Author Topic: Theresa Hildebrandt - Unsolved Murder - Abbotsford \ Mount Lehman BC - 1976  (Read 9413 times)

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
the skeletal remains of Theresa Hildebrandt were found in a location that was a wooded area beside Downes Road, between the junctions of Ross Road and Mount Lehman Road. Technically the body was found in the hamlet of Mount Lehman, BC not Abbotsford/Clearbrook/Matsqui.

This is from a news clipping
KATHRYN MARY HERBERT (11) - murdered in 1975
THERESA HILDEBRANDT (15) - murdered in 1976
ABBOTSFORD (British Columbia) CANADA
After 25 years, the question remains: Who killed Kathryn and Theresa?--(Abbotsford News)--Police have a suspect in Abbotsford's two unsolved child murders of the 1970s. The man is also a suspect in a third child slaying in Merritt. But police do not have the evidence to lay charges.

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
A lady e-mailed me to tell me that her and her brother discovered her body. As you can imagine, it was very hard emotionaly to have found this at such a young age. Here is her story.

When I was 10 years old my brother and I found the skeletal remains of Theresa Hildebrandt on our way home from school - it was 1982 (+/-). The location was a wooded area beside Downes Road, between the junctions of Ross Road and Mount Lehman Road. Technically the body was found in the hamlet of Mount Lehman, BC not Abbotsford/Clearbrook/Matsqui. We often walked home from Dunach  Elementary to our house on Ross Road and cut through 'The Bush' several times to make the journey shorter.

Chris

• Administrator
  • The Webmaster
    • View Profile
Yes Merrit is the next place after hope (see map).

There was a suspect in this case too. I also can't help notice that young girls were missing all the way to Calgary during this time frame.  The highway from Hope to Kamloops was not open back in the 70's, everyone had to take the old #1 highway though. Merritt was kind of out of the way.

[attachment deleted by admin]

ImherebutImnotallthere;)

• View Profile
I know the Hildebrandt family will find justice for Theresa and all of those affected by her death.  As the survivor of a cold case child murder (my sister Kerrie Ann Brown) I can honestly say that when all is gone, there is always hope and with the arrest of Garry Taylor Handlen (whom I believe killed Theresa) and the advancements in DNA, Theresas' family will soon have answers.  Handlen is a cancer that needed to be excised from society and now it's done.  I sure hope the Hildebrandt's along with Kathryn-Mary Herbert and Monica Jacks' families find some assemblence of peace after all of this has passed.  Until death, nothing truly 'passes' for the family and friends of a murdered child, nor should it.