louise Foster.

"She was like one of the family. It's so unreal she's not here anymore," said Charla de Bussac, who works at the Pharmasave drug store next door.

"Yes, she was a very nice lady. This doesn't happen in Biggar," said Donna Foster.

Most residents interviewed can't ever remember a murder in the town itself. The closest thing was a murder-suicide on an area farm more than 30 years ago, they said.

Sunday afternoon, the coffee shop hosted a small business expo called the Biggar Independent Consultant Extravaganza. As the women browsed among booths of herbs, food and antiques, they remembered how Macaroff had touched their lives.

Macaroff, who never married and did not have children, would take the seniors' shuttle bus to Main Street and show up at the drug store at precisely 12:20 p.m. each weekday. She'd then head down the block to the post office, and into the coffee shop for some visiting.

"She's a very structured person. We'd see her almost every day," said de Bussac.

A yellow flyer on the wall of the coffee shop announced a Monday town meeting "addressing information and concerns over the tragic death of Ruby Macaroff."

Macaroff's routine would be interrupted periodically if she had a lunch appointment with someone such as Joyce Colbert.

"We were good friends. She'd tell you what she thought but she'd never harm anyone. I'll miss her," Colbert said.

When Colbert's husband died more than 10 years ago, she moved off the farm into town and became close friends with Macaroff. Colbert would meet her downtown for shopping. When Macaroff developed a foot problem, Colbert drove to her home to pick her up.

Macaroff cared for her parents and siblings until they died in recent years, including her brother who died just a few months ago. Colbert had been giving Macaroff regular rides to the local cemetery so she could visit the gravesites.

Outside Macaroff's house on the east side of town, no visible signs of the murder remain. Yellow police tape has been removed, and high winds have mostly covered the partial path to the detached garage with snow.

Neighbours and friends all say they feel less safe since her death, and have been careful to lock their doors at night.

helen silbernagel

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2010, 07:41:42 PM »
ok about this story you are all wrong and should learn to read things right the delivery man is the one that found her body!!!!!! he was not that one that killed her and i know this may be a old story now but i just found it on the computer today and was a bit pissed off when i saw the way that you were talking about my uncle tom (the delivery man) if you read the story it was him that found her and was barry dearing that killed her you should really think before you say shit saying that is was tom the man that took her the food that she had bought just a short time before that sicko barry took her life is enough to ruin and man life so please just read it a bit better before you have shit to say about a good man that did nothing wrong but walked in to find something that im sure he will never foget

jobo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2010, 08:25:26 PM »
Helen, I understand you being upset, as one post did say it was the delivery man, but right away another post came on and corrected that misconception.  I did the same as you, this is the first time I came across this thread, and when I came to the misquoted part....I thought...What??  But someone else corrected it.  One of my first thoughts, reading this is that when the cops were called, I bet that poor delivery guy, that probably saw Ruby every week, like clockwork, was as white as a ghost, and absolutely sick over the discovery, and as soon as the cops got there, they knew he was innocent.  And, you are right, that is something he will never forget.

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2010, 11:51:41 PM »
Yeah no one said he was the killer. We were just wondering if the person arrested was him. Clearly later on we learned it was not.

No one meant to cause any harm. Just glad someone was brought to justice. I am sure your uncle must have been quite upset to have discovered this.

Sap1

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2016, 12:19:06 PM »
Just saw this. What a horrible thing to do to an elderly woman! Or to anyone. Are all people around Biggar trigger happy?

Give me a break! He took a gun with him to confront this lady! Intention.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatchewan/killer-apologizes-to-family-of-victim-82-1.856104

The man who murdered an 82-year-old woman in Biggar, Sask., offered a tearful apology to her family on Friday.

Barry Dearing, 32, pleaded guilty in a Battleford court to second-degree murder in the shooting death of Ruby Macaroff.

"It was a stupid mistake," Dearing told the court. "It should never have happened. I'd like to say sorry to everybody."

Dearing killed Macaroff in her own home in February after she confronted him about trying to steal her truck. Macaroff had hired Dearing to shovel her walk. He did that, and then stole her truck keys.

When challenged, he shot her once in the face with a .22-calibre rifle. Then he shot her again, in the back of the head, while she leaned over her sink.

Dearing, who is from Biggar, about 75 kilometres west of Saskatoon, said he didn't want Macaroff to suffer.

"He was very impulsive," defence lawyer George Combe said outside the courthouse. "He thought by taking a gun over there he was going to scare the lady, as opposed to simply returning the keys or doing something else. His version of logic may be a little different than my version or your version, but that's just the way it was."

Although originally charged with first-degree murder, Dearing pleaded guilty to the lesser offence of second-degree murder, which carries an automatic life sentence with no eligibility for parole for a minimum of 10 years.

The court accepted a sentencing submission from the Crown and defence that Dearing not be eligible for parole for 15 years.